2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

La Chouffe - Brasserie d'Achouffe

La ChouffeLa Chouffe

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-24-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Chouffe Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,657 | Reviews: 803 | Show All Ratings:
mjc410

Vermont

1.88/5  rDev -55.2%

A too quick pour into my La Moneuse tulip lets a bit of chunky sediment into the glass (I usually forget to decant Belgians). The beer forms a slow-falling two-finger head, just off-white. The beer's body is a bright orange-gold, and visibly carbonated. The lacing is also quite dense. The nose is bright: full of green apples, grass, a bit of citrus, peach, sweet, and a bit peppery. But, there also seems to a green vegetable scent, like asparagus, that messes things up a bit (I like asparagus, just not in a beer). The taste is sweet and slightly alcoholic at first, but overshadowed by the asparagus flavor I noticed before. Ends fairly bitter. Terrible. Mouth is medium thick, and the carbonation is not as forward as I thought it would be. Still, this beer tastes horrible, so I must have a bad bottle, right? Nonetheless, I'll review and wait for another try.

10-12-2006 22:13:47 | More by mjc410
Moxley

2.53/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Opaque peach color with a head that settled quickly with nothing by Emilio Estevez left hanging on for dear life. Sketchy, watery lacing.

S - Faint malt aroma, not much to report in this category.

T - Spiced apple malt up front with floral undertones. Bitter sweet finish with a strong alcohol presence.

M&D - Highly carbonated, and a bit creamy.

A little disappointed in this one. I was expecting a more complex beer.

I'd like to give a shout out to BA reviewer 3080. I don't think anyone can top his/her review of this beer.

04-21-2008 22:56:52 | More by Moxley
tlazaroff

2.55/5  rDev -39.3%

A: Pours golden in color, as advertised, topped with a fluffy white head made of big bubbles. The beer is hazy, but you can still see carbonation bubbles.

S: First thing I get is the grainy smell I get from most pilsners. Background I get some tart fruit, and apricot and maybe light peach.

T: No tartness or sour flavors in the taste like the smell might suggest. I do get a big grainy taste which lingers a while after the finish. There is the presence of something that can't quite identify. Its like a funkiness of sorts, probably from the yeast.

M: Highly carbonated and medium bodied, with a dry finish.

D: I don't care for the drinkability of it, way too bubbly and the flavor isn't to my liking.

06-09-2011 23:22:40 | More by tlazaroff
Pleepleus

2.65/5  rDev -36.9%

Had this with fellow BA Moxley. Poured from a Petit bottle into a goblet, had apricot color and almost very little head that settled to nothing. The aroma was light and malty, but the taste was heavy spice up front with light malty flavor. It got better as it warmed and the sediment sips saved it from disapionting to acceptable, but still not something I would buy again. I wish I had BA member 3080's experience with this one, maybe we had a bad bottle.

05-03-2008 01:00:02 | More by Pleepleus
Indybeer

Indiana

2.68/5  rDev -36.2%

1Pt 9.4 oz bottle. Poured a hazy golden color, with a descent head that receded quickly, leaving some lacing on the glass. Aroma is of musty straw, citrus, and malt.Taste is earthy and musty. A very different taste for me. There is some sweetness in there, and a slightly bitter finish. You can feel the warmth from the alcohol. This is a little to earthy for me.

06-25-2003 19:33:11 | More by Indybeer
Naerhu

Japan

2.8/5  rDev -33.3%

Lable reads 87% malt. Is the remaining 13% beet sugar? Dont know.

A - A frightening amount of floaties in a hazy gold body.
S - Sweet malty aroma with a bit of peachy sourness
T - Very light flavor. The taste begins and ends with yeastyness. The little maltyness which was in the nose makes almost no showing on the palate. Washed out fruityness. Sweet flavors buy not a sweet beer.
M - Light bodied and yeasty mouthfeel.
D - Yet anouther sleepy Belgian pale, lacking in character.

01-02-2006 03:44:02 | More by Naerhu
goochpunch

2.8/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours out a brassy gold with a decent sized head that somewhat clings to the glass. No lacing to speak of. This smells overtly of coriander. The pale malts come through, but the spicing is a bit much. There's some booze in there as well. Taste has the same things going on as the aroma (especially with the over-spicing) along with an overbearing graininess and sweetness. There's some toastiness in the finish as well. Mouthfeel is rather sticky and prickly. Not impressive.

