La Chouffe - Brasserie d'Achouffe

La ChouffeLa Chouffe

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-24-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Chouffe Alström Bros
4.95/5  rDev +17.9%

I was pleased that my first experience with this beer was on tap. This is an excellent beer, although it's funny - my first impression was that it tasted and smelled a bit like a creamy Hefeweizen. It tasted a bit smoky, with hints of peaches and bananas. It had a delicious appearance in the glass, with a hazy gold color and a frothy head. It also had hints of spiciness - clove and pepper with a light hoppiness to the finish. Overall a really excellent, drinkable beer. It also makes an impression on tap, my friends and I are still discussing this brew several days later.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

The pour was a bubbly gold with a frothy white head of two fingers. It wreaked of citrus and honey. Bitter hops, citrus, honey, and spices were all present in the taste. The mouthfeel was great. Very refreshing and easy to drink. I would definitely go after this beer again. I look forward to trying all the products that La Chouffe makes.

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

A 250 mL serving at the Ginger Man in Norwalk, Ct.

A: The ale is a hazy yellow color, a darker fuller yellow that flirts with deep golden colors. A half a finger of head coated the top of the ale and layered in strata as it was consumed.

S: The nose is spicy, with coriander and yarrow aromas and significant amounts of pale candi sugars. Very enticing, even if it can't hide its boozy strength.

T: The spice profile is strong, lots of sweetness mixed with boozy warmth. Coriander pepper, pale candi sugars, yarrow and citrus pepper the taste buds at various points throughout the sip. The flavor, overall, if full-bodied and thick, lots going on.

M: The spices make for a satisfying drink, good taste with a lot of alcohol backing it up.

D: Those little gnomes really know how to make good beer. The flavor profile will appease the stodgiest of critics.

Had this on-tap at Frisco Grille in Columbia, MD.

The beer poured a slightly cloudy pale straw color with a thick, white creamy head into a chalice. The smell was of yeast and bubble-gum. The taste was of candy sugar, hints of apple and bubble-gum, with a nice bitter finish. Good carbonation and lacing. Very refreshing for a strong ale - a solid beer.

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

A: Somewhat murky golden straw... a frothy head that recedes somewhat quickly, but leaves plenty behind.

S: Cinnamon & clove, a splash of green apple and peach. Slightly peppery.

T: Warm, spicy flavour... sweet, cloves, a little peppery, like the smell. Slightly peachy. Alcohol peeks out in the body right through the finish. Very tasty and nicely balanced.

M + D: A liberal carbonation sizzle over the tip of the tongue... calms through the body. Wet and refreshing... tasty enough to go back for more, but not quite big bodied enough to be a gentle sipper.

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Look: Slightly cloudy, golden in color with a hint of amber coloring. Thick white head after pouring with a thin cap remaining throughout the glass.

Smell: Smells of spices and sweet fruit with the presence of alcohol and hops.

Taste: Smooth, hoppy flavor without the bitter bite. Slightly fruits (peach and apricot), some sugar, and malt.

Feel: Lighter than expected, not quite a medium bodied feel that I expected from a Belgian ale.

A lot of flavor and alcohol but with a smooth finish. I could drink a couple and I recommend trying it, but you wont see me having more then one or two of these in a night.

