Hamm's - Hamm's Brewing Co.

Hamm's Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hamm's Alström Bros
2.88/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured this into a regular old pint glass. It's a straw yellow color with lots of bubbles floating to the top. It gave off a one finger white head but quickly fell to pretty much no head at all.

Smell is grainy, a bit dry with a little tart apple.

Taste is of corn, grain and a little bitterness at the end. I'm hesitant to say "hop bitterness" though.

The mouthfeel is light, crisp and drinkable but will likely have you burping from the decent amount of CO2.

There isn't much to say about this beer, it's a little better than Budweiser but not as good as Schlitz.

2.3/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It pours a huge head, I mean huge, three fingers, it's lasting longer than I thought it would, but I'm sure it will be gone in no time. The body is completely see through, damn this is see through, this might be the most see through beer yet, and that's saying a lot. There is a lot of carbonation, and surprisingly, the beer looks like it is leaving good lacing, I'm in awe. Even though I can here the head fizzing away, the appearance actually isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I mean the body is atrocious, but the head has some good qualities. Unlike Coors and Coors light, you can smell a little hops on the nose, very very small, but still there. Other than that there is a malt sweetness and a sour adjunct smell. Not horrible again on the smell, but for sure not up to par with any "good" beer. The taste is pretty crappy, there is mostly just sweet, almost stale malt taste here. There is the smallest hop taste, but nothing really there. Very watery, I mostly just get that gross cheap malt taste. On one hand, it has more of a flavor than Coors and Coors light, but it's not a good flavor. Mouthfeel is pretty bad, but not as bad as the Coors light. It has some girth to it, but for the most part it is just watery. The drinkability is the one great thing about this beer, it just goes down like no other, it is super light, and now that I drink it more, that flavor that I thought it had has kinda gone, and it's all subdued, so I makes it easier to drink. Overall on this beer, eh, ok for an adjunct lager, the beer changes a lot as you drink it, gross in some ways, smooth in some other ways.

3.3/5  rDev +18.7%

"From the land of sky blue waters, waters." This BMC-equivalent was enjoyed at Margie's Bar in Eveleth, MN, after a week of canoeing in the Boundary Waters. Smells like weak malt. Tastes watered down. And it's dirt cheap. What's not to love about Hamms? Heck, try this beer for the old-time commercials only. Believe me, you're not drinking Hamms for the taste.

3.21/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Tall boy can - six pack for $4.00! Pours straw yellow - a shade darker than the average American Adjunct Lager. Foamy white head, lingers for a bit then stays as a thin wispy lace on top of the beer. Aromas is faint hops and cornbread - again, a bit above average for the style. Taste - Bready with a corn tinge, hops are definitely apparent but very light - very clean flavor profile - crisp and refreshing. Overall, just a touch better than many of its more famous competitors - given that this is one of the cheapest beers out there ,it is not bad for what it is. would choose over Coors, Bud, or Pabst.

3.33/5  rDev +19.8%

Presentation/Appearance: I'll be honest, I drank this straight from the can. The can has a neat retro look and the packaging is less generic than most of the mass-produced domestic light beers.

Smell: Not much on the nose, but there is a slight corn aroma.

Taste: The flavor profile is thin compared to most craft beer, but decent compared to most light domestics. It's watered down and metallic tasting, but still somewhat grainy.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and heavily carbonated. Obviously meant to be drunk very cold.

Drinkability: There's not much flavor, but what is there is not too unpleasant. This is about all you can ask of adjunct lagers, and it gives Hamm's a higher drinkability rating than many of its peers.

Notes: This beer is great for what it is. It's an excellent alternative to most of the macro adjuncts out there, in terms of both price and flavor. In this way, I would liken it to PBR, which I am a fan of. Think of it as PBR's kid brother, looking up to and aspiring to be PBR.

1.97/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

twelve cans for $5.99 is bang for your buck. At that price, what can you expect..
Nonetheless this brew was not as bad as the price tag made it seem- though it did have the same pathetic pale, yellow hue as other low end beers and a scent almost identical. The taste and mouthfeel earned it an extra star. The taste jumps at you when you're not expecting- something more impressionable than the average bottom shelf.
I'd recommend this to a buddy tight on cash.

2.94/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a Shaker pint glass.

APPEARANCE: pours a clear light yellow with less than one finger head that dissipated completely in seconds, medium carbonation, not a trace of lacing on the glass.

SMELL: not assertive, corn, grass, sweet malt.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, sweet malt, corn, grass, almost no hop profile is present.

PALATE: very light with medium carbonation, finishes dry.

OVERALL: this is a classic lawnmower beer, the adjunct lager is inexpensive but satisfies on a basic level. Hamm's is better than most beers of this style so if you are on a budget this is a good choice.