09-02-2007 23:33:22 | More by goochpunch
JohnnyChicago

2.93/5  rDev -30.2%

Poured from a 32oz growler into a wide-mouthed glass.

A: Dirty amber with a cluster of soapy off-white bubbles.

S: Weak, sugary water with some bubblegum and clove phenols that just plain don't smell that good.

T: Follows the smell. Tastes like the watered-down remains of what may have been a good beer. Rough phenols and harsh beerish water taste. Carbonation is abrasive.

D: Dumped the last few oz of my growler. This is off and I'm pretty dissappointed.

Overall: Not sure what was up witht this keg, but this was not a good beer. Tasted old, undercarbonated, underattenuated and maybe even infected. Lots of off-flavours and roughness. Not good.

Serving type: growler

01-26-2012 20:04:45 | More by JohnnyChicago
Cresant

Kentucky

2.95/5  rDev -29.8%

Poured this 750 mL into a La Chouffe glass (that I got with the gift-pack). The bottle and box said best by the end of 2009. This is a cellarable beer so I thought nothing of purchasing this pack. Additionally the two beers included were protected from the light by the box. After a hearty pour there was a modest head of soapy looking foam that left spindly lacing. The body was bright butterscotch with a slight haze.

Smell was fruit and faint Belgian yeast. Clean, wet stones. Not much else.

Taste was light tartness and mild malts. A little spiciness, coriander. Mildly sweet and creamy, leaving a sweet linger on the lips. Very little alcohol in the taste or aroma. This one was NOT champagne-like. Overall flavor did improve as it warmed (it was served around 50 degrees in the first place). I would like to try this one fresh because the aged one was a bit disappointing.

Mouthfeel was a bit dead in the mouth. Medium to light bodied.

02-11-2010 14:41:58 | More by Cresant
IchLiebeBier

Appearance: Deep gold; cloudy; big head

Aroma: Tart fruit; coriander

Taste: Dry aftertaste; herbal; hop resins in aftertaste

Remarks: Bought this during our first trip to Belgium. I think it was at a Carre Four just outside Bruges.

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

06-15-2013 15:21:44 | More by IchLiebeBier
Jemonster

3.03/5  rDev -27.9%

This was actually the first beer that I rated on BA right after I really got into craft beers. That said, my palate has changed and now I look for different characteristics in a beer. Long story short, I thought I would give this beer another shot since so many people apparently think that it actually is awesome and brewed by mushroom-hut dwelling gnomes in the Belgian forests. My original review follows the new one.

A: Clover honey colored and murky appearance with no discernible head. In a large red wine glass, I cannot look through the beer and detect my hand passing on the other side.

S: Faint but sweet scent, kind of like Christmastime with the spices. Nothing else really there for me.

T: Upfront sweetness and mulled cider-like spices. Slight bitterness lingers in the aftertaste. Kind of malty like malted milk. I would imagine this beer might benefit from the addition of citrus to create some action on the tongue, although I'm not the type to add anything to my beer because I like it to express itself. If this beer were to be drank socially on someone elses terms, I just might throw in some lemon.

M: Creamy and slightly heavy without much carbonation. Falls kind of flat on my tongue with nothing to pop out the flavors. This beer actually makes me thirsty.

D: I still can't really drink this beer. It is too sweet and flat, and I'm having trouble drinking it as I finish this review.

In conclusion, I wanted to like this beer but I just don't see what everyone else sees in it. It's like when cute girls go for that a--hole who's a wanna be bad boy and not even good looking. Maybe this beer is just not my style. I want it to have something it doesn't and I can't seem to enjoy it for what it is.

---
My original review:

A: This beer poured a golden/very light amber from its bottle into a stein. Semi long lasting head that coats the glass as the beer is consumed. The head is a silky looking off white; it has a mild sheen. The most remarkable characteristic about this beer is the heavy sediment in the bottom of the glass. I would call this interesting, but not a selling point for me, as I prefer my drinks smooth...
S: The smell is sweet and mildly fruity, I can't pick out any distinguishing scents that stand out. The smell seems well balanced as far as flavors go.
T: This beer is somewhat strong with a spicy beginning. It has a fruity sweetness and a strong hop bitterness right after the beginning. The aftertaste lingers for a while and remains bitter for the finish.
M: This beer has a malty texture that is more viscous than most beers I have tried. The sticky feel probably helps contribute to the bitterness at the end.
D: I don't think I could drink much of this if I tried and I had a hard time actually drinking a pint of this. It is heavy in a way, but not in a good way like a stout...and that lingering bitterness and sediment at the end just turns me off.