4.31/5  rDev +2.6%

La Chouffe pours a pours a slightly hazy golden color with a thick sticky head that lingers nicely. The aroma is a bit of sulfur with some sweet pale malt and undertones of dry, chalky yeast and esters. The slight skunkiness comes through in the flavor but just a bit. The flavor is sweet with more of the light yeasty esters. I don't quite taste any spices, but I think thats probably evidence of good light spicing, it's there but not dominant. This is a very good beer, but it's unfortunate that it comes in a green bottle, as I'm sure this contributed to the skunked off-flavors.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured into a snifter. Poured a cloudy, straw yellow, with a slightly orange hue to it. Nice solid white head that hangs out for a while. Great lacing. Aromas are of sweet citrus, honey, tropical fruits, spices, nutmeg, anise, and some yeasty esters. Nice citrus flavor on top, s well as tropical fruits being all over this one. Some nice spices like clove and nutmeg really balance this out. Light mouthfeel, crisp and clean, with a great carbonation level. I think this beer is outstanding. Anything by Chouffe is worthy of a try, but their flagship beer is very delicious.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Bought a case of this over the summer, and hid the $90 receipt from the wife 'til after she had one (she understood when I compared it to buying $8 bottles of wine). Can't believe I haven't reviewed 'til now, so thankfully saved one in the cellar.

Beautiful appearance - small 1/2 finger head, very effervescent throughout, golden color - but first half of bottle was much clearer - second half had sediment (even tho tried not to pour it) floating in suspended animation - creating a full, cloudy amber appearance.

Smelled of grapes, corriander spice, pepper and some sweet fruity candy. Slight mustiness, too.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, this is a great flavor! Some yeasty notes add to everything I just noted in the smell.

Nice mouthfeel - dry, zesty bite on the tongue. Slight champagne quality.

Extremely drinkable - please go enjoy one of these, if you haven't already!

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

poured into a snifter from an 11.2 oz bottle.

murky orange color with a lot of floaters, good head that went away quickly.

smells of oranges and spices, maybe a little honey.

it is very sharp hitting your tongue, then goes to a sweet citrus flavor, followed by smoke or cloves. finishes warm and fruity.

this is possibly one of the best beers I have ever had the pleasure of drinking.

On tap in branded glass at Cafe Gollem in Amsterdam

A- Yeasty cloudy amber/blonde, with a 2 finger head, with a nice retention but very good lacing.

S- Spice, peaches and oranges, some fresh breads

T- Once again spices and citrus fruits, with a nice light alcohol note in the finish.

M- Light and spritzy yet not aggressive

D- Masks its 8% abv well, nice fruity aromas and tastes make this a nice flavoursome belgian

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

poured a cloudy gold with a one and a half finger high white head, that left delicate lacing behind.

nose of pepper, coriander, citrus and a little bit of honey

peach, grape skin, coriander, pepper

fairly active mouthfeel, medium bodied, foams up a little bit in the mouth.

A very enjoyable beer

4.62/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Went to this Italian Restaurant in Cincinnati (West Chester) called Anthony's. This place is more like a bar that serves food... But I was pleasently surprised by the tap selection! Bells Two Hearted, Rogue Dead Guy, Goose Island 312, La Chouffe, Guiness Nitro, Magic Hat #9, and a selection on cask.... (out of it). They had many others in bottle too... but I didn't check that out.

Anyway, I chose the La Chouffe Belgian as I had not tried this one before. It arrived in a tulip glass with just a thin cap of head (damn! I wish bartenders knew how to pour a beer!). The beer was a light straw color and just a tad cloudy.

The nose was big malty and some fruit like peach and a hint of spice.

Taste: VERY GOOD... lots of malt with a good alcohol presence. A little spice (like clove) and fruit (like peach and banana).

MF: GOOD, not as fizzy as many other Belgians I've had... (probably due to being served ON-TAP). Nice and smooth and creamy going down.

Drinkability: Yes, I'll have another. One of my favorite Belgians to date.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

I'm working on a glass of wine, and the lady's just home from work and proceeding to make some marinara with spaghetti, mushrooms and zuchini squash. I've been thinking all day about the Chouffe she bought me last night as an early anniversary present, so i ditch the wine and pop open the 750. I've had it before of course.

This beer sure pours out beautifully, golden in color and topped with a two-finger, billowing white cloud. Enticing.

On the nose i get orange rind. I ask my girlfriend to take a whiff and she declares "Jolly Rancher". Another sniff and I modify it to green apple Jolley Rancher.
Works for us.

