Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel - Brasserie d'Achouffe

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA TripelHoublon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-13-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,161 | Hads: 2,534
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I might be biased in my review because I love pale ales and tripels, but this is truly a great beer. Poured into a chalice, the beer has a beautiful fluffy head that reminds me of lemon meringue pie in appearance. The smell is complex, with the spicy yeast and piney hops making for a really unique nose. The hop flavor of this beer is just right, not so overpowering as to diminish the traditional tripel flavors, but it's definitely there. The flavors mingle with each other with each taste, seeming to alternate with each sip. Sometimes the hops stand out, sometimes the yeast. A really great experiment by the chouffe, and a really fun beer to drink.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

very very good! this poured slightly cloudy into my glass. yeast particles swimming around made it cloudy. excellent carbonation and head. this girl was a true delight. wonderful citrus aroma. excellent citrus taste with a nice dry finish.

highly recommend this one! suckem up and movem out!

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

Hazed glowing apricot pour with an expanding head of frothy merangue that has epic retention and the thickest lacing I've ever seen. 3/4 inch thick on the sides of my Magic Chouffe goblet with submerged icebergs of half melted marshmellows floting on top.

Aroma is a near perfect union of Belgian Tripel and Imperial IPA. At first it smells very hoppy, bursting with notions of pine, Amarillo citrus and powdered fruit, sweet florals, and earthy and herbal Saaz. As it warms the hops fade into warm fruit notes with green apple, pinapple mint, bubblegum, and white pepper.

Flavor is equally impressive. An initial blast of fresh hop citrus, honey drenched floral and pine notes gives way to loads of sweet fruit, especially pinapple, tangerine, and pear. The Saaz bite reminds me a lot of Sam Adams Imperial Pilsner with all it's raw, Earthy hop goodness. The yeast is unmistakably Belgian, and adds plenty of clove spice and fruity bubblegum notes. The finish is sweet, hoppy, and has a touch of white pepper dryness. This beer truly morphs all the aspects of a Tripel with an American IIPA. It's really, really good.

Body is very big on this one. Mouthfeel is creamy and slick. leaving your lips hoppy and sticky with each sip. I bet this would age wonderfully, although the mighty hop character would lose some of it's luster. Hoppy, fruity, full, wonderfully complex, and different. I love it. Go buy lots right now!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

C: pours a pale orange, very tink head that thins and sticks heavily to the side of the glass. Fantastic head retention, yeasty sediment that creates a live environment for fermentation.

S: clean hop scent crisp with a citrusy noce, a little orange peel and maybe clove.

T: spicy hops, with a citrusy finish. not to bitter and well balanced with the malt. I've been on a belgian kick lately and this one is a perfect blend of a trippel and a IPA.

M: lively carbonation, helps promote the bitterness, promotes the scent to be notices while drinking. This is a fantastic example of good belgian beer crafting. without a doubt one of the best that I've ever had from our belgian friends.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a pale yellow gold with a huge billowy ivory head. Lots of huge chunky lacing. Citrusy hop aroma, fruity Belgian yeast. Lots of estery, bready aromas.

Very hoppy flavors and bready, yeasty tripel type flavors. The perfect marriage of a tripel and IPA. The combination of Amarillo, Tomahawk and Saaz is odd enough. Then combine that with a fruity, earthy tripel...well that's nothing you see everyday. Dry in the mouth, lots of hops in the finish and aftertaste. Really drinkable for my tastes. Some hints of alcohol in there but the 9% ABV is masked nicely.

I have never had anything like this before. Totally unique. Totally quaffable. Awesome.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a light straw color. Luminescent and streaming effervescence coming up from the bottom. A fat creamy thick head of white foam sits atop this golden sunshine body. The pinnacle of foam. It's loathe to fall and when it finally does, it does so slowly. Rocky crags to a thick cap and a layer on top. It refreshes constantly and leaves gobs and patches of lace. Sticky sheets and rings.

Nose is terrific with aromatic citrus hops. Bright with a touch of yeast and a little funky. Soft light malt that's been kissed by honey. The citrus is bold and tart and with it is the lively sweetness of the rind. It also has a softer tripel like sweetness from fruit just underneath. That's a bit more tropical and intensely sweet but shy. It has grains that are naturally sweet and light.

