La Chouffe - Brasserie d'Achouffe

La ChouffeLa Chouffe

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-24-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of La Chouffe Alström Bros
Reviews: 834 | Hads: 2,235
4.07/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I picked up a bottle of Brasserie d'Achouffe's La Chouffe last month for $4.43 at Toskey Sands Market. So It looks like this is the 900th different beer I've had since I joined the site three years ago and I thought I would go with a beer that I have been meaning to try for a long time now, so lets see how it goes. Best before Feb. 2016. Poured from a brown shorter euro style 330ml bottle into a Belgian Tulip.

A- The label looks ok, I'm not a big fan of the gnome on the label but it doesn't look bad. It poured a hazy golden yellow color that took on more of a golden and amber color when held to the light with two and half fingers worth of white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This a nice looking beer, but i think the head retention and lacing could have been a little better.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that has a honey like aroma to it and it's followed by a nice fruity aroma with some nice citrus rind aromas coming through along with a nice pear aroma. Up next comes Belgian yeast aroma with some banana aromas and a mix of spicy aromas with coriander seeming to stick out the most. Towards the end comes the malts which impart a grainy, sweet malt, caramel, and wheat like aromas. This beer had a very nice aroma that was true to style and fairly complex.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness that had a light honey flavor to it and it's followed by some fruity flavors up front that impart a nice citrus rind flavor with a slight pear flavor in the background. Up next comes the Belgian yeast which imparts a nice spicy flavor with coriander still sticking out the most and there's a slight banana flavor in the background. Towards the end comes the malts which impart a grainy, bready and wheaty flavor with a slight alcohol flavor and a lower amount of bitterness with a malty, Belgian yeast, and citrus rind aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer that's very true to style.

M- Smooth, very crisp, pretty dry, medium bodied with a higher amount of prickly carbonation. The mouthfeel was true to style and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a pretty good and textbook example of a Belgian Strong Pale Ale with pretty much all the aspects that I look for in the style and nothing seemed out of place. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, very crisp, not filling, and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, but I think the prickly carbonation would prevent me from drinking more than one of these. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma and mouthfeel I thought they were both very nice and they were pretty true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, it wasn't bad, but the head retention and lacing were a little weak. I don't think I would buy this beer again, it's good, but it's a little pricey and for around the same price I can get Duvel which I like more than this beer. I would recommend it to anyone who likes the style or Belgian beers in general. All in all i was satisfied with this beer, it wasn't the best of the style I have had, but I still thought it was good and I'll be on a look out for more beers from this brewery since this beer made for a good first impression, nice job guys, keep up the good work. (3,461 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours hazed and lemon yellow with an orange pastel hue when held to the light in the room. Fat white head that is slow to fall and leaves a layer on top. Nose is bright with orange peel, lemongrass, a soft honey sweetness, little yeasty bite and a delightful faint tickle of lime. Some grass and a bit herbal. There is the faintest clove and banana in the background. Taste is dry and sparkling with ample carbonation. Tangy citrus bites and then sweet fruit peel soothes. The malt is light cracker with a touch of honey. The banana smooths out the beer and gives it a lasting quality to the palate. Finishes lightly sweet and tart with a mouthwatering citrus and little spicy kick from corriander. Herbal and grass keeps it bright and a bit bold.

Really nice. (762 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

750 ml bottle served in a goblet.

Opened up and there was smoke lingering around the top. Poured a slightly cloudy nice golden color.

Pear and yeast on the nose; some honeycomb and maybe orange peel. Love the old yeast type smell. It's a shame that there is no sign of bottle conditioning.

Tastes great. Tastes almost like a dark beer and dark beers are usually my favorite. At the end you can taste the coriander and feel the bubbles and the alcohol comes in faintly. The alcohol is not the boozy sweet type but the astringent rubbing alcohol taste. It is good that the alcohol taste and bitterness is not that strong. I do not like bitter tastes at all and this one does finish lightly bitter.

Good smallish bubbles in the carbonation. This beer has a nice light feel to it. Not too harsh.

Great beer. My favorite beers are the strong, sweet dark belgians (St Bernardus, Gouden Caroulus Van de Kaiser Blau on tap, Gulden Draak etc)but this beer is up pretty high on my list even though it is not a dark. I wish it finished without any bitterness at all. This has a stout long lasting 8% alcohol effect on me. Feels more like 13% to me. I will probably be buying this again and may try aging this. (1,204 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

a: poured hard into mug @ 36f, golden yellow color, this 330ml has less yeast than the 750 ml version. big giant 3 inch head, settled down to 1/2 or so. nice lacing

s: nice yeast nose, sweet malt, banana like, reminds me of a hefe.

t: very spicy bite, strong Belgian pale malt and yeast backbone. balanced hop wise, its like a blend of golden strong ale or blonde, Duval lite with coriander. funky, malt banana bite as it warms.

