Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel - Brasserie d'Achouffe

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA TripelHoublon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-13-2006

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,387 | Reviews: 1,127

A: hazy, straw, golden

S: lemon, a little dankness from the hops

T: strong, tart and hippy

M: bite upfront with a smooth finish

O: great beer. Refreshing but has some bite. I'm sentimental about anything chouffe since they made the first Belgian beer that I loved

4.25/5  rDev +1%

I've had my eye on this one for a long time as I'm a huge fan of the style but for whatever reason, the Houblon Chouffe has always eluded me. Poured from a 750 ml green bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Pours a nice, bright golden color with a huge head that hardly lets me get anything into the glass. This is probably the biggest head I've seen on any beer. The head recedes slowly leaving some nice traces of lacing that look enticingly sticky.

Smell: The hops and Belgian yeast work together beautifully in the scent. The hops are definitely the biggest presence, though, producing an inviting fruity aroma.

Taste: The hops are again the strongest presence in the taste, this time with the Saaz taking the lead role. A very bitter beer with a notably bitter finish. Somewhere in the middle, though, you can make out some trademark Belgian yeast tastes and some graininess. Make no mistake, though, this is a very hop-forward brew.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated and a little on the lighter side. Could have a little more body to it and more subtle finish, but really this just enhances the drinkability.

Drinkability: Pretty high in this brew. You'd never guess there was 9% ABV in this brew. Very nice drinking brew and this 750 ml bottle will go down quickly.

Overall, this is a very solid brew from a solid brewery. I am a hop head that loves Belgians so the Belgian IPA is one of my favorite styles and this is one of the beers that I think helped put it on the map. I have to say, though, that the Urthel Hop-It I enjoyed a couple days ago was a clearly superior brew, in my opinion. I hate to knock the brew, but since I had the two in such a sort period of time, it's easy to compare them. Still, this is definitely a tasty beer worth trying.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Poured this baby into my 33 cl Chouffee tulip.

Before actually pouring this brew, I popped the cap off without any agitation, and the beer gushed out all over the place. I literally lost at least one third of the contents in the 75 cl sized bottle.

Ap: The color of this brew is golden and hazy, with a mount of pillowy white head.

Ar: Lemony, spicy, arid clean.

T: Lemony, residual sugar, some white grape.

F: Mildly carbonated (lots lost in the gush), oily, a little warming in the end.

O: A great tasting beer... Just a little pissed of about the gushing!

4.25/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +1%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel from Brasserie d'Achouffe