Taste is perfection. It has bold citrus fruit that gets the mouth to water as the sweet rind perks everything right up. The tropical sweetness rolls through and the palate begins to be very excited. Light grains with honey, orange. The malt is smooth and light and that allows this to drink long. Herbal fruity perfumey hops dance all over the palate. Then a sensational bitter starts to settle in. It's sensational because the flavors have all been reaching a peak that somehow keeps climbing and then . . . it's bitter. Not hard, not harsh but strong and it lasts. There's a crushed aspirin like astringency that's a bit chalky but it's laid in to the body of the beer and not out of place. It's alive and vibrant with sensations as the bitter tingles and the chalkiness drys out the mouth in anticipation of the dry finish. It has a delightful aftertaste and ends with the lightly sweet grains and the softer tropical fruit notes.

Bold as brass like an ipa and delicate sweet and refined like a tripel. It's character is complimentary and each aspect accents another aspect perfectly. The hop qualities accent the delicate sweetness, the bitter accents the fruits, the aspirin like quality accents the bitter and contrasts the lightly sweet grains. Perfect balance. You feel like it's somehow in motion.

Bravo! Bravo I say!

4.71/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

-slightly lighter tripel
-hoppy bread almost some sour notes
-a hoppy tripel makes for my favorite beer taste, crisp and smooth
-it comes on strong but quickly mellows
-a amazing beer, one of my favorites on any occasion

4.71/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours into my deep, wide Rochefort goblet a lovely golden amber, clear save for a slight chill haze, and capped with a fantastic head! The head settles to a thick, rocky, nearly solid mass across the surface, falling into thick, gobby mountains and valleys. The lacing is absolutely complete, thick, full white rings that let little light through, and the head lasts all the way to the bottom of the glass.

The aroma is a lovely blend! Sleek, sweet malts and a blend of citrusy hop scents really jazz things around.

The flavor is just great - it's really a beer for any occasion - whether you want an IPA, a tripel, a summery beer, something to warm you up when it's cold - this satisfies. There are definitely a lot of hops in here froa tripel, and it's way, way better executed than Urthel Hop It! Instead of tasting like a grassy tripel, this swirls with warm citrus - I can pick out notes of all the major citrus fruits, grapefruit, lemon, lime, orange. The finish is nutty, and it really puts a nice end to the sweet malt and tangy hops.

Mouthfeel is creamy, with just enough zip from the hops, it finishes with a nutty kind of stickiness that lingers, inviting further recollections.

This is great, great, great, great.

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

Served with Course #3 (Spinach salad with candied walnuts, blueberries, crystal ginger and bleu cheese) at the 17th Annual Labor of Love Belgian Beer Dinner.

So I've had this beer before fresh, and upon having it the first time, the flavors were all there but I didn't like how they worked together. So I figured I'd age one to see how they developed in the bottle. This was a 2 year old bottle.
And my god, what an outstanding melange. A cloudy golden head like the locks of the archangel, it strikes from the sky into my chalice.
There is so much to love here, a base earthiness from the toil of the soil, a resinous and mellow pine, a touch of lemongrass, a slight grassy and herbaceous undertone. Everything is married together by the slight clove and spice of the yeast. And it is happiness.

A well-aged Belgian IPA - I was beginning to fear this style was just not for me - paired professionally. I need more of this in my life.

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

A soft pour led to a huge pillowy, rocky white head that keeps on rising above the rim. The foam stays a good three fingers thick for almost the entire beer. Huge gobs of lacing mark the glass. There are so many bubbles rushing to the top its insane. Has a clear golden color ( which became very hazy, almost like a snow globe once the bottom of the bottle was added).

Smells of floral hops, pepper and other spices ( really comes through when the yeast is added), yeast and a dash of sweet malt.

Tastes wonderful. The label does not lie, Triple IPA for sure. Lots of bitter hops, orange, pepper, yeasty spiciness ( once again more powerful when the sediment makes its way in), pale malt and a well hidden but warming alcohol. This is one hell of a beer, it is so complex and I was amazed how much it changes past mid bottle.

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

Honey blonde with a ton of suspended yeast particles. Big white whipped meringue-like head lasts long after the pour. Leaves big sticky rings of lace all down the glass. Citrusy and aromatic piney hop notes with soft honey dominate the nose. Big and bold IPA hop flavor with a nice hit of candy sugar sweetness to balance the dry almost champagne like finish. Nice medium heavy mouthfeel with a very fine smooth carbonation. Extremely drinkable, alcohol is well hidden. One of my all time faves.