Overall, in my opinion, this beer is overrated. It's average to me. I wouldn't buy it again, especially for $10 for the 25oz bottle.

06-10-2010 01:23:15 | More by Jemonster
SolomonGrundy

3.03/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Alright. a quick review here....cloudy pale gold with some sediment. Nice head, light carbonation. Citrusy with some metallic notes in the aroma. Flavor is good - still a little metallic tasting, nice spice however. 8% ABV, and you can taste the alcohol to an extent. Maybe a bad bottle?? Kind of a typical blond and maybe not even that good. Disappointing.

08-06-2010 00:37:11 | More by SolomonGrundy
NJpadreFan

3.05/5  rDev -27.4%

La Chouffe

Purchased at Circle Liquors- Pennington, N.J.

Appearance- cloudy yellow with a thick thick head.
Smell- sweet lemon and spice.
Taste- clove and cinnimon. Too sweet and sugary.
Mouthfeel- smooth and watery. Just too sweet.

Overall- a mediocre Belgium Ale at best not worth the $9!! Too sweet!!

12-26-2005 23:18:28 | More by NJpadreFan
AgentZero

3.18/5  rDev -24.3%

A - Hazy golden color with a fairly large white head on it.

S - Bit of funk, floral and grassy notes. It's fairly spiced an belgiany yeast smelling.

T - Can't say I am a huge fan of this one. It's pretty dry, not bad in and of itself, with some phenol kick and a somewhat sourish grassy tasting belgiany type yeast flavor. There's definately fruit present, but it's just not quite sweet enough for this beer.

M - Lighter side of medium bodied, pretty carbonated.

D - Drank a decent amount of it, but couldn't finish the entire bottle. Unusual for me when I drink.

05-05-2010 01:45:52 | More by AgentZero
philipquarles

Connecticut

3.23/5  rDev -23.1%

On tap at the Cafe Pelikaan in Antwerp.

Pours a nice hazy gold with a fluffy snow-white head. Recedes gradually.

Smells of fruits (pears, a hint of banana?), sugar, and a bit of yeast.

Taste is decent, but a bit unbalanced. The sugary sweetness overpowers the slight hoppiness that is usually present in pale ales.

It felt good on the palate, but was just too sweet to make it really drinkable for me.

07-13-2008 18:00:04 | More by philipquarles
laituegonflable

Australia

3.25/5  rDev -22.6%

Coppery-amber appearance, slightly sparsely bubbled head, very good when poured but dissipating to a thin film now. Kind of cloudy, without actually being cloudy. At least not transparent. Nice lacing.

Strong, actually quite lagery nose. Quite hoppy with a kind of amber ale smell as well. Bit of yeast to boot, not very welcome, but slight. This is your night, beer.

Less lagery than the nose because of a slightly sour, cidery character which dominates. Quite a hoppy flavour on the finish. Bit simple on the palate though, there's those sour, slightly hoppy notes and that's most of it. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth, very nice and smooth in fact. Plus it's quite a nice, inoffensive sipping beer, but nothing that makes my loins breach and burst forth with essence.

03-26-2009 03:43:08 | More by laituegonflable
jujubeast6000

3.28/5  rDev -21.9%

Reviewed 7/10/2006 (bottle):

Huge head, white, good lacing, smallish bubbles, somewhat diminishing. Golden color, fizzy, pretty opaque. Very flowery aroma, alcoholy, like Allagash. Intense flower and spices aroma. Coriander, bananas. Fizzy taste, clean sweet aftertaste. Lightish taste compared with the aroma, bananas, flowers, spices. Slight bite of taste in the middle of the taste, but really creamy smooth finish. Not much alcohol taste (which is good) compared with the aroma. Tasty, but missing something in the taste, more fruit, too much flower. Light, slightly watery taste.

01-20-2009 03:42:53 | More by jujubeast6000
bishopdc0

Maine

3.3/5  rDev -21.4%

Shared a magnum with some friends.
The beer is golden with a white lace and head that remains nice.

