Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Hamm's | Hamm's Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Reviews: 251 | Ratings: 722
2.19/5  rDev -21.8%

“From the land of sky blue waters…” Apparently that’s Milwaukie these days.

16oz tallboy can from a 6-pk purchased at a local discount grocery store for $4.79. Easily the cheapest 6-pk I’ve bought for a long time, probably a couple of years.

Poured into a Jever pilsener glass, this was a chill-hazed gold color, with a big, sudsy, noisy, bone-white head that dropped fast and left remarkably small amounts of lace on the sides of the glass. Said head could be agitated back to life with minimal effort, but it dropped back down to a foamy skiff, pronto. Lots of tiny bubbles could be seen hurtling skyward.

Although it was done for absurdity more than anything else, the pour into a pilsener glass was not completely out of place. Although the primary scent was of crude graininess, there was a little bit of dry, grassy European hoppiness that wasn’t to be denied. It’s a minor note, however, and the nose remained dominated by the crude, overly sweet malt aroma.

Inoffensively bland, that’s the taste in a nutshell. Not as vegetable oil-tasting as some in the style, but I suspect that’s because I’m drinking it ice cold rather than any superiority over its style mates. Sweet malts dominate the taste, with barely a trace of the hops scented earlier. Slightly crisp finish, with a mild, sickly sweet grainy aftertaste.

Watery, yet not light. I suppose it’s pretty standard for the style, but it’s not what I would call good. It’s more like a pilsener with a little too much body.

About par for the course. This isn’t the worst American adjunct lager I’ve had, but there’s not much to stand out here. All in all, I’d rather have an Oly if drinking this style.

2.63/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Brief impressions below from a can:

A: Pours 8 fingers of foam. Beige colour. Good frothiness.

Body colour is a translucent clean transparent yellow. No yeast or hop sediment is visible.

Sm: Pilsner malts, a metallic off-note, clean barley, grains.

T: Clean barley. Syrupy malt extract. Generic grassy hop character. Crystal malts. Meh.

Mf: Smooth, wet, crisp, direly overcarbonated, slightly syrupy, moderately thick.

Overall: This is in the - err - "student" category. A budget brew with one intended effect, it's best avoided by the discerning drinker. Not undrinkable, though.

C-

***
Impressions from a second 473ml can below. Best before: April 6th, 2015.

HEAD: 3 fingers wide. White colour. Generic. Average frothiness. Leaves spotty webby lacing as it recedes. Retention is good - about 5 minutes.

BODY: Clear weak yellow. Appears watery. Clean, with no visible yeast particulate or hop sediment.

Appears overcarbonated. Pretty typical of the style, this appearance is what most people think of when they imagine beer.

AROMA: Grainy, with corn adjunct and flaked barley. Has off-putting overly sweet malt extract notes. The water seems clean. Hopping is cheap, with a generic floral character at best.

Aromatic intensity is below average. It's shallow but not unpleasant, and has me timid to try it.

TASTE: Corn adjunct is evident, but it's not cloyingly sweet - bad as the malt syrup/extract character is. The body isn't weak, and consists of flaked barley and pilsner malt. Hop content is minimal, with only a generic floral character to offer.

It's a bit imbalanced; I find it too sweet. It's simple - per style conventions - and lacks any depth of flavour whatsoever.

TEXTURE: Smooth, wet, crisp, clean, overcarbonated, and light-bodied. Fails to elevate the beer, but it complements the taste decently.

OVERALL: More a student beer than one that will impress the discerning drinker, Hamm's is standard fare for the style but I wouldn't want it again; Trader Joe's has beers of higher quality in this style at a more reasonable price. Its best attribute is its high drinkability. To its credit, you could do far worse. Merely below average.

C-

2.53/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Cheap swill. I've had worse, but I've had many better even at the same cheap-as-dirt price point.

In the hierarchy of lowbrow beers, I'll peg it as superior to Jacob Best (the most putrid swill ever brewed), Pabst, Milwaukee's Best, Piel's, Red Dog, and Stoney's, but worse than Busch, Old Milwaukee, Goebel, and Genesee.