m: medium body, med carb, smooth, spicy aftertaste bite

o: refreshing beer even @ 8%, easy to drink, outstanding beer. I had this beer in Amsterdam at tiny neighbor bars, when this is the only Belgian they carry. never been disappointed about that yet! It funny I just started review on here most beers I drink I buy at retail

4 pack of 330 bottle @ 9.99 at TW. (798 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

From my tasting notes: The La Chouffe was a strong Golden Ale in the vein of Duvel that came with a fluffy white head and plenty of belgian yeast notes in the aroma. This was a great tasting beer that was herbal and spicy while being very well balanced and highly drinkable. This is their flagship beer and it was very tasty. Definitely one to revisit. (352 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance- Pours up a bunch of head that seems to have a fair amount of retention. The head is a pure cotton white while the body is a pale amber that glows with hints of orange and lemon when held up to the light. Some lacing is left behind.

Nose- Definitely a Belgian beer, it's bright with citrus flavors (orange and lemon), spice notes (coriander and clove), and other esters (banana specifically). Thick with yeast, there is nothing subdued about the aroma of this beer. Some orange and lemon peel are in there as well. Some other esters such as melon, peach, and apple. The apple becomes stronger as I drink it.

Taste- Citrus forward with notes of orange and lemon while a bit of Belgian yeast starts to appear. It suggests clove (heavy clove), coriander, and banana. Spicy to the point there is a minor tingle on the tongue and on my gums. Very yeasty, maybe a little too yeasty for me but this is just my first taste. Maybe it will mellow out. Some banana as well but the other minor esters of the aroma haven't really appeared as of yet. Some earthy, grassy, and herbal notes as well. At the moment, this seems a notch above Duvel but still below Damnation, pretty much my standard for Belgian Goldens. Banana starts to outweigh the citrus notes. Some apple hangs in the background. Solid beer and a very good representation of the style.

Mouthfeel- Almost medium bodied with touches of syrup to the texture. Good amount of carbonation but his works well with the overall spiciness and tingle. A bit of a dry finish helps wrap it all up.

Drinkability- No heat but the yeast spice is a little bit of an obstacle for me but not much of one. Priced about the same as Duvel but a little better.

Overall- Solid to very good. If you're a fan of Belgians and specifically, golden ales, you should give this a try. Or if you're new to these styles, this would be a good introduction. (1,895 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

La Chouffe has a thick, frothy, off-white head, lots of heavy lacing left behind, a hazy, golden appearance, and lots of tight bubble streams. The aroma is of very spicy, yeasty, pungent, sweet bread and grain, and the flavor is of all that, with some dessert bread and pepper. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and La Chouffe finishes dry, rich, somewhat refreshing, and easing going. Overall this beer is difficult to describe, but I score it outstanding.

RJT (459 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Golden opaque body with a medium weak head due to low carbonation, typical of Belgian Strong Pale Ales.
S: Bananas, peach, citrus notes and a heavy tone of both malt and alcohol.
T: All the things included in the aroma are both present in the taste, as well as resin and belgian yeast.
M: A very balanced bitterness (20 IBUs) makes it much better than its direct rival, Duvel with 32 IBUs. It's a softer beer that dries your mouth after the sip, almost obliging the drinker to finish it quickly.
O: The Brasserie d'Achouffe and its gnome have never let me down, gotta love this beer and these guys. (602 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

33cl brown bottle bought in the Netherland super market

A: golden, little cloudy, and poured with a very thick foam which lasts and sticks on the glass
S: banana/clove, graininess, caramel
T: caramel, some grain malt, followed by a very slight herbal bitterness from what I think is hop and some sweetness and warmth from alcohol
M: little sweet to my mouth. but dry for its high alcohol strength.
O: it reminds me of Duvel. a nice beer (437 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A- pours a hazy burnt amber with some floating particles. The head in this one is amazing. Almost white and sticky beyond belief. Tentacles of lace reach up and refuse to let go.

S- fruity and bright, the coriander really stands out giving it the impression of a GE soft white light bulb. Vaporous spice warmth with other tropical delights such as banana, pineapple, clove, honey, papaya, peach, and melon over a pastry like malt. Very floral fruit blossom hop character with notes of apple and pear.

T- nicely sweet without being overwhelming. Fruitiness levels out to pear, sweet peaches, banana and over ripe melon. There's some citrus notes but the warmth of the coriander takes a back burner. Into the finish it gets very yeasty and banana peels bomb the senses. There's no tartness to be found, but a subtle constant grassy bitterness resides under the honeyed malt.

MF- pronounced yet soft carbonation sets the tone for the yeasty feel. Almosty powdery but also sugared and somewhat cloying as it warms. Moderate alcohol dryness.

