Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel - Brasserie d'Achouffe

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA TripelHoublon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-13-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,143 | Hads: 2,477
3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured into my Maredsous chalice.
Nice 2 or 3 finger frothy head that settled down with nice coverage. Left lacing with almost every drink. Hoppy/floral aroma but not overpowering at all. Same goes with the flavor-hops are spot on. Very nice Belgian spice-one of the most balanced balance offerings i've ever had of the style. Extremelly drinkable for 9%-I had no problem finishing the bottle.

One of, if not my absolute favorite Belgian IPAs-I will be buying this again. (473 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -38.6%

Served on tap in a .2L Houblon Chouffe flute glass.

Very pretty, nice orange color with a big white head. Smelled of wonderful hops with some belgian yeast funk as expected. Taste was like grapefruit juice gone bad. The citrus hops mixed with the chouffe yeast created a flavor that started good and finished poorly.

I had no interest in having a second one. I like Tripels, I like IPAs, I dont think they mix well. Or, maybe they would with more earthy hops instead of the citrusy. (485 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

A wonderful, layered beer. Massive, foamy head. Crisp hops with orange slices, balanced by a bit of dough and a fairly malty finish. Malty, but not cloying. Excellent mouth feel, with plenty of carbonation that seems to release the flavor without distracting from it. Very drinkable, which is a bit dangerous. ; ) (313 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

I cannot think of many beers I like better than this. Pours a yellowy cloudy/unfiltered straw color with pillows of head. The smell is sweet and floral with a nice hoppy smell of citrus in the background. The taste follows right along with everything from hops to yeast and spice. Just a fantastic beer to drink. (312 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

Bought this beer as a single after seeing it was a combo of two of my favorites (belgian tripel, and an IPA). Poured a very cloudy golden color with a two and a half finger head, which lingered a half a finger throughout the drink. Aroma was of a lot of citrus but my sinuses have been acting up so my nose is really not up to snuff. Taste was everything I expected. First drink there was a lot of hops up front, then mild malts, with a dry hopped finish. After that it was strange. Some drinks I primarily tasted the first combo, others were a rich malty taste with a hoppy finish. Very nice and different. Mouthfeel was good, with good carbonation and a dry finish. Drinkability was a little too good,(if thats possible) because I found myself sipping on it continuously because it was so tasty but different than anything I've previously had. I will be buying this again.... soon. (883 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bomber to tulip

Massive fluffy white head on clear, straw yellow.The head hangs around with lots of lacing.

Smell is grass, lemony hops,and bread.

Taste is the same citrus hops, green apple, raisins and yeasty bread. Very dry, lasting finish.

Medium high carbonation.Crisp

Another great beer from another great brewery.It's like hoppy champagne. What's not to like? (372 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

Tap into a Tulip
A:cloudy straw-colored, moderate head with some lacing

S: mild grassy aromas, light hoppy spice

T: Strong but not overpowering alpha bitterness to start, fruity yeast and citrus presence. Dry and pleasing finish.

M: This brew has moderate body and increased carbonation.
The fizz and the hops leave an almost parched mouthfeel (it is the only way I can describe it..)

D: enjoyable to drink, although the feeling of disproportionate bitterness wouldn't make it a session for me (498 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

A: a murky light orange. Substantial head with good leg on the glass
S:crisp, lightly penatrative
T: clean, nice lingering aftertaste that I find goes well with smokey/spice foods (ribs. brisket)
M: creamy, good fizz but not mouth filling
D: very drinkable, with or without food. Look forward to finding it on tap!

Will buy this one again if I ever find it. interested in cellaring but unsure about the bottlecap (413 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

I had this once quite awhile ago and just revisited it now! The nose is bursting with floral & citrus hops. It's a gorgeous pour; straw gold in color, cloudy and with a great, pudding-like head that lasts. The mouth feel is nice; juicy and very easy-drinking. The flavor! I don't want to gush so I won't but if I did I'd say WOWWW!!!! It's loaded with citrus, honey, pine, white pepper, and nicely malted. Great balance. I didn't detect the alcohol so much, so this went down way too easily. (491 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

On tap off a freshly tapped barrel.