The flavor comes off a bit yeasty, with lemon zest appeal, toasted grain, and a dry pilsner-like finish. Fruity but dry. Nice.

La chouffe is medium/full bodied and lively on the palate, with plenty of zippy carbonation.

Well, I don't know that i'm of right mind to rate it's drinkabilty, as I've nearly polished off the bottle after a few drinks prior and am reeling just a bit. This is a nice beer on it's own but really shines i think when paired with certain foodstuffs... give it a try with your favorite cheese.

4.45/5  rDev +6%

750 ml at manderes in folsom

A - Golden-yellow with nice head, great legs, but the head fades quickly.

S - Allspice, clove, and apricot.

T - All of the smells made it into the taste, this is incredibly smooth as well.

M - So smooth, light sugars add to the firmness of the body and provide ample character.

D - If not for the alcohol content, would make the ideal session beer. Excellent.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Brasserie d'Achouffe's Dobbelen IPA was without a doubt one of my favorite beers of all time, so I had high hopes for their Belgian Strong Pale Ale... this one didn't disappoint... after loving their last two samples, I must say this is an outstanding brewery specializing in some real, authentic, outstanding brews that really hit home and impress with their distinctive high quality... Pours a wonderful golden color with decent foamy head... serious carbonation is visible behind a grainy, straw-colored hue... Teriffic ripe-fruit smell, with a crisp, fresh, light, aroma... taste was full of grapefruit, bananas, sweet candy, with a clear, crisp flavor full of yeast... the 8% ABV is not detected behind a rich conglomeration of fruit-filled flavors that dance on the tongue... amazing, rich, tasty mouthfeel with ultra-easy drinkability that goes down crisp, clear, clean, and smooth... no trouble drinking this one... a world-class brew... Definitely recommended...

4.21/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 750ml bottle to chalice at North 3rd Bar in Philly. Years back this was one of my first introductions to Belgian beer and have only now had the chance to really reflect on it.

Golden straw color, hazy, with great head retention, almost 3 fingers. Head stays for pretty much the duration of the drink. Loads of lace along the glass. Aroma is sweet with some peppery hints, also some honey. Taste reflects the aroma, but not with as much sweetness as I would have expected. Lots of fruit flavoring, some apple and citrus, along with some honey, also some coriander and some peppery spice. However the fruity flavoring is soon subdued by a dry hoppiness and soft alcohol glow. Mouthfeel is fizzy, reminding me a little of a Duvel, but full and coating. Very drinkable, 8% is not incredibly high, and the complexity of the flavors allow for continual imbibing contemplation.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

This was from a 750 ml bottle from bevmo, so who knows how old it was. The beer was a nice semi-dark golden color with a tall fluffy white head that had some moderate retention for a belgian beer. The only reason I didn't give the appearance a higher rating is that I could see yeast floating around in the bottle, and this is after it sat in the fridge for a week.

The aroma was very sweet and of belgian yeast (the high abv yeast that is used in a lot of tripels). The flavor was very nice. The extreme sweetness balanced out the 8% abv. I am assuming that the color and sweetness are from candi sugar. There is a moderate hop bitterness and a fairly high carbonation that give it some bite. Very nice.

This beer had a relatively heavy body which is somewhat rare with these belgian golden ales. I am hop head so I really like the thickness of the strong american ales. This was an extremely drinkable beer and will most certianly try it again.

4.06/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazed glowing honey colored pour with a towering 3 finger head that displays epic retention, filming my Urthel mushroom goblet in sheets of lace.

Aroma is nice but seems diminished somehow. Pale Belgian malts, some candi and spice, light pepper and grass.

Thankfully the flavor is much bigger than the nose. Excellently structured layers of pale malts, a touch of something pilsneresque, and dry crackers are met by notes of citrus, coriander, white pepper, pinapple, and green apple. Overall quite dry but fruity. Quite complex.