3.74/5  rDev +34.5%

Tonight after bowling league I picked up 12 cans of Hamms beer for around $6.99. I like to revisit the old industrial lagers from time to time. I'm on number three and I have to say I'm digging this beer. Looks like an old time lager should. Very clear and very pale. Aroma sort of leaps out you, for an adjunct lager that is. First of all it doesn't smell like corn, that's something right there. Second, I can smell hops, honest to goodness hops. Not like really powerful hops, but they are there in all their floral, grassy ahem, glory. Tastes alright. Again, doesn't taste like corn. It's not an overly sweet, corn flavored beer. It's light and wheaty, with a touch of grassy hops. Off dry finish. Nice full carbed up mouth. This beer is solid and mostly stands out for what it doesn't have. That is its lack of sweet, corny flavour. Clean and basic with a touch of hops.

2.67/5  rDev -4%

Appearance - Poured a light golden color with a white foamy head. Slight laciness.

Taste - Hint of barley but definetly cereal grains. Minor after taste of grains.

Smell - Nothing but a hint of grains.

Mouthfeel - Like water, no texture

Drinkability - Good, very light.

Not a bad beer for the price. Excellent for sitting around a camp fire or on a hot day to enjoy a couple.

Container Volume: 355ml

Container type: bottle

Fresh: y

Purchased @: anywhere

Cost: cheap

Head: none

Lace: none

Color: pale yellow

Aroma: tinny

Mouthfeel: light

Palate: curls the tongue

Taste: Tastes like any other pale American lager...all fake carbonation. again only drank this because it was cheap and we wanted a buzz. Seriously, DON'T get this.

Mowing/Working on car- n
With Friends- n
Sipping- n
Get my buzz on- n

2.22/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Wanted to try something different from the macro world, so I picked up a 6-pack of 16-ounce Hamm's for under $5. Cheap as beer gets, I imagine. Very light straw color. White, bubbly head retains well — for the style. Sweet malt and adjunct smell. Not much else. Maybe esters. No skunk, at least (although I do have a high tolerance for it, and even prefer it in some beers). Grainy, very light rindy hop bitterness with bready finish. Less adjunct-forward and honey-like than a Dos Equis for example. Light-bodied with extremely sudsy carbonation, and a crisp finish. I won't be drinking the other 5 in a hurry. May share them with friends when they come over.

3.25/5  rDev +16.9%

Well, perhaps I was being under the annoyance of those Central America beers with a lot of corn additives, but I really did not like this one. I found a lot of those in it, and really wanted to throw it away after a while. But going backwards, it had a nice bread smell.

2.18/5  rDev -21.6%

This is the beer that I go for on maybe a hot summer day. It's watery and basically tasteless, but it lacks the bad after taste of the many American breweries. This is like a refreshing "light" beer for thirst quenching although beer never really solves your thirst does it? Anyway it can be a little refreshing.

I remember the last time I purchased it was in a little town called Le Mars, Iowa on a Karaoke night. The farmers at the bar kinda booed me while the bartender shook my hand when I ordered a Hamms. I doubt if anybody there had tried an exotic beer other than Michelob dark. The crew obviously had a long running debate on Hamm'[s quality. You know the redneck types who argue whether Bud is better than Miller. LOL. That argument is tantamount to debating who's better Jeff Gillooly or joey buttafuoco.

Anyway if you drink a Hamms then listen to some George Jones. Nothing else will really do.

2.82/5  rDev +1.4%

hamm's is my cheap go to beer when the night calls for adjunct. Probably my third choice overall and first if money is a factor. poured into my sprecher taster.

pours a lively and crystal clear straw. looks very clear and light on the yellows. a bone white 1/4 inch head slowly (for an AAL) dissipates.

smell is typical. clean and non offensive adjunct. corn, rice, grass, wet hay.

taste is crisp and again, non offensive. light with prickly carbonation. I like the mouthfeel on this one. from the land of sky blue waters...

2.99/5  rDev +7.6%

12 oz can into a pint glass

Ap- pours a very clear light yellow color with a bright white head about 1/4 inch with crappy retention

Ar- straw, water, tin, with the faintest hop and malt aroma

T- sweet light malt, water, and some hay and a touch of corn

M- very light bodied and good carbonation

O- It's Hamm's for damn sake, I wasn't expecting much when I bought this beer but I was going for cheapness. It's $15.99 for a 30 pack and it tastes just as good as any other AAL. Cheers!

2.48/5  rDev -10.8%

Got a 1 finger fizzy white head outta my pour that went down quickly. Color is a clear straw.

Has a skunky grain aroma to the smell.

Taste is of grains and malts. Nothing special.

Really crisp, clean drink, light body with lots of carbonation.

Easy enough to drink. Sessionable.

A 'drink to get drunk' kind of beer.

Not much else to say about this beer.

3.07/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured into a frosty mug, it's a pale straw color, as clear as a pristine river. a sizeable foamy white head results from the pour.

The smell is the worst thing about this beer, i don't think it smells particularly well. Like musty grains, kind of dirty.

The taste is pretty decent for an Adjunct lager. There is a sweetness to it, some grainyness and a little bit of hop bitterness. Somewhat watery, yet crisp and refreshing.

Light bodied, high carbonation. very thin, but that's pretty usual for this style.

Drinkability is good, it goes down fast, just a light, easy drinking beer. A good one to pick up in the warmer weather of spring and summer. Worth a try if you're looking for something cheap and you're tired of pabst.