A: Deep, slighlty hazy yellow. Strong two and a half finger head. Fantastic lacing, my glass was coated from top to bottom.

S: Reminds me a lot of La Chouffe with a stronger hop presence. Belgian yeast, spicy fruits, almost like a tripel.

T: Yep, very similar to a tripel. A solid hop presence with the always identifiable belgian yeast. Bannana, pear, and some other citrus I can't pick out. Pretty damn tasty.

M: Probably its shining point. Alcohol is almost undectable. Good carbonation. Smooth with a good bite.

O: Belgian IPA's have always confused me a bit, they seem to be a hybrid of other belgian styles. That said, I really enjoyed this one. Glad I had the chance to taste this fresh on tap. Must try. (753 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

On tap at Luka's in Oakland. Dark golden pour, a little cloudy/yeasty looking actually. Definitely unfiltered. Nice subdued hop aroma, more yeasty/estery/belgian aroma than a hop aroma. Awesome hop/yeast flavors. Some fruitiness from the yeast, some from the hops. Apparently the hop flavor is from Amarillo, which citrus flavors seems to work very well with the esters in the yeast. Very dry. Extremely drinkable. A very unique marriage of the double IPA and Belgian brewing indeed. An excellent beer. (502 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +10%

GUSHER!! Not the first time I've had a Houblon gush. At least I was ready this time and didn't have to begrudgingly clean it off the floor.

Once I had a chance to pour it correctly the head was still very thick and lasted the entire length of the tulip glass. It reminded me of marshmallows melting on top of hot chocolate. The lace etched down the sides of the glass. The color was a cloudy light gold filled with suspended "floaties."

Immediately the piney, floral aroma of the hops invades your nostrils. Not too overpowering with a background of maltiness. Upon first drinking it the sweetness is astounding. It's almost honey with pronounced citrus notes. As you are enjoying the sweet, the bitter hop presence slowly develops then lingers on long after you put the glass down.

Obviously it is quite carbonated; however, it is light and crisp with a velvety afterthought.

One heck of a drinkable beer. Too much so probably. If it wasn't 9.0% ABV I would have a new sessioon beer. (990 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +10%

750ml into Duvel tulip

If I could only have one beer for the rest of my life, I wouldn't be able to choose. But if someone else stepped in and chose for me, selecting Houblon Chouffe to be that beer, I wouldn't complain.

The quality of this brew can vary from bottle to bottle, and this seems to depend on how much Amarillo character comes through. The same seems true of the draft version, as the glass I had at a Taco Mac once wasn't nearly as good as what I had at Leon's Full Service last summer.

It's good no matter what, but after the distinct Amarillo quality fades, the grassy Saaz comes to the forefront rather than playing a supportive role.

Regardless, it's always excellent. Tends to have just a touch of light-struck character, but as with Saison DuPont, it only contributes to the goodness.

I believe this to be the most successful Belgian IPA available (not one of the most--THE most). I think that this is because the yeast lends loads of spicy goodness without much fruitiness, allowing the fruit notes from the hops to really shine.

Despite the considerable ABV, this is a beer that lends itself to generous quaffs of hoppy, phenolic goodness. I love it! (1,178 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Colour is very light brown, almost yellow and bit hazy resembling of some german wheat beers, though this one is more clear than most of the Hefe beers.

Pretty strong carbonation and thick foam, that stays on glass after pouring a long while.

Smell resembles that of a popular Velko Popovicky Kozel and even taste have similarities, although everything is one or two step stronger than in Velko. Especially hops are clearly stronger.

This was somewhat a surprise for me. I couldn't expect that immediately I smell and taste this one, I start to compare this to Velko Light. I like Velko and so I like this, but this bier is made in Belgium, in a land of strong and fulll monastery beers, instead of Czech Republic and is almost twice as strong in alcohol content than the beer I'm comparing it.

