Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel - Brasserie d'Achouffe

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA TripelHoublon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-13-2006

to view more.
Ratings: 2,445 | Reviews: 1,146
Reviews by ThinkAgain:
4.53/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Resplendent honey gold (developing an apricot-like blush by the bottom of the bottle) that is beautifully busy with a flurry of fine yeast and multiple streams of uprushing bubbles. As expected, there was very little beer visible immediately after the pour due to the massive head of French vanilla froth. Belgian beer, especially ridiculously hopped Belgian beer, is often crowned with the most amazing heads in all of beerdom. This one is impossibly rocky and throws up a gorgeous display of fine, feathery, soon to be crusty lace. Epic.

How could the nose be anything other than fandamntastic with a hop bill consisting of Amarillo (dry-hopped), Tomahawk and Saaz? It isn't quite as explosive as I'd hoped, but that's a minor point when it smells this good. I'm sure that the still-thick cap has something to do with the slight lack of immediacy.

I didn't expect this beer to smell this lemony. It isn't often that the lemon zest esters of Saaz hops make their way to the head of the line (past grassy, spicy and floral), but they've done so here. The beer smells like creamy lemon meringue pie--and looks like it too!--or like buttery, clove-spiced lemon shortbread. Very, very, N'ice.

The only real suspense before I take my first sip is just how much I'm going to love this beer, a little or a lot. And the answer is... a lot. It isn't quite as brilliant a creation as Thiriez XXtra, or maybe even Urthel Hop-It, but it's damn close. Besides, it isn't really fair to compare beers of such different styles. They're all hopped to the gills and they're all fabulous.

Since I love IPAs and I love tripels, I had a pretty good idea that I would love what is meant to be a combination of those two styles, even if I wasn't sure what it would taste like. I'm not sure that the pale/pils malt backbone is all that tripel-like, though it is substantial and is more than sturdy enough to handle a few fields worth of hops. Well, one field's worth anyway.

Saaz is the dominant member of the hoptastic trio. Its beautifully peppery buzzsaw-like nature, on such glorious display in Thiriez XXtra, is muted to some extent by the fruitiness of the American varieties. Those expecting an Amarillofest will be disappointed. All in all, I'd say that the hops were well-chosen with each providing the 'better angels of their nature', resulting in a hoppy flavor profile that is second to few.

A too-aggressive Belgian yeast strain would not have been a good idea and I'm happy to report that the one that has been chosen is laid back enough in terms of cloviness that the hops are allowed to shine with maximum radiance. As is often the case with extremely well-crafted beer, the ABV is of academic interest only. The alcohol is beginning to creep up on me in a velvet hammer sort of way, but it's difficult to appreciate it on the palate.

The body/mouthfeel is worthy of both the best IPAs and the best tripels. It's medium-full and creamy smooth with a carbonation load that is vigorous early and restrained late. I love the fact that the silky stickiness present on the finish is permitting the wonderfully hoppy flavor maximum 'bud time'.

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel, even though it contains at least three different styles in its name, is a singular creation by a master Belgian brewer. Some will discount over-the-top hoppiness as a passing fad, but in the right hands (and the hands at Brasserie d'Achouffe are some of the most capable that you'll find) it turns great beer into transcendent beer. Houblon Chouffe looks like a masterpiece and drinks like a dream.

3.58/5  rDev -15%

Well there is alot of hype that comes with this beer but it was what I expected really.Poured a hazy light golden with a big blooming white fluffy head,aromas are yeasty somewhat pneolic with herbal notes.Yeah this beer is pretty hoppy the saaz really show thru quite spicey and zippy with "green" herbal notes and somewhat medicinal.The Belgian yeast is very prevelant along with a mineral-like quality,eh its ok but to me along the same lines of Urthel Hop It in its hop character just not my thing I guess but a solid beer none the less.

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – This gave off the most beautiful Appearance that I’ve ever seen in a Belgian ale. The body is a gorgeous cloudy orange and the head is pure white and as bountiful as they come. It slowly dissipated into clumps of lumpy foam.

