Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel - Brasserie d'Achouffe

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA TripelHoublon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-13-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,161 | Hads: 2,536
2.19/5  rDev -47.9%

after looking at the other reviews i might have had a bad bottle, but,

A big soft white head with tight bubbles, very clear yellow beer with a macro brew coloring.

Little nose, vegitation, lemon soap

Bitter in a bad way, sour, lemon rind, tannins

perfect carbination, thinner than expected mouth feel

I reluctantly finished this expensive bottle. I had high hopes this would be something like a belgian "meantime" very disapointing.

2.42/5  rDev -42.4%

A: Golden haze with massive amounts of floaters. Very high carbo- this bottle actually exploded on me so only half the bottle is left. Very clingy horizontal layers of lacing down the glass.

S: Grassy and yeast aromas.

T&M: To me this is just a yeast bomb. Not very balanced. There may be other flavors going on here but I'm having trouble getting past all the yeast. There are some base hop flavors, but nothing interesting. There is an oiliness to the mouthfeel that makes this just stick to your palatte.

D: I'm not really impressed with this one. Forgive my ignorance, but is this supposed to be an IPA or a tripel? Either way it sucks as both. I'm always partial to crisp ales but this reminds me of all the worst elements of brew: hops but no character, yeast but no flavor.

I would have smoked this even more, but I'm trying hard to be fair despite being pissed that I'm still wiping beer off me and the rug.

2.43/5  rDev -42.1%

750 ml bottle into Duvel tulips.

Appearance- light, golden color, thick, tall white head. Pretty text-book "Belgian pale" look.

Smell- hoppy, with lots of citrus notes. Also a slight musk, reminiscent of skunk cabbage.

Taste- dry, crisp hops fade into a cirtusy, hoppy middle with a hint of malt sweetness. Swallow is clean, and aftertaste is minimal. In a Belgian IPA, I was expecting more balance than this, but the hops are running the show, and if there are any other flavors here, they aren't able to fight their way through. As the aftertaste builds up, it turns from a slight bitterness to a full on I-need-to-brush-my-teeth assmouth effect.

Mouthfeel- again, exactly what you expect from the stlye, no more and no less.

Drinkability- low, I don't find this enjoyable. I poured it out, and will be complaining to the guy who recommended it to me. He often refuses to sell beers he thinks are too old, so I don't think this was a skunked bottle.

2.49/5  rDev -40.7%

Lots of sediment present in this pour making it very cloudy and hazy.... Pretty decent head though....

Dank earthy skunky hops with a load of Belgian yeast... This is skunked for sure... Sigh....

Skunked hops... Deep funky skunk too... Hops are earthy and musty.... Disappointing..

I grow weary of these damn green bottles.... Not sure of the last time I've had a beer in a green or clear bottle that wasn't skunked in some manner... What a letdown...

2.53/5  rDev -39.8%

Purchased an Australian Longneck from BevMo in San Jose, CA and poured into my Chimay Chalice. A sticker is affixed to the back of the bottle with the numbers 83497 on it. I am not sure if this is from the brewer, distributor or store. It may be insignificant/nominal.

Very carbonated. Despite settling, it did leak upon cracking it. A huge inch white fizzy head after a gentle pour. Very cloudy goldish/orange/yellow color. So cloudy that I can't tell if there are small floaters of carbonation bubbles hanging around. Superb head retention. Strong, snowy lacing.

Smells of good yeast, dank bread, and mild spicy/floral hops. Little malt character. Some hints of citrus fruits. Despite the Amarillo, Tomahawk and Saaz hops added (as per listed on the bottle), this has only a mild hop aroma.

A bit too yeasty for my liking. More of a personal taste thing I guess. I wish it was a bit more balanced. Again, the hops are there, but I am left wanting more of them.

The mouth is thick and creamy. The viscosity of this one leaves a mouth-coating aftertaste for days. Those really must have been floaters in there. A bit too heavy on the carbonation. Medium to full bodied.

2.58/5  rDev -38.6%

Served on tap in a .2L Houblon Chouffe flute glass.

Very pretty, nice orange color with a big white head. Smelled of wonderful hops with some belgian yeast funk as expected. Taste was like grapefruit juice gone bad. The citrus hops mixed with the chouffe yeast created a flavor that started good and finished poorly.

I had no interest in having a second one. I like Tripels, I like IPAs, I dont think they mix well. Or, maybe they would with more earthy hops instead of the citrusy.

