1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

McChouffe - Brasserie d'Achouffe

McChouffeMcChouffe

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

ABV varies from time to time.

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of McChouffe Alström Bros

TectonicFun, Sep 22, 2012

I love hobbits! One thing that I am going to like about this project is learning more about the beers before drinking them. That won’t affect the way I write on the beers, as I am writing based on the nose and the flavor. But it’s cool to learn more about the beers, the brewery, etc. before trying them. Like this beer… the hobbit on the bottle, well that’s a Chouffe. I had no idea, but now it makes so much sense. Anyway, let’s drink.

The beer smells like any other brown ale. Not much going on really. But the smell does help with the first sip. It’s initially smooth, and best served chilled. It slides across the palate and settles on the back of your tongue. The aftertaste sticks around though.

The beer is a Belgian strong ale… and I must admit, I expected more. The bottle is HUGE, comfortable to a wine bottle. So when I spend this much money on a bottle of beer, I expected more. The head on the beer is thick, which makes me think there will be a creamy mouth feel… there’s not.

Now, I’m not saying this beer is bad… but to come all this way from the Belgium and just be this good, I am hurt! Come on beer guys, you can do better than that. I would buy a bottle of this again, but it would have to either be on sale or the liquor store would have to be out of everything else! I like the story of the hobbit… but sadly, that is more exciting than what lay in the glass. Bottoms up… if you can stomach it.

rickyleepotts, May 23, 2011
2.15/5  rDev -46%

A - A medium head a top a very cloudy garnet brew. No lacing.

S - Cranberries, cigarettes, currants and cherries. Ugh.

T - Slightly malty wiht a bit of fruit: cherries, currants and cigarettes. Well the last one isn't really a fruit. It is a subtle flavor, but it is a crappy one. Aftertaste is slightly malty with a bit of cigarettes.

M - A little hars, medium bodied, a tad frothy and not very refreshing.

D - It tastes like fricking cigarettes! Come on!! This is just absurd. I guess I see why they have the Scottish element. If you coat anything with cigarettes it suddenly earns the qualifier of "Scottish." Ridiculous. Did I mention that I hate cigarettes?

mrasskicktastic, Mar 27, 2007
2.25/5  rDev -43.5%

pensinck, Oct 05, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -37.2%

Swift989, Jun 24, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not offensive, but utterly devoid of character. A hint of sweet malts to taste and the slightest whiff of alcohol in the nose, but after that, almost a non-beer. Packs a bit of a punch with a high alcohol content, so good for a quiet buzz I suppose, but not something you would drink to savour in any way. Good to wash down a sandwich I guess. Certainly not like anything I'm reading about below ...

TerryW, Dec 24, 2007
2.65/5  rDev -33.4%

Pours a deep hazy brown with a nice foamy head. Aroma is a little odd, not quite what I was expecting. It definitely smells Belgian, but I'm detecting some strange aromas of buttery fruit that I wasn't expecting. It's almost like someone took an overripe banana and sauteed it in butter. As much as I like bananas Foster, it isn't what I'm really looking for in a beer. It isn't unpleasant, but it's odd and I don't think it's right. I get the feeling this isn't what this beer is supposed to smell like.

Taste...well, I don't know what to say. I actually gagged on my first sip. I don't think that's ever happened before. It came across far too sweet, and overly buttery. I'm thinking diacetyl, but I dunno. I got over the funky flavor, and proceeded to finish the glass. Ignoring the bananas Foster, it displays a pretty pleasant malty flavor, a grainy caramelness that matches nicely with the super-esters which are hammering my palate. I can see what the brewmaster is going for, but something is just off about this bottle. I love estery Belgian beers, but this one just has some funk that seems horribly misplaced.

Mouthfeel is actually quite nice, thick and almost meaty but not too chewy. I like it. As far as drinkability, well, after I got past the initial shock of the off-flavor, I think I can finish this. But I get the feeling I may have grabbed the wrong bottle. I don't know what could have caused this, but I really like all the other Chouffe beers, so I am prepared to call this one an anomaly and try it again...but for now I can only judge it on what I have in front of me. Not so great.

ryanismean, Dec 08, 2007
2.75/5  rDev -30.9%

Anatole, Aug 04, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -30.9%

Walkerjgt, Jul 03, 2014
2.85/5  rDev -28.4%

I was really looking forward to drinking this bottle, my wife and I had just finished putting up and decorating our Christmas tree, without shouting, or any stamping of feet etc.