Overall it is an average player in the lowest category. Drinkable on a budget, but not enjoyable. I remember it as being pale yellow, fizzy, and bland...of course back when I drank swill like this I wasn't going for taste.

3.25/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

16 oz can best before 12/08/14. Poured into a mug.

A: Pours a golden color, perhaps a shade darker than you bud, miller, what have you. Lots of tiny carbonation bubbles, the head was a soapy two fingers that hangs around and leaves some nice patchy lace.

S: Pretty clean all things considered. Sweet grains, fresh cut hay, a whiff of soapy hops, corn adjunct is noticeable but not really offensive. Reinds me of a high life kinda without the over pronounced, odd cooked vegetable aroma. Smells like stereotypical beer smell.

T: Sweet grains/corn, just a smattering of soapy grassy hop bitterness, maybe a bit of lemon grass, pretty clean, inoffensive, finishes dry. Drink it cold and fast, as it warms it becomes a bit rough around the edges with the corn adjunct becoming more apparent.

M: Medium body and highly carbonated, average for the style with maybe just a bit more heft.
O: Not bad, makes for a good lawn mower beer. Holds its own for sure against more highly priced offerings in the style. I wish it was available in 12 or 30 packs in my area but I guess I'll settle for the occasional tall boy six pack.

2.62/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Being from Minnesota means you have to like Hamm's beer. Not liking would be like picking a Lady Slipper or dissing Bud Grant. We frown on things like that.

3.25/5  rDev +16.1%

This is really the perfect beer for drinking in a smoky room with sticky floors, late at night, after you may have over-imbibed. The sweet corn is understated considering the style and it still has a discernible hop flavor and bitterness to accompany.

2.69/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Had this at a party and it was much better than I expected.

The flavor profile for this offering is not as corny as most other AALs.

It's a cheap alternative to other AALs and as a bonus it's union made.

1.71/5  rDev -38.9%

Not to big of a fan of Hamms. My parents sell it for $1 a can at there bar. I've had a few, but really just don’t like it. I generally only order this when a group of us are sharing rounds on the cheap.

1.25/5  rDev -55.4%

An elderly friend of mine gave me one of these in a gesture of kindness. I took one sip and poured the rest down his kitchen sink when he wasn't looking. Maybe it was skunky, but damn I couldn't stomach it.

appearance has a yellow and gold look with moderate amount of carbonation. Hams smells like your typical american adjunct lager grainy and cook vegetables. Taste is grainy and smooth. It is very easy drinking beer . Mouthfeel is light but not watery . Overall hams I the top tasting cheap american lagers on market and cam compete with other lagers wich are priced higher .

3.19/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I believe this is the best cheap beer out there, at $12.19 a thirty it's an unbelievable value for me, way above Stag, PBR, or Milwaukee's best (witch I tend to consume in high volume). It's no craft beer by any means, but for a classic American beer this is a home run for me.

3.49/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampling right now on 8/7/14, but had this once before back in 2012. Last time was in a 12 ounce can, this is a 16 ouncer. Bought a 6-16 ouncer for $4.98 yesterday at the local 'No Frills' grocery store. can(s) chilled down to 36 degrees in my beer cooler and poured into a vintage 'Hamm's' pilsner hour-glass from the late 1960's.

Pours a pale straw-yellow in color with a thin white head that settles down to just along the sides of the glass. Lots of small streaming bubbles are seen rising from the bottom of the glass. Good carbonation. Some very light spotty lacing is seen when sipped. The aroma is of sweet grass/grains with a hint of floral and hay even. The taste is pretty close to the aroma with some corn sweetness in the mix as well. A little light-bodied but decent. Goes down easy and is really cent for the price as you can buy a 30-pack for $14.98 or a 6 of 'Tall Boys' for just $4.98. Overall not a bad brew.

3.94/5  rDev +40.7%

look...I love craft beer but I'm sick of every microbrewery trying to do a pale ale, an IPA, a stout, and a Hefeweizen. Some branch out to triples or quads but they all run together. I still love my craft beer but on most nights, I just want a few freaking beers that I don't have to think about or pay a lot for. Hamms is probably the best of the bunch. I pay $12 for a 30 pack. Bud or Miller Lite would be twice that. I love livin' the high life but its $8 for a 12 pack of bottles in my area so Hamms is a great alternative. Good tasting, old fashioned beer, cheap, and refreshing. Besides that the can has a definite old-school ambiance.