3.88/5  rDev +39.6%

Appearance: Pours a very pale yellow, nice looking soapy white head has left a decent lacing capping the beer. Beer is icy cold and frosted the glass a bit.

Smell: Some musty grains, cooked rice, a little grassy hops, actually balanced and refreshing.

Taste: Very light bready sweetness, a little lemony citrus, hops are very faint but balance, the beer becomes biscuity in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Crisp rolling carbonation, body is light but not as watery as some competitors, very drinkable.

Drinkability: This was surprisingly balanced and refreshing, stays looking good, superior mouthfeel to other AML.

2.7/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

As far as cheap beers go, this is probably one of the best. Hamm's has a decent taste to it, but you still need to drink it quickly since its taste goes downhill when achieving room temperature. I would never buy Hamm's myself, but I don't have a problem drinking it at a buddies house.

2.62/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Being from Minnesota means you have to like Hamm's beer. Not liking would be like picking a Lady Slipper or dissing Bud Grant. We frown on things like that.

2.7/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This is the beer I get more often than I'd care to admit to myself or others, but I still buy it,drink it & "like" it...and on just the right sorta day,i even almost need it....kinda like watchin' the news on t.v. if you are a news junky who really just wants to set by the river and fish or do some camping instead of being stuck inside with a talking head on a screen in front of you...
but anyway,w/that all said...

This is the beer I drink when I feel guilty about how much $ I've been spending on other beer.
This is the beer I drink when I'm broke (or feel that I'm about to be broke).
This is the beer I drink when I want a cheap lager.
This is the beer I could imagine charles Bukowski, jim morrison,the bum in my alley & me and my dog all setting around drinking....& not caring what it's like to be a drunk or a beer snob or an intellectual or a geek or god or devil in any shape or form.
This is the beer that really says,"America...party-time"...especially in certain states...
This is the beer i'd like to not drink with white castle sliders & for obvious reasons.
This is the beer you drink if u have a "can-do attitude" when it's raining,the yard needs mowed,your teeth hurt,you don't remember the last time you had a "good" dream and when the chicago cubs have won the world series in an alternate (but still transparent to us) universe.
This is the beer that sets at the back of your fridge for all the time that you DO have money...or just because your wife & every house guest says,"I'll just have tea" when you try & talk them into having one.
This is the beer that is both good AND bad...so MODERATE consumption is required...

Pours from the can pale bright golden yellow with a nice 1/2 inch creamy snow white head which stays awhile.
Smells of Corn grass and citrus.
Taste of sweet corn with a nice small hit of Hops and citrus flavor and alcohol. Very Mild would be a great lawn mowing beer for sure when it is hot as it has been this summer here in the northest.
It is highly refreshing and smooth in your mouth, a nice version of an old time favorite when I was young. Many thanks to my friend Ray who traveled out to Wis for vacation for getting me a 30 pack of it, been wanting to try the new suff for awhile now. A nice price also $11.00. A nice old time Union made very drinkable beer. Or as we Say it is Old School.

If we had it in pa I would get some offten for a nice beer to kick down a few! For me way more flavorful then Miller, Coors or Bud anytime!
COME ON Miller / Coors bring it back to Pa was a real big seller in the Old days here. And I think the way retro beers are selling around here in Pa would sell great again. A typical old time real working mans American Beer. Drinking it I could imagin the Hamms Beer Bear dancing in the old time ads. From The Land Of Sky Blue Waters Hamms The Beer refreshing!! Update Hamm's is back in Pa in 2012 just bought a 30 pack at Epps in Limerick. This will be my hot weather drink a bunch beer from now on. Thanks to Miller / Coors for bringing it back.Hamms is very old school in falvor and refreshment for it's type.

2.51/5  rDev -9.7%

This is not as bad as expected. It is not a great beer, in fact, it borders on crap. But I wouldn't complain if I got one on a hot summer day. Pours straw yellow, with a dry white head which is gone in seconds. Taste is of corn. Hoppiness is weak. Very little if any malt flavor. Still, an interesting American lager.

4.2/5  rDev +51.1%

Great Macro swill, for the price its got all you could expect and more. My favorite style is American Classic Macro and this is one of the best along side Schmidts, Oly, and the new Schlitz. Hamms served at 32 degrees is as good as it gets for drinkability.

3.18/5  rDev +14.4%

Im reviewing this beer while on vacation.

I got a twelve pack for $5.99 at some hole in the wall place. The beer around where I am staying is pretty expensive since alot of micro and big name breweries are rather close. (Miller... blachhh)

This beer is in a can. I didnt have a glass to pour it into. So I give it the benefit of the doubt that its average. The cans pretty cool. Old school.

Smell is kind of metallic. Corney. Light alcohol scent.

Taste is the same as the smell. Easy to drink. Nice carbonation. Had a nice veggie water and alcohol taste. Very smooth, kind of a bite at the end of a drink. Slight metallic as stated before.

Mouthfeel was slippery. With the average carbonation its still very easy to drink. It is not sugary or overwhelming. Pretty balanced.

Drinkability could be higher, if the beer was free. :P

Good beer, great price.
I almost said screw it, Im moving to Wisconsin because of the beer here. This place is great.

Hamm's from Hamm's Brewing Co.