Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel - Brasserie d'Achouffe

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA TripelHoublon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-13-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,161 | Hads: 2,534

I'm not one prone to hyperbole. My students know that, though I'm not a harsh grader, I rarely ever hand out A's or A+'s. But this is as close to a perfect beer as I've had. The hazy golden-yellow color and medium-thick head simply looks the way beer should look. Inhaling the aromas of hops and hay makes one think of a walk through a Wallonian field in spring. I'm talking some flowers-and-grass-on-a light-breeze shit. Round, delicious hops obviates any comparisons to non-beer flavors. This ale tastes like ale and I mean that in the best way possible.

4.99/5  rDev +18.8%

This is a stylistic ménage a trois that blends together aspects of the English IPA tradition with the more aggressive American Imperial IPAs and Belgian brewing techniques. On the nose yeast driven esters and phenols wrestle with hop fruit and spice flavors over malt bread and sugar aromas. It pours a hazy straw gold with a pillowy 2” or more off-white foam cap that with proper care can perch above the lip of the glass like a fresh meringue. On the palate British IPA fruitiness and grain flavors wrestle with Belgian banana and bubble gum and both confront American DIPA levels of assertive hop bitterness. The beer has the Belgian body, coming across lighter and more digestible than a beer this big should be. The bottled versions are more highly carbonated and the carbonation comes across finer and softer than the tap versions. While the individual components stand out as you drink they come into focus and balance and in the end, by the finish they work surprisingly well. I prefer the 750 ml bottle to the tap version.

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

Presentation: Poured into tulip glass from a 11.2 oz. brown bottle with no best by date.

A: Definitely bottle conditioned as I stirred up a bit too much sediment in the pour. Cloudy pale golden yellow, white head that never dissipates through every sip to the end. Heavy lace all the way down the glass.

S: Loads of citrusy hops, mild spices and floral scents in the nose.

T&M: Medium body, light crispness and very smooth. Slightly sweet and bitter upfront ... heavy citric, herbal hop flavor. Slight warming alcohol. Mild bitter hop finish complements the dry malt flavor in the end.

Excellent tripel. Not sure if I could even say it can be identified as an IPA. Although the hops are definitely more prominent than most other belgian beers. This stuff is great.

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

Oh my God!! Now that they brought this out in 330's in brown bottles I am in heaven. I mean fucking shit; this beer is the shit!! Sorry for the profanities. (I believe those are the 2nd thru 4th swears I've written on this site.)

Anyways, conceptually this right up my alley. And the follow through is spot on! It fills a tulip glass to the rim with a lovely tight stark head which slowly settles into a noodle plateau that lasts throughout. Like the hat of a captain leading a ship past the Siren's this head ain't going anywhere.

One rock sings the fermentation characteristics of a tripel. Spicy, yeasty, fruity and full of life. From the other rock sings the floral high notes and bitter bass of a DIPA. But somehow Chouffe steers clear of the pitfalls of both. The nose is spicy and fruity with a bit of earthy hops in there. It's hard to detect what's hops and what's esters. The flavor brings some bitterness up front followed by pils malt sweetness, slight pineapple and a finsih that allows malt yeast and hops to have syncopated solos. Tastes of honey are left on my lips as I look forward to another bottle. Brown bottle, Amen.

4.95/5  rDev +17.9%

This is an inspired beer. Poured from a 750cl bottle into a Chimay glass. Very cloudy, chunky unfiltered golden liquid. Fluffy cloud of head on top. A handsome beer. Smell is yeasty and fruity. Taste is a nice balance of hops and summer fruit sweetness. Mouthfeel is silky smooth going down. Nice aftertaste. I only regret that I lost about a third of this chilled bottle when I opened it (I had not shaken it and I was very careful opening it). The Gnomes' share I guess.

4.95/5  rDev +17.9%

750 ml dark green bottle with date of 7/7/13 on it. The family loved the bottle with the gnome on the front. We had a slight mishap. The beer was stored on it's side and when I opened it we had a beer fountain. Sadly, I lost about 20% of the bottle, which was a tragedy because I loved this beer!

A- Very cloudy with a nice golden color. Amazing head that just lingered on and left beautiful lacing all the way down.

S- Definite lemony and fresh cut grass aroma, with great hops smell. Just awesome.

T&M-Can't really put it into words. Just get a bottle and you'll see. really, really good.

O-A very enjoyable bottle of beer. I picked this up in Nashua, NH for something like $8.99. What a deal when compared to other 750 ml bottles at up to $4.00 more!

