McChouffe - Brasserie d'Achouffe

McChouffeMcChouffe

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

ABV varies from time to time.

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 09-22-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of McChouffe Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

3.73/5  rDev -6.3%

This is an interesting year ... my wife is in northern France on a teaching exchange through the Fulbright program, allowing me to visit from the US during vacations. I picked up a small selection of beers and a couple of glasses that were suggested by the store owner of an excellent bottle shop in Tournai, Belgium. (See below for my description of the shop and how we found it.)

My wife pointed out Chouffe, as her eye was drawn to the gnome on the label. Unofficially, this is our "Year of the Gnome," so we picked up a Mc Choufee, a La Choufee, and a tulip glass (with gnome bending over) created by Brasserie d'Achouffe in Belgium. I served this along with foie gras and date jelly on toast.

Appearance: (5.0). The initial pour was perfect, with a fluffy brown head about to poke through the brim of the glass. A nice carmel/ mahogany brown color, which made the gnome bending over on my glass, look as if he was gardening in dark soil.

Smell (3.5). Light, earthy, smell with hints of brown sugar, and figs.

Taste (3.5). Hints of carmel and fruits poke through with a slight alcohol breath upon finishing.

Mouthfeel (4.0). Great carbination -- not too many bubbles, but a fun finish

Overall (4.0). A good beer. I'll buy more on my next trip.

*** Le Moine Austère ***
Just up the road from us in Beligum, is a wonderful bottle shop called the Austere Monk (I'll review it after BA adds it: Le Moine Austère, Rue Dorez 8, Tournai, Belgium) (a review: http://www.monnuage.fr/point-d-interet/le-moine-austere-a41282). My wife and kids found the shop while touring the Grand Place and visiting the Christmas village. The family was excited to bring me to the store and even sent a few photos of the wall of bottles.

As I looked at the selection, I instantly wished that I knew more about Belgium beers. I understand a little French and shopkeeper was willing to bring to me some of the local beers and the traditional favorites. (Side note: it is *very* helpful to have a wife that speaks and understands French!) She pointed out which beers were still made by monks (down to five, she said), and those breweries which tend to create craft beers. She loves to make gift baskets, filled with beers, glasses and other treats. I can't wait to return!

3.38/5  rDev -15.1%

Draft at the Pour House in Westmont, NJ.

Pours a dark chocolate brown color with a 1.5 finger beige head that slowly fades into a lastig ring.  Streaks of soapy lacing left behind.

Subtle roasted malt aroma with some zesty spice and dark fruit notes.  Slightly peppery with hints of chocolate, toast, caramel and nut.

Medium bodied with a nice balance of zesty spice, sweet malt and dark fruit.  Lots of peppery spice up front followed by sweet malt flavors, notably caramel and toffee before finishing with a prominent dark fruit presence.  Hints of plum, raisin, currant and other dark berries.  Subtle alcohol sweetness but not much heat.  Could use a stronger malt character to balance out swet fruits but still pretty good.

3.9/5  rDev -2%

Nice deep amber color capped by a small sized off white heads. Scent trends sweet with caramel, plum, balanced by light grass. Taste is also sweet, caramel, light plum and cherry. Wish the flavors were more pronounced but tasty no the less. Light bodied, yum.

McChouffe from Brasserie d'Achouffe