Hamm's - Hamm's Brewing Co.

Hamm'sHamm's

poor

Hamm's Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hamm's Alström Bros
biggred1

Indiana

3.33/5  rDev +24.3%

Perfectly clear pale golden body with a fluffy white head that melts quickly into a skim of foam. The nose is pure corny grits with no discernable hops present at all. The taste is better than the smell, still a lot of corniness but more dry than most adjunct lagers with a faint suggestion of hop bitterness in the mostly squeaky clean finish. Light bodied and easy drinking. I was looking for a new cheap lawnmower beer to replace the old discontinued schlitz cans, I think I found it.

06-10-2009 22:46:00 | More by biggred1
hockeyhead

Colorado

3.6/5  rDev +34.3%

bought a twelve pack for 6.49 a great buy
A: Looks like your average macro lager perhaps a bit more golden like a pilsner
S: little bit chemical and metallic but you can also smell the corn mainly but also a little hint of barley
T: strong corn taste up front with a drying bitterness you don't expect from macro lagers pretty good, but at the end you get a nice hint of the barley like you would find in euro pale lager
M: fizzy light body what you would expect from lager like this
D: compared to the other macros i would say this kicks there ass the taste is just really there reminds me of the beer my dad used to drink

05-31-2009 22:45:47 | More by hockeyhead
hodgsongreg

2.98/5  rDev +11.2%

$6.49 for a 12-pack of cans? I can't go wrong!
Straw yellow. So, when I was no more than 5, I played house with my sisters. I played dad. My father drank beer, so I got a beer out of the fridge and drank up...I remember sitting in my melodic rocking chair throwing back what was likely a Hauenstien in a brown bottle. I tell you this because I still remember the smell...this shares that smell and in an odd way, brings me back to my childhood. How about that?

It tastes as a lager usually tastes. A little sweet, a touch of sulfur from the corn grain...on the back end it leaves an odd plum wine aftertaste. Hamm's is bubbly and light.

If it were $3 more, it wouldn't be as drinkable as it is at about 50 cents a can. Funny how economics can make some beers more drinkable.

05-05-2009 00:10:39 | More by hodgsongreg
ThePeskyDingo

2.5/5  rDev -6.7%

Got a 1 finger fizzy white head outta my pour that went down quickly. Color is a clear straw.

Has a skunky grain aroma to the smell.

Taste is of grains and malts. Nothing special.

Really crisp, clean drink, light body with lots of carbonation.

Easy enough to drink. Sessionable.

A 'drink to get drunk' kind of beer.

Not much else to say about this beer.

04-21-2009 06:03:04 | More by ThePeskyDingo
PDXHops

South Carolina

3.25/5  rDev +21.3%

A vigorous pour into a shaker pint glass yields 2 fingers of bright white head that mostly disappears within a minute, leaving a skim of white. No lacing. Body is very pale straw colored.

Smells very lightly of grains, corn and the barest hint of hops.

Taste is pretty good for the style. There's some lemony bitterness right away, light grains, a bit of corn sweetness, and a touch of hops on the swallow.

Body is pretty light, carbonation is pretty fizzy- standard macro mouthfeel. There is a hint of pleasant creaminess and a pretty crisp finish.

Overall impression: About as good a macro lager as you're gonna get. Helluva lawnmower beer.

03-29-2009 22:16:50 | More by PDXHops
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

2.28/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a 1 finger thin off white head that fizzles down very fast. No retention or lace. Color is the basic clear straw yellow.

Aroma is skunky and grainy. Nothing too pleasing. Taste is very similar; very skunky. Some low end malts as well.

Mouthfeel is super crisp and overcarbonated. Ends with a slightly sticky aftertaste.

Overall, this is just another macro lager that is cheap and nothing exciting. I don't plan on drinking this again unless it is free.

03-22-2009 23:26:54 | More by mothman
Dubbercody

Washington

I've discovered that a rat bastard friend of mine left a Hamm's 24 oz can in my beer fridge (along with a Steel Reserve that I can't even begin to understand.) So Rate the Hamm's I will. I don't know if I'll make it to the Steel, but the Hamm's could be passable....maybe.

Light color, flavor, taste, smell, presence...pretty much everything. But it goes down easily and I think the half I consumed from the can as opposed to the glass actually tasted better. Perhaps it was that it was the second half as well....

03-11-2009 02:38:59 | More by Dubbercody
Vito

Hamm's Beer -- $5.99 for a twelve-pack at my local beverage emporium, so I couldn't pass it up.

Appearance: Vintage can with the blue, white and gold design, and red Hamm's logo. Beautiful. I drank it out of the can, so I didn't examine the color, head, and lacing. Like it really matters, anyway.

Smell: Smells good. Pure clean beer aroma, no problems at all.

Taste: Damn good. It's crisp and light, with an extremely light touch of hops. Incredibly unique and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Heavily carbonated and fizzy. It gives a tongue-tingling sensation equal to Miller High Life.

