Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Hamm's - Hamm's Brewing Co.

Hamm's Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hamm's Alström Bros
2.68/5  rDev -3.6%

Appearance: thin, pale, and golden. Soapy, bubbly head disappeared quickly

Smell: husky grains (corn, barley and what not). Meager hop presence

Taste: crisp malt and grains, slender taste overall. I seem to get a light metallic flavor to this beer. Hops are thin and somewhat astringent towards the finish

Mouthfeel: light body and bland overall. Sits in the mouth alright...especially when ice cold. I could see this in my fridge from time to time. It is a sub-par macro-lager that is cheap and will do the job! Hard to come by this beer and when I saw it for 3.99 for a sixer of 16oz cans I just had to have it

2.67/5  rDev -4%

Appearance - Poured a light golden color with a white foamy head. Slight laciness.

Taste - Hint of barley but definetly cereal grains. Minor after taste of grains.

Smell - Nothing but a hint of grains.

Mouthfeel - Like water, no texture

Drinkability - Good, very light.

Not a bad beer for the price. Excellent for sitting around a camp fire or on a hot day to enjoy a couple.

3.23/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Okay, I am updating my rating from last time... I do not know if I had a skunked batch, or what, but Hamm's is really not too bad for being the cheapest brew (12 pack) at the local liquor store. Decent taste and drinkability have made this one of my new 'Summer Beers'.

1.6/5  rDev -42.4%

Pours a very, VERY pale yellow with a soft white head that sticks around for a while. Millions of little bubbles rise to the top of the glass constantly.

Aroma is mostly crisp grain like it is freshly cut. A little sulpher comes to the nose as well.

Taste is a real disappointment to me. Very grainy corn flavors, a little slippery on the tongue and a hop finish that doesn't taste like hops but rather sweet malt gone bad. With all of that said it is one of the weakest tasting brews I've ever had.

I'm sorry, Hamms..this one is just undrinkable for me.

2.73/5  rDev -1.8%

Appearance is golden straw yellow, a bit more character than most macros. Some head, but no lacing.
Smell is ok, smells like cheap malt and thats about all.
Taste is same as the smell but a bit stale that didn't come through on the nose.
Mouthfeel light medium with some carbonation.
Drinkability is inhibited by the stalenss.

3.74/5  rDev +34.5%

9.99 a case, I had to try it. You know what, its not bad - much better than any popular BMC brand. Light yellow color, smelled better than your typical macro, but taste fantastic. I wish this was available in bottles....looks like its going to be a Hamms summer!

2.3/5  rDev -17.3%

12 oz can poured into a pilsener glass. pours a crystal clear light straw color with a half finger of loose white head that fizzles out quickly. no lacings.

aroma is of grain and a possible distant note of floral yeast or hops. the grain is stale in character, and holds no sweetness or richness.

taste is of light malt and grain up front, with a crisp and clean finish, almost sour on the palate. no floral character or hop presence. very thin in profile.

mouthfeel is ultra-light bodied, and the texture resembles sparkling water. the finish is of mild CO2 and a touch of grain.

drinkability is not good. this is a sub-par macro lager. the malt is not malty, but rather grainy, and stale at that. there is no hop presence, which leads to an unbalanced composition. not recommended

3.96/5  rDev +42.4%

Poured a 12oz can into my Newcastle pint glass. Pours a yellow straw with just a slight carbonation. Aroma is mostly corn, with a slight sweetness. Not much more. It's really straight forward. This beer tells you exactly what it is in its aroma. The taste is just the same, no exception. Mouthfeel is light with just a slight carbonation. This is one of the better Retro's. It's a really great Lawn Mower beer.

2.96/5  rDev +6.5%

Went to my parents' house for Easter dinner and found that my dad is now including Hamm's in his beer fridge. Remembering the "Promise me anything, but give me a Hamm's" sweatshirt he wore for just about every home improvement project during my youth, I couldn't resist trying it.

A: Pale yellow with a half-inch of white head, some carbonation bubbling up from the bottom of the glass.

S: Unremarkable, nothing really there that stood out.

T: Taste was very balanced and smooth. None of the skunk-like aftertaste I get from most beers of this style.

M: Light bodied with gentle carbonation.

