Hamm's - Hamm's Brewing Co.

Hamm'sHamm's

poor

Hamm's Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hamm's Alström Bros
Ratings: 660 | Reviews: 249
1.9/5  rDev -28.6%

This beer is fine for an all day beer drinking marathon. Nothing special about it, other than the memories you create while drinking it.

1.91/5  rDev -28.2%

12 fl oz. can, with date on the bottom of the can readin May 12, 2014 - not sure if that's a best by date or a canned on date. Either way, I'm not expecting much. Another American adjunct lager, gifted to me from a friend mfndsvp. Acquired at the local beer store for $1.99 for the six pack.

Poured into a Winnie The Pooh pint glass.

A - Pours the typical clear golden straw color. Looks like yellow water. Just over a finger of fizzy white head that disappears entirely within a minute. I'm usually generous on the appearance of a beer, but this stuff doesn't look so great.

S - The smell is comprised of the usual suspects - cheap GMO corn / grain, dust, and wet cardboard. Slightly skunky, I guess I would say. It's pretty foul smelling.

T - The taste follows the nose - cheap GMO grain / corn / husk, and sparkling water.

M - Feel is crisp, grainy, and papery. Lingering wet cardboard aftertaste.

Overall, another tick from the bottom of the barrel with plenty more to go. The only selling point for this beer is the cheap price tag.

Hamm's ---2/5.

1.91/5  rDev -28.2%

This beer is as generic as it gets. Originally from MN (the land of sky blue waters) and heavily advertised back in the day. Great commericals of the northwoods boundary waters area. The cartoon bear is a classic. Unfortunately the beer is akin to water and smells/tastes like dried up grass.

However you can a 30 pack for about $15. Great for partying on the cheap side or lazily tubing down a river where the means is to get good and buzzed.

If you enjoy drinking it because of the cool classic commericals then go for it. Otherwise PBR is a superior alternative.

1.91/5  rDev -28.2%

Poured for can into tulip glass

A- Very pale straw clear yellow slightly less color than Bud. Bright white head not bad carbonation.

S- Light apple juice, communion wafer

T- Weak malt, slight noble hop bitterness, communion wafer aftertaste

M- Thin. I think I've had bottled water with more mouthfeel.

O- I pick this up cause I wanted something cheap to bring to a party of non-beer drinkers. Plus I heard it was the new hipster beer and wanted to check it out. Not as good as PBR or Bud and probably wouldn't buy again.

1.93/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Really not bad for cheap beer.

1.97/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

twelve cans for $5.99 is bang for your buck. At that price, what can you expect..
Nonetheless this brew was not as bad as the price tag made it seem- though it did have the same pathetic pale, yellow hue as other low end beers and a scent almost identical. The taste and mouthfeel earned it an extra star. The taste jumps at you when you're not expecting- something more impressionable than the average bottom shelf.
I'd recommend this to a buddy tight on cash.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

And we come to another once of the crappy beers on my list to purchase and try. This is the current case I have sitting in my fridge. A friend of mine told me this was the worst beer he has ever had, and quite frankly he couldn't be wrong. This beer just has a bad carbonated corn taste that turns me off. It is more full than competing beers, but this isn't saying much at all. Each of the cheap macro brews has their own subtle taste after you are hit with the carbonation and watery generic beer flavor, and Hamm's has been the worst to date. I hold this up there with Stroh's. Schlitz still remains my number one go to beer when the funds are low and the need for feed is high. The case was under ten dollars so it is one of the few beers out there that you can still get somewhat of a bargain on.

I drink it a lot, not cause I want to but its very cheap. So it has a special place in my heart.

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

ok, its charming to drink hams, and it doesn't taste as bad as a few others...but

I've discovered that a rat bastard friend of mine left a Hamm's 24 oz can in my beer fridge (along with a Steel Reserve that I can't even begin to understand.) So Rate the Hamm's I will. I don't know if I'll make it to the Steel, but the Hamm's could be passable....maybe.

Light color, flavor, taste, smell, presence...pretty much everything. But it goes down easily and I think the half I consumed from the can as opposed to the glass actually tasted better. Perhaps it was that it was the second half as well....

