Join our email list →

Hamm's - Hamm's Brewing Co.

Hamm'sHamm's

poor

Hamm's Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States | website

American Adjunct Lager | 4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hamm's Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev +16.1%

This is really the perfect beer for drinking in a smoky room with sticky floors, late at night, after you may have over-imbibed. The sweet corn is understated considering the style and it still has a discernible hop flavor and bitterness to accompany.

2.69/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Had this at a party and it was much better than I expected.

The flavor profile for this offering is not as corny as most other AALs.

It's a cheap alternative to other AALs and as a bonus it's union made.

1.71/5  rDev -38.9%

Not to big of a fan of Hamms. My parents sell it for $1 a can at there bar. I've had a few, but really just don’t like it. I generally only order this when a group of us are sharing rounds on the cheap.

1.25/5  rDev -55.4%

An elderly friend of mine gave me one of these in a gesture of kindness. I took one sip and poured the rest down his kitchen sink when he wasn't looking. Maybe it was skunky, but damn I couldn't stomach it.

appearance has a yellow and gold look with moderate amount of carbonation. Hams smells like your typical american adjunct lager grainy and cook vegetables. Taste is grainy and smooth. It is very easy drinking beer . Mouthfeel is light but not watery . Overall hams I the top tasting cheap american lagers on market and cam compete with other lagers wich are priced higher .

3.19/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I believe this is the best cheap beer out there, at $12.19 a thirty it's an unbelievable value for me, way above Stag, PBR, or Milwaukee's best (witch I tend to consume in high volume). It's no craft beer by any means, but for a classic American beer this is a home run for me.

3.49/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampling right now on 8/7/14, but had this once before back in 2012. Last time was in a 12 ounce can, this is a 16 ouncer. Bought a 6-16 ouncer for $4.98 yesterday at the local 'No Frills' grocery store. can(s) chilled down to 36 degrees in my beer cooler and poured into a vintage 'Hamm's' pilsner hour-glass from the late 1960's.

Pours a pale straw-yellow in color with a thin white head that settles down to just along the sides of the glass. Lots of small streaming bubbles are seen rising from the bottom of the glass. Good carbonation. Some very light spotty lacing is seen when sipped. The aroma is of sweet grass/grains with a hint of floral and hay even. The taste is pretty close to the aroma with some corn sweetness in the mix as well. A little light-bodied but decent. Goes down easy and is really cent for the price as you can buy a 30-pack for $14.98 or a 6 of 'Tall Boys' for just $4.98. Overall not a bad brew.

3.94/5  rDev +40.7%

look...I love craft beer but I'm sick of every microbrewery trying to do a pale ale, an IPA, a stout, and a Hefeweizen. Some branch out to triples or quads but they all run together. I still love my craft beer but on most nights, I just want a few freaking beers that I don't have to think about or pay a lot for. Hamms is probably the best of the bunch. I pay $12 for a 30 pack. Bud or Miller Lite would be twice that. I love livin' the high life but its $8 for a 12 pack of bottles in my area so Hamms is a great alternative. Good tasting, old fashioned beer, cheap, and refreshing. Besides that the can has a definite old-school ambiance.

Drink some and enjoy.

3.08/5  rDev +10%

I have this in my beer fridge on a regular basis. It's my work in the yard and lawn mower beer. When you don't want a craft beer and it's not the place or time for one. It's an easy drinking adjunct American Lager retro beer. When you drink it you have visions of a simpler time in America. It's fun to take a 30 pack to family who can't get it and view their amazement it's still around. If you haven't tried it give it a try. Remember it's not a craft but an a American Original. Think Hamms Bear.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

16 oz. tallboy poured into a Fitger's mug. Pale light straw with a frothy white head. Surprisingly long-lasting with thick splotches of lacing as it slowly falls.

Aroma is very sweet. Caramel, honey, and a healthy dose of adjunct sweetness. Hay. Floral and grassy hops.

Flavor is thin, but not unpleasant. A bit of corny sweetness, a dash of honey, and a touch of grassy hops.

Mouthfeel is light-bodied with a healthy bit of carbonation. Clean and refreshing.

Overall, this is a pretty standard adjunct lager. It's boring but inoffensive. I got it out of a $1 grab bag at a local liquor store, but otherwise wouldn't buy another one.

1.97/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

twelve cans for $5.99 is bang for your buck. At that price, what can you expect..
Nonetheless this brew was not as bad as the price tag made it seem- though it did have the same pathetic pale, yellow hue as other low end beers and a scent almost identical. The taste and mouthfeel earned it an extra star. The taste jumps at you when you're not expecting- something more impressionable than the average bottom shelf.
I'd recommend this to a buddy tight on cash.