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

On draft at Duvel tasting room. Poured into houblon tulip. Small bubbles but huge white head. High retention.  Sticky soapy lacing. Blond, hazy body. Aroma is fruity, grapefruity and yeasty. Awesome. Taste follows suit with the aromas. One of my favorite beers....ever. Pairs well with most any cheese btw.

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

Purchased at State Line Liquors in Elkton MD.

22oz green silkscreened bottle. yellow label with colorful chouffe character on front. back tells a story about the chouffe traveling through hopfields along with icons of what type of hops used. i take it achouffe is making this after sampling some american IPA's.

A: golden straw yellow. medium carbonation, and enormous dense sticky head. like meringue. literally. absolutely amazing.

S: raw hops abound. slight bready yeasty smell underneath.

T: amazing. raw hops all over. very vegetable like with a certain pine flavor to it. not much for fruity flavors in this guy. it's all hop. big bold and raw. slight cracker like malt underneath all the hop. extremely puckering dry finish. very papery.

M: not as thick as a typical belgian but certainly beer in character. perfectly balanced with a little bit of chew. again, like saltines without the salt.

D: hop heads rejoice! the beer gods have handed down this gem from the frothy heavens! alchohol flavor is not present at all. if you're into hops you'll agree that this beer could be downed all night. lethal!

overall i'm impressed. draws a similar line to urthel's hopit but i think achouffe did alot more things right in this beer than urthel did with hopit. superb hop flavor with that lovely belgian quality and craftsmanship to it.

outstanding. top 3 beer for me.

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

Pours hazy gold with medium head. Aroma is fruity and flora. Taste is complex fruit flavors including dried fruit such as raisins and prunes with nice and strong spicey hop balance. Strong hop bitterness that leaves a very smooth finish. This is a dry beer with the characteristics of an IPA but the complex spicyness of a Tripel.

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

I love this brewery. I love this beer.

This is the best example of this style I have found, and I favor both IPAs and Belgians. If you do to, this is heaven.

Great bottle (25.4 oz), funny back-story.

Pours clean with a perfect head, a little milky, not quite transparent, but I like that. Good head retention.

Smells like a hop garden. Forward aroma hops, floral and sweet. Mingles with a typical candied-apricot and allspice tripel aromas to tickle the nose and watter the mouth.

Exceptional beer. Smooth, complex. Hoppy, but strong enough to balance it. The balance is perfect. Not once did I find myself making the sweet, sour or bitter faces. One big bottle is just the right amount of alcohol, but I want more... dangerous.

Nice and thick the way a Belgian should be. The hops tickle, but don't dry out your tongue.

I could drink this one with on the first day of a three-day hangover. Smooth as silk, every sip gives you something more. Beautiful product.

4.89/5  rDev +16.4%

This one pours a perfect cloudy golden color that has a richness of whitening from within the golden color. The head is thick and white and settles slowly leaving great lacing down the glass.

The nose is Rich malt with spice, citrus, apples, camphor, pine, grass and bread all in the mix. The nose is exquisite.

The taste is sharp and crisp with a nice effervescent experience that coats the palate is bliss. There are notes of fruit and malt subdued by crisp spiced hops that have a pleasant bitter bite and a nice clean finish with hints of apples, citrus, lemon, pine, grass, earthy notes and bready undertones with a nice alcohol warmth to it.

The mouthful is elegant and just right.

Overall a fabulous beer and one to be savored and enjoined. Extremely drinkable and wonderfully complex. I highly recommend this as one you absolutely must try.

4.89/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours a billowing 3/4 glass full head. White head. Lemonaide color. Carbonation and yeasties floating all over the place.Reminds me of the classic game asteroids with the floaties. I am scared of this look. The thick head is leaving 1 inch thick lacing globs all over the glass so for the original apperance of 1.0 just got moved up to 3.0

Smells of classic belgum malts, lemons, and flowers! This just smells fantastic!!! The second smell yields bitter hops and more lemon zest. After 5 minutes I can not taste yet because the thick head is in the way...now it ups the apperance to 3.5

I still do not like the color and yeasties in this beer but here it goess...taste: Hop heaven! Hops with lemon zest. Classic belgum sweetness comes through: Leaves a bitter taste for a long time.
As I tasted this I had to refill the glass some. As I did the NEW head billowed UP 2 inches UP the side rim of the glass. This is the biggest most billowing head of my beer drinking days so far. This aspect just moved the Apperance up to a 4.0, originally from a 1.0 rating.

