Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Hamm's - Hamm's Brewing Co.

Hamm'sHamm's

poor

Hamm's Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hamm's Alström Bros
3.19/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Serving: can, from the can
Served: 24 August 2013

Appearance: Had this one at a party directly from the can, so I can't say that I actually saw the beer itself. Not a terrible looking can though. For cheap adjunct lager, however, I must say that PBR takes the crown.

Smell: Smells similar to PBR- light and corny, which some malt discernible through the sweetness. Very uncomplicated and 'beery'.

Taste: Actually not too shabby. This one, though rated much lower than PBR, didn't taste much better or worse than it. For a cheap go-to party beer, this is definitely a step up from the BMC light options, since I could actually taste something of the beer even though it was in an ice bath.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated. Makes the beer supremely drinkable.

Overall: Truly not a terrible option for a cheap, easily drinkable beer for social events where drinking for taste is not the primary goal. This would be a good option for college parties, tailgates, and other social events where you want an unassertive crowd pleaser that is a step up from ice-cold light lagers. (1,073 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +14.2%

Served from a 16 ounce can into a shaker pint. October 2013 freshness date. A moderate pour produces a billowy 3/4 inch head that quickly recedes but leaves some nice patchy lacing in the center with a more substantial ring along the perimeter. The beer is a pale straw color and moderately carbonated.

I don't get much in the nose alone, but mine isn't very sensitive. I get a bit more by sniffing the can, where some light malt and a kiss of hops comes through a bit. The light hops and pale malt produce somewhat of a very light citrus character to go along with a little bit of corn mash to produce a quite refreshing brew, with plenty of pungent burpiness.

Hamm's was once a great name- in it's day the brand was practically synonymous with beer in certain parts of the upper midwest. My earliest memories are of it on draft at a certain 3.2 joint in Minnesota in the 70s. It had a reputation as a shitty beer by then, but it always had its devotees too. I think its a fine beer for the price- 3.99 for a six pack of pounders at my local C-store.

Update, July 31, 2015: I just bought a 30 pack of these bad boys for $17.28- that's 57.6 cents per can. (1,163 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +7.3%

Not a beer suitable for a full analysis, but not a beer that is asking for one anyway. For a cheap session beer, this one is near-unbeatable. Nothing about it is repelling, and the taste (straight wheat) is actually decent, if unremarkable. Just as palatable as any other adjunct lager, and wayyy cheaper. Plus the box's and can's artwork (if you can call it that) is classic. (376 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +41.9%

Never even heard about hamm's til I went to a really cheap bar by my house with one of my friends...he told me I had to get it

The bar was sooo cheap that u could get a pint of hamm's for $.99, a 36 oz mug for $2.75, or a pitcher for $4.00, I can't pass that up.

A - It looks a little darker to me than most American Lagers, extra points for that, typical white head that disappears quick

S - It smells like a regular American Lager, not that strong, but there. somewhat sweet, but nothing really popping out.

T - It tastes different for the style, real different, I swear I can almost tastes a hint of ham, or cheese, cuz its brewed in wisconsin...but seriously, a very good and distinctive taste that sets it apart from the rest.

M - Real clean and smooth going down, not bad at all, normal on the carbonation

O - Just a real good and cheap beer, i highly recommend it, I just don't know where u would find this, I haven't heard of this until a few weeks ago....u will probably never find something that tastes like this. (1,029 characters)

Hamm's beer, what can I say. It is probably the greatest beer to ever touch the fresh soiled grounds of America.

Hamm's was built on the backs of our grand fathers great grandfathers. Steel Mills, Furnace Blasts, Coal Mines and Lumberjacking.

Appearance: Very nice can style. Pompadour Classic. A golden brown shade of carbonated perfection.

Smell: Smells like really good beer with a hint of Americana. It smells like hops freshly picked out of a hop orchard in the Northeast. A hint of malt and barley also touches the back of the nose palet.