3.44/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Love the box/can art/slogan this beer bears, so had to give it a try. I mean, come on, hate the beer all you want but "born in the land of sky blue waters" is one of the dreamiest, coolest slogans ever.

At any rate, this is a solid offering. It's much less harsh and bitter than Miller Lite or Bud Light, and also doesn't bear that pungent, chemical taste of the major beers. The taste is pretty simple, but works in the regard that it isn't overpowering nor sour or unflattering. The appearance and smell is pretty interchangeable, but again, it works and is satisfying enough.

This is the new session beer in my household; judge all you want.

2.7/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This is the beer I get more often than I'd care to admit to myself or others, but I still buy it,drink it & "like" it...and on just the right sorta day,i even almost need it....kinda like watchin' the news on t.v. if you are a news junky who really just wants to set by the river and fish or do some camping instead of being stuck inside with a talking head on a screen in front of you...
but anyway,w/that all said...

This is the beer I drink when I feel guilty about how much $ I've been spending on other beer.
This is the beer I drink when I'm broke (or feel that I'm about to be broke).
This is the beer I drink when I want a cheap lager.
This is the beer I could imagine charles Bukowski, jim morrison,the bum in my alley & me and my dog all setting around drinking....& not caring what it's like to be a drunk or a beer snob or an intellectual or a geek or god or devil in any shape or form.
This is the beer that really says,"America...party-time"...especially in certain states...
This is the beer i'd like to not drink with white castle sliders & for obvious reasons.
This is the beer you drink if u have a "can-do attitude" when it's raining,the yard needs mowed,your teeth hurt,you don't remember the last time you had a "good" dream and when the chicago cubs have won the world series in an alternate (but still transparent to us) universe.
This is the beer that sets at the back of your fridge for all the time that you DO have money...or just because your wife & every house guest says,"I'll just have tea" when you try & talk them into having one.
This is the beer that is both good AND bad...so MODERATE consumption is required...

2.96/5  rDev +5.7%

A Surprise found in Nevada.

Crystal clear yellow colored beer with a surprisingly tall and long last puffy white head. It has decent enough looks.

Smell is yeast and herbal and lemony hop. Certainly has a corn scent to it but not that big of one. Malt is mostly baked biscuit.

Starts out mildly sweet and yeasty with a soda cracker malt finish. Herbal with a slight lemon flavor. Bitterness is at about the door to medium from light. You can taste corn if you are looking for it but it hardly intrudes. Clean finish with no lingering bitterness or sweetness.

Mouthfeel is present.

Overall Solid especially for the whole $1 I paid for the 24 OZ Can. Not a thing wrong with it just not really craft beer but a solid Adjunct Lager from a can.

1.91/5  rDev -31.8%

12 fl oz. can, with date on the bottom of the can readin May 12, 2014 - not sure if that's a best by date or a canned on date. Either way, I'm not expecting much. Another American adjunct lager, gifted to me from a friend mfndsvp. Acquired at the local beer store for $1.99 for the six pack.

Poured into a Winnie The Pooh pint glass.

A - Pours the typical clear golden straw color. Looks like yellow water. Just over a finger of fizzy white head that disappears entirely within a minute. I'm usually generous on the appearance of a beer, but this stuff doesn't look so great.

S - The smell is comprised of the usual suspects - cheap GMO corn / grain, dust, and wet cardboard. Slightly skunky, I guess I would say. It's pretty foul smelling.

T - The taste follows the nose - cheap GMO grain / corn / husk, and sparkling water.

M - Feel is crisp, grainy, and papery. Lingering wet cardboard aftertaste.

Overall, another tick from the bottom of the barrel with plenty more to go. The only selling point for this beer is the cheap price tag.

Hamm's ---2/5.

3.85/5  rDev +37.5%

I like this beer a lot, It's real, It's not expensive, It taste like a beer should taste. I've tried a great deal of different types of "beer" Some go way overboard and add funky flavors or way too much hops, But getting back to basics this to me is an almost perfect beer! Now some of you like the girly flavored beers, and that's ok , but that's not real beer, this is. Also just so you know I do like other beers such as Stella, Guinness Stout, Boulevard , (but not the IPA), dos equis, and many others, I'm not a beer snob, but when I like a beer that is good regardless of price I'll be as honest as I can going with my taste preferences.

2.94/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a Shaker pint glass.

APPEARANCE: pours a clear light yellow with less than one finger head that dissipated completely in seconds, medium carbonation, not a trace of lacing on the glass.