D- awesome brew but a little too sweet for my taste, which won't effect the score one iota. This is a kick ass melange like I've never experienced. Elements of triple, witbier, and golden. (1,233 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had this one last week at a small restaurant in Amsterdam Oost. Originally thought that this was a mass market Belgian Pale Ale, however I was glad to find out that I was wrong.

Strong floral scent, but not overwhelming. Cloudy appearance, served chilled but not to cold.

First sip had a complex set of strong flavors. Floral notes definitely associated with a strong hoppy burst, slightly balanced by a citrus/earthy flavor. Had some other tastes in there I couldn't pick out - primarily because they didn't last long.

A little bit of a alcohol flavor just before it finished with a smooth, dry tart taste. Nice balance from start to finish.

Carbonation was good, kept it refreshing. Had it with a shrimp pasta dish that complimented the complex tastes very well.

Very happy I tried this one - definitely a beer I would have again. (841 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A:
Pours an almost-clear golden yellow with a huge, airy white head that dissipates fairly quickly leaving a cap of white foam that can hold its own. Good retention; minimal lacing.

S:
Musky yeast smells mixed with soap, lemon, fresh cut grass, and other earthy goodness. Some definite citrus and booze notes, but these are by no means the predominate odors. Smells Belgian (if that makes sense).

T:
Big yet subtle. Fresh, crisp citrus notes right off the bat with a gradual warming maltiness towards the end. There is a really persistent hoppy funk below it all but it doesn't dominate. Long, lingering, slightly sticky aftertaste. Exquisite.

M:
Medium body with intense carbonation and a tinge of boozy warmth.

O:
Helluva beer. Between this and their Houblon Chouffe beer I think I could safely could make a trip to the proverbial desert island.
This is an intricate and subtle brew to say the least. At first sip it is not too in-your-face but as you concentrate on it you'll find it to be an extremely complex and enjoyable beer. I would say that it is predominately malty because there is always a tinge of sweetness, but it also is always funky and hoppy enough to bring you back. To me, this is what makes a good beer; when you can pick apart most of what is going on, but it happens so effortlessly that it requires a little work to separate it all out. Fabulous beer. And on sale for 5 bucks!!!
Would get it again, would recommend it to others. (1,458 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Pours a bright golden yellow with a quickly-dissipating white head.

S - Spices, clove, classic Belgian yeast, slightly citrusy/floral. Reminds me of a few Trappist tripels, which is a great thing.

T - Everything from the aroma is present but with a slight hoppiness in the finish. The alcohol is nicely masked; I wouldn't have guessed that this is 8.00% ABV.

M - Medium body; lightly carbonated. Refreshes the palate.

O - A great example of the "lighter" Belgian ales.

This is a perfect beer for me to bring to a nice restaurant: it's beautiful, refreshing, and light enough to enjoy a full meal. (606 characters)

Appearance: Deep gold; cloudy; big head

Aroma: Tart fruit; coriander

Taste: Dry aftertaste; herbal; hop resins in aftertaste

Remarks: Bought this during our first trip to Belgium. I think it was at a Carre Four just outside Bruges.

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores (298 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -22.5%

A - Cloudy, golden, very nice color, a bit darker than I'd like, nice head, good retention.
S - It's fairly skunky. I normally would have stopped a review by now, but upon drinking it, it was way better. Green bottles are just not acceptable, I don't care about tradition.
T - Belgian yeasty esters, apple, pear, some clove, no banana, fairly dry, maybe a bit sweet on the finish though. It's tasty, a little heavier than I'd like I think, but quite good. I'd like the finish just a bit drier. As it warms, some bitterness from the alcohol comes through, but it's definitely not hot at all.
M - Well carbonated, again I'd like a touch drier, but pretty good.
O - Normally, this is a style I very much like, but the aroma turned me off quite a bit, and the heavy finish left this beer a bit less sessionable. Still, it's a good beer and I would recommend it (if I could be assured it wasn't lightstruck somehow...) (915 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Cloudy orange gold, thick white head with long lasting lacing

S - Citrus and flowers

T - Orange, spices, buttery caramel, and sweet, fruity esters. Finishes with a floral, hoppy bitterness

M -Smooth, very bubbly, but not in a bad way. Dry finish

O - Overall, very enjoyable and drinkable beer, especially in the warmer months. If you like your triples a bit sweeter, this is the way to go. Pretty easily available too, just one of the more pricey triples, as far as the commonly sold ones go. (528 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

750 ml bottle split two ways into a tulip. "Best before end 2015" marked on bottle.

A- Semi-hazy golden honey body, with a well retained, pillowy off white head. Thick rings of lacing hold on throughout consumption.

S- A spicy sting jumps into the nose, with a hint of booze and a light sweet maltiness.

T- Rather mild sweetness, with a little spice. Complexity in taste seems to be lacking.