Drinkability: Hamm's tastes good enough to savor in small amounts, or to guzzle as a session beer. Either way, you won't be disappointed.

Overall: Highly recommended.

02-07-2009 03:56:45 | More by Vito
mdwalsh

Iowa

3.6/5  rDev +34.3%

A: three finger head, wheat golden, very bubbly. decent head retention, not fantastic. little to no lacing

S: Weak smell. Pretty basic. Slightly bready or maybe biscutty

T: Very little taste I suppose, thought last night was at a tasting and the palate probably isn't really recovered. Leaves a bitter aftertaste on the front of the mouth, but not a hops bitterness

M: Thin, carbonated. Comparable to tonic water.

D: Easy, not much to stop you in terms of taste, just carbonation if that bothers you.

Poured from 12 oz. can into a stein.

02-05-2009 22:39:44 | More by mdwalsh
lhaqq

3.88/5  rDev +44.8%

A: Light straw gold body with not much head.
S: Smells of grains and corn. Not foul smelling like a lot of other adjunct lagers.
T: Pretty watery, but not bad for the style. A hint of hoppy bitterness, but other than that not too much. Maybe even a little buttery.
M: Fine; a bit high on carbonation for my liking.
D: Again, for the style, not bad--easy to have a few. Also would probably be a good beer to have with a variety of foods.

01-04-2009 01:45:43 | More by lhaqq
KarlHungus

3.1/5  rDev +15.7%

This beer pours a clear light golden color. The head is an inch in height, and recedes quickly into sparse lacing. The aroma is a faint bready graininess. The taste is like the aroma. It is simple, but a little stronger than most Adjunct Lagers. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a smooth velvety feel most beers of its style don't have. Overall, this is a pretty good Adjunct Lager. I could drink this beer again.

12-08-2008 01:00:02 | More by KarlHungus
kickapoodude

Alaska

2.6/5  rDev -3%

This beer is one of those beers that swill, but it's cool to drink it. It is a watery lager with unsetteling sweetness, but like Natty, the Beast and PBR, it is always cheap, and alway chic. This is swill. But I love it. Good with bluegill and making brats.

12-03-2008 22:32:29 | More by kickapoodude
tempest

2.38/5  rDev -11.2%

Ordered a can at the Bryant Lake Bowl in Minnapolis. I just had to try it. And now I have. OK, this is basically PBR extra. Same watery sweetness with a cheap lager tang and a slightly bigger touch of spicy hops. Yeah, it worth trying for the sake of trying Hamm's, but it's not a terribly pleasant beer. Not patently offensive, but the taste is most easily described as cheap, watery, American beer.

11-24-2008 05:25:30 | More by tempest
Greggy

3.7/5  rDev +38.1%

A- Pours a 1.5 finger bright white head. In a matter of about a minute, it dissipates into an ultra thin cap. The body is piss yellow and crystal clear.

S- Some malty sweetness is present with notes of apple and lime/citrus notes. There is a minute graininess and a touch of adjunt in the nose as well.

T- Starts off very clean with notes of light melon, and a thin graininess. The finish is a touch drier than the start and retains some of the malt (melon) notes.

M- Medium Carbonation works well. Ultra clean on the palatte

D- This ranks in at 5 and change % by volume so it's very drinkable. I usually pick PBR over this but for 11.99/case, you can't go wrong. Best enjoyed from the can, although the review was from a glass.

11-13-2008 05:23:16 | More by Greggy
seanthornton152

Oregon

1.4/5  rDev -47.8%

Yellow corn colored beer with a shiny light foamy white head. Head subsides very quickly into the lightly carbonated beer.

Light scent hints of sweet corn and barley. In the distance a scent of hop.

First taste is of a sweet granola cereal then the taste dies quickly into a watered down taste of malt with a very light hint a hop. As continue to drink the initial flavors start to die off and I think I'm consuming dirty water

I was excited when I bought this beer, I felt cool; like a born again college frat kid, then I remembered why I never wanted to be in a Frat and I hated almost everyone in college.

11-12-2008 20:34:57 | More by seanthornton152
Rayek

Colorado

3.03/5  rDev +13.1%

Picked up at a company function.

A: Straw colored with great clarity and mild carbonation from tiny bubbles. Big foamy white head stuck around longer than I thought it would. Left no lace.

S: Promising. A nice aroma of pepper is accompanied by a bit of raw grain.

T: The aroma doesn't translate to the taste. Pretty standard macro fare, but better to me than the BMC mainstays. Mild Malts hit first with flavors of dry barley, wheat and rice, but not necessarily in that order. Bitterness provides balance, but no discernible flavor other than a little metal. Finishes extremely clean.

M: Light body is fizzy, but not overly so.

D: A good yard work and family barbecue beer. In the bargain beer department, this slots in alongside PBR for me. Since a 12-pack of Hamm's goes for less than PBR, this is my new go-to cheap beer.