The nose is sweet pale malts hints of honey and vanilla subtle

The mouth starts with a mouth of carbonation iit becomes malty sweet and the belgian yeasts comes and drys the palet and makes a slight bitter

09-05-2011 01:13:12 | More by bishopdc0
mattbk

3.33/5  rDev -20.7%

A - Cloudy, golden, very nice color, a bit darker than I'd like, nice head, good retention.
S - It's fairly skunky. I normally would have stopped a review by now, but upon drinking it, it was way better. Green bottles are just not acceptable, I don't care about tradition.
T - Belgian yeasty esters, apple, pear, some clove, no banana, fairly dry, maybe a bit sweet on the finish though. It's tasty, a little heavier than I'd like I think, but quite good. I'd like the finish just a bit drier. As it warms, some bitterness from the alcohol comes through, but it's definitely not hot at all.
M - Well carbonated, again I'd like a touch drier, but pretty good.
O - Normally, this is a style I very much like, but the aroma turned me off quite a bit, and the heavy finish left this beer a bit less sessionable. Still, it's a good beer and I would recommend it (if I could be assured it wasn't lightstruck somehow...)

06-12-2013 01:20:42 | More by mattbk
EStreet20

3.35/5  rDev -20.2%

750 ml green glass bottle marked best before end of 2007. Poured into a Victory Golden Monkey chalice.

A - Golden color with orange tint and one finger white head. Lots of bubbles rush to top. Head dissipates to a mere surface covering rather quickly.

S - Spicy, peppery aroma. A little grassy with some yeasty smell.

T - A bit sweet but actually tastes a little bland to me. Some spice on the opening, I really can't describe it as anything other than different. Not one of my favorites though.

M - Nice carbonation and a smooth feel.

D - While I'm not too crazy about the taste it is a beer that goes down nice and smooth.

Notes: After trying La Chouffe I am a little disappointed as BSPAs are my favorite style and after seeing the high overall score I was looking forward to this one. However I'm sure my displeaure is simply a matter of personal opinions as many other more experienced BA's have rated this one high. All in all quite different and a beer I'm sure many enjoy. The flavor and lack of a lasting head, however, don't do it for me. Will probably try again to see if I got a bad bottle.

09-28-2005 01:07:36 | More by EStreet20
rickyleepotts

Arizona

3.35/5  rDev -20.2%

We have tried a bottle from Brasserie d’Achouffe… the theme song is the only reason I remember why. The little elves are so cute! The bottle is big, too. For the price, you can’t beat this Belgian strong pale ale. Of course I say that having not had it… but trusting that an 8% 750ml bottle would be plenty for an evening by the fire. Or on the patio! (Not much fire here in the desert I imagine.)

In the Glass: It looks like a wheat beer in the glass. When I opened the giant green bottle, the spices rushed to my nostrils. I guess that is why they call it a “strong” pale ale. Maybe not. But I am glad that I was able to listen to the theme song once again. It’s so fun!

Nose: The spices are really coming through in the aroma. It has a very strong yeast scent coming in… and I am really not digging the pale aspect. I wonder if they make pale ales different in Belgium than they do here in the United States. Speaking of that, I am thinking about becoming a Cicerone. Has anyone ever done that? I am not even sure where that begins… but would be a fitting certification.

Flavor: The flavor is quite strong, as well. The spices come through quite a bit at first, then settle down as you swallow. Then the dryness that you expect from a spicy beer comes full force toward the end of the swallow and into the aftertaste. There is quite a bit of carbonation on the front of the palate. At first it reminds me of a Brett. I don’t like Brett beers, but this one I can handle.

Mouthfeel: There is a lot of carbonation at the front, but that is quickly gone as the flavors take over. The beer is 8% ABV, and you would never know it. It drinks like a typical American lager. I say that in the way it drinks, and the smoothness as it goes down. It’s a pale, but I still don’t get any of the bitterness that I expected from a pale.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is nice. It has some strong spice notes, and then the dryness that you expect out of an Irish stout kicks in. Not really sure where the dryness comes from, but am a big fan of the finish. The bottle says it is an “artisanal Belgian golden ale brewed with spices”. Those spices are there from the time you pop the top until you have finished drinking.

This isn’t a beer that I would “go to” without a reason, but I can see this being good either in the dead of winter (in most of the country) or in the middle of the summer. I can see myself drinking one or two of these over a nice dinner of red meats including burgers and hot dogs. This isn’t a beer you appreciate with a steak, that’s for sure. The price point is nice, too. Especially for a beer this big. I will hand it to the elf… he sure knows how to brew a good beer!

