Hamm's - Hamm's Brewing Co.

Hamm'sHamm's

poor

Hamm's Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hamm's Alström Bros

2.5/5  rDev -6%

3.5/5  rDev +31.6%

2.51/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Pours light straw yellow with a thick white head that descends to a lasting thin cover. A little lacing sticks.

The smell is of a hint of grain - relatively inoffensive.

The taste is of mild sweet grain, water, more water... Mild sweetness is balanced by a hint of non-descript hops. There is a touch of soap that mixes in and out.

It is crisp - not too fizzy considering the style.

I would easily chose a Miller High Life over this - and I did follow it with one - big difference. The money went to the same brewery, anyway.

This is cheap beer - and below average for that, in my opinion. Not enjoyable, though I was able to chug the second half and move on.

2.5/5  rDev -6%

3.23/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

16oz Tallboy
$3.99 6-Pack
West Side Liquors - Morris, IL

Hamm's is straw golden with 100% clarity. The pure white head, surprisingly hangs around for a while which is notable since most macros fizzle away in no time. Points. There's even a spot or two of lace left on the glass.

Light but semi-sweet maltiness make up the body. Grain and corn together but indistinguishable. I've never sat and pondered a Hamm's before but there's actually a touch of grassy hoppiness in the background and it's clean. Nice, for what it is.

Semi-sweet, but indistinguishable, maltiness is the major factor here. There is crisp graininess though with none of the ho-hum mediocrity of the big guys. There's a touch of floral quality on the finish but keep in mind when I say 'touch' I mean 'barely noticeable'.

The body is light and the carbonation is active enough to keep this beer moving at a considerable rate. A clean finish wraps things up.

Hamm's is made for drinking. Of all the American lagers out there this and Schlitz tussle for king of the mountain. If you noticed in my review I mentioned how clean and grainy this beer is, just as I think it should be. For what this beer is it's respectable.

2.74/5  rDev +3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from 16oz tall can (what else?) into a pint glass. I can't believe, 1,825 reviews in, I'm *finally* reviewing my beloved Hamm's. It's a crazy world.

Appearance: almost colorlessly pale yellow hue; no haze with a very strong effervescence. Head poured a finger of white foam and quickly dissipated. Good? No. But I know those bubbles are going straight to my brain.

Smell: lightly grainy and plasticy. Why do I like this beer? It must be the nostalgia.

Taste: stale bread soaked in water, stored in a Nalgene bottle for a few weeks. However, it also tastes like good times down at my local pub back in the day. So call it what you will.

Mouthfeel: very light body but a big, strong effervescence that generates a surprisingly good creaminess. Ba dow!

Overall: Hamm's. No additional comments needed.

2.99/5  rDev +12.4%

12 oz can into a pint glass

Ap- pours a very clear light yellow color with a bright white head about 1/4 inch with crappy retention

Ar- straw, water, tin, with the faintest hop and malt aroma

T- sweet light malt, water, and some hay and a touch of corn

M- very light bodied and good carbonation

O- It's Hamm's for damn sake, I wasn't expecting much when I bought this beer but I was going for cheapness. It's $15.99 for a 30 pack and it tastes just as good as any other AAL. Cheers!

3.25/5  rDev +22.2%

3.73/5  rDev +40.2%

Tonight after bowling league I picked up 12 cans of Hamms beer for around $6.99. I like to revisit the old industrial lagers from time to time. I'm on number three and I have to say I'm digging this beer. Looks like an old time lager should. Very clear and very pale. Aroma sort of leaps out you, for an adjunct lager that is. First of all it doesn't smell like corn, that's something right there. Second, I can smell hops, honest to goodness hops. Not like really powerful hops, but they are there in all their floral, grassy ahem, glory. Tastes alright. Again, doesn't taste like corn. It's not an overly sweet, corn flavored beer. It's light and wheaty, with a touch of grassy hops. Off dry finish. Nice full carbed up mouth. This beer is solid and mostly stands out for what it doesn't have. That is its lack of sweet, corny flavour. Clean and basic with a touch of hops.

3.65/5  rDev +37.2%

From a 30pk case of cans, poured into a lager mug. Never really noticed until this last can of the case, this beer has a very dull gold color, drab.

Nice thick head, last for a bit. Heavy beer aroma, dissapated with the foam, slightly, slightly sweet.

Nice unassuming flavor, wheaty, small, but distinguishable taste of hops. Malty on the back of the tongue with a dry malt aftertaste. I could chug this down quite quickly. Easy to drink even as it warms.

Hamms the beer refreshing, great with a shot of brandy, pizza, steak, or any American fare. Have a beer, have a Hamms.

2.25/5  rDev -15.4%

Still in the airport. Flight still delayed. Let's try this random adjunct. Localish/regional pilsner. Poured by the bartender into a silly Sam Adams perfect pint tulip. Didn't leave the can.

A: Fairly pale yellow body with 2-3 fingers of sudsy head. Water clear. Thin coat of head by about 2 minutes. Wasn't expecting any miracles. Didn't see any. No red flags, though.

S: Corn. Grainy sweetness. Faint malt. Grass. It is what it is, I suppose. Less than appealing, but not grossly offensive.

T: Very sweet with corn and biscuit notes. Some light bitterness on the finish. Sweetness is cloying. This is declining as it goes... My mouth tastes peculiarly of salt water about half-way down the glass. Now the metallic flavors are creeping in... Not good. Finished the glass though.

M: Prickly, moderately high carbonation. No surprises here. Standard american adjunct feel. Kinda club soda.

O: Ordered this for fun. Honestly, I wasn't expecting more than I received. I'd rather have a Bud. I would like to see how it drinks out of the can.

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.