This beers mouthfull is watery and thin, but the lemon zest and bitter hops leave you totally fulfilled.

There is something about this beer I will remember. It is special to me. It provoked emotions as I tasted this. I like the bottle too!

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

25.4 oz. bottle into a Duvel tulip over a long period of time.

Appearance: A thing of beauty really, with huge clumps, and I mean huge, hanging out around the glass. I've seen only few beers that have been able to do what this is doing. The body is a hazy gold from the yeast, with blasts of bubbles shooting up to the top. Alright, I can stop here, this is good enough for me. Just kidding of course.

Smell: Wisps of Belgian yeast, citrus, and pillowy floral hop qualities blended together in near-perfect harmony. Never did I think a style somewhat blending the nature of the IPA with a Tripel could do so much wondrous and effervescent things for the nose, but that was in the past. Slightly earthy and funky phenols somehow compliment everything in the way that lets them somehow be an accompaniment rather than something that overpowers the aroma. I'm not sure how they did this, but I'm going to enjoy it rather than ponder how.

Taste: First off, this has one of the longest and most complex finishes I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. But I digress. The initial notes are of nutty yeast, a smooth floral meld of citrus from the hops, subtle fruit like cherries and apples with a slight tinge of sourness, mild phenolic funkiness more medicinal than earthy, slight astringent and punchy bitterness, and then a beautiful sweet quality of floral exuberance before the finish, which as I said is extremely long, with the lingering fruit notes, yeast, and citrus hop bitterness, and it's seriously as close to indefatigable as I've ever tasted with a brew.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, crisp, creamy, full, and wonderful. I don't know how it's possible that all those attributes are working together, but they are.

Drinkability: The alcohol recognition really doesn't come into play for me, as the quality and balance of this brew is amazing. Also, at around $9 a bottle, the price range I think is very affordable. It paired very well with my spicy shrimp and penne pasta and made me feel like I was drinking a fine wine with it (when, really, I'd much rather have something like this brew to accompany the dish). I waited way too long to get a bottle of this, so I hope I can find more and stash a bunch away. I'd love to see what happens after some time in the cellar. But damn, this stuff is fantastic and I can't say enough about it.

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Cheers to Ddarden for this one!

Pours golden with a rocky 4 fingers white head.Great head retention & lacing

S: Huge hops aroma & vaniila notes

T: Spicy hops followed by vanilla. Intense fruittyness then lemon notes as it warms. Alcohol notes then assert themselves. Finishes quenching, hoppy & slightly fruitty, may be a little of style but, I'm not sure what I'd call it.

MF: Medium body, spritzy & with superior balance

Drinks too easy, almost a perfect beer IMO, tripple purists may take offense, but I really enjoyed this treat from my favorite belgian brewery!

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

damn. what an amazing beer.

pours like Duvel with an immense ice cream cone head as dense as shaving cream. stands tall above the rim.

aromas are of dryness and a complex blend of subtle spice and candied fruit.

taste is just killer - combinations of honeyed burnt oranges and tropical fruit balanced with hints of drying bitterness without a DIPA edge. lip - smacking sweetness follows and you just gotta have more. WOW.

finish is just as complex and understatedly balanced.

masterstroke of brewing skill.

better on draft IMO.

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured this one from a 750ml bottle. This beer looks like champagne, crazy carbonated (every other bottle will erupt when first opened) and with a thick white head that does not seem to ever fully dissipate. Yum!

The taste and smell are incredibly refreshing a little hoppy but not as much hop boom as one would expect from an IPA. The taste is so well balanced that it only hints at the high 9%ABV that is hidden deep away in this brew...hiding in there with the little gnome I would imagine.

This beer quickly became a favorite for me and my girlfriend. A very well rounded and mature drink. Try it!

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Beatifully mild banana yellow color with a soft hazey glow. Monsterously creamy and tall compacted capping of white, decoratively fopped foam. A thick white blanket of lacing drapes itself across the glass with barely any missing stitches to it. All the while the head itself hardly moves as it unfolds into a sculpted heep of marshmellow mush.

Aroma is approachable by arms length at first pour. Big and lofty with a peppery spice of yeast and dry hops backed by green bananas and old pineapple. Mellows out to be alot more rounded and mellow with a bit more of dullishly soft lemon pie.