SMELL: not assertive, corn, grass, sweet malt.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, sweet malt, corn, grass, almost no hop profile is present.

PALATE: very light with medium carbonation, finishes dry.

OVERALL: this is a classic lawnmower beer, the adjunct lager is inexpensive but satisfies on a basic level. Hamm's is better than most beers of this style so if you are on a budget this is a good choice.

3.46/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear pale yellow with a one and a half finger fluffy white head. more than enough for less expensive beer.

Aroma has a strong corn note. A very light touch of grass. sweet corn is predominant.

The flavor has hint of corn and somewhat sweet. Thankfully, bitterness is not really present. What low testosterone aficionado thinks beer "should be" bitter?

Overall, a previous reviewer said it best, Hamm's is "nothing more than a thirst quenching lawnmower beer"...as all beer should be. Although a bit watery, finishes clean for an inexpensive beer. Where's my mower?!

Appearance: 1" sudsy white head recedes quickly. Clear straw appearance, moderate carbonation present.
Aroma: some grain husks, corn sweetness, a bit of malt.
Mouthfeel: light and watery. Finish is dry.
Flavor: not a lot going on here. Mostly corn sweetness with a slight malt flavor. Maybe a tiny hint of hops in the finish. Nearly a drain pour for me.

3.02/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

16oz can into a nonic.

Pours a clear pale yellow with a one and a half finger fluffy white head. Unfortunately the head fades away pretty quickly not leaving a whole lot in the way of lacing. It looks good for a minute, though.

Aroma is on the sweet side with a strong corn note. A very light touch of grass but sweet corn is dominant.

The flavor backs off on the corn a bit but sweetness is still present. A little more grass and faint graininess and more cooked vegetables. Bitterness is nearly nonexistent but it is there. The finish has a bit of sticky sweetness but finishes fairly clean.

Overall, this is nothing more than a thirst quenching lawnmower beer but it does an excellent job of being just that. A little rough around the edges but for the price, it is hard to beat.

3.18/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

as to what amounts to 'bout fifty-eight pennies a 12 FL. OZ. 355 ml, and hey besides, i'm unemployed (since jan 2K14) and this is a tasty full american beer, thank goodness, that pours fine into a glass (of any shape, of any size) or, as i am enjoying it now, directly from metal can to hungry beer lipped taste receptors.
me likes hamms and will always 'cause the stuff just tastes good, gall'darnit.

4.54/5  rDev +62.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Contrary to the righteousness held by so many beer snobs, there is no perfect beer out there. And really, what IS with many a beer so bitter that a glass of vinegar is like a soft drink by comparison, but I digress... For my money a beer should be refreshing and cold.
Straight up, Hamm's more than delivers on that... As ever, a clean tasting, non bitter, refreshing beer either by itself or with food. I challenge any beer "expert"/aficionado to put any of their gilt edge - trendoid beers up against Hamm's (or a few other "low rent" - pedestrian) beers in a blind sampling and they'll get a dose of reality. Some of these "lesser" beers, Hamm's most certainly being one, more than deliver the goods and do not drain your wallet.

Thanx "Hamm's"

4.3/5  rDev +53.6%

At $10.99/30 pack, it's definitely best beer for your money. I live around a lot of beer snobs who only drink micros but I honestly think this tastes better. Real smooth taste either ice cold or warm. Not too much of a head. Not too bitter. Not too sweet. Perfect beer. Smell that brings back memories of old of my old man n his friends playing horseshoes. Perfect beer for those people who wanna drink a beer while hanging out in garage with neighbors or playing horseshoes with neighbors. Isn't that what drinking beer is supposed to be about? Top grade homeowners beer. Can drink a quality beer and still afford your mortgage.

2.77/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a can.

Typical domestic beer.

Looks pale and yellow.

Smells and tastes like most domenstic... light on the nose with grains. Not as much bitter taste compared to other domestics, but it is still just a camping beer.

Would I buy it again? Mostly just for camping...

2.82/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

16 oz can was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: This beer poured a one finger head that reduced to a thin layer. It us a golden straw yellow color with great clarity and bubbles seen coming up through the glass. Spotty lacing on the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: Cereal grains, bready malts, some sweetness, lager yeast, and mild grassy hops.

Taste: Sweet and bready grains, lager yeast, grassy hops, and mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Typical lager aftertaste, crisp, refreshing, light bodied, and medium carbonation.

Overall: Pretty standard average adjunct lager. Seen it a bunch of times, so I gave it a whirl.

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.