We knew what was waiting, once we has sorted out how the tree should look (silver and blue, are the colours this year, I am told, gold and red were once in vogue, but not this year, OK!).

Best by, drink by date, on the .75 litre green bottle said 04/05/2009. I think we should have left it a year or two ( I wonder what colour coding will be the 'in thing' for christmas trees in 2008), because this beer left me and the wife sadly, unimpressed.

A dull aubergine body with an equally dull, dark, off-white head. I poured the beer into two Duvel glasses, one with no sediment, the second, got the lot. Obviously in the second glass the beer was darker and had a more earthy aroma and taste, but only just.

The aroma from both glasses was very poor, even as the beer warmed up. A slight malty, hoppy wiff arrived later, caramel maybe, but only the second glass with sediment in really had something to write about.

The taste was as the aroma, not flavourless, but I struggled to find anything that stood out, or made the beer noteworthy.

No body at all for an 8% brown beer.

I am sure I have had this beer before, when in Brussels, years ago, and enjoyed it, sadly, this review doesn't reflect that memory, only what I had tonight.

BlackHaddock, Dec 16, 2006
2.95/5  rDev -25.9%

Picked up at Spirits Unlimited in Red Bank NJ.
Appearance - Dark brown, murky beer with a very large head that sticks around for a while. Speaking of sticking, there's some pretty good lacing.
Unfortunately this beer kinda goes down hill from hear.
Aroma - Sweet and plum-like full of candi sugars and malts.
Taste - Bitter-sweet with lots of residual sweetness, almost cloying in the finish. Some fruit tastes like raisins and bananas and too much clove.
Mouthfeel - Not a bad mouthfeel, I mean there is plenty of body.
Drinkability - Too much sweetness for my liking. I would have liked to have had this in a 12 oz instead of a big 1 pint 9.4 oz bottle. Didn't even finish it, and needless to say I probably won't pick another one of these up again.

Chadbrew, Jun 27, 2005

Lanstrum, Sep 28, 2013

brinch, Apr 11, 2012

RD1163, Apr 06, 2013

desint, May 24, 2013

Mashedbrotatoes, Nov 26, 2011

Ruby brown with a tan head that leaves a nice lace that sparkles in the light. Definitely pretty. Smells somewhat of bready light malt and yeast, but overwhelmingly of metal. Smells like I'm biting into a cheap restaurant fork. In the taste teh metal continues to dominate and makes this beer not terribly drinkable. I did finish my first, small glass but declined a second pour.

texashammer, Oct 08, 2005

Brewer: Brasserie d'Achouffe
Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale
Glass: Chalice

Presentation:
Big fan of the little gnome on the large orange bottle cap.

Appearance:
Dense head the color of cappuccino foam atop a deep, brown body.

Aroma:
Phenols and earth tones. It also has an odd bubble gum and sangria-reminiscent twinge.

Taste:
Peppery, and a bit phenolic with some hum-drum maltiness.

Mouthfeel:
Wet and thin... like an eel. Nice image, right?

Harmony:
I was quite disappointed with the taste/mouthfeel combo.

Would I get it again?:
No. I have the orange bottle cap and that's all I need out of this.

Served: Aug. 2010

BeerNemesis, Aug 22, 2010

GRUUMSH, Oct 27, 2013

jophish17, Dec 14, 2011
3.03/5  rDev -23.9%

Poured this 750 mL green bottle into a LaChouffe glass. Dated best by the end of 2009. The body was very deep red-amber and murky. The head was tan and small despite my vigorous pour.

Smell was of dark raisin bread. Spices.

Taste was vineous. Malty. There was a little alcohol sizzle.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied. Not enough carbonation which is surprising considering this is a bottle conditioned beer.

Cresant, Feb 19, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -23.9%

Brownish amber colored beer with a slowly fading head.Aoma is fruity and spicy.Taste is dark fruits,spices and scotch.Very bland and unimpressive.There is an alcoholic warmth at the end of each drink.Overall something that was nice to try once but something I ever doubt I would buy again.

matty, Sep 22, 2009