2.61/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I had a lot of expactation for that beer. I like IPAs, I like belgian triples, I like belgian IPAs but I didnt like that beer.

The overall smell is like an ipa but as soon as you take a sip, you expect either yeast or hop (or even both) but it did not get to that. You can surely taste noble hops but it fade realy soon.

If you dont have expectation, try it. If you're a hophead, there a lot of belgian ipas on the market,...

2.64/5  rDev -37.1%

Bomber poured in Duvel tulip glass

A: Hazy golden, can't see through it. Great head and lacing.
S: Herbal grassy hops
T&M: Disappointing. I am not overly familiar with this style besides maybe Piraat.. BUT.. Sort of a one-note tune. Bitter but with little flavor, overly crisp.. flavors of apple, pepper, bitter grassy pale and almost medicinal hops. I even want to add, somewhat metallic taste too.. high ABV warms the throat but I don't feel like it is welcomed..not too enjoyable for me maybe my palate isn't ready for this one!? But I do not dig this one..
D: Ehhh, I finished my first glass and I'll finish the bottle.. but this won't be something I will bother with

2.67/5  rDev -36.4%

A= Pours a fizzy yellow color with a nice big white head thats got big ol bubbles and some decent retention to it. Spotty lacing.

S= Geez. Tons of skunk. Damn green bottles. People say you shouldn't review beers that have obviously gone bad but I disagree. This beer smells skunky as hell and I blame the green bottle. Buried deeper than the skunk I get basic tripel smells that actually aren't half bad. Nice yeast spicyness from it and a small hop character. Not real bad and if you look past the skunk and really bury your nose you get some pretty nice tripel smells from it.

T= Luckily the taste isn't nearly as skunky as the smell was. It still does have skunk to it however. It has a nice tripel taste to it nothing really great but then there is a bit of residual sweetness. Sort of a sugar water sweetness to it. The hops are missing almost completely only a bit of bitterness on the finish.

M= Super dry. One of the dryest beers I've ever tasted. Dry to the point of desert powder dry.

D= I wish this bottle wasn't skunked. Again like I said I know some people think that a beer shouldn't be reviewed when it has an obvious flaw but I disagree. This beer wasn't that bad when you look past some of the flaws but even under that it just isn't that great.

2.93/5  rDev -30.2%

Picked up by my wife because she thought the little guy was cute on the front. Poured into a tulip that does not have a cool or popular brewer's logo on it.

The beer looks and smells beautiful. The color is much lighter than expected, nice and gold. As already mentioned the head is brilliant. A normal pour resulted in the tulip being half beer and half head.

Taste was dissapointing. Drinks like a 5% pilsner with barely a hint of alcohol and a dissapointing finish. I think this beer does not travel well, as it is currently summer here in the US and the bottle is pale green. Why oh why would a brewer work hard than bottle in a green bottle and send his product 1/2 way around the world? I would love to try it in Belgium, I bet its fantastic. Will try again but my hopes aren't too high.

2.93/5  rDev -30.2%

I was pretty excited to try this since it combines two of my favorite styles, so I went into it with pretty high expectations. Huge head almost looks like a root beer float, thick enough that I even dipped my finger in and tried the foam, which was very hoppy by the way.

The aroma is pretty much what you would expect, syrupy and yeasty malt from a trippel, and hoppy from a DIPA. The hops were quite skunky and resinous, as opposed to a more floral or citrus smell.

The taste was initially like a trippel, yeasty syrupy malt that was a little spicy, followed quickly by an array of hop flavors, mainly perfume-like resinous and floral flavors, with a little citrus flavor. As the beer when on though I had a harder and harder time with it. When the novelty of the combination started wearing off, I did not like the overall feel of the beer. A very pine-like and resinous hop flavor started to dominate the beer in the finish that I was having a hard time stomaching with the thicker Belgian malt. After trying this beer, I feel like DIPAs need a sweeter malt to balance the bitterness from the hops, not a thick starchy syrup malt. There were some good darker fruit flavors that came through from the combination of the sweetness in the malt and the tartness from the hops, but as a whole, I was not too impressed with the taste of this beer.

The mouthfeel was a bit dry from the resinous hops, it wasn't sticky at all from the malt.