The lacing was unbelievable. I took notes on my first bottle but had to buy a second one to review “live” just to see if it left the same lacing, and sure as shit it did.

Smell – This is the strongest Tomahawk smell I’ve ever gotten from a Belgian Ale, that’s for damn sure. The other European hops are milder, but the spicing is huge. This is also probably the biggest whiff of coriander that I’ve ever gotten short of cooking with it.

I don’t mean to ignore the malt structure, Belgian yeast, or lemony fruit, it’s just that the hops and especially the spices are so big. This is an awesome bouquet worthy to be smelled many times over.

Taste – The big, giant hops come over at the taste, and the fruit flavors are a bit bigger here as well. There is so much complexity in the hop and fruit flavors that I just can’t imagine what went into making this ale. It is super sweet, ultra hoppy, and bitingly spicy.

Mouthfeel – This Belgian Ale has a nice, fluffy, carbonated mouthfeel that is both live and smooth at the same time.

Drinkability – This really is in a class all by itself. It’s a big beer no doubt, but you just want to session it all night long.

Notes – This is classified as a Tripel but really is a Double IPA-type of Tripel as it states on the label. I think if I were to rate this IAW strict Belgian Tripel guidelines it would have went down a notch or two, but as long as they are proclaiming their intentions right on the bottle I threw caution to the wind and just went for a more open-mined approach.

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Many thanks to FirkinDave for getting this beer on tap at the Firkin in Libertyville, IL and for his generous pours.

Pours a hazed honey gold into a Houblon Chouffe glass (just about the cutest beer glass I’ve ever seen). Carbonation streams are out of hand. Foam is thick and frothy. Outstanding looks.

Aroma is more mellow than expected. Sure there are large amounts of grapefruit and lemon pepper but from a brew that bills itself as a hopped up double triple I expected something a little more in your face.

Hop flavors are smaller than expected in the taste as well and they tend to lend themselves toward the citrus end of the spectrum there too. Interesting saisonlike yeast flavors make this one a real drinker for me. Beyond that I enjoy the intense citric flavors. This is a great summertime brew and very refreshing. There’s plenty of lemon, lime, unripe orange peals, and grapefruit to go around.

Body is a touch thin but mouthfeel is quite good overall. There is a moderate bitterness to be sure, but I personally find the subtle sourness and tartness on and around my tongue to be the real pleasurable core of this brew. The spicy, peppered finish dries well and leaves the palate thirsty for more. The strong yeasts offer a creamy sensation for part of the brew as well. As far as feel goes, this beer has it almost right on.

Drinkability was good enough for me to drink four in a row and I very rarely drink the same beer twice in one sitting, especially when I’m at a place with a great selection like the Firkin.

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Serving date: 2009-03-24. Served in tasting glass.

A: Pale yellow color, somewhat straw colored. Slightly hazy. Big white and thick head. Good head retention. Some lacings.

S: Plenty of floral hop aromas. Decent amount of sweet fruity aromas as well (banana, lemon peel, grapefruit). Yeast. A slightly sharp smell, but very pleasant.

T: White bread, biscuity malts. Yeast. Some spices and herbs. Plenty of grass and earthy notes. Very big and quite bold hop flavors that blend beautifully with the malts and "Belgian" yeast character. Pleasant bitterness in the finish and faint spicy alcohol. Some flavors are a bit sharp, but all in all a very nice taste.

M: Medium body, plenty of carbonation. Slides very easily over the tongue.

D: I really liked this one. It manages to blend a rather aggressive and bold hop character with the sweet, fruity and yeasty character of the Belgian pale ale style in a great way. Highly recommended.

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: A pale golden beer with excellent clarity. The persistent head pours with two fingers of creamy foam that slowly settle into a cap of big sticky bubbles that leave glass coating Belgian glass.

S: A moderate citrus hops aroma that has some pineapple character along with some spicy hops aroma. There is a light malt sweetness and some floral alcohol notes. There isn't much in the Belgian yeast aromas of fruit and spice but you wouldn't mistake it for having American ale yeast either.