Taste: American perfection. Goes down ultra smooth whether warm or cold. Tastes similar to ChiMay and Hoptimus Prime.

Smell: Like the blood, sweat and tears of our forefathers.

Mouthfeel: please...

Overal: The best beer out right now in my opinion. You can buy a case and treat your friends and not have it kill your wallet.

Check out the video review after the jump:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB9za4emrR4 (966 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

On tap at a place with little choice to be had. Haven't ticked this one yet, so why not...

A: Served in a standard pint glass. Clear light golden color. Served with a minimal white head that doesn't bother sticking around for very long. No lacing.

S: Very little aroma. Maybe a bit if grain or corn. A touch of grass? Really there just isn't much of anything.

T: Well, the taste isn't quite as clean as the aroma. Light bodied, light sweetness, and that sort-of tart green apple flavor that is typical of American Lagers. A little grain, a little corn and just faintest touch of grassy hops.

M: light bodied. Medium carbonation. Low bitterness.

O: well, as to be expected, there isn't much going on with this one. Sadly, there are better light lagers available. (770 characters)

3.39/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the can into a pint glass.

A - Typical yellow-amber and clear, about two fingers of white head. Medium-low lacing.

S - Smells much like you'd expect from it. Some earthiness, grassiness, hops, and barley. Nothing crazy.

T - Actually better than I would expect for $17 out the door for a 30-pack. All the general tastes of an American adjunct, but pretty well put-together. Just seems a little less offensive than others and doesn't have that icy chewiness I might associate with Busch Light, for example.

M - Maybe because it's the regular rather than the light, it seems relatively smooth. I've had worse aftertastes.

O - I just may have found a new go-to cheap beer for buying en masse. (705 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +52.6%

If your looking for a medium bodied beer with great taste and unbeatable cost, then Hamm's is your beer. They have stayed true to their labeling as well as their flavor for years. I do like some micro's and I absolutely love Guinness, but I hate that folks are so proud of them. I can by 30 Hamm's or less then 1/2 case of a micro. I'll take Hamm's, thank you very much. (370 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +54.3%

On the most enjoyable bottled beers you can buy. Is it that good? Absolutely, as long as [1] you drink it as fresh as possible (ideally within the first month of delivery from the brew house, or at least months or more out from the expiration date); [2] you're not a piffy, nose-in-air snob.

I don't care about "grassy" this or that. The only question for is whether it tastes great. And, it does. The flavor is distinctive, balanced, and enjoyable. Again, as long as it's fresh, you'll get a really crisp, slightly grain-dominated start, which develops into a fresh, yeastier finish. Delightful. Hops are present in a correct ratio; this isn't some insanely over-hopped, liquid black dirt microbrew. Medium to lighter bodied, it's just the thing for the summer. It doesn't weigh you down, but it's immensely satisfying. (821 characters)

3.27/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Haven't seen this stuff since I was a kid. All of a sudden there it is at my local store for $10.80 a case. At that price, seriously, why not? I'll just break it out on poker night and even if it's absolutely dreadful, it'll still get finished off. I'll grab this 12'er of Lagunitas IPA for the 'house', just in case...

Served in a pint glass.

Pours a very pale golden with a thick white head that disappears quickly and leaves some delicate lacing. Looks okay. The lacing is actually pretty elegant looking.

Aroma is corn, a little grain, some grassiness. Typical for the style, nothing too terribly off-putting, but not the greatest smell either. Probably better left in the can.

Taste is very simple and straightforward, starts slightly sweet then fades into a swift corn/grain finish. Over and done like that (snaps fingers). Nothing off or bad tasting, but nothing stands out either. Super basic American lager.

Mouthfeel is also average for the style. Thin and light bodied, carbonation is average. Not too watery. Very drinkable. I could see losing count of how many of these I've had.