I don't know. Perhaps my mouth is lying to me tonight, but in any case thumbs up for this beer!

Edit: And I love the logo on the bottle. Caught my eyes in the liquer store, that's for sure. (989 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +5%

750mL bottle, poured into a pint glass.

Pours the color of pinapple juice, unfiltered with suspended yeast particles. Head is enormously stiff with unbelievable head retention and significant lacing.

Aroma of belgian yeast, rice, apple, clove and grass.

Flavor is slightly sour up front, but develops into a beautifully balanced, unimposingly sweet, fruity (pear, apple, candy sugar) and toasty yeast beverage. Finishes with a bit of warming alcohol and dry pithy bitterness, which does little more than to just refresh the palate.

Holy calamity is this thing soft! Medium body with prickly (at first), refreshing carbonation that quickly becomes very soft that really sticks to your teeth and tickles your gums. (716 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

11.2oz bottle. Purchased at River City Cellars on Cary St. Side of bottle states: Batch #2 Best before end 2009. Poured in to an Allagash Chalice.

S- Very aromatic. Zesty lemon and orange citrus, earthy tones. Floral.

A- Golden, haze (I don't mind some of the sediment), THICK white head, lacing abound. Lots of chunky, fluffy head on the glass. Retained some all the way through the last sip.

T- All tripel up front. Citrus, earthiness, sweet. All IPA in the back. Smacked by floral hops in the finish. Sweetness lingers throughout. Some honey perhaps.

M- Good. Creamy, chewy, fantastic.

D- Excellent. This is a great brew. The alcohol is not too much, though it is present. Not for mass consumption. The sweetness is present throughout, making the bitter finish not so abrasive. I will be drinking this more often. (831 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -11%

A: Poured into a tulip glass. Vibrant orange-gold color. Some floating sediment. Massive white frothy head that is slow to dissipate. Leaves a "root beer float"-esque foam just chillin' at the surface. Lacing all the way down the glass.

S: Alcohol right up front. Prominent hop character hits right away. Citrus and spice. Maybe some lemon.

T: Lot going on here. Hops come through in the front and a grainy, Belgian kick comes next. Well balanced bitter-sweet. Bready finish with an alcohol aftertaste. Just the right balance.

M: Medium body. Not too thick of a mouthfeel for this beer.

O: Solid tripel. Not the best I've ever had, but worth the price. (657 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

I've had this bottled and on-tap.

It pours a light opaque straw like color, perhaps just a tad darker. It leaves a huge frothy white head and it laces down exceptionally well.

Floral and citrus hops on the nose, even a little herbal earthiness added to the mix. It smells delicious.

The taste is just as equally delicious. The combination of a tripel and an IPA is brilliant. It's very earthy with some herbal tones, hints of honey and bubblegum, then a dash of floral hoppiness. One of the most interesting beers I have ever drank and a fine one it is.

At 9% there is little evidence of alcohol, it is creamy and deceptively easy to drink. Very smooth, but finishes a tad bit dry. I could drink this all day. (713 characters)

4.16/5  rDev -1%

On Tap @ Bar Food

Pours a hazy golden color, nice dense fluffy head. Served pretty cold which is probably contributing to the fact that the nose is reticent. There's some light orange/citrus, white floral notes and Belgian yeast, not particularly hoppy on the nose for those used to American IPAs/DIPAs. On the palate this hits you with a thwack of of bold bitter hops and alcohol. The hops do a nice job of masking the 9% ABV so the overall impression is strength rather than booziness. This is fairly drinkable for such a big beer, refreshingly clean and bitter. Unlike a lot of high gravity American hop bombs, this isn't thick and sweet...a dangerously drinkable Belgian IPA. (680 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -11.4%