D: This beer was a pleasant surprise delivering more than I expected. It is one of my favorites of the style. I will throw a few of these into the beer fridge as the yard work season heats up here in the "Land of Sky Blue Waters."

2.58/5  rDev -7.2%

This was left over from a party...ya, I am a grown man and someone brought this to my house...poured into a glass this has a wheat color with a thin white head that dissipated before I put the can down. There was almost no smell at all, maybe a little skunk but nothing else. Very bland taste with mild carbonation. Not much else to say.

2.33/5  rDev -16.2%

Appearance - Nice white head about a quarter of an inch tall but it fades away fast leaving no trace. The body is clear golden yellow with a hint at orange depending on the angle of my view.

Smell - The scent has soapiness to it often found in a hefe. Nothing special about this aroma.

Taste - The taste is thin and weak. It has a subtle flavor in consisting of malt but nothing I'd consider a good flavor.

Mouthfeel - The feel of this brew is actually not to bad. It has a subtle coarseness on the tip of my tongue, which helps to bring out what little flavor there is.

~ As far as a, hang out with buddies and drink a few beers, beer. It's not something I'd bring to a social gathering but I have to admit it could be worse.

3.03/5  rDev +9%

This seemed like the perfect compliment to a Frito pie at Quencher's Saloon in Chicago. At $2, I couldn't complain...

It poured an apple juice gold, with plenty of ascending streams of carbonation. One finger of head rapidly faded to a thin white ring around the edge. A small amount of spotty lace resulted, but it didn't really stick.

Light corn aroma, with a vague floral scent behind it.

Mild artificial apple flavor, and dry papery malt. No hops to speak of, although overall it's pretty inoffensive. Light and gassy feeling. As long as it's served ice cold, it's not hard to drink when you're thirsty. Possibly a better alternative to some of the more tasteless macros.

This will always remind me of Johnnie's in Chicago... RIP.

3.58/5  rDev +28.8%

Poured from can into a mug.
Appearance: Considering this is a cheap man's beer it is suprisingly attractive. Nothing special but nothing disappointing. Decent head, and good color for this style.

Smell: The smell led me to believe that it was going to be a very bitter, very malty beer. Maybe that was just the aluminum can. Just a slight odor of hops.

Taste: WOW! Could not believe how good it tasted. Very balanced brew, that has a pretty nice crisp, hoppiness to it. Also has a bit of a "zing" to it, can't put my finger on it, but almost citrussy.

Mouthfeel: Good feel. Not overly carbonated like some of the macros.

Drinkability: This is without a doubt the most drinkable beer I have ever had. Goes down real nice. Especially when hittin the links.

Review: More of an IPA man myself, however this beer did not disappoint me in the least, especially considering the fact that a paid $6.49 for 12 pack. I can say without a doubt that for the money this is the best beer out there. Of course there is better beer out there, but if you want some cheap beer this the beer.

2.75/5  rDev -1.1%

I haven't had this beer in 15 years. I use to bring this to BYOB parties knowing that no one else would steal my brew. They would stick to Bud, Busch Light, and High Life and mock me and my Hamm's.

This is a very pale looking beer with large white head that settles quickly. Very lively long after the pour.

The smell isn't nearly as obnoxious as most other macro lagers. There still isn't anything good about it though.

The taste is weak. Don't remember it being this weak. Maybe get a little bit of the hops but otherwise is beer flavored water. It is light and crisp so pounding these all night would be no problem. Maybe that is why I liked it back in the day.

1.87/5  rDev -32.7%

Cheap. Cheap. This beer is very hard to even find anymore. Pissy and fizzy. Soapy head. The smell of cheap beer made from substandard ingredients. Tastes like metal, hay, and dirt. Thin and watery. But you can drink a lot of them with your jerkoff friends around a campfire. The price is the indicator when you buy this product. You don't buy this for the quality. You buy this for drinking large amounts. And that's a purpose it serves well. Cheap.

3.22/5  rDev +15.8%

12 oz. can, from a 12-pack bought at the local BevMo for $5.99,

A: Pours a light, yellow colour from the can, into a mug, nice white head at first, but bad retention, no lacing, big bubbles.

S: Smells of light corn and malt, but fuller than most macros.