2.01/5  rDev -24.4%

Since I'm from the land of sky blue waters I thought it was worth a shot as I really like the Hamms Genuine Draft..This is not a good macro lager, but it's not a horrible one either...It's drinkable...crisp and clean...some adjunct taste and smell (cornish)...I'm not sure how close this resembles the original Hamm's but it is not worth seeking out. I think the original Hamm's was a Coors/Olympia type lighter/thinner style lager....this one seems to have too much adjunct/corn taste to it...still it's not a horrible beer..This label I think was first sold to Pabst and now is in Miller's hands...

2.03/5  rDev -23.7%

Just a bit more flavor than the light version... Meh

2.08/5  rDev -21.8%

I bought a 40 of this and iced that baby up. It had a dirty corn taste, some sweet cereal malts and a little more body than your average cheap-o cruddy lager. It put a hurtin on me somethin' fierce though. Dull yellow in appearance, and almost no head. This one needs to get really cold before one should attempt it. Finish it quick before it warms up. A good accompaniment to Oreos, Cheatoz, bbq fritos, and honey-buns.

2.1/5  rDev -21.1%

Haven’t seen this in the store for years. Thought it was long gone. Reading the commercial description made me laugh out loud. "Another classic beer produced by Pabst Brewing." Thats hard to say with a straight face. My dad used to drink this in the 60’s. I drank it in High School some in the early 80’s. Cheap American beer.

2.15/5  rDev -19.2%

Can. Yellow and fizzy and clear and urinesque. Smells like stale grains, old corn, cesspool water. Flavor is not as watery as some pale lagers but unfortunately the lack of wateriness is replaced with an abundance of cloying corn syrup and cereal. Finish is mineral and short. Yawn

2.17/5  rDev -18.4%

Really? A C+ Bros?

A pretty safe beer, but try it if you want to drink something that tastes kind of like a Bud Lite but want to keep your hipster cred.

Pours palest of yellows with a foamy white head and surprisingly little visible carbonation. Smells slightly musky with cooked veggies and very slight citrus.

Flavor is weak, a touch of lemon zest with just a hint of hop to give a baby bite to the flavor of this beer. More flavor than light beers that are glorified mineral water, but not too much to think about here either. Carbonated throughout, light and kind of refreshing, although some flavor and boldness could do a little good here.

2.18/5  rDev -18%

This is the beer that I go for on maybe a hot summer day. It's watery and basically tasteless, but it lacks the bad after taste of the many American breweries. This is like a refreshing "light" beer for thirst quenching although beer never really solves your thirst does it? Anyway it can be a little refreshing.

I remember the last time I purchased it was in a little town called Le Mars, Iowa on a Karaoke night. The farmers at the bar kinda booed me while the bartender shook my hand when I ordered a Hamms. I doubt if anybody there had tried an exotic beer other than Michelob dark. The crew obviously had a long running debate on Hamm'[s quality. You know the redneck types who argue whether Bud is better than Miller. LOL. That argument is tantamount to debating who's better Jeff Gillooly or joey buttafuoco.

Anyway if you drink a Hamms then listen to some George Jones. Nothing else will really do.

2.19/5  rDev -17.7%

“From the land of sky blue waters…” Apparently that’s Milwaukie these days.

16oz tallboy can from a 6-pk purchased at a local discount grocery store for $4.79. Easily the cheapest 6-pk I’ve bought for a long time, probably a couple of years.

Poured into a Jever pilsener glass, this was a chill-hazed gold color, with a big, sudsy, noisy, bone-white head that dropped fast and left remarkably small amounts of lace on the sides of the glass. Said head could be agitated back to life with minimal effort, but it dropped back down to a foamy skiff, pronto. Lots of tiny bubbles could be seen hurtling skyward.

Although it was done for absurdity more than anything else, the pour into a pilsener glass was not completely out of place. Although the primary scent was of crude graininess, there was a little bit of dry, grassy European hoppiness that wasn’t to be denied. It’s a minor note, however, and the nose remained dominated by the crude, overly sweet malt aroma.