Soft, delicate, well rounded flavors ensue and fill the palate quickly with a creamy, fluffy textured delight of banana and lemon pie filling. Frothy candyness with very mild, intriguing citrusy flavors take a place well along the palate as it subsides some into a middling finish of slight peppery spice and hoppy dryness. Its savoriness superseeds its simplicity as it builds and builds with intensely mild, yet fronting froth of maltyness and mellowed candyness. It favors a light warmth late as it cinders like a fading fire with some wonderfully replaced citrus candy thats super milding and fluffy. It tends to create a billowing sense of banana, lemon, and pineaplle as it seeps into the mouth leaving nice little spicyness of pepper hops. The Saaz makes for most of its snap and strength; however is seemingly wiped away by its play of candyish pie filling sweetness. Its quite remarkable in balance through and through. The spice is never over powering, as its ABV is barely evident...

...which seems laughable. The 9% displayed on the 'Gnome sniffing hops' label says nothing to its dimeanor... well actually, at least until late after much of the 750ml has been drained. Then watch out it'll make ya go weee....I'm a Gnome, I'm a Gnome...

The feel is amazingly soft and full with an awesomely foregiving, supple body and warmth of dulled citrusy candy-pie filling. Frothy in texture and one of the most unique in stature that I've not encountered before. Its like liquid pastry. I swear. Its that good.

Fine drinkability. Soft, yielding, delightful, and yummyliscious. It makes a slow settled, sinking impression into the mind with wonderment and awe as it makes me ponder how a beer so good could be so dangerous. I mean it made me say something along the lines of 'savoriness'? C'mon, thats worth something, isn't it? Wow! A lovely, lovely beer. A real winner by Chouffe!

750 ml capped.
Hazy, straw colored. Well carbonated. Foamy mountainous head. Awesome looking beer. Smells strong of floral soft hops (most likely Hallertau). *Be sure to smell it the moment it's poured as it dissipates quickly. Bit more subtle than a "normal" IPA. After a while the yeast aroma really comes through. I don't give it a 5 only because of pungency, which very well have to do with the 3500 mile distance this beer traveled to my glass. Bitterness is solid and suiting. Doesn't scorch at all, quite soft aftertaste. Great grainy flavors in the body. High carbonation lend a pleasant acidity. The booze is remarkably well hidden. Always have, and I probably always will love this beer. Really how I learned to appreciate Belgian beers in general.

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours with enormous fluffy head and outstanding lacing. Body is a cloudy yellow. Complex fruity and hoppy aroma. It is glorious.

The maker of this beer has hit a bullseye. The bitter, citric American hops pair well with the fruity esters and huge malts. You taste the fruit for an instant, then the hops. Fruit, hops, and so on and so on. Mouthfeel is incredibly thick, creamy, and foamy. The alcohol is barely perceived, drinkability is perfect.

4.87/5  rDev +16%

I've had this beer so much and I still prefer it from the bottle, so here is an overdue re-review. Considering I had bottle and on tap reviews of this in the past. By far I still prefer it out of the bottle. Poured out of the bottle into a tall Belgian Pils official Houblon Chouffe glass. This really makes the beer.

The appearance is still amazing. Gold orange to lemon colored body, opaque, some cola rising carbonation that trickles all the way up to a big off white almost tan/orange head, big and frothy. The head appearance on this beer is easily one of the most impressive Belgian beers heads I've ever seen. It clumps and laces like rock candy in a glass, creamy and thick retention. Just amazing looking, it is though, with it's opacity just a hair hazy.

A classic aroma of floral hops, juiced tangerine oranges, and Belgian candy sugar. Large, but not even hinting at booze or alcohol. It has great orange sensing Cointreau and tripel sec and floral perfume. Smells like liqueur, but without the huge alcohol blast.

Palate is so creamy and rich. It's a solid recent brown bottle and feels full of floral aromatics. Creamed icing sugar, mild hop bitterness, and a big aromatic hop mix of tangerine and florals. Baked dough bread, and bakery sweetness of classic Belgian character. Just a hint of booze in the stomach but not on the palate. The mouthfeel is perfect, it's crisp, creamy, coating, all these things that somehow would seem contradictory in a beer itself, but it's there.

I still to this day, love this beer to death, having had it so many times, I just can't get enough of it. It's such a great staple I'll never tire of it, and luckily isn't that hard to find either.

-- OLD Review (with previous bottle long since removed) 07-05-2011 Poured on tap at Pizza Paradiso Dupont DC into a tulip glass.

