McChouffe - Brasserie d'Achouffe

McChouffeMcChouffe

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

ABV varies from time to time.

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of McChouffe Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev -6.3%

750ml
Binnys Orland

Best before 2009

McChouffe pours a crimson red with glowing ruby highlights when held to the light. This beer is surprisingly clear but it has been sitting in the fridge for awhile now so I'm sure the yeast has dropped. A one finger ecru head formed on a rather aggressive pour and faded to a skimming pretty quickly.

Interesting aromas come from this beer. Reminiscent of a scotch ale, of course I guess that's where the name came from. Big dark bread doughy malts along the lines of pumpernickle with that nice spiciness. It's hard to pull things out because the aroma isn't all that pronounced. After a quick swirl I do pick up a lactic quality of cream and a touch of peat. A little spicy yeastiness fades in and out in the background.

The flavor is more along the lines of a Belgian than the nose would suggest. Doughy malts are the base for this brew. On top of this dominant base I get hints of powdery and spicy yeast. Spicy warm alcohol and a hint of copper on the finish. The flavors just don't seem to be enough.

Medium bodied with an incredibly airy smooth feel on as it hits the tongue. Goes down smooth.

Good flavor although a little weak helps this one go down pretty easy.

This would be an excellent brew if the flavors were a little more bold. Mcchouffe is a hybrid Scotch/Abbey ale but the flavors are much weaker than what I'd expect from either of those styles.

joe1510, Sep 23, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +3%

McChouffe pours a clear light brown with a foamy head that doesn't linger. The aroma is slightly metallic caramel and roasted malts, not a lot of hops and some fruity, yeasty esters. The flavor is slightly sour and bitter up front, giving way to sweet dark fruity malt. There is some yeast flavor but its in the background. Creamy and smooth, there is a hint of alcohol flavor, but not too much, the beer is a smooth 8.5 %.

ericj551, Sep 14, 2007
3.88/5  rDev -2.5%

Murky brown with red hues and a 3/8 inch white to off-white froth. Aroma of rum, rasions, butter, toffee, wild yeast, sweet dark fruits. All present but all weak. This is not an in your face aroma beer. Flavor is equally restrained and mild but well balanced and not lacking in complexity. Sweet dark fruits and toffee dominate. Some candy and leather. Yeast is a very important factor. A little weak for my tastes but very drinkable and pleasurable. Light bodied. Not warming at all. No hint of an 8% abv.

$3 at Maduro in a McChouffe glass.

DaPeculierDane, Sep 05, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -2%

Green capped 750ml bottle poured into a Duvel tulip glass. Pours a dark and murky brown color with a light tan head. The aroma is malty with some dark fruit and a touch of spices. The taste is pretty complex with some dark fruits and a nice dry and spicy finish. Mouthfeel is light bodied and heavily carbonated. Overall, this is a tasty brew that is recommended.

cjgator3, Sep 03, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +20.6%

Poured a 330 ml into a lightly chilled mug.

A: Pours a beautiful deep ruby red that doesn't let much light. Head is fluffy at first, light tan.

S: Sweet with a nice aroma of candy sugar along with a berry fruit smell. Very malty aroma with just a hint of clove.

T: Quite a surprise. Rich malty flavor upfront, complements by complex fruity flavors. A refreshing blend of cherry and light chocolate taste finishing with a with a nice toffee flavor. This was a real treat.

M: Medium-bodied and smooth from start to finish. It rested nicely in my mouth and every sip was a joy waiting to happen. Limited bite on the backside with not lingering sour aftertaste.

