McChouffe - Brasserie d'Achouffe

McChouffeMcChouffe

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

ABV varies from time to time.

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of McChouffe Alström Bros
blakesell

3.85/5  rDev -3%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Belgian chalice.

Appearance- Beer pours a dark brown with reddish highlights when held to the light. Has a finger high head of foam that quickly dissapates to a swampy sludge patch with carbonation rising from the bottom. Lacing is glued to the sides of the glass.

Smell- Plum, grape and brown sugar come to the nose first thing, Chouffe yeasty esters that I am beginning to recognise at this point. Brown malts, rasin, a little bit of fig, and rose water.

Taste- Yeasty and alcoholic phenols become present a bit but it doesn't really detract from the taste. Much like the smell it has a nice brown malt/brown sugar flavor with the plum, rasin and fig. A bit of a burnt character that seems a bit different and that rose petal/rose water is pretty well present in the beer as well.

Mouthfeel- Medium thin bodied with a yeasty creamy mouthfeel. Highly carbonated with an acid bite.

Drinkability- While drinking this I found it hard on the 'drink a lot of this beer' scale. Many Belgians are like this but this one was a little high on the yeast content making it that much more difficult. 8.0% ABV also makes this one pretty hard to session.

02-17-2008 02:00:24 | More by blakesell
zeff80

Missouri

3.9/5  rDev -1.8%

Reviewed from notes from 2/2.

A - Poured out a dark brown/burgandy with a very bubbly, tan, two-finger head. It left small trails of lacing.

S - It smelled of plum, cherries and roasted malt.

T - It tasted of raisin and dried cherries. It had a subtle roasted maltiness.

M - It was smooth and soft on the throat. It was a very heavy-bodied beer.

D - This tastes great, but it was alot to drink in one sitting. Next time I should share it with a fellow BA.

02-17-2008 01:57:31 | More by zeff80
dsa7783

4.1/5  rDev +3.3%

750 ML green belgian bottle purchased from Gary's in Madison... Pours a dark-brown and slightly purple hue with minimal head that left distinct lacing... smell was replete with currants, raisins, caramel, and dark brown sugars... slight alcoholic aroma is also noticeable...This artisinal Belgian brewery produces some pretty fine quality beers, and this one certainly fits the bill, complete with quality, character, and substance... taste is very complex and intricate, with a nice combination of figs, prunes, raisins, and noticeable malts and caramel... dehydrated fruits are also noticeable, and the malt factor really pours through... mouthfeel wasn't as rich or thick as some other samples from Brasserie d'Achouffe, but this one was still satisfying, with an extremely easy drinkability despite the 8% ABV which is more detectable in the nose than in the mouth... good stuff and an interesting depiction of the style... Recommended...

02-14-2008 23:41:36 | More by dsa7783
Foxman

It pours a typically hazy and muddled hot chocolate brown. Two fingers of puffy uniform light tan head sustain valiantly. Lacing is varied and ubiquitous.

The aroma is a relatively light but notable mélange of bready toasted malt, brown sugar, dark cherry, cocoa, along with clove and coriander. Alcohol is warm and plentiful.

Upon sipping, the malt is sweet and earthy, with brown sugar again, milk chocolate, dark dried fruit, and caramel. The sweetness is crisped by dry citrus, and a strident spice pairing of clove and coriander. Alcohol spikes through the middle, very warm to the palate. The malt and yeast twist about near the close with a bit of biscuit and a bready undercurrent. The finish is spicy crisp and dry, with a lulling tone of bitterness. It's not especially subtle or clever, but it's an enjoyable enough concoction.

It's actually full bodied, but the carbonation pumps a lightening effect through that moves things along nicely.

I'm not sure exactly what the "Mc" denotes, and I'll admit, I'm not inspired to do the homework to find out. I don't like it as much as La Chouffe, though I wouldn't kick this one off the bar either. The ABV is not as big as its announced presence might lead one to believe, but it's certainly worth of note. So this may not be the first Brasserie d'Achouffe offering I'll reach for, but failing other options, I'd not be too disappointed.

02-12-2008 23:24:37 | More by Foxman
Gmann

4.13/5  rDev +4%

Out of a 750ml capped bottle. Pours a mud puddle brown color with an average cream colored head that left a sparse cap. The smell is of bready malt, some typical Belgian spice/yeast aroma. Has a slightly dark fruit scent as well. The taste starts off with an earthy Beligan yeast flavor, there is a hint of candi sugar sweetness, not much of a fruity flavor as there is a woody flavor. Rounds out nicely with a slighty bitter end. The feel is moderate with tingly carbonation and finishes well balanced. This doesn't feel like a big beer at all, quite sessionable. The taste doesn't blow me away but it sure does drink easy.