The drinkability, for me, was way down since it found the flavor so trying. I appreciate the creativity of this beer, but I just felt like it was the wrong combination of styles, and at least of hops. I want to try a something like this with more citrus flavored hops and less pine-like ones.

2.94/5  rDev -30%

The liquid in the bottle looked so infested with sediment, but it settled nicely. Darker yellow body with huge foamy white head.

Lots of sour funk accented by citric hops. the orange and lemon hop flavors really work well with the acidic sour notes. I like it.

The taste is all sweet malt at first.I tried to find any sort of flavor, but I get nothing. no funk, no hops, no yeast esters. Nothing, at all. Super powdery sweet, with nothing to accent it. Rather disappointing for what should be (and sounds like) a fantastic beer.

2.98/5  rDev -29%

Houblon smells mainly of cloves, bananas, and oranges, with just a hint of grapefruit at the edges to warn of a larger amount of hops.

The taste is a strange combination of pure Belgian, with the standard flavors of that style--a base of bananas and cloves, with extra-sugary pear, apple, and white grape mixed in--and a strong IPA, the hops adding a significant grapefruit rind whang and bitterness to the mix that both plays off of the Belgian fruit flavors (making the beer almost mixed-fruit cocktail like), and somewhat counters them, as the melange of fruits brings out hints of pineapple that don't mix well. The alcohol (9% ABV) is not fully hidden by these fruit flavors, and so the brew has a vodka-like tint at the very edges, which only adds to the sensation that this is more cocktail than beer. Mouthfeel is a silky, sugary medium, and carbonation is somewhere between medium-high and high, though as my bottle foamed over for several minutes after opening, I couldn't get an accurate base.

Overall, while I like the attempt that was made to combine Belgian and IPA flavors, in this case the result was less than perfect.

A: Pours a hazy honey color with 3 fingers of white head that recedes into a layer of foam on top. Unfortunately I see some floaties. Does that mean it's past freshness?

S: Not much going on here. A faint hop aroma, some alcohol, slight hint of spice.

T: A slightly spicy/hop mix of flavor hits first, followed by a grassy and slightly bitter aftertaste, but overall one note and uninspiring.

M: Thick, bubbly, warms well.

O: Nothing interesting about this one. I wonder if the floaties mean it's past it's due date or if it's just natural for the beer to have it. Also, I'm not sure if this is a tripel, or a belgian IPA, or a dubbel, or what? Definitely won't buy again.

3.02/5  rDev -28.1%

Reviewed 8/8/2008 (bottle):

Foam & head everywhere! Extremely foamy, even opening after warming for a bit. Very cloudy, golden body. Big foamy white head, somewhat lasting. Belgian flowery aroma. Some graininess, slight amount of alcohol, some spices. Watery taste, light flowery taste, some spice. Weakish for 9%. Very light flavor, watery.

3.1/5  rDev -26.2%

A: hazy medium gold to light orange in color. There's lots of small floaties. There was a 2 finger white fluffy head. There is excellent head retention and lacing.

S: There's a lot of floral and citrus hops. Actually this beer probably has the most floral aroma of any IPA I've had.

T: The initial taste is fine and consists of lemon zest, The aftertaste is pretty gross, with lots of chalkiness and astringency.

M: The beer is overcarbonataed and has a poor aftertaste, the viscosity though is ok.

D: I won't be spending 12 dollars for a bomber of this again.

3.11/5  rDev -26%

750 ml bottle with no date.

Pours out a striking brass tone with lively carbonation, a wavy, fluffy head, and impressive lacing. Nose has a lot of grain, alcohol, spicy yeast, and some citrus and herbal hops tones. I also get some candy-ish sweet tones and light stone fruits. Flavor begins sweet with a hefty amount of pale malt and some graininess. Some citrus and floral flavors come to the fore along with a backing of yeast spices. Finishes still dry and with quite a bit of bitterness. Grain just stays on into the aftertaste. Sweetness and booze just seems to come out more as this warms. Mouthfeel is a little sticky and slick for me, but the carbonation is pleasant and the weight of the beer on the tongue is acceptable. This is a decent beer, but I don't think everything meshes well. I'd much rather a De Ranke XX.

3.15/5  rDev -25%

A: Golden hazy, and choc full of sediment. This is the second variety I've had from this brewery in the 12oz bottle that I've had trouble keeping the sediment out of my glass. So, my perception of color maybe off from loads of sediment suspended throughout my glass. The head is fluffy, nice retention, and leaves lacey legs on the glass.

