McChouffe - Brasserie d'Achouffe

McChouffeMcChouffe

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 09-22-2001

ABV varies from time to time.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of McChouffe Alström Bros
first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Reviews: 507 | Hads: 1,001
4.88/5  rDev +23.2%

Amazing beer, simply put.

I uncorked this expecting a decent, yet overall mediocre beer with my meal. I was taken back by the robust flavor of the beer. It was not only outstanding on its own, but enhanced the flavor of my meal (burger). I found myself savoring every sip of this fine drink. A complex and greatly enjoyable drink. If you are a fan of belgian ales, this will not fail to impress. I will be buying this regularly. (430 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +21.2%

Chose this beer after touring the Achouffe Brewery in Belgium. You leave there and go a Cafe Chesar about .5 miles away for your 2 tastings included with the tour. Of all the beers we tasted while in Belgium, this was my second favorite beer behind Westvleteren 12. I love the malty, carmel, toasty aroma followed by the sweet fruit variety of tastes taste on your tongue with the smooth dry finish. I found it to be a great complex beer with changing notes as it warmed. I thought it was outstanding and since I can't get Westvleteren 12 in the States, it is my new favorite for home drinking. (594 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +21.2%

The first time I tasted this beer I was stunned because it was everything I liked in a Belgian ale. Wonderful deep rosy color, noticable spicy aroma, most impressive taste and a drinkability to last a lifetime. The alcohol left we warm & mellow after a difficult week at work. To me Friday's are McChouffe days. A wonderful brew, indeed. Give this one a try if you like complex brews with multiple tastes for the palate. One of my favorites. (441 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +21.2%

S: Indulgent, rich strong sweet, bready dark fruit with brandy. Mild alcohol at the end. It's potent! Just all sweet caramel and brandy upfront.

T: Again, potent. Full-mouth unique tingly, rich, sweet, dark roasted caramel and brown sugar. That's all contrasted by bitter hops at the end. Sweet, bitter, bold, and fun! (319 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +20.5%

33 cl. bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: A very dark and slightly hazy amber body with an off-white head that fades rather fast (I need to stop serving these so cold, but this review's over a long period of time as I'm drinking it), though the lacing, by the first pour and with subsequent small swirls, leaves some nice wet clumps around the glass.

Smell: Lots of yeast, fruit, blackberry, definite blueberry, mild earthy phenols, some sourness almost like a lambic or a Flanders red with the sour cherries aroma, a healthy dose of pepper spice, and some vinous qualities. Balanced and extremely complex. Sweeter and more delicate flavors also start to surface as it warms.

Taste: Vinous characters are apparent initially, some dark fruit malt notes, apple and blueberry are coming through, sugar cookies, mild medicinal phenols, mild chocolate, caramel, and the faintest amount of curbing hops at the finish, which is balanced and sweet with the apple, blueberry, and sweet peppery spice dominating, until the tingue of hops at the end, all of it providing a very long and lingering finish. There's so much more in this too that I'm sure I'm not picking up on. Exeptional.

Mouthfeel: Ultimately creamy, smooth, and silky, with a fairly full body that doesn't seem cloying to me at all.

Drinkability: Absolutely wonderful stuff, and it makes me love the style even more, as I can't get enough. It never ceases to amaze me how nuanced some of these brews in the style are, and this is surely one of them without a doubt. Looks like I'll be getting as much from the brewery as I can to see if any can match this. I've seen them, but I was always hesitant for some reason to pick up more. Things are gonna change now. (1,740 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +20.5%

Poured a 330 ml into a lightly chilled mug.

A: Pours a beautiful deep ruby red that doesn't let much light. Head is fluffy at first, light tan.

S: Sweet with a nice aroma of candy sugar along with a berry fruit smell. Very malty aroma with just a hint of clove.

T: Quite a surprise. Rich malty flavor upfront, complements by complex fruity flavors. A refreshing blend of cherry and light chocolate taste finishing with a with a nice toffee flavor. This was a real treat.

M: Medium-bodied and smooth from start to finish. It rested nicely in my mouth and every sip was a joy waiting to happen. Limited bite on the backside with not lingering sour aftertaste.