02-11-2008 05:14:46 | More by Gmann
jjayjaye

You can see through the clear mahogany colored darkness. A gentle pour yields a huge fizzy light tan head that resists fading and settles to surface leaving a spotty lacing pattern. The smell has that earthy Belgian yeast with brown sugar, graham cracker and a little caramel. Nicely carbonated, the mouth feel is light and effervescent. The taste is interesting as well. I like the association to a Scottish Abbey Ale. The flavors are similar to the aroma. There is a light after taste, almost like a cola, with the spicy note of a Scotch Style that lingers nicely. I'm already seeing signs of wide interpretation with this style. A decent drinker; the 8% ABV is warming. Cheers!

02-10-2008 19:07:28 | More by jjayjaye
steelcutoats

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

I bought my taster of Mc Chouffe at my favorite neighborhood speakeasy, The Headkeeper, in downtown Greensburg. I had already sampled the wonderful La Chouffe, and was eagerly awaiting my second sampling from the Brasserie d'Achouffe.

I grabbed my trusty snifter and popped the top. The pour was smooth and left a nice creamy head which shortly thereafter dissipated. There was no lasting lacing on the inside of the glass, but I'm pretty sure that was due to the fact that the glass had just been washed. The smell was reminiscent of a Flemish sour brown ale, but not over powering. The taste was a bit sweet, and not as sour as I thought it would be. This beer is very well balanced.

Like all of the craft beers and imports that I've enjoyed in the past, this one is definitely a keeper. I'm going to buy a bottle of each and cellar them to see how they improve with age.

02-09-2008 04:36:34 | More by steelcutoats
MrHurmateeowish

New Hampshire

4.45/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750ml green bottle from The Lighthouse in Manchester. Pours a slightly hazy copper-brown with a good inch of light tan head. Smells fruity - grape, cherry, citrus - with hints of caramel, chocolate, and smoke. Tastes fruity also, with strong roasty chocolate and caramel, with hints of peatiness. Slight alcohol warming toward the finish, though it is less noticeable with the vigorous carbonation. On the lighter side of medium-bodied. Very very drinkable and extremely tasty. Nothing wrong with this one IMO. One of the best Belgian darks I've had in quite some time.

02-01-2008 00:37:59 | More by MrHurmateeowish
allergictomacros

Ontario (Canada)

4.08/5  rDev +2.8%

A - Pours out super dark with a decent crown of tan foam.

S - Big blast of grapes hit me as soon as I opened the bottle. Otherwise... more grapes, spice, roast and dark fruits. Smells sweet.

T/M - Buttery with a soft creamy mouthfeel. Flavours of coffee, wine, raisins, prunes, citrus rind, yeast. Surprisingly dry, but not bone-dry or anything. Some chalky flavours as well.

D - Very drinkable - pungently fruity without being heavy, well balanced and tasty.

01-16-2008 04:48:40 | More by allergictomacros
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.3/5  rDev -16.9%

330 ml from the Coop for about $4.50.. shared with Brenda.. mine poured into my Kasteel tulip while listening to the Cowboy Junkies.

Short lasting eggshell head atop a brown brew.. quite a bit of yeast slipped into the glass despite a careful pour... no real lacing and an adequate collar.

Aroma is very understated for the style... lite dried dark fruits and lite Belgian phenols... actually very clean, and I am not considering it a good trait... some caramel malts as it warms.

Flavor is again muted. Should not be classified as a BSDA .. just not enough going on. I am not completely bagging it... although, it reminds me of a big-boned American brown (sans hops) with a distinct Belgian touch. Some green apple and raisin fruitiness.. maybe a touch of coriander and nutmeg.. but over all the best thing I can think of, is this is a supremely drinkable brew. Lite for the ABV mouthfeel and perfect carbonation makes me want to have another drink.

I will only buy this brew again simply to see if this review was overly negative, or to share a "training-wheels Belgian" with micro noob.

01-04-2008 08:46:50 | More by JohnGalt1
Redteketed

Netherlands

4.22/5  rDev +6.3%

(31-12-2007 23:19 hour BB 07-10)

3/4 liter bottle. Good beer to say goodbye to 2007, lost my mom, hope 2008 brings more luck. "Proost, Mem!"

Ruby colored beer, huge rocky head quickly fades away.
Citrus, ripe fruit and malty noise. Very refreshing.
Sweet bitter, caramel and yeasty taste.
Alcohol warm strong/medium heavy body, fizzy and an alcohol warm, yeasty average aftertaste.

Very enjoyable beer.

I wish everyone a happy 2008!

12-31-2007 22:18:58 | More by Redteketed
1fastz28

4.38/5  rDev +10.3%

has an exceptional color, a beatiful ruby color without hardly any head, the smell is really good, citrus and yeasty wonderfullness. has a strong alcohol note to it, but the taste is awesome, i really enjoy it mouthfeel is full and good. the drinkability is very high, a good beer like this without a crazy price.. belgians might be the best thing ever.