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

My first-ever beer from the brewery Brasserie d'Achouffe, and I was completely blown away by the overall quality and outstanding character of this terrific sample... From a 1pint, 16 fl oz large green bottle, pours an exceptional appearance with a cloudy, frothy, hazy sediment-filled strawish color with immense bubbly head with impressive staying power... smell is very intense, with a distinct bubble-gum aroma pouring out of the bottle with fruit and slight hops smell... taste was superb, full of fresh fruit, sweet grapefruit, and only slight hops... hardly any bitterness detected at all which surprised me considering the logo on the bottle claimed it was an "IPA Tripel"... not what I was expecting at all with such a sweet marriage of perfect flavors and a delicate balance of Amarillo, Tomahawk, and Saaz hops... As far as the 9% ABV is concerned, the alcohol is hard to detect with such strong and rich flavors...Outstanding, world-class brew, Definitely recommended...

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

This is a damn good beer, and I was fortunate to snag the very last bottle from John's Grocery. It was almost gone before I had even heard of it. The beer is a clear blonde color with a massive white head. Lacing forms the whole way down.

The smell is a little less hoppy than I was hoping for. Definitely has some belgian hops in it, thus not quite as bitter and fruity. Has a little bit of banana and clove to it, as well as a dry musty grain. Smells good, but not as strong as I was hoping for.

The taste is good. The flavors are more pronounced, and the bitterness stands out much better in the flavor than in the aroma, though it is still not all that hoppy. Surely they used an assload of hops, but the low alpha acid varietals do not stand out as much as american strains. Still very good stuff. Has elements of an IPA and a tripel, which is very interesting. (edit: as it gets towards the bottom of the bottle, more of the fruity amarillo flavors come out, and when drank with the sediment it's truly a great beverage.)

The body is full and fairly dry. A light spicing plays nicely with the hop bitterness. Good stuff. Very drinkable for 9%. I wish there was more.
Edit: Scores adjusted for Batch #2. I am in love with this beer. This beer just proves that there couldn't be a better time to beer a beer lover in America. Not only is the selection of American micros seeminly expanding by ten-fold each year, but the brewers of the old world are following our lead. The result is an orgy of mouthwatering American hops and belgian yeast complexity. It tastes like citrus and bubblegum. Not too sweet, not too dry, just the perfect amount of bitterness (which seems like a bit more than batch #1 to me). The head on this beer is phenomenal, and the lacing is amongst the thickest I've seen. This is easily the best use of Amarillo hops I've had, as many "Amerikuhn" brewers like to use too much of a good thing, in our typical fashion. Highly recommended to anybody. If you see the gnome, bring him home!

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

No doubt about it, this is one amzing beer.

I've had this beer a number of times on tap, and while I liked it the fist time I tried it, I've come to appreciate it more and more over time.

This beer pours an impressive cloudy yellow gold color, with a sensational head and lacing. The lacing might be the best I've ever seen, the foamy head is long lasting and persistent. Amazing.

The aroma is like nothing I've ever smelled before. I get lemon, lime and tangerines... exceptional citrus nose, but unlike anything I've ever encountered in an IPA or DIPA here in the states. On the palate... how in the hell do they do this. The beer starts off as if it's going to be a crisp, sweet, Belgium trippel, but then the hops come on strong at the finish. The beer has a fabulous hops bitterness in the finish, which keeps this beer from becoming tiring to drink. In fact, considering the abv., it's really quite drinkable. The beer finishes very crisply, and is not the least bit heavy. In fact, it's quite light on its feet on the palate; amazing for a beer with this abv.

An altogether excellent beer.

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%

Appearance - Hazy golden straw yellow. The head had the consistency of meringue and lasted over the 45 minutes of drinking this beer. I waited for the head to subside a bit in order to pour the last bit of beer. When I poured it a bit of the beer actually rolled off the head. Incredible.

Aroma - Each of the hop characteristics shine through. Floral with citrus and strong Belgian yeast character; banana/clove. There was also a bit of a spearmint aroma which I found interesting.

Taste - Very well balanced. For how much hop flavor is in this beer it is hardly bitter on the palate. The Belgian yeast character and hop character balance very nicely as well, which in some beers there is a tendency to conflict. I enjoyed for the first few sips an intense spearmint flavor which my palate quickly got accustomed to. It was absolutely delightful. A very complimentary complex and balanced beer.

4.74/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Excellent beer served draft in a tulip glass. Perfect lines after every sip. Nice frothy head on the beer. Appearance has golden wheat tint to it. Sweet floral hoppiness come at you. A little hint of honey in their as well. Smooth sweetness with a sight bitterness that is perfectly paired. Very smooth going down. Genuinely a delicious beer. Seasoned tripel and ipa drinkers will enjoy as well as a newbie.