The mouthfeel is excellent, creamy and full yet light on the palate with an airey feel. Consumed by itself this time, this would make a superb beer to pair food with.

This was one of the first Belgian beers I really liked and have dismissed it for the past 6-7 years. I must say i've been missing out.

3.53/5  rDev -16%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A bit dissapointed by this one- I had very high expectations. Pourned nicely, a bit hazy- but nice creamy head. As I drank the bottle, I could see the extra yeast diposit. Nice spicey aromas and flavors- definetely on the dry side, even though there was some sweetness as it mellowed. Clearly enjoyable, but not distinctive. Too much competition at this price.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Petit bottle filled right to the collar of the neck. Never seen a bottle this full before...

It pours hazy yellowish-amber. Under closer examination I realize that this beer is full of tiny particles suspended with an almost neutral buoyancy. Tiny bubbles of mild carbonation rise up through the sediment forming a small, but retentive head. Nice lacing as it drinks down. This beer smells wonderful. There is a wild, musty yeast aroma that rises from a smooth, light malt undertone. Very fruity/spicy. I smell an almost pineapple sweetness and I can notice alcohol after a long smell, but it definitely isn't a hot smell. The flavor is very complex. Incredibly smooth and creamy with mellow and sweet general flavors. Citrus, candi sugar, apples, pineapple, and spicy and bitter hops at the end. The alcohol tingles your tongue after a while and the sweetness subsides and the bitterness becomes more prevalent. This is an ever-changing beer. The body is pretty dry giving it a very light and lively mouthfeel.

Overall, this is what I would consider a more refined and finer tuned version of La Fin Du Monde from Unibroue. More delicate and complex, but a similar fruit flavor and yeast aroma/flavor. Better hopped and more interesting flavor profile IMO.

I enjoyed this one with some chunks parmesan peppercorn baguette. The peppercorn works well with the dryness and hops.

3.79/5  rDev -9.8%

330 ml from the Coop for I think about $4.50.. poured into my Kasteel tulip.

Careful pour left a nice 1/2" head and good lacing for the entire glass.... more important a steady hand produced a clear honey golden brew.

Nose seems like a "Belgian" lite... a little flat smelling. Belgian pale malts with only slight expected esters.

Thankfully the flavor is miles ahead of the aroma. Belgian pale malts are heavy with a touch of candy sugar and spicy notes. Some fruitiness ... lite white peaches and a little melon... spices remind me of white pepper .. cumin .. and coriander... maybe a touch of orange peel. Lite/medium viscosity and more than adequate little bubble carbonation.

Maybe only the 3rd time I've had this brew... I always look over it, because my brew stores typically only carry the 750's and I try and get smaller bottles because my ADD tells me I must try something else... good choice even though the nose is definately lacking.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Hazed orange gold with a white head. Nose is yeasty and citrus. Flavor is strong with apparent yeast influence and a minute citrus edge. Sweet, but not overly so. Definite influence from spices, but not overpowering by any means. Feel is good with carbonation. Pretty standard for the style, but still good. Highly drinkable. I’d go back to this again and again...and again.

4.62/5  rDev +10%

A wonderful Belgium. Girls find the Grimble Grumble Gnome cute. Biding my time with this beer, I find it lovely. Opened it to find it bubbling out into onto my counter, quickly into my glass. A Spiced Blondie, she had lots of carbonation and lots of suspended yeast (best I could tell, of those little floaters). The guy who devised Oberon & Two Hearted recommended this so I had to try. I can see why. This beer would be amazing on draught at the source.

3.96/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer ended up with a higher rating than I thought it would when I first tried it. It' just that the mouthfeel and drinkability are so memorable that I am drawn to it when I want something cool. Not much more to say besides what has been written except that I find this to be like a dumb blond chick that's good in the sack. I don't want to marry her, but she's great fun on a summer day.

La Chouffe from Brasserie d'Achouffe