12-31-2007 04:30:35 | More by 1fastz28
RblWthACoz

4.15/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a clear, but dark, ruby. Some tan head. Nose is slightly sweet with a fruit edge. Flavor is mild with a strong sweet tone that has hints of a slight spice and a barely noticeable alcohol tone on the end. Feel has a slightly thicker bubble on it. Easily drinkable.

12-30-2007 11:53:30 | More by RblWthACoz
TerryW

Ontario (Canada)

2.5/5  rDev -37%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not offensive, but utterly devoid of character. A hint of sweet malts to taste and the slightest whiff of alcohol in the nose, but after that, almost a non-beer. Packs a bit of a punch with a high alcohol content, so good for a quiet buzz I suppose, but not something you would drink to savour in any way. Good to wash down a sandwich I guess. Certainly not like anything I'm reading about below ...

12-24-2007 01:45:25 | More by TerryW
kirkmichel

Georgia

4.03/5  rDev +1.5%

The beer was served in a pint sized glass pitcher with a glass McChouffe chalice for me to pour my own into. It was on draught.

Looked very nice with very little head - just a bit of lace in the center. Beer itself was mostly clear but cloudy with a dark brownish-caramel color.

Smell was somewhat metallic with a bit of sweetness behind it like malted sugar (pretty smoky in the drinking establishment, so I am surprised I could smell anything over the cigar).

Taste was sharp - alcohol taste is somewhat high (true to a strong ale.) The flavor itself was slightly fragrant (floral) with carmelized sugar and malt on the finish.

This seems like a nice sipping beer for a cool fall day. I am not generally a fan, but I found this quite drinkable, if somewhat high in alcohol taste. Not heavy - all flavor. 4.20 overall.

12-23-2007 19:44:35 | More by kirkmichel
aquatonex

4.22/5  rDev +6.3%

Another very good Belgian strong dark ale that actually tastes like a scotch ale.

Pours dark mahogany with a good head with lacing. Dark fruits, malts, caramel, and alcohol are in the nose, which follows into well balanced flavors of sweetness (fruits and malts), spice (nutmeg and something?), and bitterness (hops and alcohol). Easy drinker for the style and ABV, highly recommended.

12-18-2007 02:58:37 | More by aquatonex
AKBelgianBeast

Alaska

4.05/5  rDev +2%

Just like irish stouts and belgian strongs, nothing is quite like a scotch ale from scotland. But one the closest is mcchouffe. technically its a belgian scotch style winter ale, but it is quite good. the scotch ale flavors come out but are a little hidden by hop flavors and excessive carbonation. sips a little abrasive as I think it is overcarbonated and feels watery for a scotch style, but it does have the warming effect of a wee heavy or a winter ale. This is good beer, but not quite accurate to its claimed style, but a good valiant attempt. worth buying

12-15-2007 03:07:28 | More by AKBelgianBeast
ryanismean

Missouri

2.65/5  rDev -33.2%

Pours a deep hazy brown with a nice foamy head. Aroma is a little odd, not quite what I was expecting. It definitely smells Belgian, but I'm detecting some strange aromas of buttery fruit that I wasn't expecting. It's almost like someone took an overripe banana and sauteed it in butter. As much as I like bananas Foster, it isn't what I'm really looking for in a beer. It isn't unpleasant, but it's odd and I don't think it's right. I get the feeling this isn't what this beer is supposed to smell like.

Taste...well, I don't know what to say. I actually gagged on my first sip. I don't think that's ever happened before. It came across far too sweet, and overly buttery. I'm thinking diacetyl, but I dunno. I got over the funky flavor, and proceeded to finish the glass. Ignoring the bananas Foster, it displays a pretty pleasant malty flavor, a grainy caramelness that matches nicely with the super-esters which are hammering my palate. I can see what the brewmaster is going for, but something is just off about this bottle. I love estery Belgian beers, but this one just has some funk that seems horribly misplaced.

Mouthfeel is actually quite nice, thick and almost meaty but not too chewy. I like it. As far as drinkability, well, after I got past the initial shock of the off-flavor, I think I can finish this. But I get the feeling I may have grabbed the wrong bottle. I don't know what could have caused this, but I really like all the other Chouffe beers, so I am prepared to call this one an anomaly and try it again...but for now I can only judge it on what I have in front of me. Not so great.

12-08-2007 04:13:13 | More by ryanismean
kundabuffer

Indiana

4.28/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Easily drinkable and mellow with an interesting malty taste. The nose is rather grainy and even "stinky." There's a subtle element of the taste that seems a bit out of place but this is somehow subsumed within the other flavors. It could use a bit more carbonation, I think. In any event it tastes unique and I'm enjoying it.

