Hamm's - Hamm's Brewing Co.

Hamm'sHamm's

poor

Hamm's Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hamm's Alström Bros
Ratings: 659 | Reviews: 249
1.87/5  rDev -29.7%

Cheap. Cheap. This beer is very hard to even find anymore. Pissy and fizzy. Soapy head. The smell of cheap beer made from substandard ingredients. Tastes like metal, hay, and dirt. Thin and watery. But you can drink a lot of them with your jerkoff friends around a campfire. The price is the indicator when you buy this product. You don't buy this for the quality. You buy this for drinking large amounts. And that's a purpose it serves well. Cheap.

3.22/5  rDev +21.1%

12 oz. can, from a 12-pack bought at the local BevMo for $5.99,

A: Pours a light, yellow colour from the can, into a mug, nice white head at first, but bad retention, no lacing, big bubbles.

S: Smells of light corn and malt, but fuller than most macros.

T: Tastes quite sweet from the malt and obvious corn adjuncts used, but it is not off-putting at all. A light flavour, that is a step up from the almost nothingness in taste that is today's mass-produced industrial lager, and I even tasted a bit of hops, the taste reminded me a lot of Schlitz.

M: Bubbly, light, a tad insipid, but it could be worse.

D: One of the better macros I've had, and cheaper than BMC to boot. A good choice if you're short on cash, but wan't a beer.

2.95/5  rDev +10.9%

It is amazing to find this around. It brings back memories of the imposing Hamm's brewery building, the Hamm's bear and the Pabst brewery tour I took back in the early 90s. The tour guide told us they used Hamm's to fill the generic beer cans.

Still an all right beer, any port in a storm.

Light, pale yellow appearance. Minimal malt smells and taste characteristics. Thin mouthfeel.

2.1/5  rDev -21.1%

Haven’t seen this in the store for years. Thought it was long gone. Reading the commercial description made me laugh out loud. "Another classic beer produced by Pabst Brewing." Thats hard to say with a straight face. My dad used to drink this in the 60’s. I drank it in High School some in the early 80’s. Cheap American beer.

3.11/5  rDev +16.9%

Saw this one on tap at a local watering hole, the kind that local factory guys come to after a good days work, so I had to try it; besides, 3 dollars for a mini pitcher how can you go wrong?

I was expecting something between bud light and water, and no surprise, thats what I got. But what I was surprised at was how comfortable this beer was to drink. It wasn't over carbonated like most light lagers, and it didn't have the slight bitter - however faint - to it of most of the macros.

No, this one is straw pale and a ridiculously easy drink, exactly what I want when I want something refreshing and light; which is what you get.

2.35/5  rDev -11.7%

CANOE!!!

from the land of sky blue waters...not bad. it has been a while since i had this, but it was decent. i didnt think this was made anymore. i have not seen it in the stores for years.

another of the many many good lawnmowing and cookout beers.

dont think too hard on the Canoe comment. only about 10 people in the world know what that means and i doubt any of them are members of BA.

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

3.3/5  rDev +24.1%

Do you see how I rated this beer? 3.3 on the Richter Scale. I mean, good grief, give this beer a break. In 1964 when I first drank this "mother's milk" I would have rated it 3.3. It hasn't changed, thank goodness. This is the type of beer that my grandpa and dad drank when coming in from lawn mowing. Push mower I might add. Sheeesh, let's get with the program my friends and honor the name cherished by millions of teenagers in the middle 60's. From the Land of Sky Blue Waters, and always will be.

3.07/5  rDev +15.4%

a: light yellow, eigth inch head that dissapears fast leaving only a trace of lacing
s: sweet corn malts lemony smell
t: starts out with sweet corn malts, ahint of lemony hop flavor, but not watered down, this isnt too bad
m: light bodied with average carbonation, nothing special

overall this is not a bad beer for the price, i picked it up cause i thought it would be cool to try.

2.27/5  rDev -14.7%

This pours from 12oz can a light gold with a smallish head of foam that doesn't hang around very long and there's just a wee bit of lacing.

The smell is very strongly of corn and sweet malt.

The taste on first sip is all sweet malt and corn. A few more sips in and there's some citrusy hops, mostly lemon, in the background that is most noticeable near and through the finish but I can't say it does a good enough job to save this beer from a short and less than stellar review from yours truly.

3.88/5  rDev +45.9%

Appearance: Pours a very pale yellow, nice looking soapy white head has left a decent lacing capping the beer. Beer is icy cold and frosted the glass a bit.

Smell: Some musty grains, cooked rice, a little grassy hops, actually balanced and refreshing.

Taste: Very light bready sweetness, a little lemony citrus, hops are very faint but balance, the beer becomes biscuity in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Crisp rolling carbonation, body is light but not as watery as some competitors, very drinkable.

Drinkability: This was surprisingly balanced and refreshing, stays looking good, superior mouthfeel to other AML.

1.77/5  rDev -33.5%

"headache in a can"

I had this beer last summer at a family get together because someone brought it, the nerve of them!

