1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel - Brasserie d'Achouffe

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA TripelHoublon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-13-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel Alström Bros

Marc33, Dec 22, 2011

Hellpop65, Sep 01, 2014

mhbarber, Jun 09, 2013

korene84, Apr 05, 2013
2.1/5  rDev -50.1%

after looking at the other reviews i might have had a bad bottle, but,

A big soft white head with tight bubbles, very clear yellow beer with a macro brew coloring.

Little nose, vegitation, lemon soap

Bitter in a bad way, sour, lemon rind, tannins

perfect carbination, thinner than expected mouth feel

I reluctantly finished this expensive bottle. I had high hopes this would be something like a belgian "meantime" very disapointing.

suburbeer, Jan 22, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -44.2%

750 ml bottle into Duvel tulips.

Appearance- light, golden color, thick, tall white head. Pretty text-book "Belgian pale" look.

Smell- hoppy, with lots of citrus notes. Also a slight musk, reminiscent of skunk cabbage.

Taste- dry, crisp hops fade into a cirtusy, hoppy middle with a hint of malt sweetness. Swallow is clean, and aftertaste is minimal. In a Belgian IPA, I was expecting more balance than this, but the hops are running the show, and if there are any other flavors here, they aren't able to fight their way through. As the aftertaste builds up, it turns from a slight bitterness to a full on I-need-to-brush-my-teeth assmouth effect.

Mouthfeel- again, exactly what you expect from the stlye, no more and no less.

Drinkability- low, I don't find this enjoyable. I poured it out, and will be complaining to the guy who recommended it to me. He often refuses to sell beers he thinks are too old, so I don't think this was a skunked bottle.

WalrusJockey, Dec 30, 2008
2.38/5  rDev -43.5%

A: Golden haze with massive amounts of floaters. Very high carbo- this bottle actually exploded on me so only half the bottle is left. Very clingy horizontal layers of lacing down the glass.

S: Grassy and yeast aromas.

T&M: To me this is just a yeast bomb. Not very balanced. There may be other flavors going on here but I'm having trouble getting past all the yeast. There are some base hop flavors, but nothing interesting. There is an oiliness to the mouthfeel that makes this just stick to your palatte.

D: I'm not really impressed with this one. Forgive my ignorance, but is this supposed to be an IPA or a tripel? Either way it sucks as both. I'm always partial to crisp ales but this reminds me of all the worst elements of brew: hops but no character, yeast but no flavor.

I would have smoked this even more, but I'm trying hard to be fair despite being pissed that I'm still wiping beer off me and the rug.

dino213aa, Oct 25, 2008
2.45/5  rDev -41.8%

Purchased an Australian Longneck from BevMo in San Jose, CA and poured into my Chimay Chalice. A sticker is affixed to the back of the bottle with the numbers 83497 on it. I am not sure if this is from the brewer, distributor or store. It may be insignificant/nominal.

Very carbonated. Despite settling, it did leak upon cracking it. A huge inch white fizzy head after a gentle pour. Very cloudy goldish/orange/yellow color. So cloudy that I can't tell if there are small floaters of carbonation bubbles hanging around. Superb head retention. Strong, snowy lacing.

Smells of good yeast, dank bread, and mild spicy/floral hops. Little malt character. Some hints of citrus fruits. Despite the Amarillo, Tomahawk and Saaz hops added (as per listed on the bottle), this has only a mild hop aroma.

A bit too yeasty for my liking. More of a personal taste thing I guess. I wish it was a bit more balanced. Again, the hops are there, but I am left wanting more of them.

The mouth is thick and creamy. The viscosity of this one leaves a mouth-coating aftertaste for days. Those really must have been floaters in there. A bit too heavy on the carbonation. Medium to full bodied.

ibbjamin, Oct 15, 2008
2.48/5  rDev -41.1%

Served on tap in a .2L Houblon Chouffe flute glass.

Very pretty, nice orange color with a big white head. Smelled of wonderful hops with some belgian yeast funk as expected. Taste was like grapefruit juice gone bad. The citrus hops mixed with the chouffe yeast created a flavor that started good and finished poorly.