D: I expected a beer more like the strong pale ale from the same brewery that I have grown to enjoy. I was surprised by a beer that blew by my expectation and became an instant favorite

Overall: I need to sample this beer again…and again…and again.

dnichols, Aug 30, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +16.8%

I am a lil tipsy whilst writing this review; I had the 75cl of 8.5 ABV Mc Chouffe with only a
small slice of cheese and no water in 20-30 mins. However, I have to confess that I kinda like
this kinda tipsy feeling. The Mc Chouffe is good... yes better than a number of the Belgian
Dark Ales in fact and may well be in my top 10 list; that I will think over when I am more sober.
When I opened this bottle of Mc Chouffe I was plain disappointed due to the slightly dirty cap
with rusted inner edges; note that it was well ahead of its freshness date which is in 2009 April.
I did not want to expect too much. I served this Strong Dark Ale in my Watou St Bernardus Glass
and the La Chouffe pours out almost all black with a nice thick head with good retention. Besides
the bubbly looking foamy head, it was quite a looker. The smell was not as promising with the head
around as it was predominantly yeast. Without too much head the smell was fruity (plums and/or
raisins) and malty with maple sweetness. The taste was pretty focus on the dark malts and maple
sweetness along with a sufficiently strong (though could have been stronger) fruitiness. I just
love the way the maltiness, maple sweetness and fruitiness as well as the strength of the beer
blended together to form a fantastic tasting experience. The entry of the taste was malty and
sweet (dark sweetness) and the finish was soothing. I have to admit that if the fruitiness was
more pronounced it would have been a 10 for sure. The aftertaste was plums and raisins and after
lingering on for some time, becomes grapes. some malt and maple sweetness present too; very nice.
I had a small piece of Philly cheese to go with it in the middle and the malts and maple sweetness
stand up really well with the cheese. The first sip was not as promising but the more I drank it
the more it tastes better and the more tipsy I get. The mouthfeel was another greatness; apt
level of carbonation topped with a nice medium to full body thickness and light creaminess and
very slight stickiness yet not detracting the extreme smoothness in the mouth and down the throat;
almost perfect. I am close to giving this a 10 and I wonder if the bad bottling and slightly rusted
cap inadvertently make things better? I will never know till I try another of this 75 bomber. It's
a Saturday night; some work up my sleeve but I think I am a lil tipsy to be doing work; yes too
good for me to sip on it over an hour with food and water. Signing off here... (still pretty tipsy)

basica, Aug 25, 2007
3.93/5  rDev -1.3%

On tap at Zeno’s in State College
A: Murky chestnut-brown with 1 cm foamy, light tan head that diminishes to a thin film rather quickly.
S: Very mild. Light yeast & roasted malt with hints of cherry and tobacco.
T: Sweet malts with light fruit. Prune & roasted chestnuts. Light caramel, citrus and yeast.
M: Medium body, moderate-low carbonation, lightly astringent.
D: Served way too cold, I think. Muted the aroma too much. But that’s no fault of the beer. Liked it once I let it sit for a while.

ski271, Jul 20, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -2%

Poured into La Chouffe tulip glass:

Pours cloudy light brown with a thin, lasting head. Some spots of lacing stick to glass.

The smell is of carmelized grain and some fresh-cut grass.

The taste is of caramel candy with a grainy backing. Coriander spiciness with brown sugar mix in. Finishes with a sweetened spicy kick.

The body is smooth and sweet.

Another nice brew from Beligium (though doesn't quite stand up to La Chouffe and other some other Belgians that come to mind - nice, but a tad too sweet, IMO.)

jwc215, Jun 30, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +6%

Had this on tap at Max's the other night.

The beer pours an orange brown color with very good head retention and good lacing. The nose is a bit backward initially, but one gets a hint of sweetness and Belgium spices. Smells quite enticing actually. On the palate this is a very nice beer indeed. I get some milk chocolate, citrus and a hint of cherry. There is also a bit of tartness, which keeps the sweetness at bay and keeps the beer from becoming tiring to drink The beer has a nice plush mouthfeel to it, and the abv. is well disguised. It comes across as quite drinkable, and frankly was too soon gone before I noticed it. A very nice offering Brasserie d'Achouffe.