Drink some and enjoy.

3.08/5  rDev +10%

I have this in my beer fridge on a regular basis. It's my work in the yard and lawn mower beer. When you don't want a craft beer and it's not the place or time for one. It's an easy drinking adjunct American Lager retro beer. When you drink it you have visions of a simpler time in America. It's fun to take a 30 pack to family who can't get it and view their amazement it's still around. If you haven't tried it give it a try. Remember it's not a craft but an a American Original. Think Hamms Bear.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

16 oz. tallboy poured into a Fitger's mug. Pale light straw with a frothy white head. Surprisingly long-lasting with thick splotches of lacing as it slowly falls.

Aroma is very sweet. Caramel, honey, and a healthy dose of adjunct sweetness. Hay. Floral and grassy hops.

Flavor is thin, but not unpleasant. A bit of corny sweetness, a dash of honey, and a touch of grassy hops.

Mouthfeel is light-bodied with a healthy bit of carbonation. Clean and refreshing.

Overall, this is a pretty standard adjunct lager. It's boring but inoffensive. I got it out of a $1 grab bag at a local liquor store, but otherwise wouldn't buy another one.

1.97/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

twelve cans for $5.99 is bang for your buck. At that price, what can you expect..
Nonetheless this brew was not as bad as the price tag made it seem- though it did have the same pathetic pale, yellow hue as other low end beers and a scent almost identical. The taste and mouthfeel earned it an extra star. The taste jumps at you when you're not expecting- something more impressionable than the average bottom shelf.
I'd recommend this to a buddy tight on cash.

3.44/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Love the box/can art/slogan this beer bears, so had to give it a try. I mean, come on, hate the beer all you want but "born in the land of sky blue waters" is one of the dreamiest, coolest slogans ever.

At any rate, this is a solid offering. It's much less harsh and bitter than Miller Lite or Bud Light, and also doesn't bear that pungent, chemical taste of the major beers. The taste is pretty simple, but works in the regard that it isn't overpowering nor sour or unflattering. The appearance and smell is pretty interchangeable, but again, it works and is satisfying enough.

This is the new session beer in my household; judge all you want.

2.7/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This is the beer I get more often than I'd care to admit to myself or others, but I still buy it,drink it & "like" it...and on just the right sorta day,i even almost need it....kinda like watchin' the news on t.v. if you are a news junky who really just wants to set by the river and fish or do some camping instead of being stuck inside with a talking head on a screen in front of you...
but anyway,w/that all said...

This is the beer I drink when I feel guilty about how much $ I've been spending on other beer.
This is the beer I drink when I'm broke (or feel that I'm about to be broke).
This is the beer I drink when I want a cheap lager.
This is the beer I could imagine charles Bukowski, jim morrison,the bum in my alley & me and my dog all setting around drinking....& not caring what it's like to be a drunk or a beer snob or an intellectual or a geek or god or devil in any shape or form.
This is the beer that really says,"America...party-time"...especially in certain states...
This is the beer i'd like to not drink with white castle sliders & for obvious reasons.
This is the beer you drink if u have a "can-do attitude" when it's raining,the yard needs mowed,your teeth hurt,you don't remember the last time you had a "good" dream and when the chicago cubs have won the world series in an alternate (but still transparent to us) universe.
This is the beer that sets at the back of your fridge for all the time that you DO have money...or just because your wife & every house guest says,"I'll just have tea" when you try & talk them into having one.
This is the beer that is both good AND bad...so MODERATE consumption is required...

2.96/5  rDev +5.7%

A Surprise found in Nevada.

Crystal clear yellow colored beer with a surprisingly tall and long last puffy white head. It has decent enough looks.

Smell is yeast and herbal and lemony hop. Certainly has a corn scent to it but not that big of one. Malt is mostly baked biscuit.