M- A light body for the ABV, it seems. A little fizzy, and the spice hangs in the aftertaste.

O- This beer is decent, but it really didn't have the depth of flavor I like in Belgian strongs. It wasn't bad, but I don't see myself buying another one for the price I paid. (667 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +1%

Hazy amber-gold appearance, and it's capped with a two-finger head that settles to a persistent film of foam. Excellent retention and lacing. Chalky, phenolic yeast aroma upfront. Light grain and coriander notes. The back end of the aroma is floral and fruity.

Moderately dry with nice complexity on the palate. Texture is probably the best attribute -- almost silky smooth due to the very fine carbonation. No harshness at all. Fruity esters are at the forefront, while there's a cracker-like malt backbone of what seems like pilsner malt. Very easy drinking for 8% ABV.

La Chouffe is just a great all-around Belgian pale. I wish I'd tried it sooner. Flavor and aroma didn't really wow me, but it's solid all-around and available in 4-packs of 330ml. (753 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours into my snifter a gorgeous golden color with a reddish hue. The pour retained a nice tight head with minimal lacing. The nose has a delicate spice with fresh-bread notes. Not quite clear, yet not cloudy. Very pretty.

I'm really diggin' this brew. Wonderful balance, clean finish. The high ABV was not evident. Refreshing...an all-season ale I could enjoy by the fire in December or on the deck in July. Once again, I will have to re-arrange my Top 5 to include La Chouffe. (479 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Golden color. Good head retention and lacing.

S: Yeast, spice, and fruit.

T: Follows the nose. Peach and some pepper come through with a light malt backbone.

M: Light and nicely carbonated.

Overall: Great beer. The Smell is an enticing mix of fruit and yeast. It's very drinkable for 8%. A complex and enjoyable Belgian. (327 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: large white frothy head, beautiful amber orange color. Unfiltered, lots of particles.

Smell: smells a lot like a delerium and a duvel, you can really smell the citrusy belgian yeast.

Taste: my favorite belgian strong ale, its a lot smoother than the other famous ones. You get all the complex flavors an spice notes you would expect, but the big thing about this beer is the smoothness. Very citrusy, strong notes of coriander and slight banana aftertaste. I taste a lot of apples as well. This is a very refreshing beer.

Mouthfeel: pretty carbonated, very sweet and doesnt leave tour mouth too dry.

Overall: This is one of my favorite beers for any situation. Ive had it on tap in Amsterdam, for my first experience. But honestly i almost like it out of the bottle better. Maybe thats an unfair assesment as I haven't had it on tap in years, but regardless this beer will amaze anyone. Its so drinkable that this could convert even non beer drinkers into avid beer snobs. If you love Delirium or Duvel, you need to give this a shot, you'll probably like it even better. (1,087 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into my Duvel Tulip. I poured a bit too fast, as there’s sediment galore.

Appears dark orange and with a lot of sediment, as previously stated. I thought it was pretty well carbonated on the pour too.

Smells a bit like oranges and cream. Yeasty. From the smell, I feel like it will have a bit of a bite to it. Spicy. Maybe a hint of lavender. Very floral.

I was surprised at how mild it actually was. A lot of citrus working in there. A very nice spice bite as you swallow. Belgium yeast.

Mouthfeel was tingly and not very viscous at all.

Overall, not a bad beer. It’s certainly something I’ll see again down the road, but nothing that knocked my socks off. (694 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The color is a hazy amber orange with a big head.

I tasted this with another beer and the aroma is just delicious. It’s fruity and of
It has an extremely fresh smell of yeast. There’s an off orange, like tangerine, and apple and pear. There’s a bran cereal note with honey.

The taste is similar to the aroma. However, the backbone maltiness carries throughout the mouth quite well. It’s just so very smooth throughout. It’s a good malt and fresh fruitiness and then it just cleans up nicely. There’s a clove, banana there.

This is a dangerously drinkable beer. It hides the alcohol so well and you just want to keep drinking it.

I taste tested this with Duvel and I would say I prefer this because of the smooth maltiness, but also the lovely fruit flavors.

What a wonderful beer. (797 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

330ml bottle, served in oversized tulip

A - semi-cloudy wheat colour, 1" head that dissipates

S - pale malts, a little funk, some gum-y hops

T - pale malts, a little wheat, sweet without being overly so, maybe a little grape?

M - a little denser than normal, but it really works. Medium-light on the carbonation.

O - very nice! I'd like to do a BPA A/Bing sometime. (370 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This pours a clear golden color with billowy foam. There’s a vibrant aroma, estery & floral, with notes of coriander and lemongrass. Spot on, it smells great!

The flavor is crisp, bright, with a clear estery finish that showcases some noticeable straw notes. Sweetly dry, this was enjoyable. (294 characters)

La Chouffe from Brasserie d'Achouffe