This beer is called an IPA, and should get respect for that, since evidently as the story goes the brewer in Belgium was inspired by IPAs being brewed in California which is EPIC! But this is not really an IPA, it's a Belgian saison beer. The IPA reference, aside from the name, comes from a little bit of cascade aromatics just at the end as you swallow the beer. All the same, I guess you'd say that this beer is unique among Belgians, but the brewer has not created a great new style, rather he has created a very drinkable hybrid. I would drink about 12 oz. of this beer, but not a full pint, because it's a little too sweet. But I wouldn't have a problem quaffing a Stone IPA, then a Chouffe IPA, then a Pure Hoppiness or something. It's stong enough to hold its own in the middle. (786 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Old world meets the new world with a wonderful balance of bitter and sweet drinkability. Golden ale with a heavy white foam that eventually settles down to a long lasting fine soapy head. Smell of grapefruit and spice with light floral tones. Taste begins sharp but immediately sets sweet and lingers to the top hop and then balances to semi-dry and finishes with a hint of black pepper. No kidding. A lasting and complex flavor event. Kudos to the Makers for combining the best attributes of Belgium and North America to create such a delicious brew. One of my personal favorites for sure. Best enjoyed with good friends. Outstanding! (635 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -5.7%

This stuff pours a cloudy golden (some of the sediment got mixed up during transport - but it works!) The aroma isn't so great - but once they change those bottles from green to brown I expect that to go away. The flavor is the biting bitterness from the hops, both the Europ and American varieties. The stuff does have a warm mouthfeel that tastes pretty boozy, but the dryness balances this out. (397 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Let me start by saying, thank you Brasserie d'Achouffe for taking a chance and brewing this beer.

A - Very cloudy golden color with a good foam (two or three fingers). Foam laced nicely along sides of the glass all the way to the last sip. This beer has the appearance of a classic Belgian Triple

S - The Smell is where things get interesting. There is a distinctive yeasty odor very reminiscent of other Belgians but it is complimented with an unexpected floral hop odor that is normally reserved for the American IPA.

T - The smell was the preparation, the taste is the journey. There are many things going on in the mouth with this beer. At the very first taste you will notice the Belgian yeast and malt
If it were possible to stop right there, this would be an excellent triple. As I you continue to taste the hop flavor opens up in the back of your mouth (on swallow) and rises back to the nose. It may be that the higher alcohols and esters are carrying the hop flavors. The combination is really quite unexpected and wonderful.

M - very good and indicative of a highly carbonated bottle conditioned Belgian.

D - I've found this beer to be very drinkable. The several times I've encountered this beer, it has been shared with friends during tastings and this one is always the 'best of show'. The hybrid style seems to appeal to the best of both the IPA and Triple crowd and both 'camps' will be very happy. (1,424 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

I love this brewery. I love this beer.

This is the best example of this style I have found, and I favor both IPAs and Belgians. If you do to, this is heaven.

Great bottle (25.4 oz), funny back-story.

Pours clean with a perfect head, a little milky, not quite transparent, but I like that. Good head retention.

Smells like a hop garden. Forward aroma hops, floral and sweet. Mingles with a typical candied-apricot and allspice tripel aromas to tickle the nose and watter the mouth.

Exceptional beer. Smooth, complex. Hoppy, but strong enough to balance it. The balance is perfect. Not once did I find myself making the sweet, sour or bitter faces. One big bottle is just the right amount of alcohol, but I want more... dangerous.

Nice and thick the way a Belgian should be. The hops tickle, but don't dry out your tongue.

I could drink this one with on the first day of a three-day hangover. Smooth as silk, every sip gives you something more. Beautiful product. (989 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

This is a fine IPA with Belg written all over it. It does not have the maltiness of an American IPA or a British for that matter but has the light effervecent feel of a belgian. Classic in that you don't realize the alcohol is 9%. But the taste is clean. Yeast, malt, hops, and alcohol are all balanced to present itself as a wholy different packge. This is brewing subtlty. It is like recognizing a police sobriety block and slipping into your jail cell and then waking up at the ritz (485 characters)

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel from Brasserie d'Achouffe