Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Hamm's - Hamm's Brewing Co.

Hamm'sHamm's

poor

Hamm's Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hamm's Alström Bros
2.63/5  rDev -9%

A - Poured a 12oz can into a pint glass. Pale yellow and highly carbonated, it actually had a 1 to 2-finger head and left some lacing.

S - It smelled like corn and grains. No skunk-like smells that often come with the style.

T - It is fairly sweet and has a slight malt taste. Mostly tastes like corn.

M - A little thin and light-bodied.

D - Overall, it is fairly good. Considering the price it is a bargain. (412 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -28%

I bought a 40 of this and iced that baby up. It had a dirty corn taste, some sweet cereal malts and a little more body than your average cheap-o cruddy lager. It put a hurtin on me somethin' fierce though. Dull yellow in appearance, and almost no head. This one needs to get really cold before one should attempt it. Finish it quick before it warms up. A good accompaniment to Oreos, Cheatoz, bbq fritos, and honey-buns. (420 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +34.3%

Dim sun yellow. Thick and frothy white head. Great retention and some apeasing lace is left as well. Aroma is corny, grainy and sweet. Not off putting by any means. Very agreeable taste. Mild malts. Sweet wort like graininess. A touch of hop dryness...I think. Body is heft for a macro. I'd call it medium to medium-full. One of the better macros I've had in a long time. (371 characters)

1.31/5  rDev -54.7%

Holy nasty skunk batman.

This is some seriously bad beer. It's a cold "fresh" Hamm's. And it is really, really, really bad.

We all should be careful with our reviews and not set out to bash any specific beer. I must say, however, that this beer is in serious need of bashing. I did not enjoy the smell (my wife said it smelled like "skunky butt") or the taste. The head looked like marshmallow creme and the color was golden. It went down easy, but due to the flavor, I couldn't drink more than one can.

If you check my reviews you will note that I do not generally give such low scores, but in this case I'm going as low as possible to save my fellow advocates the pain. (680 characters)

Container Volume: 355ml

Container type: bottle

Fresh: y

Purchased @: anywhere

Cost: cheap

Head: none

Lace: none

Color: pale yellow

Aroma: tinny

Mouthfeel: light

Palate: curls the tongue

Taste: Tastes like any other pale American lager...all fake carbonation. again only drank this because it was cheap and we wanted a buzz. Seriously, DON'T get this.

Conditions:
Mowing/Working on car- n
With Friends- n
Sipping- n
Get my buzz on- n (472 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +25.6%

Hamm’s is a solid beer and great for drinking when PBR and Schlitz aren’t available. It’s very bitter for the style, putting BMC brews to shame. The best part about drinking Hamm’s is that when you drink it, people watching all think, “Wow, now that’s a MAN!”…well, either that or, “Wow, now that’s a drunk!” Hamm’s appearance is very similar to its cousins PBR, Old Style, Schlitz, and Blatz. When you poor Hamm’s into a glass (which should always be frosted because Hamm’s in a frosted glass has no negative flavors what-so-ever) you will see that it has a two inch thick, frothy white head for nearly 1.3 seconds. After that the froth becomes a thin, glass clinging lace. The body is hydrated urine with tons of carbonation. Hamm’s has a great lightly hopped metallic aroma and really tells you that the slightest amount of malt just might be involved someplace in the beer. The taste is even better and makes it obvious that Hamm’s is only made with sky blue waters. There is even a little bit of grain in Hamm’s. The Mouthfeel is light and as aforementioned, bitter. It goes down really well. The only bad thing about Hamm’s is that it’s proudly made by Unions, which means that for every $8 you spend on a case, a penny or so is going to eliminate American jobs and ruin our economy. That’s just sad but overall, the strong points of Hamm’s more then make up for that one small down side. (1,415 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -8.3%

Presented in a 24oz "Power Cylinder" (my words, not the marketing dept.'s). This was my drink of choice my first year or so in college, and I'm still a semi-avid collector of memorabilia featuring the Hamm's Bear.

Pours a pale straw color topped by a small, fizzy white head. Aroma is pretty much nonexistent. Not good, not bad, just not much of anything. Palate is lightly sweet, with very light adjunct malt and just a touch of fruity hops. Finish is clean and slightly bitter. Body is light, a tad fizzy, and a little bit tangy on the finish. I will say this - you can drink the hell out of this beer. Good in the large quantities preferred by non-discriminating types. (675 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours out of the can a clear brownish yellow with a thin white head.

Smells of musky sour corn malt and a touch of harsh dryness.

Tastes like college. I mean it tastes like corn and a touch of oranges with a tough yeasty finish with a bit of pepper and metal.

Mouth feel is very think for a crappy beer with a light smooth carbonation.