John_M, Jun 11, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +4.3%

a sort of blondish - brown ale
slight sweet molasses and spice
noteable hop flavor
with earthen pepper bite

some slight fig favor
but nothing too sweet

a well balanced moderate
very easy too drink

sweet on the palatte
with a good carbonation

a nice drink with dinner
or aperitif situation

meadhead, Jun 07, 2007
3.7/5  rDev -7%

Appearance - Brown / Caramel in color with a light tan head. Head retention was poor. I got a good 1/2" of head during the pour, but it didn't stay for long.

Smell - Malty, spicey, some earth tones. Not overwhelming, very good balance and hid the alcohol.

Taste - Good. Roasted malts and some spice were blended well with some phenols that were hard to place. I got some yeast flavors once in a while, I think it was just a hint that was hard to place with all the other flavors that were present.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, heavy, thick. Served in a wineglass, this is a sippers beer.

Drinkability - Good. I really enjoyed this beer. At 11 bucks a bottle its a little pricey to drink often, but I wouldn't turn it down. I just wish it came in a regular sized bottle.

mizzoueng, Apr 28, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -8.8%

Bottle at the Mundelein beer tasting, pours dark caramel brown. Ratebeer says this is a Scotch Ale, which makes sense with the name, but doesn't really fit the beer.

Aroma was dark malt sweetness and some belgian yeast esters. Alcohol is perceptible. If this is a Scotch Ale (and I'm going to go with BA and say it's not), then it's the most belgian scotch ale in existence.

Tastes like it smells, heavy malts and esters. My friend said it's a lot like La Chouffe (which I didn't get to try), only darker.

The mouthfeel is heavy and chewy, pretty standard for the style (either one.)

As is typical for a BSDA (or a Wee Heavy for that matter), not super-drinkable owing to the ABV and the sweetness.

kajerm, Apr 09, 2007
2.15/5  rDev -46%

A - A medium head a top a very cloudy garnet brew. No lacing.

S - Cranberries, cigarettes, currants and cherries. Ugh.

T - Slightly malty wiht a bit of fruit: cherries, currants and cigarettes. Well the last one isn't really a fruit. It is a subtle flavor, but it is a crappy one. Aftertaste is slightly malty with a bit of cigarettes.

M - A little hars, medium bodied, a tad frothy and not very refreshing.

D - It tastes like fricking cigarettes! Come on!! This is just absurd. I guess I see why they have the Scottish element. If you coat anything with cigarettes it suddenly earns the qualifier of "Scottish." Ridiculous. Did I mention that I hate cigarettes?

mrasskicktastic, Mar 27, 2007
3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

A- deep, dark ruby/brown with a light tan head that quickly dissapates to a light film.

S- strongy yeasty smell with some slight fruit hints

T- rich, earthy flavor. Yeast is definitely noticable but not dominant. Finish is light, yet flavorful.

M- Medium body, smooth and with good carbonation.

D- extremely easy to drink. Alcohol is well hidden.

overall- Very solid belgian. Lacks the complexity of others (st.bernardus 12) but makes up for it with a nice clear flavor.

Gritsak, Mar 24, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

Appearance: Pours a milk chocolate brown with a light beige head and moderate lacing in my snifter glass.

Smell: Caramel, fig, dates, prune, some fig Newton bars, and a hint of chocolate invigorate the senses and induces tremendous anticipation through the aroma. This is a sniffing beer for sure. I could just burry my nose it.

Taste: Problem is it tastes so good go back and forth from sniffing to sipping sniffing sipping and the damn beer is gone =). It is smooth and malty with dark fruits, caramel, plum and spices cinnamon, citrus orange clove (particularly on the back end). It is thick and rich like drinking a pie. Magnificent. And the long lasting aftertaste keeps me wanting more!

Mouthfeel: Velvety smooth rich and lively in the mouth with lots of spices and little alcohol.