T: A strong hops bitterness with moderate citrus hops flavor that tastes muted from age. There is a moderate orange flavor that seems yeast derived. An orange peel flavor towards the end with a bitter aftertaste. The balance is fairl bitter but the malt does bring a light clean sweetness mid and late palate.

M: a medium-light bodied beer with moderately strong carbonation.

O: I'll definitely need to find a fresh bottle because I know that Chouffe is way better than the score I've got for this old bottle. Tripels can have this amazing ability to hold onto the hops flavor and aroma for a couple years and aroma but this bottle tastes like it's a an old American Double IPA. Unfortunately there was no date on the label to assist me when I bought it.

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A 75cl bottle poured into a Delirium tulip

Pours a cloudy golden straw with a pillowy white head. Head recedes to a small layer after a minute. I'm a sucker for good lacing and this beer has it.

Smells hoppy like an IPA but much more of a floral/grassy hop vs. many of the common citrusy 'C' hops in American IPA's with a similar intensity nose. Behind the hops you can smell the Belgian yeast that makes this beer distinct.

The taste isn't as hoppy as it smells and has a very smooth bitterness and not harsh as many IPA's I've drank. The back end is all those fruity Belgian tripel tastes. Truly a melding of two distinct strong flavor profiles and I'm surprised they do not clash as much as I would expect.

The beer starts sharp from the firm bitterness and ends sharply as well because of the dryness. The middle is very soft like many Belgians start off.

This is my first (I think) taste of the Belgian IPA style and I am enjoying it. It is very drinkable despite its high gravity and I'm really digging the dichotomy of hoppy/fruity tastes and they both are distinct and do not step on to each others toes. A solid beer and a style in which I will search out more examples.

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%

Split in Duvel tulips w/ hu5om

A: a light golden wheat color, a little hazy with a cloudy foam head and light lacing.

S: hops (light) hit the nostrils, hints of wheat.

T: a blast of cool hops w/ a slight wheat/hefe aftertaste, hints of banana and white grapes.

MF/D: a smooth start that gives way to a refreshing sizzle of carbonation, certainly doesn't taste like the proclaimed abv...

3.59/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

A- A slightly opaque 24-carat gold with a rich creamy pure white head
S- Classic Belgian Tripel clovi-ness shines through much brighter than the hops, but definitely not in a bad way
T- Very interesting. Reminds me of the bitter cousin of a Japanese Lager. Hops are much more a bittering aspect than anything else.
M- Intensely carbonated yet silky when it first hits the tongue.
Its a good beer. It doesn't strike me as amazing though. It is easy to enjoy. My palate keeps taking me back to a sushi restaurant (on that note, it would probably pair great with most seafood)

4.12/5  rDev -2.1%

Big 'ol silkscreened 750ml bottle with the Chouffe gnome busy picking hops on the front. Pours from the bottle into my tulip glass a beautiful clody goldenrod hue with an erupting, billowing head of bubbly white foam. As the foam falls aromas of lemon zest, cracked pepper, pine needles, fresh cut grass and tropical, citric undertones emerge. A nice vibrant, fresh smell with a touch of yeast.

First sip brings a light fruity maltiness upfront with a nice mix of lemon peel, peppery spiciness and tropical fruits. Hops roll in midway through with a mix of herbal, citrusy, spicy notes. The resinous hops get a little brash on the finish with a nice dose of bitterness. Finishes with a touch of yeast and nice hoppy spiciness on the way down. Tasty!

Mouthfeel is nice and easy going. Good carbonation and a nice creamy sensation as it goes down. Pretty easy to drink as the alcohol is not at all apparent in the brew. Overall this is a tasty, unique, special brew from Achouffe. Not something I see myself drinking all the time, but a nice change of pace. It's fun to see more Belgian brewers embracing the hops. Check this one out if you run across it for sure.

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Sampled at the Brickstore Pub just outside Atlanta tonight...

Hazy bright yellow color. A solid white head on top formed and left beautiful lacing down my glass and even felt the need to hang around on top until the bottom of the glass.

