Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel - Brasserie d'Achouffe

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA TripelHoublon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-13-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel Alström Bros
yen157

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Turbid and straw yellow, with a sizable white foamy head; quick streams of carbonation reinforce. Familiar Chouffe yeasty nose accented by large (this is Belgian you know) doses of citrus, grass, and candy-sweet malt. Nicely balanced hop flavor and esters, sweet malt finish. Hardly a hint of the 9% ABV. Bitterness is big, nice and big, perhaps a bit out of whack. On second taste, hop flavor seems second compared to the mildly raw bitterness. Very good beer in a bottle. Even better draft. I can’t wait to see what this is like a batch or two once they nail what they’re looking for. Worth seeking out like De Ranke.

03-30-2006 03:11:59 | More by yen157
TheBungyo

Washington

4.38/5  rDev +4%

Whew.
I ordered this at the Stumbling Monk and was warned that this would take 8-10 minutes to pour. Being the true BA that I am, I said this was ok ... and I am glad I did.
This was presented to me with the most amazing head I have ever seen. Both of my friends that were with me commented that the head reminded them of a hot fudge sundae covered with whipped cream. I was stunned as I gazed at the bounty before me. I sniffed and caught a whiff of bitter grapefruit and pine. Marvelous!
I nibbled the head and tasted exactly what I smelled with the bitterness ramped up. As I made my way to the actual body of the beer I tasted more of the same coupled with sweet sugary cotton candy and spice. This seemed the perfect marriage of an IPA and a tripel. Mouth was nice and smooth. I instantly wanted another but restrained myself so that I could sample other offerings. A winner of a beer for sure.
6/2
I'm trying this in the bottle for the first time. The head wasn't as nice as it was on tap, but it was still damn good. Body is like pooled honey in my glass. Nose is honey, buggle gum and cotton candy. Nose is leagues away from what it was on tap. Plus, on my first sip on tap all I could taste from the foam was the hops. Here it seems the flavors have meshed (not that I thought balance was a problem before) and really complement each other. Props to Chouffe. You've made what I imagine will influence many other brewers in your country ... and will make you a legend.

04-27-2006 05:37:27 | More by TheBungyo
Wisconsinality

Wisconsin

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Poured from 750 ml into Duvel tulip.

A- Pours a murky golden with a good amount of sediment floating around. A nice pillowy head leaves some great lacing along side of the glass.

S- Right away I pick up the Belgian yeast and a good helping of candy sugar. The hops seem to hide in the background and there is some grassiness in there as well. If I didn't know any better, I would just thought this was a tripel from the smell of it.

T- Again, the Belgian yeast and sugar dominate at first sip. There is some grass in there and the dryness from the hops. I also detect a little spice in there, clove and maybe even a little coriander. The alcohol never peaks through.

M- A nice crisp and clean beer. Medium bodied with a bit of dryness at the end. Also there is a small amount of bitterness.

D- Crisp and easy drinking is the way I could explain it. Goes down easy despite the high ABV. Can't even notice them. A good interpretation of the style.

02-16-2010 00:09:53 | More by Wisconsinality

09-04-2013 15:40:54 | More by LMH88
benito

Oregon

3.63/5  rDev -13.8%

Other than samples of Hop It, this is my first Belgian IPA! Pale in color, this brew has an incredible head that clumps up, laces that glass, and refuses to disappear in any way.

The aromas show a little too much barnyard funk and not enough hops for a brew that purports to meld traditional Belgian styles with an IPA. In my ideal Belgian IPA, I think I'd get a more distinct, and maybe American hop presence in the bouquet.

That said, the flavor is spot on: a nice mix of typial Belgian spiciness (though it seems to be more in the saison/farmhouse tradition rather than the monastic/tripel one) and a dry, bitter finish. It drinks far too easily for a 9% brew, and I was amazed by how light the overall impression was--so much so that I've docked it points because it misrepresents the true soul of this beer.

This is a fascinating experiment and a solid, if flawed brew. I will be more than happy if I can make a Belgian IPA that enters the same ballpark as this brew.

04-19-2007 03:03:50 | More by benito
jmtpi

France

02-01-2014 20:14:22 | More by jmtpi
BobZ

4.38/5  rDev +4%

750ml 25.4 Oz. bottle. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Just like La Chouffe, murky yellow with a very rich head, the head hangs around throughout the beer and the lacing is excellent.