Drinkability: It is exceptionally quaffable! What a great drinking beer. I found the specific niche that is my wife's favorite beers. BSDAs work every time. This is a great one!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Mar 18, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

Was able to give this brew a try last evening as I absolutely enjoyed the N’Ice Chouffe during the holidays. Once again I was very impressed with the offering. Brew poured to a nice vibrant brown color with a perfect sized head that filled the tulip glass to its rim. The head had a cream color to it, maybe even hedging on tan with good retention and a nice amount of sheeting lace. The aroma’s where very enticing, molasses, brown sugar, nut’s and dark fruit to name as many as I can remember. The taste was similar to the aromas that where mentioned along with a nice hop taste that adds to the pallet. This is a very nice sipping brew, not due to the alcohol (8%), which is actually hard to notice, but due to the complexity of the flavors that where noticed. This was a great brew and one of the highlights of the evening.

Stimack, Feb 25, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

gotta love gifts of beer

appearance: Pours a 1" fluffy off-white head that gradually falls back. Great retention, with heavy ring and nice layer with a bottom fed "volcano" smack in the middle. Great retention, no lacing. The beer is a rich mahogany brown in color.

smell: At the front I find aged Euro hops, papery and spicy, alongside Pale malts and a subtle toffeelike aroma. I get aromas of a well-browned, crusty pie made with dark fruits and nuts...date and raisin maybe. Some subtle yeast esters and a touch of citrus. Light ethanol spice. Quite nice...simple and well balanced.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is high and lively, and the body has an airy medium feel to it.

taste: Pale Euro malts dominate, but with a lightly toasty, toffee sweetness that makes itself well known. Kinda reminds me of a dark Euro lager...but, you know, as a Belgian ale. Aged, papery Belgian hop flavor and a medium-light bitterness that lingers with a nutty note and a touch of alcohol in the finish. Medium-dry. Dark, crusty bread. Not a whole lot of complexity but definately well built. The "Mc" makes total sense now (never read the back of the bottle before, or inferred what was probably obvious), as there is a definate Scottish malt nuance to both the aroma and taste.

drinkability: Very easy...a nice, flavorful Belgian session beer, despite the 8% ABV. I probably would not go after this one again, but I'm glad to have tried it.

Not sure how well the classification fits, but it's a good beer regardless

blackie, Feb 18, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +5%

Pours brown of course, I think the best way to describe it is flat, diluted cola. Not that that’s a bad thing for this style.

It smells malty and sweet, there’s a nutty hint in there too. It’s very nice.

The taste is quite delicious, there's a delightful caramel sweetness to it. It has a smooth and medium body. I'm thrilled that it comes in a 750 mL bottle because I know I want more.

joeskirkie, Feb 12, 2007
3.8/5  rDev -4.5%

On tap @ CAH. Served in a goblet.

A: Dark brown. Thick, tan head fades to thin layer. Some lacing.

S: Sweet, nutty. A little light.

T: Sweet (maple, molasses), creamy, toasty, good mix. Little hop presence.

M: Light. Easy drinker. A little watery.

D: Excellent. Could have a few. Very smooth. Alcohol was non-present, which could sneak up on you if you have a few. A good beer from a great brewery.

roughsax, Feb 06, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +6.8%

A: This beautiful Belgian brown poured an extremely dark brown color with a thick frothy white head whith shades of coffee, about a inch head with nice lacing.

S: I smell sweetness, the first things that comes to mind are carmalized brown sugar, sweet molases and a little bit of chocolate. I also get slight notes of espresso and a fruity smell towards the end.

T: There is a very deep rich flavor in this brew. I taste sweet roasted malts. There is a sweet fruit flavor from cherries and also a bit of chocolate in the smooth finish.

M: This beer has a light to medium level of carbination that makes this brew easy to drink from start to finish.

D: This brew is made with elfin goodness, are these the same elves that work for keebler? A great beer and very smooth you don,t even notice the 8.5abv until you finish the 25oz. bottle. I liked this brew a lot. I would recommend this Belgian to try for yourself if you can pick it up.

hellsing3, Feb 06, 2007
3.23/5  rDev -18.8%

The brew appears a deep amber with a bubbly head that dissipates quickly but laces relatively well.