D: I expected a beer more like the strong pale ale from the same brewery that I have grown to enjoy. I was surprised by a beer that blew by my expectation and became an instant favorite

Overall: I need to sample this beer again…and again…and again. (916 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

Ah, McChouffe. One of my first Belgians I ever had, and it still holds up. Pours a murky brown with a strong head. Smell is very sweet; sugar and malt mainly. Drinking this beer is like drinking subdued caramelized brown sugar. A very satisfying brew. Absolutely outstanding! (275 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +19.2%

Fresh from the tap.

I've stopped writing redundant reviews based on different serving styles except for when there's a marked difference between them. McChouffe in a bottle is good. On tap, it's bonkers.

Dark chocolate brown. Pours an awful lot like Bernardus, actually. Nice beige head, thick and hazy.

Smells of biscuits, light alcohol, milk chocolate, Chips a'Hoy, smooth silk malts. Just a perfect strength, perfect balance blend of what a Belgian dark is supposed to be. Nails it.

Tastes damn close to as a good as it smells. Sort of a very pleasant mix between a Belgian Brown and a BSD. Fruit nodes are more apparent but overwhelmed by the sweet grain and chocolate complexities of the aroma, all backed up by a little kiss of alcoholic burn. (755 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +18.7%

This is a great Belgian interpetation of the style. Beautiful reddish brown. Woody hop charater with rasinious/dried fruit flavor. Malty sweet having a great character that will improve with age. (195 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +17.9%

Pours a dark brown color with a medium head that drops fast and leaves some lacing on the glass. The aroma is of caramel and spices from the yeast as well as some dark fruits. Nice. The flavor is nice and spicy with a fruity character that I really enjoy. Lots of malts and caramel. Very nice body and easy to drink. Solid. (323 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +17.4%

Poured from a 75cl bottle into a tulip.

A - Big head, very dark colour. Excellent lacing.

S - Sweet dark malts and hops. Lots of sugar-candy aromas and plenty of spices. Bit of earthiness and scotch as well.

T - Very smooth and refreshing. Spiciness coupled with the sugary-smoothness creates a fantastic taste. Possibly better than the standard La Chouffe..

M - Enough carbonation to keep your mouth alive but subtle enough to pass unnoticed to the uninitiated.

D - Delightful. Could drink all day. And I thought the other one was good..!

This is the first time I've tried a second beer from the Chouffe stable (after sampling La Chouffe on countless occasions). Happy to say this did not disappoint and will look forward to (hopefully) sampling on tap when I'm in Belgium later this month. (798 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +16.4%

Delicious brew, as with most A'Chouffe brews. McChouffe is the one I am most partial to, as I prefer a darker beer on average. Great mouthfeel, nice head on it when poured into a tulip. The nose is very rich.

Need to track more down, hard to find in Western Pennsylvania. (272 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%

I am a lil tipsy whilst writing this review; I had the 75cl of 8.5 ABV Mc Chouffe with only a
small slice of cheese and no water in 20-30 mins. However, I have to confess that I kinda like
this kinda tipsy feeling. The Mc Chouffe is good... yes better than a number of the Belgian
Dark Ales in fact and may well be in my top 10 list; that I will think over when I am more sober.
When I opened this bottle of Mc Chouffe I was plain disappointed due to the slightly dirty cap
with rusted inner edges; note that it was well ahead of its freshness date which is in 2009 April.
I did not want to expect too much. I served this Strong Dark Ale in my Watou St Bernardus Glass
and the La Chouffe pours out almost all black with a nice thick head with good retention. Besides
the bubbly looking foamy head, it was quite a looker. The smell was not as promising with the head
around as it was predominantly yeast. Without too much head the smell was fruity (plums and/or
raisins) and malty with maple sweetness. The taste was pretty focus on the dark malts and maple
sweetness along with a sufficiently strong (though could have been stronger) fruitiness. I just
love the way the maltiness, maple sweetness and fruitiness as well as the strength of the beer
blended together to form a fantastic tasting experience. The entry of the taste was malty and
sweet (dark sweetness) and the finish was soothing. I have to admit that if the fruitiness was
more pronounced it would have been a 10 for sure. The aftertaste was plums and raisins and after
lingering on for some time, becomes grapes. some malt and maple sweetness present too; very nice.
I had a small piece of Philly cheese to go with it in the middle and the malts and maple sweetness
stand up really well with the cheese. The first sip was not as promising but the more I drank it
the more it tastes better and the more tipsy I get. The mouthfeel was another greatness; apt
level of carbonation topped with a nice medium to full body thickness and light creaminess and
very slight stickiness yet not detracting the extreme smoothness in the mouth and down the throat;
almost perfect. I am close to giving this a 10 and I wonder if the bad bottling and slightly rusted
cap inadvertently make things better? I will never know till I try another of this 75 bomber. It's
a Saturday night; some work up my sleeve but I think I am a lil tipsy to be doing work; yes too
good for me to sip on it over an hour with food and water. Signing off here... (still pretty tipsy) (2,540 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a beautiful big head that falls into a small persestant head and leaves a strong lacing in it's path. The color is dark and burgandy-purple, very hard to see through. Smell is sour with dark fruit tones. You can smell the Belgian very nicely. The taste is not overpowering, it's delightful. It feels like silk in my mouth and leaves a wonderful aftertaste. I really enjoyed this beer. (390 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