T: Tastes quite sweet from the malt and obvious corn adjuncts used, but it is not off-putting at all. A light flavour, that is a step up from the almost nothingness in taste that is today's mass-produced industrial lager, and I even tasted a bit of hops, the taste reminded me a lot of Schlitz.

M: Bubbly, light, a tad insipid, but it could be worse.

D: One of the better macros I've had, and cheaper than BMC to boot. A good choice if you're short on cash, but wan't a beer.

2.95/5  rDev +6.1%

It is amazing to find this around. It brings back memories of the imposing Hamm's brewery building, the Hamm's bear and the Pabst brewery tour I took back in the early 90s. The tour guide told us they used Hamm's to fill the generic beer cans.

Still an all right beer, any port in a storm.

Light, pale yellow appearance. Minimal malt smells and taste characteristics. Thin mouthfeel.

2.1/5  rDev -24.5%

Haven’t seen this in the store for years. Thought it was long gone. Reading the commercial description made me laugh out loud. "Another classic beer produced by Pabst Brewing." Thats hard to say with a straight face. My dad used to drink this in the 60’s. I drank it in High School some in the early 80’s. Cheap American beer.

3.11/5  rDev +11.9%

Saw this one on tap at a local watering hole, the kind that local factory guys come to after a good days work, so I had to try it; besides, 3 dollars for a mini pitcher how can you go wrong?

I was expecting something between bud light and water, and no surprise, thats what I got. But what I was surprised at was how comfortable this beer was to drink. It wasn't over carbonated like most light lagers, and it didn't have the slight bitter - however faint - to it of most of the macros.

No, this one is straw pale and a ridiculously easy drink, exactly what I want when I want something refreshing and light; which is what you get.

2.35/5  rDev -15.5%

from the land of sky blue waters...not bad. it has been a while since i had this, but it was decent. i didnt think this was made anymore. i have not seen it in the stores for years.

another of the many many good lawnmowing and cookout beers.

dont think too hard on the Canoe comment. only about 10 people in the world know what that means and i doubt any of them are members of BA.

suckem up and movem out!

3.3/5  rDev +18.7%

Do you see how I rated this beer? 3.3 on the Richter Scale. I mean, good grief, give this beer a break. In 1964 when I first drank this "mother's milk" I would have rated it 3.3. It hasn't changed, thank goodness. This is the type of beer that my grandpa and dad drank when coming in from lawn mowing. Push mower I might add. Sheeesh, let's get with the program my friends and honor the name cherished by millions of teenagers in the middle 60's. From the Land of Sky Blue Waters, and always will be.

3.07/5  rDev +10.4%

a: light yellow, eigth inch head that dissapears fast leaving only a trace of lacing
s: sweet corn malts lemony smell
t: starts out with sweet corn malts, ahint of lemony hop flavor, but not watered down, this isnt too bad
m: light bodied with average carbonation, nothing special

overall this is not a bad beer for the price, i picked it up cause i thought it would be cool to try.

2.27/5  rDev -18.3%

This pours from 12oz can a light gold with a smallish head of foam that doesn't hang around very long and there's just a wee bit of lacing.

The smell is very strongly of corn and sweet malt.

The taste on first sip is all sweet malt and corn. A few more sips in and there's some citrusy hops, mostly lemon, in the background that is most noticeable near and through the finish but I can't say it does a good enough job to save this beer from a short and less than stellar review from yours truly.

3.88/5  rDev +39.6%

Appearance: Pours a very pale yellow, nice looking soapy white head has left a decent lacing capping the beer. Beer is icy cold and frosted the glass a bit.

Smell: Some musty grains, cooked rice, a little grassy hops, actually balanced and refreshing.

Taste: Very light bready sweetness, a little lemony citrus, hops are very faint but balance, the beer becomes biscuity in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Crisp rolling carbonation, body is light but not as watery as some competitors, very drinkable.

Drinkability: This was surprisingly balanced and refreshing, stays looking good, superior mouthfeel to other AML.

1.77/5  rDev -36.3%

"headache in a can"

I had this beer last summer at a family get together because someone brought it, the nerve of them!

Drank it out of a can.

Smell some malt and yeast?

Taste sweet, not really a malt sweetness, just sweet.

It doesn't offend and has a sweet after taste.

I got a headache after I finished the 2nd can and needed to take asprin and switch to iced tea.

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.