La Chouffe – The bottle says: “La Chouffe is brewed by the Artisans of la Brasserie d’Achouffee deep in the hear of Belgium’s Ardennes mountains. The legend of gnomes (chuffs) who once brewed in this mysterious region process the inspiration for this eccentric bottle conditioned, double fermented ale.

“This Belgian micro brewery crafts La Chouffe with local Ardennes’ water, top fermenting yeas, malts, fine hops, and coriander for spice. Double fermentation produces natural carbonation and a small yeast deposit (lees) on the bottom of the bottle.

“Enjoy the golden, dense white head and sweet-spicy flavor of La Chouffe. Serve between 50 and 55 degrees Fahrenheit and pod carefully into a wide-mouthed La Chouffe class to enjoy the full flavors and aromas of this ale from Belgium’s most eccentric brewery.

“Come and visit us at Brasserie D’Achouffe in the Ardennes mountains.”

07-22-2012 00:17:30 | More by rickyleepotts
emsroth

3.4/5  rDev -19%

12oz bottle

Yeast poured in

App: Dark honey amber that's super cloudy. Big fluffy head with wonderful lace.

Smell: Wonderfully complex smell. Sweet and sour grapes, tart tropical fruit, funky zest, slight malty undertones.

Taste: A rather subtle flavor. Starts with a STRONG carbonation bite. A slight fruity sweetness followed by a cereal graininess. Definite flavors of peach cobbler. Ends with an herbal bitterness.

I'm starting to learn that I think I like the zestyness of the american interpretation of belgian beers rather than the originals.

04-23-2010 03:26:50 | More by emsroth
optiontwo

3.43/5  rDev -18.3%

11.2oz. poured into tulip

Appearance: Semi-translucent gold/yellow with a lot of floaties and streaming bubbles. One inch fizzy white head dissipates quickly.

Smell: Orange, coriander, clove, banana, lemon, and resinous hops.

Taste: Honey and orange right off the bat followed by clove spice and banana and finally caramel malt and a mild amount of hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and high carbonation. Nice.

Drinkability: Medium.

Overall: Not as good as Chouffe's IPA but decent. I'd probably try it again. Spices aren't as detectable as I expected them to be.

02-15-2009 19:13:31 | More by optiontwo
Filosoof

Netherlands

3.43/5  rDev -18.3%

If you know 'the new Chouffe' (Dobbelen Triple Houblon Chouffe), tasting the 'old' regular La Chouffe is a disappointment

L: glass and top are very inviting; colour has a bit orange in it;
S: a faint smell of the Houblon Chouffe, a bit organge;
T: here comes the disappointment: it doesn't have a real body; where is the hop? The orange still can be tasted, but what else? I don't know. But clear is: it doesn't impress. A weak taste, without bitterness.
M: the carbonation is ok, but no more than that.
O: a disappointment; I have promised myself never be trapped again by the look of the little hobbit - unless it is the great Houblon Chouffe.

09-10-2011 10:52:54 | More by Filosoof
irishking1977

3.45/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Rusty gold with a massive, white pillowy head that slowly recedes leaving an abundance of lacing. Nearly rivals the appearance of Duvel.

S: Spice, a bit of pineapple, apple, pear yeast and candi sugar. I've only had this once prior to this review, and I don't recall any of this.

T: Tart, spicy and sweet, with a mild yeasty twang in the finish. The twang seems to wear thin after awhile. The one thing I do recall the only other time I've had this, was that it was very easy to drink, but unremarkable. This time around, it's still easy relatively to drink, with more of a kick. Still, not as complex as some BSA's, but more so than I found it to be the first time I had it.

M:Slick and smooth, with a mild bite in the finish. Less than average carbonation, which is somewhat of a detractor; I like my beers well carbonated. Doesn't hurt the beer's flavor too much, but could affect the drinkability slightly.

D: A relatively robust 8% ABV will almost certainly hurt drinkability of any beer. But the yeasty finish, more commonly found in Saisons and farmhouse ales, also hurts the drinkabilty. This is a sipper, for sure, but also not as great as most folks think. Not bad, but there are superior BSA's out there in comparison to this one. (Delirium Tremens, Duvel, Don De Dieu to name a few)

06-13-2010 01:07:57 | More by irishking1977