4.74/5  rDev +12.9%

Had this one on tap at 6 & Save in New Kensington, PA. I'd never tried a Tripel IPA before, so I was intrigued.

The head was not nearly as thick as others have described, about half a finger. The body was a translucent, light orange, no highlights that I could tell.

The smell was great! I could easily smell this beer all day -- sweet, caramelly malt mixed with a brisk, light hop character. I think I spent more time smelling it than I did drinking. I just couldn't get enough

The taste was excellent. The hops were pretty upfront, providing a breezy, refreshing character, bitter of course but not nearly as overwhelming as most American IPA's. That bitterness literally washed away to leave a very satisfactory toffee, caramel center. I could feel the hops drain out of my mouth, & it felt like a Werther's Original on my tongue, a great experience. The forces of cleansing hop & rewarding malt were cycled each time I took a sip, like I'd lift my head from the pillow & find a delicious candy each time.

The mouthfeel was fine, not too thich or thin. My salivary glands were stimulated by the hops & renewed by the buttery aftertaste each time.

This is one of those beers that's so deceptively delicious that I had not idea what the ABV was -- it's very drinkable, in my opinion, as the palate is wiped clean & begging for more after every sip. This does not scream "IPA" to me. The owner of 6 & Save said it's more popular with their hopheads. I didn't find it overly hoppy -- the hops are a refreshing, breezy prelude to that sweet, creme brulee center that I loved.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

1pt 9.4 Fl. oz bottle courtesy of TwelveVoltMan. Monstrous thanks for sending this back to PA with me after the OSU-Uof(why can't we beat OSU)M game.

Pours a succulent chunky bright gold in color. Simply Titanic-sized, uber-creamy head boils up and lies in fluffy bunches in the glass. Huge-ma splotches of nose-clinging lace enhance the experience.

Aromas, per the label, are a result of Tomahawk, Amarillo, and Saaz hops. Holy shit. The bottle don't lie. Assault on the nasal passages by the trifecta of hops. And it's all good. Playing second fiddle to the 3 Hopsmen of the Apocalypse is a lively array of peppery spice, doughy yeast, and even some funk as it warmed. Another easy 5 here.

Flavors start off estery-sweet and show some citrusy component. Bannanas and orange peel. Lemon zest. Middle sees some crispness creep in. Finishes dry, with a hint of honey-soaked ABV to let you know it ain't a pushover. Almost a numbing of the palate from the hops. Oily residue on my lips and window-shaking burps add to the experience.

Mouthfeel is every so slightly on the thin side. If this had a little more "oomph" it'd be off the charts. Still, the thick and creamy lace do a nice cloaking job on the palate.

This beer is just stupidly drinkable. Never mind the big-assed bottle. I had no problems draining this one. Such a great combination of flavors and aromas. I must get several more of these when I venture west to Ohio next time. This is one damn fine beer.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

A blurry saffron yellow sits below a truly mountainous rise of white foam...one that only slowly erodes to form a floating mesa in the glass, while leaving the edges positively filthy with lace.
Saaz stamps its signature on the aroma first and foremost, but it's not autocratic. Whelps of lemon pulp, sourdough, spearmint, thyme, sawdust, dusty chalkboards, granite, sugar cookies, and muskmelon all are present and given votes democratically.
It surges into the mouth, dryish at first with a French bread maltiness that quickly changes phase toward things sweeter and juicier. Lemon poppyseed muffins, all doughy and undercooked, seem the malts main footprint henceforth, but myriad hues of fried plantains, kiwi, orange creamsicles, and frosted sugar cookies provide notable cameos. Yeast adds flourishes of sandalwood, white peppercorn, limestone, and chalk. Then the hops take their obvious star turn. Saaz brings it hardest, not surprising, given the nose. Full of hay bales, sere fire-prone prairies, and pressed wildflowers. But there's a more humid and sticky element here too. Credit that to the Yankee Amarillos and Tomahawks. It turns danker, with a resinous notion of ganja, grapefruit, mint leaves, and pine pitch.
The body is airy and whipped, but full. Carbonation tends to seep out as it feeds the gaudy head, but even when basically flat, this is drinkable in giant esophagus-stretching pulls. Which is scary, actually.
This is made for big important meals, and carries the complexity and dexterity to match pretty much anything it is paired with. From frozen pizza to roasted herb-crusted grouse to rhubarb pie, this, I believe, would shine. Oh, and it shines pretty fucking bright on its own too, in the absence of food and the desire for more once the 750mL is gone.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Let me start by saying, thank you Brasserie d'Achouffe for taking a chance and brewing this beer.