Smell: Hops aroma is up front with both citrus and floral, actually very pleasant, some sweetness and spice are also evident.

Taste: The hop flavor is dominant but not overpowering, hoppy throughout yet still well balanced, spicy sweetness lurks beneath. This may be my favorite "hoppy" style beer.

Mouth feel: Again, like La Chouffe, very creamy on the palate, really adds to the enjoyment of this beer.

Drinkability: Very smooth and delicious easy to keep drinking.

Another excellent offering from La d'Achouffe.

03-02-2011 20:10:00 | More by BobZ
NoLeafClover44

Delaware

3.58/5  rDev -15%

750 mL bottle poured into DFH snifter.

A - Pours a hazy golden color with a huge pillow of root beer float head. Highly active carbonation is visible throughout the body. The head continues to grow (above the rim of the glass) for several minutes before it settles back down to around two fingers. Coats the glass with a spiderweb of lacing. Lots of sediment in this one, although I tried my best to leave some in the bottle.

S - Grass, citrus, Belgian yeast, and herbs. Some tart grapes give this one some wine characteristics as well. Hops are overshadowed by lemon peel, flowers, and grass.

T - Same elements as in the nose. Citrus is prominent on the front with sourdough bread malt taking over in the middle. Finish has faint hops, but I am left with a bready aftertaste. Pretty average for the style.

M - Carbonation is high and the feel is pretty light. Drinks like a beer with much less alcohol, one of the dangers of Belgian beers.

O - I was pleasantly surprised to see this one at Whole Foods and scooped one up. Belgian IPA is one of my favorite styles, but this one drank more like a tripel. There wasn't really a hop bite or spicy finish. This was a longtime want, but I was a little bit disappointed.

07-02-2012 01:32:12 | More by NoLeafClover44
6thstreetbrewpub

District of Columbia

05-04-2013 19:43:15 | More by 6thstreetbrewpub
charlesw

3.83/5  rDev -9%

Cloudy (and lumpy) pale orange with a huge white head that lasts and lasts. Smells tripely - it's all about candy and light caramel. It smells.. Astringent. Which isn't a big surprise in a Belgian and darn it, it has an astringent flavor to it as well. It tastes like... A cross between a Hop^3 and a really astringent Belgian. Sweet, floral hops. A little bitter in the end. I'd think that without the astringency it would be awesome.

08-06-2008 21:43:15 | More by charlesw
Onslow

3.53/5  rDev -16.2%

bought in to my store, sold half a case in one day! ... pours with an obscenely huge white rocky pederasts head and lacing ... lots of sweet honey and fresh pie with caramel (then blended on puree) .... is very smooth and delicious ... another beuty from the chouffers!! ...broccoli heads??

07-21-2008 15:34:14 | More by Onslow
ibbjamin

2.45/5  rDev -41.8%

Purchased an Australian Longneck from BevMo in San Jose, CA and poured into my Chimay Chalice. A sticker is affixed to the back of the bottle with the numbers 83497 on it. I am not sure if this is from the brewer, distributor or store. It may be insignificant/nominal.

Very carbonated. Despite settling, it did leak upon cracking it. A huge inch white fizzy head after a gentle pour. Very cloudy goldish/orange/yellow color. So cloudy that I can't tell if there are small floaters of carbonation bubbles hanging around. Superb head retention. Strong, snowy lacing.

Smells of good yeast, dank bread, and mild spicy/floral hops. Little malt character. Some hints of citrus fruits. Despite the Amarillo, Tomahawk and Saaz hops added (as per listed on the bottle), this has only a mild hop aroma.

A bit too yeasty for my liking. More of a personal taste thing I guess. I wish it was a bit more balanced. Again, the hops are there, but I am left wanting more of them.

The mouth is thick and creamy. The viscosity of this one leaves a mouth-coating aftertaste for days. Those really must have been floaters in there. A bit too heavy on the carbonation. Medium to full bodied.