nummy...nummy.nummmy. One of my belgian favorites. Nice fruity, smoky flavor, with no hint at the alcohol content. Beautiful to to look at and even better to drink.... (167 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Mmmm, mmmm, good. Nice brown color with hints of a deep red when held to the light. Smells a little malty but the taste! Ah! The taste! The taste! Excellent, to be exact. Slightly sweet at the start and then finishes with a nice hoppy note. And really, is it possible to go wrong with a beer championing gnomes on the bottle? Certainly not! (340 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +15.7%

Presentation: It was poured from a green 1pt 9.4oz bottle into a tulip glass. The abv is listed at 8.0% on the label and the freshness date reads "BEST BEFORE END 2011". The label also has a description of the beer its ingredients and the brewery.

Appearance: It is cloudy and dark brown in color. Through the murky body lots of visible carbonation can be seen rising up to the thick tan head above. This thick tan head has a dusting of darker brown yeast that looks like it was sprinkled with cinnamon. The retention is excellent and it leaves lots of cool lace rings and patterns.

Smell: The aroma is very big and pleasant. It has wonderful sweet bready a fruity maltiness with sour, funky and earthy yeast.

Taste/Palate: It has a deep rich malty character with notes of rich sweet breads, some dark sweet fruits, and sour cherries. It also has a defiant Belgian yeast influence as well, with some funky, dusty, earthy notes. (All in good balance) Also in good balance are the hop notes which are kind earthy and floral. They bring a good balance of hop bitterness to the finish which is a prefect mix of all complexity. The palate has a smooth firmness with a very lively and active yet gentle carbonation.

Notes: Outstanding!!! (IMO) I love the balance, the complexity and the feel. (1,291 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +15.7%

Funny looking Belgian 750ml dark green champagne bottle

A- Huge head with a stunning pattern of bubbles and lacing in my tulip glass. Hazy, translucent, dark-brown-chocolate/purple-grape-colored body. I can't see through this beer

S- This beer is exactly what was promised. Funky Belgian yeast smells and extra-pale pilsner malt smells with a slight scent of oxidation.

T- Sweet, chocolate/raisin/caramel body tastes like a Chunky candy bar but more alcoholic. Good flavors from the smell cover the nasty oxidation flavor. Becomes more nutty as it warms making it taste even more like a Chunky candy bar. The more time I spend with this beer, the more I love it. The fresh, Noble hops deceive the tongue when cold, but once the beer warms up a bit, it's true, sweet, nutty, complex character becomes apparent. This beer deserves a 5. When drinking with the yeast sediment I noticed a tangy, almost sour, fruity flavor.

M- Great medium, chewy body with a bit too much harsh carbonation

D- Quite drinkable but would be much better with improved carbonation (1,059 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A 330ml bottle dated best before September 2016 poured into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: It poured a medium to dark brown with a slight reddish tint. One finger creamy tanned head with nice looking bubbles that dissipated slowly leaving nice stringy lacing.

Aroma: Main aromas of dark fruits of fig and raisins along with some pear and grapes. As it warms, the grape smell became really prominent.