A - Very cloudy golden color with a good foam (two or three fingers). Foam laced nicely along sides of the glass all the way to the last sip. This beer has the appearance of a classic Belgian Triple

S - The Smell is where things get interesting. There is a distinctive yeasty odor very reminiscent of other Belgians but it is complimented with an unexpected floral hop odor that is normally reserved for the American IPA.

T - The smell was the preparation, the taste is the journey. There are many things going on in the mouth with this beer. At the very first taste you will notice the Belgian yeast and malt
If it were possible to stop right there, this would be an excellent triple. As I you continue to taste the hop flavor opens up in the back of your mouth (on swallow) and rises back to the nose. It may be that the higher alcohols and esters are carrying the hop flavors. The combination is really quite unexpected and wonderful.

M - very good and indicative of a highly carbonated bottle conditioned Belgian.

D - I've found this beer to be very drinkable. The several times I've encountered this beer, it has been shared with friends during tastings and this one is always the 'best of show'. The hybrid style seems to appeal to the best of both the IPA and Triple crowd and both 'camps' will be very happy.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- Clear Pilsner color to this beer. It's well carbonated and the head retention is beautiful.
S-It a bouquet of hops and yeast minus the malt. The yeast comes through as estery and balances with a floral hop aroma. Specifically, grapefruit is apparent. No off smells.
T- It tastes highly carbonated. The flavor, however is pleasantly different. It almost tastes like a cantaloupe juice with a finishing bitterness that lingers. It is certainly fruitful and hopped up. I wish the Saaz gave it a little more aroma.
M- Carbonated but warm. The carbonation is somewhat overwhelming at first, but as it sits, the flavor really comes through and the carbonation mellows.
O- Overall I would consider this a world class beer. The color is perfect to the Tripel Style where the hop flavor takes over in the finish and accents the West Coast IPA style. The English side in this beer is the overall balance between the two. Perhaps all three styles are accented in a sense. That's why I consider this to be phenomenal.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

A- cloudy lemon yellow with an impressive frothy white head. superfine mesh lace like stretched microfiber. most excellent rings of lace from drinking as well spattered fine as chalk dust. a very attractive brew, shining color and amazing head retention.

S- extremely floral and sweet and very fruity. gardenia, wisteria, incense, banana, tropical citrus, pineapple, lychee, papaya, white bread, and some crazy yeast! floral alcohol esters as well and a little bit of bubblegum.

T- white toast and incredible hop flavor and again with the awesome yeast. sharp noble type hop bite is so very floral and green. jasmine, patchouli, lilies, tulip, daffodil, narcissus, many flowers come to mind. orange and grapefruit blossom in the hop zing, what i would expect from such a great belgian IPA. lingering astringent finish. bubblegumish bitter burp. this yeast is outer space! lemon, nutmeg, and bitter. golden raisin after taste. unknown fruits.

MF- silky belgian feel, slightly powdery, mid bodied. medium high carbonation, medicinal and boozy. outstanding.

D- great drinkability despite its intensity. a very sophisticated brew.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours to the glass with a good strong head that clumps down the sides and fills the glass with a cloudy orange, fizzing offering.
I am smelling pine, clove and yeasty aromas. The flavor of fruit and spice, grapefruit and lemon with a warm finish.

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Bottle pours hazy golden nice white fluffy head I had one bottle that had some yeast floating around in it. Don’t forget to rinse your glass out after or be prepared to scrub the glass for a long time Hoppy fruity aroma, tastes the way it smells nice hops bitter with the fruity Belgian yeast .sharp bubbly mouth feel.
Great Belgian tripel one of my favorites so far

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Large capped bottle, poured into a Duvel tulip.

Beautiful bright golden, with a profuse, never ending fluffy white head, and a lot of lacing.
Very nice, hoppy aroma, floral and fruity, but without the grapefruit notes that are more typical of Cascade; it almost feels like the open sea aroma. Yeasty notes, some bread, and perhaps even a slight hint of candy and vanilla.
Medium bodied, its nice carbonation lends a "spritzy" felling, adding to the enjoyment.
Flavor is a nice combination of a trippel and an IPA, as suggested; hoppy and bitter, but again not a lot of grapefruit, but a lot of other fruits. Even salty at times, it is very well balanced by an intervening malty sweetness, and yeastiness. barely noticeable alcohol.
A great beer, indeed.