The aroma isn't pleasing to my nose, smeling of alcohol and bland nuts, mostly.

You can't really taste the alcohol, it's concealed by a complex mixture with fruits such as plum and cherry, with hints of caramel. However, nothing really stands out as delightful nor awful, but is a well balanced mixture despite the lack of highlights.

It generally tastes quite generic although very diferent than many of its dark ale brothers and is perhaps a tad over-carbonated, as well as watery.

rec, Feb 02, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a deep mahogany with a thick, light tan head that leaves a moderate amount of lacing down the tulip glass. The first whiff is almost metallic, but later, fruity notes of apple and fig dominate. Molasses and sweet pipe tobacco present as well.

The taste is both complex and well balanced, with subtle creamy malt and a raisiny plum and sour mash blend that lets you know the hops are in effect. Exceptional mouthfeel, semi-thick and bubbly up front and across the palate, leaves a slight hoppy aftertaste. Great carbonation. There's a lot going on in this beer to keep your tastebuds happy...definately recommended by this reviewer.

wagenvolks, Jan 28, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +10.1%

McChouffe:
A: Pours a beautiful deep ruby red tha doesn't let much light in with a hefty off white head, that leaves just enough lacing around the glass.

S:Very sweet smelling, some nice candy sugar scents along with a fruit smell, I'm thinking a bit of cherry, and a bit of plum. Also a bit of choclatey malt smell. A very pleasant smell, just not enough of it, if that makes sense.

T: Very interesting taste, not what I was expecting at all quite a suprise. Let's see a mix of a cherry and light white chocolate taste then finishes with a nice coffee and caramel esque flavor. I have to say this was quite the treat.

MF: One of my only complaints about this beer is that it does feel just a tad bit too watery, I'd expect a beer that was this deep in color and flavor would be more "meaty" for lack of better words, it's also got just a wee bit more carbonation than I'd expect from this. That being said these are minor flaws in an otherwise great beer.

D: Scary enough I really can't taste the alcohol all that much and it is at 8.5%, I know it's not technically a winter warmer, but this was perfect for a night that was literally freezing in southern california.

Overall I'm really liking this beer and will have to pick it up again. Brasserie d'Achouffe is quickly becoming one of my favorites, they seem to get it right, from the presentation of the bottles to the taste of their wonderful beer.

Cheers!

ChillMike, Jan 14, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -3.3%

From the 750ml bottle with no freshness date, decants into the pint glass a reddish brown, slightly hazy color with a bit of sediment in the pour, rather evenly distributed despite the bottle having sat upright for about two weeks in the beer fridge. Copious brown-tan head fades at a moderate pace leaving medium lace and a solid cap. Good looking beer here. Nose is a bit underwhelming, evincing minor malt and some dark fruit at best. Cold, warm, I was unable to coax anything else out; which is a disappointment. Taste is redeeming, however, with dark fruit and sweet malt up front, cherry/grape and a fairly moderate mild bitter finish. This is a pretty mellow beer. I had expected this to be classed as a dubbel, but it turns out a Belgian strong dark. Tomato, Tomahto, I suppose. Mouth is watery and semi-viscous, a bit thin to me. Drinkability is very good; it’s a mellow and pleasant, nay, cheerful beer.

Overall: A good, mellow, yet overall unremarkable Belgian brown.

jettjon, Jan 11, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a clear dark brown/ruby red with a giant tan foamy head. The head is huge and lasts forever leaving fantastic lacing. The smell is pungent with bready scents along with alcohol, sweet malt, candy sugar,and chocolate. The taste has aton of carbonation along with a "bisquity' flavor along with alcohol, alot of candy sugar and some dark fruit. The m/f is medium with all flavors mixing well. A damn good beer that should not be missed. You can't go wrong with this brewery.Cheers.

jmz62565, Jan 09, 2007