A gorgeous lemon bodied orb of yellow glowing and dense and opaque. White simple foamy capy with a look of cream. Body rising carbonation of slow rising white little specks dancing through the body, sticky spider like lacing while drinking. We just might have perfection here..

Compared to out of the bottle this was served I think a bit too cold and it shows. Nose is completely muted, but still maintains that great floral nose and grass. Some of the sweetness and crispness is missing it seems. Smells better as it warms up.

Once again on taste crispness and varied play missing, Dense bodied still and mild sweet floral hop aromatics of floral and grassy hop. Slight bread on the finish, missing sweetness.

Still overall this on tap is a great drink, but I was expecting magic compared to out of the bottle. Served too cold for my tastes, but still a great and personal favorite beer of mine.

4.87/5  rDev +16%

The best of both worlds is present in this IPA. The citrus notes of a classic Belgium Ale are followed by the intense hops you would expect from an American IPA with a clean finish thanks to the alcohol. Great for a sipping beer, but it is best cold. Other reviews have noted the lacing and head retention, but seeing is believing for this one. Definately worth your time.

4.87/5  rDev +16%

Had this on-tap at a bar in Amsterdam in December. I had never had it and I chose it at random, but I was not disappointed. It was served in the Chouffe glass - pours very cloudy, with a thick head. Great smells of citrus - lots of lemon. Very drinkable for a beer with such high alcohol content. Very complex, but balanced, good hop flavor balanced by the citrus. Overall, an exceptional beer, so much so, I ordered another one. I was very happy to find it in my local liquor store on Columbus St in Boston.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Can I please shout to the world that I love this beer? I love this beer! A friend of mine got this one night and let me try it. I had already had *cough* a few, and was like: "Hey, that's not bad!" However, it wouldn't leave my mind. Its like after you've talked to a beautiful woman, or man if that's your thing, and you dwell on them. So I got my own bottle of this as soon as I could find it.

She pours a faint orange, and always has a nice, frothy white head. She smells like a wonderful bouquet of citrus with a number of spices underneath. Her taste is utterly unique with a variety of spice and hops. There is an initial sweetness followed by a bite. If there is one criticism, and I promise I still love you baby!, it is that, for my tastes, she is slightly too bubbly. Plus, she is a beer that you won't drink a ton of because of her amazing powers and taste.

Bottom Line: Try this beer if you have not! I don't care how much it costs you, try it.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

I picked up a single 750ml bottle of this Brasserie d'Achouffe offering almost as an after-thought as I left Harry's Wine & Liquor in Fairfield, CT. After reading the label, it dawned on me that this might be a unique (and possibly perfect) marriage of two of my favorite styles of beer. Besides, I hadn't seen it on the West Coast yet.
Okay, use a chalice. Pour gently. Watch gargantuan white head build up to ridiculous height over the lip of the glass. Break a sweat that some may spill. Relax as the head neatly sits atop a cloudy golden brew before slooowwwly caving in on itself, leaving large chunks of sticky lace all over the glass.
Take a sniff. Get immediate heady rush of oily hops and peppery spice. DIPA, meet triple. Triple, meet DIPA. Got a sweet fruity aroma prowling around in the background. Smells wonderful.
Take a small taste. Wow, very lush, creamy feel. Hell with this, take a bigger pull. Get that charge of floral hops mingling with a yeasty maltiness and slowly surfacing tropical fruit flavors. Finishes strong with another barrage of hops, this time more herbal, and a spicy kick that harkens to it's triple ancestry. Alcohol is there but not a detractor. Long, lingering hops aftertaste and a couple satisfactory hops burps are a salute to the DIPA heritage.
As for drinkability, this was off-the-chart for me. The bottle was emptying at an alarming rate until I reined my tastebuds in. The brewers at d'Achouffe have produced a sublime brew that, on the surface, doesn't seem to possibly work. However, the elements co-exist beautifully and make for a standout hybrid. I wish I'd had more room in my backpack for this liquid gold.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Crazy interesting to say the least. The head just sits there for minutes like a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Wonderfully smooth, complex hints of citrus at first, then as it warms the banana releases from the yeast. The alcohol is subtle, and the finish is crispy and bold. I would suggest this beer for anybody who like me has a wary view of IPAs, but these Belgians have constructed a fine tripel that just wants to be enjoyed. The fullness of the look in the glass, slightly cloudy, bekons for the adventure ahead. Not sure how I missed this fine beer for so long, but glad we found each other.

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel from Brasserie d'Achouffe