What can I say? If I ever had to drink a lot of beers again, I’d still have to choose Hamm’s. At $14 a 30 pack, you just can't go wrong. (490 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +12.5%

Well, perhaps I was being under the annoyance of those Central America beers with a lot of corn additives, but I really did not like this one. I found a lot of those in it, and really wanted to throw it away after a while. But going backwards, it had a nice bread smell. (270 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -17.3%

12 oz can obtained from a local grocery (HyVee) and consumed a couple days later. Pours a one-finger white fiszzy settling head over a crystal clear very light straw colored liquid. Smells mild hop and 2-row barley sweet. Tastes watery. Malt sweet is very gentle. Hop presence is there, but it's amazingly low. As it warms I get some saaz and maybe hallertauer. Watery mouthfeel and sharp carbonation that's actually part of the taste profile (because there's not much here to taste). (484 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -4.2%

Appearance - Pours very light, in fact, lite light. Very sudsy foam quickly disappates. Lacing negatory.

Smell - Faint sweet adjuncty smell. Like almost every other light lager.

Taste - Slight malt flavor. Noticably less sweet than many macros. Very watery and clearly lighter than most.

Mouthfeel - Quite watery. Little bit of foam, but less than average.

Drinkability - Very inoffensive, but distinctly indistinct. I was surprised this wasn't worse. As it stands, I wouldn't seek a Hamm's out, but if one should happen into my mouth I wouldn't spit it out. A solid average macrobrew.

This beer was one I always associated with poverty and lack of class. Surprisingly it is noticeably better than some (macro) beers with better reputations (I;m looking at you Bud and Coors).

In conclusion, "The beer refreshing" - it certainly could be if the beer is cold enough and the day is hot enough. "Land of sky blue waters" - probably not, unless Milwaukee moved away from Milwaukee. (996 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -2.8%

Standing in the cooler room, I was having trouble deciding what to buy. Behind me on the shelf, for roughly the same price as a 22oz, was a sixer of Hamm's 16 oz. cans. I took the physical challenge.

Poured, its a very light yellow, rim of foam (yes, I did pour it into a pilsner on the first one) and moderate carbonation. Aroma is as if a robot had drank a pilsner, then peed it out. Kind of pilsner, kind of robot.

The taste, coming from the same sensory mechanism of smell, is not that different. Its thin, very light in flavors that are predominantly sweet malt and just a turning edge of bitterness. Nothing strong, nothing assertive. But that makes it very drinkable. Plus, it's union made. That helps when it's this cheap. (736 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -42.6%

After checking my records, it has been some ten years since I have had a Hamm’s. The beer spews from the 12-ounce aluminum can a cloudless gold with a pleasant bright white head that is frothy in texture, with the resultant lace a thin covering upon the glass. Nose is all malt, crisp and the start sweet with the top cadaverous. Finish is caustic in its acidity, the hops bitter and unpleasant, quite dry and the taste sticks to your palate like crazy glue, a once decent beer that has now become a joke. (506 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -47.1%

Really horrible. I drank this one out of a 12 oz. can purchased from Allied Liquors #3, one of my favorite cheap beer/malt spots here in indianapolis. They sell singles of all kinds of low-end shit, with a rotating selection in iced-down coolers. Nice.

I don't blame them for the fact that this shit tastes like malta india with a jigger of heinz white vinegar in it.

no, it wasn't that bad, but the first sip was a real shock. I was speeding down 38th street towards home as the astringent shock hit my tongue and sent me reeling. further sips revealed that yes, Hamm's is horrible, a morbid mockery of a brew. And i love cheap beer!

Do yourself a favor and buy a schlitz or pbr instead.. (700 characters)

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

And we come to another once of the crappy beers on my list to purchase and try. This is the current case I have sitting in my fridge. A friend of mine told me this was the worst beer he has ever had, and quite frankly he couldn't be wrong. This beer just has a bad carbonated corn taste that turns me off. It is more full than competing beers, but this isn't saying much at all. Each of the cheap macro brews has their own subtle taste after you are hit with the carbonation and watery generic beer flavor, and Hamm's has been the worst to date. I hold this up there with Stroh's. Schlitz still remains my number one go to beer when the funds are low and the need for feed is high. The case was under ten dollars so it is one of the few beers out there that you can still get somewhat of a bargain on. (801 characters)

This tastes like the breath of a man who lives on the street and does nothing but drink Natural Ice. It tastes likes that man's pee. There is nothing, NOTHING, in this world worse than Hamm's. I just *had* to try another one, just to tell myself how bad it was. This was a shock from the past that I will not soon forget. (321 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -17.6%

This poured out of the can with a bright gold and a decent amount of head. I was a little suprised at how well the head lasted, too. There's not much lace to speak of.

The taste is of cheap grains and watery generic lager. For some reason, there's a touch of pepper in the finish.