Overall this is just a slightly above average adjunct lager. I've had a few better, but I've had many worse. The aroma isn't the greatest, but I just had another one from the can and it was a non-issue. Hamm's is a perfectly cromulent session beer and actually an amazing value. I mean, $0.45/can for an actual drinkable beer? My overall rating takes this into consideration.

Update 9/7/13... Okay, fine. Hamm's has been our House Cheepniss all summer long. Probably on our 12th or 13th case at this point, and it's always in the fridge now for handing out by the armload to a bunch of guests, for keeping the whistle whetted in between precious glasses of hi-dolla craft, for pouring on the flareups when grilling burgers and for soaking the grilled brats until serving time, basically for all general "hey, it's beer" drinking purposes. One time I tried 'dry hopping' a can I was drinking with some Cascade pellet. Yeah, don't do that. Take it for what it is and it won't disappoint (much). Expect anything more and you're dumb. (2,132 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +32.9%

Hamm's has been my go to budget beer when in need of large quantities of beer on the cheap. A "Dirty 30" of Hamm's retails for under $15 which is an outstanding deal. Great for serving guests after they have drank your more expensive brews.

Hamm's has a light golden color, lightly carbonated and drinks smoothly. Hamm's is very similar to Miller High Life & Grain Belt Premium in terms of appearance and smell, however Hamm's has a distinct hop flavor that makes for a more enjoyable drinking experience. Hamm's is a no nonsense blue collar beer that satisfies again and again. (580 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -18.3%

Served on tap in a pint at the Blue Door Pub. I'm not going to lie, my friends helped me with this review and it was a little bit of a joke but I think we were honest for the most part. Reviewed from some pretty entertaining notes.

A- Yellow snow color.

S- "Ham," beer, water and feet hit the nose right off the bat.

T- Musty barley with some bread present.

M- "Water"

O- "It is What It Is."

Cheers. (408 characters)

I know this site is full of elitists and beer snobs but Hamm's is without a doubt the best session beer available ever. Great taste and great value. Get off your high horse and give credit where credit is due because Hamm's is truly deserving. I just wish it was easier to find In New England. (293 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +23.5%

This is my go-to beer when I need a fridge filler for relatives and friends. I have stocked other adjunct lagers in the past that I felt are better, but when your guests choose this over more expensive beer, I'm not going to argue.

The appearance is a light straw color that is transparent with a thin head that dissipates quickly. Smells like corn with a slight sweet malt presence, clean but overall not much to speak of. The taste is sweet with a light hop presence, refreshing with a slightly thicker mouth feel than a stereotypical adjunct lager. No skunk flavors with a nice finish and no real aftertaste.

Overall this is an adjunct lager and I cant say it is a great beer. It serves it's purpose as a refreshing lawnmower companion and makes my relatives feel welcome in my home. My rating for this beer is strictly style based receiving an elevated score because of price, 15 bucks for a thirty pack. It's not my favorite Adjunct, but it is the cheapest one I am willing to drink and beats BMC seven days a week. (1,024 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +24.6%

Milwaukee's Best used to be the cheapest 30-pack on the market, but now Hamm's has the cheapest 30-pack in town. A 30-pack of Hamm's is under $12 (before tax and bottle deposit), and the taste is decent. I'd say it's very similar to Red Dog, Busch, and Milwaukee's Best. (270 characters)

3.31/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance:
Straw color, clear. Lots of carbonation rising up. Fairly nice head.

Aroma:
Cooked corn, grains, a little metallic.

Taste:
Sweet grain, a little grassy, crisp bitterness, just a touch of corn, slight dry finish. Light and watery, very crisp, well carbonated. (272 characters)

3.03/5  rDev +4.8%

Can't beat Hamms for the Price. $11 a 30 pack. $5 for a 12 pack. This is my go to if im being cheap. it's drinkable not good but its the cheapest available here and tastes better than beers for $2-3 more.