Drank it out of a can.

Smell some malt and yeast?

Taste sweet, not really a malt sweetness, just sweet.

It doesn't offend and has a sweet after taste.

I got a headache after I finished the 2nd can and needed to take asprin and switch to iced tea.

2.83/5  rDev +6.4%

Went on a beer run fro St Paddy's. Asked a buddy what he wanted. He said anything but PBR, so on a lark we grabbed a six pack of Hamm's. I'm sure the liquor store made their own six packs in the back the way I used to when I worked at a convenience store in college. Still only costed $3.19.

For reviewing, I did pour into a pilsener glass. Short fizzy head that quickly receded to nothing. No lacing, despite the active carbonation. Color is a pale straw yellow.
Smell is barely there. What smell there is is a blended cereal. Taste is also a very cereal malt, but not one type really dominates. It's not corn, could be rice.
Mothfeel is very light and watery.
Despite all of that, it is very drinkable. Would be good for the summer after mowing the lawn.

3.02/5  rDev +13.5%

Refreshing as the land of sky-blue waters (wa-a-ters)
Land of Lake and Pine
cool enchantment
comes the beer refreshing,
Hamm's, the beer refreshing,
Hamm's...

if you know anything about Minnesota beer history, you know that jingle.
And I can't believe it's taken me this long to get to a can of Hamm's!

"Since 1865", says the can. Also, "America's Classic Premium Beer, Born in the land of sky blue waters." (Hey, that's here!) "Brewed in true family tradition from purest water and choicest barley malt, grain, and hops." Goody!

Ultra-clear, straw yellow color, some bone-white head at first, then it's gone.

Grainy nose, with some sweet malt evident, faint hops, but that's par for the style...wait, now I get it, it's injecting some bare bitterness into the sweet malt factor, arriving at a funky feel. Definitely not bad, not unpleasant, with some character.

Taste: not much here, mostly moisture. Slim flavors, if any...grainyness, at best. Malt is shy in this respect, the water rises above anything else. It's like lemonade without the lemon, and Kool-Aid without the Kool.

I can't really recommend Hamm's at all to anyone, unless your chief factors in deciding on a beer are cheapness of price and wateryness of flavor. There are many out there that fall into this category, Lord Love 'Em. I have a hard time knocking it...it's not bad, it is what it is...but, it's not much.

And they had a cool macot once, dress up in his costume, visit a strip club, and see what happens...

2.98/5  rDev +12%

This review is part of Macro Smackdown XIV. Hamm's has an interesting history. The brand originated in St. Paul, MN and has since been owned by Olympia, Miller and now Pabst. It's now brewed in the Pabst brewery in Milwaukee, the same facility that brews its competitor today, Old Style Beer. Let's see which one is the better pale lager.

Hamm's is almost indistinguishable from the other beer. I don't like its cap quite as much since it's smaller, less creamy, less persistent and leaves no lace, but then Old Style isn't exactly a masterpiece either. Sad to say that most people will never see either one since the beer will be going from can to mouth.

The nose is about what I expected. Unfortunately, even though it's similar in nature to Old Style's nose, it isn't quite as enjoyable. It smells less fresh (even though the beer is fresh) and more musky. A minor difference, but a significant one.

Given the aroma, I thought Hamm's would suffer on the palate, but that isn't the case. It tastes quite a bit like Old Style and I'm not sure I could tell them apart if I wasn't drinking them side by side. This is actually pretty refreshing beer if your expectations aren't sky high. If I had to drink an ice cold macro lager at a cookout in July, either one of these would do just fine.

After multiple mouthfuls, I've decided that it's impossible to tell the mouthfeels apart. They're both acceptable for the style in terms of heft and carbonation. I still struggle with reviewing *completely* to style, so the scores won't be quite as high as they would be if I did.

As noted in the Old Style review, I continue to be impressed by Pabst. The beer they create (these two plus Pabst Blue Ribbon especially) is so superior to Budweiser, Miller and Coors products that I'm surprised at the sales figures. Well... maybe I'm not. Advertising dollars usually win out. Even though Hamm's is technically the loser of MacSmack XIV, it's still worthwhile beer for when you have a hankering to go old school.

3.05/5  rDev +14.7%

Wow, what a beer. It brings back memories. I can remember my dad stopping at the local store and picking up a case of it. I can remember my parents and their friends playing cards and drinking this beer.
I found this little gem in the Batesville Liquior Store in Batesville, IN. it is not bad for a macrobrew. It is also very cheap! It has a decent mouthfeel and a crisp finish. You can taste the corn but that is not a bad thing in hoosierland!

3.65/5  rDev +37.2%

Reviewing this for what it is, an inexpensive lawnmower beer. If you start with the macro brew idea firmly implanted you won't be disappointed. Drinkability is excellent because you won't notice the first 2 ,overall a better choice to me than Miller Lite or Bud for a softball game or the weekend fishing trip.