Inoffensively bland, that’s the taste in a nutshell. Not as vegetable oil-tasting as some in the style, but I suspect that’s because I’m drinking it ice cold rather than any superiority over its style mates. Sweet malts dominate the taste, with barely a trace of the hops scented earlier. Slightly crisp finish, with a mild, sickly sweet grainy aftertaste.

Watery, yet not light. I suppose it’s pretty standard for the style, but it’s not what I would call good. It’s more like a pilsener with a little too much body.

About par for the course. This isn’t the worst American adjunct lager I’ve had, but there’s not much to stand out here. All in all, I’d rather have an Oly if drinking this style.

2.2/5  rDev -17.3%

Literally the very edge of the " cheap " corner of a beer shelf. Hamm's brings virtually nothing to the table in terms of anything. A transparent piss yellow color, With your average lager smell. Taste was slightly less appealing than Bud Light and the mouthfeel was all fizzy and carbonation. But, At $13.45 a 30 pack you can't really pass it up if you want to get a few people drunk for very cheap, Although I'd shell out a little bit extra for some Milwaukee's or Some Pabst. As a matter of fact, I washed this beer down with a Pabst

2.22/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Wanted to try something different from the macro world, so I picked up a 6-pack of 16-ounce Hamm's for under $5. Cheap as beer gets, I imagine. Very light straw color. White, bubbly head retains well — for the style. Sweet malt and adjunct smell. Not much else. Maybe esters. No skunk, at least (although I do have a high tolerance for it, and even prefer it in some beers). Grainy, very light rindy hop bitterness with bready finish. Less adjunct-forward and honey-like than a Dos Equis for example. Light-bodied with extremely sudsy carbonation, and a crisp finish. I won't be drinking the other 5 in a hurry. May share them with friends when they come over.

2.23/5  rDev -16.2%

This was one of the first beers i had when i went off to college. I tried it as i had never heard of if and wanted to do something different than all my roommates who were Bud lovers. It's not an expensive beer, and it shows. The flavor is not great, but not terrible either. It had a light aroma, and a slightly chemical taste. There was little or no corn / hops flavor, and seemed kind of watery. Either way, i can't find it anymore, and Bud has taken it's space on the shelves, which pisses me off. Overall, not bad. If it was there, i'd drink it.

2.25/5  rDev -15.4%

Good golly, here we go. Same look as most beers in this price catagory, reminds me of a headache. The smell actually gives me one (or was it the truckload of beer i had last night?). Either way, you are getting what you pay for with this one, a buzz. Taste is not great. Better priced than some of the other shitty beers however. All in all Not sweet.

2.27/5  rDev -14.7%

This pours from 12oz can a light gold with a smallish head of foam that doesn't hang around very long and there's just a wee bit of lacing.

The smell is very strongly of corn and sweet malt.

The taste on first sip is all sweet malt and corn. A few more sips in and there's some citrusy hops, mostly lemon, in the background that is most noticeable near and through the finish but I can't say it does a good enough job to save this beer from a short and less than stellar review from yours truly.

2.28/5  rDev -14.3%

Still in the airport. Flight still delayed. Let's try this random adjunct. Localish/regional pilsner. Poured by the bartender into a silly Sam Adams perfect pint tulip. Didn't leave the can.

A: Fairly pale yellow body with 2-3 fingers of sudsy head. Water clear. Thin coat of head by about 2 minutes. Wasn't expecting any miracles. Didn't see any. No red flags, though.

S: Corn. Grainy sweetness. Faint malt. Grass. It is what it is, I suppose. Less than appealing, but not grossly offensive.

T: Very sweet with corn and biscuit notes. Some light bitterness on the finish. Sweetness is cloying. This is declining as it goes... My mouth tastes peculiarly of salt water about half-way down the glass. Now the metallic flavors are creeping in... Not good. Finished the glass though.

M: Prickly, moderately high carbonation. No surprises here. Standard american adjunct feel. Kinda club soda.

O: Ordered this for fun. Honestly, I wasn't expecting more than I received. I'd rather have a Bud. I would like to see how it drinks out of the can.

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.