Note: I review for the style. I refuse to let my prejudices slant any review. Nothing worse than the typical beer snob reviewing an AAL, same for your AAL drinker reviewing a craft brew. (392 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -0.3%

A - Yep if it was any lighter it would in fact be water but it looks like a pee. Foam is also as expected with a pretty decent lace ring.

S - Corn, corn, corn.

T - Well it does have a musky hop bite and it's not terribly skunked in flavor. Enjoyable in a Rolling Rock Sort of way. Ow yeah CORN!

M - Has a light body that one could session the hell out of.

Overall not something I would seek out might pick this up since it's around 15 bucks for a 30 pack. (459 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This pours a foamy pee color—light yellow with lazy bubbles. There’s a light corn malt aroma with the classic smell of adjuncts. It’s not offensive but not terribly appealing either. The flavor starts off about as crisp and clean and it’s going to get—keep it cold—and rapidly falls off with a harsh, musty finish. About everything I expected from this one. (369 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -2.8%

many people I have encountered are hating on the Hamm's. I have to say, for what it is, it is good. I like the fact that I have the ability to enjoy high end craft beers, homebrew, and Hamm's! all beer styles have that one beer that is the Platonic Ideal, and as far as American Lagers go, Hamm's is the one for me. Not as sweet as PBR and lighter feeling than Stag. Hamm's is a go to beer when you want to drink up American History. (433 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Well...here it is...Hamm's... a sixer of pints for under 4 bucks. Great bargain basement lager.

Not much to say about the look, smell and taste...pretty typical of the adjunct lager style...nothing dreadful. Some sweet corn...light on hops and malt. But certainly no ill after taste to mention, which speaks highly for the style.

One thing that might put this one a notch above other adjuncts is the mouthfeel...pretty smooth and easy to drink. A good hot weather beer if you're on a budget.

"An American classic...born in the land of sky blue waters". Nice job Hamms! (571 characters)

3.05/5  rDev +5.5%

Was surprised to see a sixer of Hamms pounders in a beverage store here in ME. I have not seen hamms in many years in this part of the country. The price seemed a bit high for what I remember as a value brand, but what the hell may not come around again.

Hamms is typical american adjunct lager, reminiscent of Coors banquet in its sweet, yet subtle flavor. Light, watery and very drinkable, no off flavors or smells but after a few I could sense a coating of tongue "bum breath" settling in. I think hamms holds its own esp since normally it is about cheaper than anything else around but has a solid drinkability. Still prefer ballantine, banquet, or schlitz as my go to adjuncts but hamms is certainly a very good choice when on a budget. (742 characters)

Sulfur and soft malt and some lingering yeast character.
Brilliantly clear very pale straw. Head is very white and fizzy sounding. Settles out rather quickly.
Shoot of sweet corn flavor up front, but a soft feel throughout. Pale malt is very soft and dominated by the adjunct. Mild, but noticeable dryness on the finish and it lingers. Full carbonation. Not much hopping.
Very easy drinking. A little too sweet for my tastes and a bit of strong on the adjuncts. I suppose it hits style fairly well. Can do for a lawnmower beer. (528 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -33.9%

This beer is as generic as it gets. Originally from MN (the land of sky blue waters) and heavily advertised back in the day. Great commericals of the northwoods boundary waters area. The cartoon bear is a classic. Unfortunately the beer is akin to water and smells/tastes like dried up grass.

However you can a 30 pack for about $15. Great for partying on the cheap side or lazily tubing down a river where the means is to get good and buzzed.

If you enjoy drinking it because of the cool classic commericals then go for it. Otherwise PBR is a superior alternative. (569 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -2.1%

12oz can into tulip

Look is gold-orange, clear with some rising bubbles. Smell is spicy corn, grain. Taste is metallic corn, grain, rice. feel is light, with some malty thickness. highly drinkable.

Decent amount of taste, albeit cooked grain adjunct taste. That being said, if you drink this excessively, plan on waking up with a massive headache. I consider this a dirty beer. Union-made, but dirty. (402 characters)

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.