Aroma contained a bit of mustyness. Some pear and clean hoppiness comes through. Flavor was fully of spiciness, some pepper mainly and some other light fruits, pear again and white grapes. Finished with a bit of bitterness and some citrusy hops. I really like this. It really is a blend between an American IPA and a Belgium Triple. Edit: I tasted this a second time the other night and it lacked the impact I tasted initially, still a good brew though.

Mouthfeel is a bit thinish. Finishes dry. Very refreshing though with its spiciness and crispness from the carbonation. Drinkability is superb. I'll really struggled not getting another glass of this tonight. Hopefully I can get a couple bottles to enjoy this at home. Good stuff, definately worth seeking out or making a special trip.

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

I've been looking forward to this beer, and finally got a chance to sample it. It was a cloudy yellow with a thick Belgian head. Some nice lacing. Fragrance was all floral, very pleasant. It had an interesting taste. There was a sweet, citrus taste; a hoppy taste; and a spicy taste. I thought it a little discordant, and am not sure the IPA/Belgian angle works that well. Will have to try it again.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a hazy golden brown with two fingers of pillowy white head. Some yeast is suspended. Head leaves a lot of lacing behind.

Smell is awesome,, combining the best elements of a Belgian yeast and IPA hoppiness. Some sweet malts come through the smell as well.

Taste is crisp and clean, with a great hop presence balanced nicely by sweet malt. Hops dominate however, leaving some nice lingering bitterness.

Great mouthfeel, Realtively light and crisp.

Excellent overall. Clearly the best Belgian IPA I've had.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had been looking forward to trying this one for a while, and I had really no idea what to expect as it was the first beer for me to try in the style. I was surprised by a lot about it. It poured a nice golden color with a thick foamy head. The balance in this beer was tremendous with a nice amount of bitterness and alcohol that was very well-hidden. I shared a bottle with a friend and we both found it highly drinkable.

4.8/5  rDev +14%

Presentation: It was poured from a green 1 pint 9.4oz bottle into a tulip glass. The abv is listed at 9% on the label and there is a nice description on the back.

Appearance: It has a tall three finger thick head. This pillowy off white and long lasting head is sticky and leaves lace rings on the glass with each sip. Under the head I see a hazy golden liquid full of yeast sediment.

Smell: I get floral hops with some fruity esters and funky Belgian yeast on top of pale malt sweetness. It is a funky hop delight!

Taste/Palate: There is a pale malt base with funky yeast and plenty of floral hops with a touch of citrus hops as well. The floral hop flavor and bitterness slowly fades off the tongue in the finish. Lots of soft Champagne like carbonation gives this beer a lively texture in a firm medium body.

Notes: Everything is in good balance with an excellent hop and funky character.

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle from Proof Bottle Shop. Poured into a champagne glass. Tons of really bubbly off-white head with a slightly hazy orangy yellow color. Aroma is sweetly floral, grassy, and touch of yeasty goodness. Taste has a good hop bitterness, some spicyness, and with the same floral notes coming through. Also some light sweet malt and a good amount of the fruity-ness I associated with tripels. Very light on the tongue, but the bubbles and hop spice kinda bite at the tongue. I definitely enjoy this beer!

Always quality, smell, taste and looks.

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured out of a bomber into a tulip glass. Poured slowly, still creating an IMMENSE, frothy, whipped creamy head - unlike any other head I have experienced...even more frothy & thicker than an Old Ruffian. As the beer was going down in the glass, it left an incredible, thick creamy lacing all over the glass. I don;t know if I'd even call it lacing as much as a complete white-out of the glass. What an aesthetic work of art this brew is. Appearance was pretty cloudy, light copper color. Smelled of belgian yeast, tropical fruitiness/citrus, honeydew, and coriander. Taste was complicated, unlike a lot of things I have had before, yet all too familiar. I guess you can definitely call it a Tripel/IPA. The taste reminded me of Westmalle Tripel, tropical fruits and yeast up front, coriander - then the hop bitterness kicks in a bit, but nothing overwhelming. My only beef with the taste of the beer is that the alcohol presence is a little too overwhelming. It subdues a tad, bringing out the fruitiness of the beer, when it warms up a bit, but still is very prevalent. Perhaps this beer would be better aged a year or two imho. The mouthfeel was medium bodied and velvety. Very refreshing with medium carbonation. I may cellar this one and compare/contrast my views.