I had no interest in having a second one. I like Tripels, I like IPAs, I dont think they mix well. Or, maybe they would with more earthy hops instead of the citrusy.

rlcoffey, Jan 26, 2009

Anatole, Sep 19, 2013

thejr24, Jul 12, 2014

hawkmage, Dec 31, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -40.6%

Lots of sediment present in this pour making it very cloudy and hazy.... Pretty decent head though....

Dank earthy skunky hops with a load of Belgian yeast... This is skunked for sure... Sigh....

Skunked hops... Deep funky skunk too... Hops are earthy and musty.... Disappointing..

I grow weary of these damn green bottles.... Not sure of the last time I've had a beer in a green or clear bottle that wasn't skunked in some manner... What a letdown...

Tilley4, Jan 13, 2011
2.6/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I had a lot of expactation for that beer. I like IPAs, I like belgian triples, I like belgian IPAs but I didnt like that beer.

The overall smell is like an ipa but as soon as you take a sip, you expect either yeast or hop (or even both) but it did not get to that. You can surely taste noble hops but it fade realy soon.

If you dont have expectation, try it. If you're a hophead, there a lot of belgian ipas on the market,...

Triat00, Jun 02, 2014
2.6/5  rDev -38.2%

Bomber poured in Duvel tulip glass

A: Hazy golden, can't see through it. Great head and lacing.
S: Herbal grassy hops
T&M: Disappointing. I am not overly familiar with this style besides maybe Piraat.. BUT.. Sort of a one-note tune. Bitter but with little flavor, overly crisp.. flavors of apple, pepper, bitter grassy pale and almost medicinal hops. I even want to add, somewhat metallic taste too.. high ABV warms the throat but I don't feel like it is welcomed..not too enjoyable for me maybe my palate isn't ready for this one!? But I do not dig this one..
D: Ehhh, I finished my first glass and I'll finish the bottle.. but this won't be something I will bother with

JVEyck309, May 11, 2009
2.68/5  rDev -36.3%

A= Pours a fizzy yellow color with a nice big white head thats got big ol bubbles and some decent retention to it. Spotty lacing.

S= Geez. Tons of skunk. Damn green bottles. People say you shouldn't review beers that have obviously gone bad but I disagree. This beer smells skunky as hell and I blame the green bottle. Buried deeper than the skunk I get basic tripel smells that actually aren't half bad. Nice yeast spicyness from it and a small hop character. Not real bad and if you look past the skunk and really bury your nose you get some pretty nice tripel smells from it.

T= Luckily the taste isn't nearly as skunky as the smell was. It still does have skunk to it however. It has a nice tripel taste to it nothing really great but then there is a bit of residual sweetness. Sort of a sugar water sweetness to it. The hops are missing almost completely only a bit of bitterness on the finish.

M= Super dry. One of the dryest beers I've ever tasted. Dry to the point of desert powder dry.

D= I wish this bottle wasn't skunked. Again like I said I know some people think that a beer shouldn't be reviewed when it has an obvious flaw but I disagree. This beer wasn't that bad when you look past some of the flaws but even under that it just isn't that great.

jjanega08, Mar 13, 2010

nosavingsaccount, Jun 11, 2012

JoeyRamone, Mar 22, 2012

KoeSpa, Jul 25, 2014
2.83/5  rDev -32.8%

Picked up by my wife because she thought the little guy was cute on the front. Poured into a tulip that does not have a cool or popular brewer's logo on it.

The beer looks and smells beautiful. The color is much lighter than expected, nice and gold. As already mentioned the head is brilliant. A normal pour resulted in the tulip being half beer and half head.

Taste was dissapointing. Drinks like a 5% pilsner with barely a hint of alcohol and a dissapointing finish. I think this beer does not travel well, as it is currently summer here in the US and the bottle is pale green. Why oh why would a brewer work hard than bottle in a green bottle and send his product 1/2 way around the world? I would love to try it in Belgium, I bet its fantastic. Will try again but my hopes aren't too high.

AdamHart22, Aug 04, 2012