This beer is almost acceptable. (318 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -2.1%

Medium gold with a big white head. Smells a lot like grain and a little like malt. Taste is actually more complex than most cheap beers. Starts out with a watery malt flavor, then passes into an adjunct flavor. For it's very low ($12.99 a 30 pack) price, this is quite a deal. (276 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +8.3%

Okay, with a beer fridge full of imports, and domestic micro-brews I really feel guilty about this one. I'm "slumming-it" in the greatest sense. But, and as the saying goes it's a BIG but, this stuff ain't bad. Sure, it lacks anything that could be called character, but it is what it is. This cheap macro-swill actually stands up. It's got more taste then you might think, and it's best served very cold in a tall glass. The quicker you drink it, the better, because it does show some negativity near the end. But, it IS refreshing, and the first few sips are pretty good. I've had it on tap, and I must say that adds something. But, at $4.50/12 pack, you can't beat it. It's a quiet beer that has survived. No mattter what part of the bottom shelf it's hiding on, beneath the Boulevards and the Fuller's etc., etc., etc., dig it out. This might surprise you. It's not trying to be great, but it does a pretty good job at being good, better than average, and most of all, refreshing. (984 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -22.1%

Good golly, here we go. Same look as most beers in this price catagory, reminds me of a headache. The smell actually gives me one (or was it the truckload of beer i had last night?). Either way, you are getting what you pay for with this one, a buzz. Taste is not great. Better priced than some of the other shitty beers however. All in all Not sweet. (351 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -15.9%

Was at a party tonight and somebody threw a 12 box of 12 ounce cans into the ice tub. Common tactic used by clowns who most likely traded up to a more expensive product.

They'd been laying around in the ice water for a couple of hours, so they were pretty darn cold by the time I had one. Almost too cold, if there is such a thing. There were plenty of other beer available -- but I wanted to see how the venerable old brand was doing these days.

Drank out of the can, sorry purists, so no comments on the head. The beer itself surpassed my expectations. Sweet corn smell. Light, watery taste at first, followed by a burst of strong, but not obnoxious carbonation -- which led to a decent overall flavor. Nothing really stood out -- either good or bad. A good, well balanced lager. Nothing more, nothing less.

Remember when Hamm's was huge back in 70's. For a while, this stuff was truly foul. When General or Pabst owned this brand -- I really think they just mixed together some chemicals to make yellow foaming liquid that got yo buzzed. Today, I believe SABMiller brews this stuff -- and the quality of their operation shows in the product. Definitely worth a try. (1,177 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -18%

Hamm’s yes the beer from sky blue waters, Hamm’s refreshing, Hamm’s. Cripes, its been along time since I’ve seen this beer, and longer since I’ve had it. It pours from the can a panther piss yellow. A vigorous pour stirs up the bubbles, but not long enough to register a head that impresses itself. Thick, gorgeous Belgian lace! (true or false, the last sentence was not sarcastic). Adjuncty, barn yard aroma. The taste ain’t half as bad as it ought to be, mainly because its not got much taste at all. Sweet, corny, light bodied. Hell, I bought it as a lark, yet I’m not wholly dis-satisfied. Two dollars and forty-nine cents for a smoking hot six of Hamm’s, money not totally wasted. (733 characters)

3.19/5  rDev +10.4%

a re-review.
i felt the need to re-review this beer because it's now $10 a 30 pack locally...making it almost the cheapest macro selection around. i usually chose high life, but oddly i've been swilling this stuff lately.

hamm's pours out clear and quite light golden, with a minimal head that dies quickly. practically no lace. the aroma is grainy and grassy; not obnoxiously of cheap adjuncts, but more pleasant. the taste follows suit, the grain/grass combination really asserts itself and the hopping really can be noted. while the maltiness is noticeably thin and watery, it still tastes fairly refreshing. i would rate it slightly higher in drinkability, just becasue it doesn't taste bad. those macro drinkers who like the neutral flavors of anheuser-busch will be offended by the character of this beer. but i'm not. while drinking this beer, i think about growing up in the land of sky blue waters, and how our minnesota forefathers appreciated this beer while engaging in their favorite leisurely pastimes.

a side note...my favourite beer glass, which i sample most of my beers in, is a classic hamm's pint schooner. oh, the nostalgia.... (1,155 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -5.5%

Another of the great American classic lagers, the Hamm's brew filled a spot in the lineup of "not bad cheap beers." Good looking pour of clear straw color and a 3/4 inch white head. Malt nose with a faint trace of hops. The flavor moderates with warming and moves from sweet maltiness to a grain sense. It was a decent enough beer for the price, but not enough staying power against the macros. (394 characters)

2.97/5  rDev +2.8%

Decided to review this beer..having seen it in the local Safeway for years but never had the courage to try it..bought in the 24 oz can for 99cents.
IIts appearance is very non-desript..there is a finger sized head for a minute or so after pouring , but it dissapears quicjk..leaving very little trace..the beer is a dark golden colour.
Hardly any smell at all just a hint of corn syrup maybe a small amount of malrt..but even this goes quick.
actually doesnt taste to bad for a cheapo very sweet though.
I suppoe this is drinkable enough on a hot summer day after yard work..but not one I will grab again.

NOte this beer grew on me I did buy more..much more a good backyard BBQ swiller. (694 characters)

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.