4.21/5  rDev 0%

Had this one on tap. Bright and clear straw colored beer. Fluffy white head with tight bead, leaving a nice lace on the glass as I drank it. Had a nice citrusy hop smell along with that spicy Belgian yeastiness. Medium bodied, crisp and dry with a good hop bitterness in the finish. A really nice Chouffe that goes donw very easy considering it's 8 or 9% alcohol

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml dark green bottle with no freshness date. Cool looking giant gnome picking hops on the front.

A- Semi-clear pale golden yellow, white head of the gods ... amazing white trail of lace all the way down the glass.

S- Loads of citrusy hops in the nose. Note of chouffe yeast funkiness ... very aromatic.

T&M- Moderate body, light crispness with a long smoothness. Quite bitter upfront ... citric, heavy herbal and tobacco hop flavor. Tight doughy biscuity malt lays underneath, mild kiss of honey like grain as well. Slight warming alcohol with a ghost like tropical fruit. Hint of phenols. Orangey hop finish complements the dry malt flavor in the end.

D- This is one of those epic ales that I will always remember and want to go back to. Right up there with XX Bitter yet a boat load more hops.

4.78/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours hazy bright golden yellow with a billowing snow white head. Lots of Belgian lace. Wonderfully spiced aroma with plenty citrus hop aroma. Sweet candy sugar as well. The tripel character comes through perfect, and the Amarican hop bitterness is very evident. The palate is great. Full, but refreshingly carbonated. Get ya some.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this item at Max's on Casey's advice. A goblet full of bright golden liquid, topped with marshmellow fluff. Not a very bold aroma but nice. Super flavors and great balance, with just the right touch of carbonation to enhance. Smooth, clean, and complex finish with the alcohol heft neatly masked. Incredibly drinkable for all that beer. Wow!

3.61/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured gently into a large goblet, the body is hazed apricot in color, topped by a lavish and frothy vanilla hued head. Retention is excellent and there are massive sheets of lace that drape the goblet. A good looker here!

Aroma opens with tropical fruit esters, coriander, and some floral hops. Solvent alcohol and a distinct whiff of Pinesol ruin what was a very promising bouquet.

Mouthfeel has zesty carbonation and a pleasantly creamy, light medium body.

Taste is dry, spicy hot with pepper, coriander, and alcohol. Some grapefruit and lemonrind are noticed, but on the abrasive side. Belgian yeast makes its presence known and is spicy and earthy. Huge hops bitterness is much too abrasive and overly bitter. The fruitiness suggested by the aroma just doesn't emerge in the taste.

Drinkability is decent, but for the price I will pass on this one next time. There are better, hoppy Belgian ales out there. This one is an interesting effort, but just doesn't work for me. Malt balance is lacking. Doesn't succeed as a morphed Tripel or IPA.

4.68/5  rDev +11.2%

I loved this new one, way to push the envelope D'Achouffe!

A: Large bottle, capped, w/o freshness indication. Pours light yellowy amber, tiny bubbles continuing to rise and semi-cloudy,with a huge white head, rocky, puffy, creamy, crazy stiff meringue thing going on with world class retentive powers and gobs of thick sheeting and wildly impressive lacing

S: Perfumed grainy and oily hops and more hops in the nose for me, pleanty of ripe fruits as well.

T: Big and bold flavors floating all around this one, yeasty, malty but mostly its the drying spicy/peppery hops that I notice on the palate.

M: So smooth and coating, lucious stuff. Big and bold flavors, heady stuff

D: I need more of this nectar, I bought 4 bottles, I hope that this stunner is widely available all year round, go get some and enjoy!

3.68/5  rDev -12.6%

The beer pours a hazy straw color with a white head. The aroma has a bit of wheat, as well as some grass and orange citrus notes. The flavor is very similar. There is a good bit of toffee and wheat, as well as some grass and citrus in the flavor. The bitterness is fairly low, but the spiciness and yeast-like character is quite high. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A nice beer.

to view more.