S: a sharp lemon scent leads the aroma, but there is also a sugary backbone.

T: also lemon - a bit like Pledge. The citrus tone just seemed like artificial flavoring. It then goes into floral hops and yeast. The last taste in the mouth is a faint licorice.

M: medium body, fine carbonation, and sharp bitterness.

3.16/5  rDev -24.8%

750 ml green glass (bleh!) bottle with standard pressure cap served into a 25cl N'Ice Chouffe beerflute in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Served refrigerator cold. Expectations are relatively high given the brewery, but the style is suspect. Best before date is "End 2012" - strange for an IPA. I bought it in October 2011 (At Wally's Wine in Westwood, California).

On a presentation note, green glass is inexcusable.

A: Pours a three finger head of slight cream, fair thickness, and amazing retention (especially for 9.0%). I'm impressed with the retention. It's a rather foamy head, with a visual texture akin to candy floss. Colour is a cloudy yellow. Lots of swirling bubbles indicate adequate carbonation. No yeast particles are visible. Semitransparent. Very fresh looking and appealing.

Sm: A fresh floral light hop aroma with pleasant orange peel. A bit yeasty. A mild strength aroma.

T: A pleasant malty foundation over the top of which sits a mild smittering of light hops. The hops never finish too bitter. It's a bit buttery, helping both the taste and mouthfeel. (I'd even go so far as to say it might pair well with popcorn). The malts resolve smoothly and tingly yet aren't quite as potent and thick as you might expect from a Tripel (also no candi sugar comes through). It's as though they used crystal malt instead of Belgian candi sugar and added hops to reduce a golden Tripel to a yellow pale ale. It's definitely pleasant, but I don't know that I'd go so far as to call it refreshing. A bad malty note (akin to the way malt is handled in most Spanish lagers) is present right on the finish, and feels stale compared with the rest of the otherwise well balanced flavours.

Mf: Smooth and dry, with a bit of stale tingly character on the climax and finish - sort of a failed hop coarseness that really bothers me. I don't know what's causing this but I don't like it. I'd like it more wet and a bit more slick.

Dr: Highly drinkable for the ABV in spite of its mouthfeel problem. It features some pleasant flavours that are balanced well, and feels quite experimental, but it never reaches a level of being unique or special. I might try it on draught in Belgium, but it's not anywhere near good enough to consider paying a high price for as an import again. This brewery has better beers.

3.23/5  rDev -23.1%

750 ml bottle served in a snifter, reviewed live:

(I too had the fountain effect out of the bottle when I opened, which is a bit frustrating if it's a common problem)

A - Pours a murky, honey golden color with 3.5 fingers of white, soapy head. Retention is amazingly good given the high ABV. Pretty appealing.

S - Yeast (albeit lighter than I was hoping), citrus, perfume, clove, banana, and other light spice, Very light hops presence given the style.

T - The hops are present throughout, though never overbearing or overly bitter, though they're far from fresh. The yeast is surprisingly mild as well. I'd like more of it. Fruity esters abound. It almost seems a bit watery. it's balanced quite well, through it's a disappointment overall. No alcohol is perceivable.

M - Light to medium bodied, smooth through the finish which is a bit dry. Not ideal at all for a tripel (or an IPA for that matter).

D - This one drinks like a decent tripel with some stale hops notes. Totally disappointed, especially for the price (and the fact that half of it spilled on the counter).

3.23/5  rDev -23.1%

11.2oz. bottle served into a tulip glass

Pours a very hazy Mikado Yellow color - golden yellow with a sort of mustard center. Some fine yeast particles on the first pour, larger clumps with the second. A small white film of foam forms with unique lacing that clings to the glass in tiny pinpricks. Second pour yields a much larger head - three fingers worth. Good looking beer overall, minus the ridiculous yeast haze in the last half of the bottle.

Very hoppy nose up front. Not a lot of bracing West Coast citrus scents, though the orange that signifies Amarillo is dominant. You can definitely make out the clean, noble aroma of Saaz as well. Some sugary esters. Some phenolic character. The malt seems in line with an English IPA moreso than a Belgian ale. Though solid, this doesn't wow me. It is certainly American IPA-inspired but I have smelled much better Belgian IPAs.

