La Chouffe - Brasserie d'Achouffe

La ChouffeLa Chouffe

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-24-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,135 | Reviews: 842

1.99/5  rDev -52.6%

A too quick pour into my La Moneuse tulip lets a bit of chunky sediment into the glass (I usually forget to decant Belgians). The beer forms a slow-falling two-finger head, just off-white. The beer's body is a bright orange-gold, and visibly carbonated. The lacing is also quite dense. The nose is bright: full of green apples, grass, a bit of citrus, peach, sweet, and a bit peppery. But, there also seems to a green vegetable scent, like asparagus, that messes things up a bit (I like asparagus, just not in a beer). The taste is sweet and slightly alcoholic at first, but overshadowed by the asparagus flavor I noticed before. Ends fairly bitter. Terrible. Mouth is medium thick, and the carbonation is not as forward as I thought it would be. Still, this beer tastes horrible, so I must have a bad bottle, right? Nonetheless, I'll review and wait for another try.

Hugely disappointed here. Based on reviews here and feedback from friends I expected a lot, and finished feeling let down.

Won't bother with a full review as that would waste time. The finish here was so sweet it just reminded me of bubblegum. I mean that literally: I got notes of Bazooka Joe and Dubble Bubble here. Matter of fact, the nose and taste were absurdly sweet as well. If you like sweet, yeasty Belgians you will love this, but personally, this is a one and done for me.

2.25/5  rDev -46.4%

2.25/5  rDev -46.4%

2.53/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Opaque peach color with a head that settled quickly with nothing by Emilio Estevez left hanging on for dear life. Sketchy, watery lacing.

S - Faint malt aroma, not much to report in this category.

T - Spiced apple malt up front with floral undertones. Bitter sweet finish with a strong alcohol presence.

M&D - Highly carbonated, and a bit creamy.

A little disappointed in this one. I was expecting a more complex beer.

I'd like to give a shout out to BA reviewer 3080. I don't think anyone can top his/her review of this beer.

2.62/5  rDev -37.6%

Had this with fellow BA Moxley. Poured from a Petit bottle into a goblet, had apricot color and almost very little head that settled to nothing. The aroma was light and malty, but the taste was heavy spice up front with light malty flavor. It got better as it warmed and the sediment sips saved it from disapionting to acceptable, but still not something I would buy again. I wish I had BA member 3080's experience with this one, maybe we had a bad bottle.

2.65/5  rDev -36.9%

A: Pours golden in color, as advertised, topped with a fluffy white head made of big bubbles. The beer is hazy, but you can still see carbonation bubbles.

S: First thing I get is the grainy smell I get from most pilsners. Background I get some tart fruit, and apricot and maybe light peach.

T: No tartness or sour flavors in the taste like the smell might suggest. I do get a big grainy taste which lingers a while after the finish. There is the presence of something that can't quite identify. Its like a funkiness of sorts, probably from the yeast.

M: Highly carbonated and medium bodied, with a dry finish.

D: I don't care for the drinkability of it, way too bubbly and the flavor isn't to my liking.

2.66/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

mooie kleur en geur maar smaak valt tegen

2.75/5  rDev -34.5%

1Pt 9.4 oz bottle. Poured a hazy golden color, with a descent head that receded quickly, leaving some lacing on the glass. Aroma is of musty straw, citrus, and malt.Taste is earthy and musty. A very different taste for me. There is some sweetness in there, and a slightly bitter finish. You can feel the warmth from the alcohol. This is a little to earthy for me.

2.75/5  rDev -34.5%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
La Chouffe from Brasserie d'Achouffe