2.63/5  rDev -1.1%

A - Poured a 12oz can into a pint glass. Pale yellow and highly carbonated, it actually had a 1 to 2-finger head and left some lacing.

S - It smelled like corn and grains. No skunk-like smells that often come with the style.

T - It is fairly sweet and has a slight malt taste. Mostly tastes like corn.

M - A little thin and light-bodied.

D - Overall, it is fairly good. Considering the price it is a bargain.

2.08/5  rDev -21.8%

I bought a 40 of this and iced that baby up. It had a dirty corn taste, some sweet cereal malts and a little more body than your average cheap-o cruddy lager. It put a hurtin on me somethin' fierce though. Dull yellow in appearance, and almost no head. This one needs to get really cold before one should attempt it. Finish it quick before it warms up. A good accompaniment to Oreos, Cheatoz, bbq fritos, and honey-buns.

3.88/5  rDev +45.9%

Dim sun yellow. Thick and frothy white head. Great retention and some apeasing lace is left as well. Aroma is corny, grainy and sweet. Not off putting by any means. Very agreeable taste. Mild malts. Sweet wort like graininess. A touch of hop dryness...I think. Body is heft for a macro. I'd call it medium to medium-full. One of the better macros I've had in a long time.

1.31/5  rDev -50.8%

Holy nasty skunk batman.

This is some seriously bad beer. It's a cold "fresh" Hamm's. And it is really, really, really bad.

We all should be careful with our reviews and not set out to bash any specific beer. I must say, however, that this beer is in serious need of bashing. I did not enjoy the smell (my wife said it smelled like "skunky butt") or the taste. The head looked like marshmallow creme and the color was golden. It went down easy, but due to the flavor, I couldn't drink more than one can.

If you check my reviews you will note that I do not generally give such low scores, but in this case I'm going as low as possible to save my fellow advocates the pain.

Container Volume: 355ml

Container type: bottle

Fresh: y

Purchased @: anywhere

Cost: cheap

Head: none

Lace: none

Color: pale yellow

Aroma: tinny

Mouthfeel: light

Palate: curls the tongue

Taste: Tastes like any other pale American lager...all fake carbonation. again only drank this because it was cheap and we wanted a buzz. Seriously, DON'T get this.

Conditions:
Mowing/Working on car- n
With Friends- n
Sipping- n
Get my buzz on- n

3.63/5  rDev +36.5%

Hamm’s is a solid beer and great for drinking when PBR and Schlitz aren’t available. It’s very bitter for the style, putting BMC brews to shame. The best part about drinking Hamm’s is that when you drink it, people watching all think, “Wow, now that’s a MAN!”…well, either that or, “Wow, now that’s a drunk!” Hamm’s appearance is very similar to its cousins PBR, Old Style, Schlitz, and Blatz. When you poor Hamm’s into a glass (which should always be frosted because Hamm’s in a frosted glass has no negative flavors what-so-ever) you will see that it has a two inch thick, frothy white head for nearly 1.3 seconds. After that the froth becomes a thin, glass clinging lace. The body is hydrated urine with tons of carbonation. Hamm’s has a great lightly hopped metallic aroma and really tells you that the slightest amount of malt just might be involved someplace in the beer. The taste is even better and makes it obvious that Hamm’s is only made with sky blue waters. There is even a little bit of grain in Hamm’s. The Mouthfeel is light and as aforementioned, bitter. It goes down really well. The only bad thing about Hamm’s is that it’s proudly made by Unions, which means that for every $8 you spend on a case, a penny or so is going to eliminate American jobs and ruin our economy. That’s just sad but overall, the strong points of Hamm’s more then make up for that one small down side.

2.65/5  rDev -0.4%

Presented in a 24oz "Power Cylinder" (my words, not the marketing dept.'s). This was my drink of choice my first year or so in college, and I'm still a semi-avid collector of memorabilia featuring the Hamm's Bear.

Pours a pale straw color topped by a small, fizzy white head. Aroma is pretty much nonexistent. Not good, not bad, just not much of anything. Palate is lightly sweet, with very light adjunct malt and just a touch of fruity hops. Finish is clean and slightly bitter. Body is light, a tad fizzy, and a little bit tangy on the finish. I will say this - you can drink the hell out of this beer. Good in the large quantities preferred by non-discriminating types.

3.13/5  rDev +17.7%

Pours out of the can a clear brownish yellow with a thin white head.

Smells of musky sour corn malt and a touch of harsh dryness.

Tastes like college. I mean it tastes like corn and a touch of oranges with a tough yeasty finish with a bit of pepper and metal.

Mouth feel is very think for a crappy beer with a light smooth carbonation.

What can I say? If I ever had to drink a lot of beers again, I’d still have to choose Hamm’s. At $14 a 30 pack, you just can't go wrong.

3.25/5  rDev +22.2%

Well, perhaps I was being under the annoyance of those Central America beers with a lot of corn additives, but I really did not like this one. I found a lot of those in it, and really wanted to throw it away after a while. But going backwards, it had a nice bread smell.

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.