I'm also not really impressed with the flavor of this beer. I was expecting something at least worthy of a 4.0. What this beer fails to do is cohere; there's no unity of vision here. I get some biscuit malt, some Belgian candi sugar, some phenolic aloe vera flavor, bubblegum esters, lots of orange, lots of noble hop character, lots of grass. Awkward finish or pear and pine. It tastes like a tripel too aggressively hopped for its own good, and it tastes on other sips like an IPA with too much phenolic character. The good Belgian IPAs I've had marry the differences between Belgian pales and IPAs while this beer leaves those differences apart, I feel.

Solid mouthfeel; it is thicker than I prefer a member of the IPA family to be, but the triple-like flavors demand a thicker body. Drinkability is average at best. It isn't particularly refreshing and it clocks in a whopping 9% ABV.

I'm rarely flat-out disappointed in a beer, but Houblon Chouffe disappointed me. This is a favorite beer of so many people and I can't tell why. Maybe this bottle is poor, or perhaps the beer is better in the 750mL form (more room for the yeast to do its thang). This is a decent beer, but there are other Belgian IPAs that I'd reach for instead.

3.31/5  rDev -21.2%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy rich golden color. Carbonations is strong and head retention is exactly as I would expect in a Belgian. Thick puffy white foam with ridiculous amounts of lacing.

Aroma: Smells faintly like hops. Citrus maybe even a bready yeasty character. Surprisingly, even as the beer continued to warm further aromas didn't develop.

Taste: Pale sweet malts and candi sugar help to balance what I think is a poorly balanced beer. Hop notes are slightly tangy and sticky with some spice of the Saaz. I found that the bitterness maybe from yeast inclusion or just hop bill was chalky and harsh with an odd lingering flavor.

Mouthfeel: Bitter and full. Lingering and slightly harsh. Alcohol burn in the throat become more pronounced as the beer warms.

Drinkability: This is what disappointed me. I love IPA and all though I have little experience with Belgian IPA, I felt that the brewer was just trying to burn my palate with bitterness (that came off harsh) and didn't tap into the American sense of flavor, aroma, and bittering that make IPA so wonderful. I drank the bottle but with the high alcohol and the lingering mouth feel I wouldn't have had any more.

3.33/5  rDev -20.7%

I picked this one to see what a Belgian IPA was. This was a cloudy yellow beer with lots of floaty yeasties in it. The smell was nondescript. The taste was a little citrus hops but still mostly belgian yeast in flavor. Interesting concept but calling it a "Dobbelen IPA" was very misleading. There is nothing DIPA about this beer. The only thing this beer had in common with a DIPA was they type of hops. I think I'll pass on "hoppy" beers from Belgium; they need to leave the hop bombs to Americans who know what they are doing.

3.33/5  rDev -20.7%

Shared with okcomputer as we were putting a tiny dent in his cellar. Poured into goblet. Poured a cloudy orange yellow color and had a half inch of white head that had low retention and good lacing.

Upon opening, we were hit with a huge blast of skunk. There was also some weed aroma. The skunkiness faded some as time went on but stayed noticeable throughout the beer. There were some grain and yeast notes in the background of the beer. On the tongue the hops were well blended and balanced, so that this didn't burn off your tastebuds. The spicy yeast had a bit more of a presence, otherwise it was very similar to the aroma.

The body was good, fairly typical for the style. Drinkability was good, but not great. I'm glad I shared this large format bottle, as I wouldn't want a whole one for myself.

Overall, a decent enough beer to try, and (as the overall score here shows) I seem to be in the minority in my views. Worth trying if you see it.

3.33/5  rDev -20.7%

An extraordinary thing, this. At least to look at. Gold covered in snow. Thick, thick snow. Head is fabulous, with great staying power and topography. Visible carbonation, gorgeous. Smell is coriander and hops. Didn't dig on the taste so much. I love Double IPA's and Triples, but two great tastes don't necessarily always taste great together. This is interesting, but to me a mess of sweet malt and predictable spices along with a hellacious blast of hops... It's interesting, and applaud them for what they've done, but there is no way in hell I would shell out ten bucks for another bottle of this, except mayber to lay one down for 6 months to a year to see if the flavors meld a little better. Mouthfeel starts smooth but ends stingy and obtrusive. Hot, actually. A for arrogance, unfortunately an C for cohesiveness. It may be a Triple Dubbel, but this is no Magic Johnson. I apologize for that pun, I really do.

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel from Brasserie d'Achouffe