11-10-2008 17:04:53 | More by Rayek
Spikester

Oregon

3.75/5  rDev +39.9%

Pours clear gold with a big white head and some minor lacings.

Aroma is corny with some floral hops.

Taste is American macro all the way but more flavor than most. Some detectable hops.

Mouthfeel is average for the style.

Drinkability is better than average. One of my favorite US macros.

11-03-2008 09:05:53 | More by Spikester
electricfields

Idaho

3.23/5  rDev +20.5%

A: Well, okay. I have to admit, I'm drinking this out of a can. Seriously, who pours Hamm's into a glass? Not me! Up the punx! ;) But it's your typical American lager. That's what it looks like. Nothing special.

S: This beer has a kind of sweet smell to it. Pleasant, for sure. Not exceptional, but makes it that much more exciting to drink!

T: One of the better cheap-ass domestic beers out there, I think. A little bit of bitter citrus and a sweet, bready finish. I could throw these back all night if I wanted to.

M: Feels "cheap." Really "fluffy."

D: Once again, I could drink Hamm's all night. It's not the best beer in the world, but for what it is - a cheap American lager - it's definitely pretty good. It doesn't taste as much like hair as Pabst. It's not as watery as Olympia. It's just a decent, drinkable beer.

10-12-2008 03:52:56 | More by electricfields
Magpie14

2.73/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance: thin, pale, and golden. Soapy, bubbly head disappeared quickly

Smell: husky grains (corn, barley and what not). Meager hop presence

Taste: crisp malt and grains, slender taste overall. I seem to get a light metallic flavor to this beer. Hops are thin and somewhat astringent towards the finish

Mouthfeel: light body and bland overall. Sits in the mouth alright...especially when ice cold. I could see this in my fridge from time to time. It is a sub-par macro-lager that is cheap and will do the job! Hard to come by this beer and when I saw it for 3.99 for a sixer of 16oz cans I just had to have it

10-05-2008 03:45:31 | More by Magpie14
tbeck

Washington

2.68/5  rDev 0%

Appearance - Poured a light golden color with a white foamy head. Slight laciness.

Taste - Hint of barley but definetly cereal grains. Minor after taste of grains.

Smell - Nothing but a hint of grains.

Mouthfeel - Like water, no texture

Drinkability - Good, very light.

Not a bad beer for the price. Excellent for sitting around a camp fire or on a hot day to enjoy a couple.

07-03-2008 19:27:55 | More by tbeck
kguyty

Missouri

3.28/5  rDev +22.4%

Okay, I am updating my rating from last time... I do not know if I had a skunked batch, or what, but Hamm's is really not too bad for being the cheapest brew (12 pack) at the local liquor store. Decent taste and drinkability have made this one of my new 'Summer Beers'.

07-01-2008 22:44:46 | More by kguyty
IntriqKen

1.58/5  rDev -41%

Pours a very, VERY pale yellow with a soft white head that sticks around for a while. Millions of little bubbles rise to the top of the glass constantly.

Aroma is mostly crisp grain like it is freshly cut. A little sulpher comes to the nose as well.

Taste is a real disappointment to me. Very grainy corn flavors, a little slippery on the tongue and a hop finish that doesn't taste like hops but rather sweet malt gone bad. With all of that said it is one of the weakest tasting brews I've ever had.

I'm sorry, Hamms..this one is just undrinkable for me.

06-21-2008 01:46:28 | More by IntriqKen
supercolter

Wisconsin

2.7/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance is golden straw yellow, a bit more character than most macros. Some head, but no lacing.
Smell is ok, smells like cheap malt and thats about all.
Taste is same as the smell but a bit stale that didn't come through on the nose.
Mouthfeel light medium with some carbonation.
Drinkability is inhibited by the stalenss.

06-16-2008 15:58:46 | More by supercolter
kilustration

3.75/5  rDev +39.9%

9.99 a case, I had to try it. You know what, its not bad - much better than any popular BMC brand. Light yellow color, smelled better than your typical macro, but taste fantastic. I wish this was available in bottles....looks like its going to be a Hamms summer!

05-04-2008 23:05:28 | More by kilustration
botham

2.35/5  rDev -12.3%

12 oz can poured into a pilsener glass. pours a crystal clear light straw color with a half finger of loose white head that fizzles out quickly. no lacings.

aroma is of grain and a possible distant note of floral yeast or hops. the grain is stale in character, and holds no sweetness or richness.

taste is of light malt and grain up front, with a crisp and clean finish, almost sour on the palate. no floral character or hop presence. very thin in profile.

mouthfeel is ultra-light bodied, and the texture resembles sparkling water. the finish is of mild CO2 and a touch of grain.

drinkability is not good. this is a sub-par macro lager. the malt is not malty, but rather grainy, and stale at that. there is no hop presence, which leads to an unbalanced composition. not recommended

05-03-2008 23:01:43 | More by botham
Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.