Taste: Strong tastes of dark candied fruits, plum, fig, grapes and raisins with hints of caramel and brown sugar.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium to high carbonation.

Overall: Overall, this was very good. Both the smell and flavours actually improve as it gets warmer. It is not too sweet and I especially enjoyed the dark fruit flavours. This is so close to being a must buy beer for me. (796 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +14.9%

A belgian rendition of a scottish style heavy ale??? Sounds like heaven. And you know what? It's durn close!
An excellent caramel and chocolate malt hits you first off, with an ending of some good alcohol burn. You can feel the 8.5% alcohol that has me buzzing pretty good right now. The pour gives the mountainous head of most belgian brews, along with the brown colour with the copper edges that suit the heavy scots style. Mouthfeel is pretty peppery with the alcohol and the energetic carbonation. It's drinkable, although after one 750mL (26 oz) bottle, I'm pretty good. The original flavour is what really draws me, and the finish does remind you that you're drawing the strong Belgian brew.
Two thumbs way up! (in the words of the inimitable mainstream critic Roger Ebert) (791 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This pours a rich mahogany brown color with an immense two-finger light tan head that form crevices and peaks. The head stays for the entirety and clings in a thick dense wall all over the glass.
The aromas are spices, fruits, and even a little sweetness. The flavor is has a distinct spiciness that cuts across the pallet in crisp, slightly bitter fashion. Slight caramel hints present themselves throughout, and a peppery, alcohol feeling is left in the back of the throat. As far as mouthfeel is concerned, I couldn't be happier. Perfect carbonation and medium body that has a coating effect on the tongue that I found surprising in Belgian brewed ale. Great ale, with great drinkability and I hope to get some more ASAP.... (728 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Brown (mahogany to a light source) with a nice tan head and nice active carbonation up the middle. Spicy phenols, dark fruit (raisin, prune) malt aromas and flavors. Nice robust maltiness with a touch of alcohol. All around nice balance; not overly sweet. Medium-full bodied with a touch of airiness due to high carbonation levels.

Per Label: "Pilsner malts" & "English Golding and Saaz hops" & "Scottish Ale/Abbey Ale"

Per BD'A website: 16P
Hops: Styrie and Saaz

Best Before: End '08
Tasted: 06/10/07

($7.99 / 25.4 oz. / 75 cl tall green lithographed champagne style bottle - capped) (588 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +14.9%

Immediate taste of dark crystal malts, toasted malts, and Belgian yeast phenols. What a great combination -- the spices and cloves of a good Belgian yeast like the Chouffe strain go so well with the lightly-kilned aromatics of a Scottish ale. This beer is light on the hops, which are floral and mild, and heavy on the light and sweet caramel flavor that comes from dark caramelized sucrose. Like a good wee heavy, you are simultaneously overwhelmed by malty sweetness and looking forward to your next sip. The dark caramel malts and caramelized sugar are nearly indistinguishable, with flavors of toffee, rum, and raisins. The aromatic malts and yeast give cloves, dark spices, and a nice earthiness coming from either yeast or dry-kilned malts. The body is on the lighter side of medium due to always-appreciated sugar additions, and the color is dark and rich without being black or opaque. The head is fluffy and dense like frosting on a desert. It's the contradiction between intense flavors, sweetness, and the surprisingly light (but not dry) finish that makes the beer so damn drinkable. The phenolics will send your mind into fantasy land, and the balance will send the beer to your belly. (1,198 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours a NICE clear mahogany brown.

Smells of apples and iced tea, and a bit of malt. There is also an alcohol solvent smell to it and more complex smells riding on it like oak and spice.

Tastes mildly sweet with a very complex mix of flavors. There is a solid maltiness to this and a peanut brittle flavor. The taste is hard to pin down it keeps changing. This is one of those beers that keeps delivering new tastes. It has a DISTINCT caramel and nuts flavor.

Mouthfeel is very good.

VERY drinkable, to bad it is expensive. (535 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance: dark red/amber color, a nice full rocky, tan head--lively and effervescent. Good head retention and a resilient lace. Aroma: spicy, cloves, and alcohol. The taste is complex: creamy and somewhat sweet, but not overpowering. The taste seems to change and develop more character in the middle and toward the finish. Very drinkable beer. (346 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last