12-03-2007 05:44:52 | More by kundabuffer
Lupe

4.15/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a hazy brown with coppers hues when held up to the light. Dense frothy head quickly shrinks to a thin sheet, and leaves sticky lace all over the glass.

Aroma of fruit and wine - very sangria-like. Sweet malts and a hint of caramel. Very pleasant.

Starts with a slightly sourness and mild bitterness. This gives way to sweet malts - dark fruit, candy, and burnt caramel. Light yeast flavor and a hint of pepper. Alcohol peeks in adding a bit of Scotch flavor. Finishes spicy sweet - like ginger ale.

Light-medium in body, smooth and creamy. Good carbonation. Great drinkability, enjoyable, and a very interesting beer.

11-26-2007 01:50:25 | More by Lupe
thierrynantes

France

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

Beer bottle (33 and 75 cl.), tasted in 1999.

Appearance : brown color, veiled with yeast, with beautiful tan foamy head.
Smell : citrus and clove aromas.
Taste and mouthfeel : alcohol presence, dry sour at first, then final bitter-sweet.
Drinkability : good beer in the Belgian style strong dark ale

Review translated from french 5/7/9.

11-24-2007 21:17:01 | More by thierrynantes
tempest

3.6/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Well, it's uh, interesting. That's certain. There's strange spice combination in the taste that seems like someone weeded their garden and threw whatever they pulled into the brew kettle.

Ok, that sounds a little bad, but it tastes like dandelion or some similar plant was thrown in the pot. Spice aside, the malt follows that of a scotch ale with with sweet roasted caramel and chocolate. I can't tell if there's any smoked malt, but I wouldn't put it past this beer to have a little. Worth a try if you want an odd twist on the classic brown abbey ale.

11-23-2007 02:07:02 | More by tempest
SkeeterHawk

3.98/5  rDev +0.3%

I have had this beer for a good while in my fridge, and this seems like a good time to try it. I am actually drinking it from a McChouffe glass that I won in a raffle last spring, so what could be better? Here we go...

Appearance: The beer pours with a small head of tan bubbles that fell quickly back into the clear brownish-garnet color beer. After the head fell, there was a slow procession of bubbles heading for the surface that leaves a small island in the middle of the glass.

Aroma: My first impression of the aroma was that of spices mixed with some mild oxidative aromatics. As the beer starts to warm a bit, there are some more sweet caramel notes coming out along with the alcohol. As the beer warms further, the oxidative aromatics start to add more complexity with some sherry notes and some dried fruit.

Taste: The flavor is dominated by the malt with some sweet caramel being the major player. I get some spiciness in the flavor as well, but this (I believe) is as much from the alcohol as from any hops. There is a defined alcoholic warming that sets in on the back of the throat, and sticks with you for quite some time. The finish is balanced by the alcohol as much as anything, so there is some serious sweetness lingering on the back of the throat to coat it and slow the effects of the alcohol.

Opinion: This is a pretty good beer. It is what it is...a Belgian Scottish Ale. It definitely has a lot of Wee Heavy character, and thankfully has a lack of the floral Belgian yeast character that would ruin this presentation. I like the Scottish styles, so I would certainly try this beer again as it is in that realm.

10-28-2007 03:34:55 | More by SkeeterHawk
brantadid

3.05/5  rDev -23.2%

Poured a brownish ruby color. Quite dark. Very thin, white head diminishing very quickly.

Sweet, malty nose. Yeast is present but hardly overpowering. Some dark fruit in nose.

Pretty high carbonation. Nice fizzy quality to this beer. Very sweet toasted malts on the front palate followed by some chocolate and fig flavors. Warmed a bit to reveal a slight sour quality.

Very light mouthfeel. Not viscous at all. Rather thin, but nice.

10-23-2007 02:22:49 | More by brantadid
GatorBeerNerd

Georgia

4.18/5  rDev +5.3%

A:This one pours a very dark reddish brown with a decent amount of tan head that dissipated pretty quickly. There is quite a bit of lacing with this one.

S: This one has a very pleasant aroma with a fruity type smell.

T: After having its cousin LaChouffe in the past I was looking forward to this one. It definitely did not disappoint. I wouldn't call the flavor complex, it tastes the same from beginning to end. Good thing that the taste is that of a fantastic Belgian Ale. The score would be higher if the flavor was slightly stronger.

M: The viscosity of this one is almost perfect for my tastes. Its not too thick or too thin. There is also some carbonation in the mouth that adds to the mouthfeel of this one.

D: The relatively low carbonation after the pour and very slight warming effects of the alcohol in this one make it very drinkable.

I find it hard to believe I liked this more than LaChouffe. The lower carbonation and deeper flavor put this one even a step above it. I will be having this one again.

10-23-2007 01:55:40 | More by GatorBeerNerd