Starts out mildly sweet and yeasty with a soda cracker malt finish. Herbal with a slight lemon flavor. Bitterness is at about the door to medium from light. You can taste corn if you are looking for it but it hardly intrudes. Clean finish with no lingering bitterness or sweetness.

Mouthfeel is present.

Overall Solid especially for the whole $1 I paid for the 24 OZ Can. Not a thing wrong with it just not really craft beer but a solid Adjunct Lager from a can.

1.91/5  rDev -31.8%

12 fl oz. can, with date on the bottom of the can readin May 12, 2014 - not sure if that's a best by date or a canned on date. Either way, I'm not expecting much. Another American adjunct lager, gifted to me from a friend mfndsvp. Acquired at the local beer store for $1.99 for the six pack.

Poured into a Winnie The Pooh pint glass.

A - Pours the typical clear golden straw color. Looks like yellow water. Just over a finger of fizzy white head that disappears entirely within a minute. I'm usually generous on the appearance of a beer, but this stuff doesn't look so great.

S - The smell is comprised of the usual suspects - cheap GMO corn / grain, dust, and wet cardboard. Slightly skunky, I guess I would say. It's pretty foul smelling.

T - The taste follows the nose - cheap GMO grain / corn / husk, and sparkling water.

M - Feel is crisp, grainy, and papery. Lingering wet cardboard aftertaste.

Overall, another tick from the bottom of the barrel with plenty more to go. The only selling point for this beer is the cheap price tag.

Hamm's ---2/5.

3.85/5  rDev +37.5%

I like this beer a lot, It's real, It's not expensive, It taste like a beer should taste. I've tried a great deal of different types of "beer" Some go way overboard and add funky flavors or way too much hops, But getting back to basics this to me is an almost perfect beer! Now some of you like the girly flavored beers, and that's ok , but that's not real beer, this is. Also just so you know I do like other beers such as Stella, Guinness Stout, Boulevard , (but not the IPA), dos equis, and many others, I'm not a beer snob, but when I like a beer that is good regardless of price I'll be as honest as I can going with my taste preferences.

2.94/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a Shaker pint glass.

APPEARANCE: pours a clear light yellow with less than one finger head that dissipated completely in seconds, medium carbonation, not a trace of lacing on the glass.

SMELL: not assertive, corn, grass, sweet malt.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, sweet malt, corn, grass, almost no hop profile is present.

PALATE: very light with medium carbonation, finishes dry.

OVERALL: this is a classic lawnmower beer, the adjunct lager is inexpensive but satisfies on a basic level. Hamm's is better than most beers of this style so if you are on a budget this is a good choice.

3.46/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear pale yellow with a one and a half finger fluffy white head. more than enough for less expensive beer.

Aroma has a strong corn note. A very light touch of grass. sweet corn is predominant.

The flavor has hint of corn and somewhat sweet. Thankfully, bitterness is not really present. What low testosterone aficionado thinks beer "should be" bitter?

Overall, a previous reviewer said it best, Hamm's is "nothing more than a thirst quenching lawnmower beer"...as all beer should be. Although a bit watery, finishes clean for an inexpensive beer. Where's my mower?!

Appearance: 1" sudsy white head recedes quickly. Clear straw appearance, moderate carbonation present.
Aroma: some grain husks, corn sweetness, a bit of malt.
Mouthfeel: light and watery. Finish is dry.
Flavor: not a lot going on here. Mostly corn sweetness with a slight malt flavor. Maybe a tiny hint of hops in the finish. Nearly a drain pour for me.

3.02/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

16oz can into a nonic.

Pours a clear pale yellow with a one and a half finger fluffy white head. Unfortunately the head fades away pretty quickly not leaving a whole lot in the way of lacing. It looks good for a minute, though.

Aroma is on the sweet side with a strong corn note. A very light touch of grass but sweet corn is dominant.

The flavor backs off on the corn a bit but sweetness is still present. A little more grass and faint graininess and more cooked vegetables. Bitterness is nearly nonexistent but it is there. The finish has a bit of sticky sweetness but finishes fairly clean.

Overall, this is nothing more than a thirst quenching lawnmower beer but it does an excellent job of being just that. A little rough around the edges but for the price, it is hard to beat.

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.