10-15-2008 02:19:45 | More by ibbjamin
alkemy

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

The pour is a hazy almost opaque yellow out of the petit brown bottle. Slightly off white head looks like a meringue and really sticks around. My Sam Adams perfect pint glass might have aided this. Smells fantastic. Yeasty and fruity and the Saaz hops stood out. Lots of lemon and a little clove as well as a touch of bubblegum. There's a doughy sweetness when this hits your mouth, but it's quickly replaced by a stream of other flavors. There's some peppery clove blending to grapefruit. Then a touch of vanilla comes in before the grapefruit reappears and establishes the lingering taste. You almost have to try to taste the alcohol in this...pretty impressive for 9%. I felt it in my stomach more than anything. Smooth, creamy feel that goes down effortlessly. Pretty impressive beer.

11-19-2010 00:38:29 | More by alkemy

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

10-10-2012 01:54:46 | More by jlogan7
rtratzlaff

4.63/5  rDev +10%

Houblon pours a slightly hazy apricot colored body below a bone white head. The lacing slowly slips down the glass when tipped.

The aromas are fruit like malts, Belgian clove like yeast, and lots of Saaz hops spice.

The flavor is sweet Belgian malts up front with a strong sharp bitterness from the hops. Its all there bitter, sweet, earthy. With warmth the beer sweetened up quite a bit lost alot of the spice from the hops. It changed quite a bit from the first sip to the last and I can't figure out which was more enjoyable.

The mouthfeel was lush and full with good carbonation.

Drinkability is dang near dangerous at 9%. This is what beer was meant to be. My $2 10 oz pour was probably the best beer purchase I've made in a long time.

01-15-2010 21:27:34 | More by rtratzlaff
Farnswurth

02-25-2013 20:01:53 | More by Farnswurth
KMcG

3.2/5  rDev -24%

A: Golden hazy, and choc full of sediment. This is the second variety I've had from this brewery in the 12oz bottle that I've had trouble keeping the sediment out of my glass. So, my perception of color maybe off from loads of sediment suspended throughout my glass. The head is fluffy, nice retention, and leaves lacey legs on the glass.

S: a sharp lemon scent leads the aroma, but there is also a sugary backbone.

T: also lemon - a bit like Pledge. The citrus tone just seemed like artificial flavoring. It then goes into floral hops and yeast. The last taste in the mouth is a faint licorice.

M: medium body, fine carbonation, and sharp bitterness.

10-02-2011 01:33:33 | More by KMcG
WillAndSarah

Ontario (Canada)

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

07-06-2013 18:21:53 | More by WillAndSarah
callmescraps

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Grabbed this one on a whim. I have to admit, it's a nice looking bottle. I've had Chouffe before, always like, never love. But it's time to revisit.

Appearance- A nice cloudy gold color. Beautiful two inches of thick meringue head. Not going anywhere at all. Peaks in the middle. Absolutely absurd head. Just comical. Wow. Laces well. I have to give it a perfect score, it's an incredible looking beer.

Smell- Lots of Belgian yeast. A little cider and some spice. Some lemon rind, a hint of grapefruit. Definitely some grassiness. Estery. It's nice.

Taste- More lemon rind, very citrus. Grassy and bitter. Some peppery notes. The finish is very bitter with grass. More booze than expected. Not as much fruity amarillo as expected. Some real graininess on the finish.

Mouthfeel- Nice and rich. Good carbonation. A little creamier than I'd prefer.

Drinkability- The grassiness, the graininess, and a little heat doesn't do it for me.

Eh. It's a pretty good Belgian IPA, but I was hoping for more. I thought the amarillo might go further. Instead it had more grass and lemon rind than I'd prefer. Also, surprisingly boozy. It looks incredible however, including the great 11.2 oz bottle.

05-04-2010 04:39:32 | More by callmescraps
tut2528

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

big carbonation, and big, almost fluffy head formation and retention, typical Belgian look

smell: very bready/yeasty aromas, a nice malt malt backbone and citrus (predominately lemons)

taste: delicious. not all that complex but i find this beer very well balanced. first thing that i gather is hops. Interestingly the hops is followed by a very sweet malt character that is paired up with fruit and then reverts back to hops. Quite unique.

overall, this is one of the best, if not the best Belgian IPA's i have came across. and the alcohol is unnoticeable.

01-13-2012 20:10:04 | More by tut2528
TEAMHOLT

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

08-08-2012 20:41:26 | More by TEAMHOLT
teromous

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a re-review:

A: It has a very thick white fluffy head. Great head retention and lacing. The beer is a pale golden yellow, with slight haze and lots of visible carbonation. It looks perfect.

S: I get a lot of hop character. It has an orange zest and grapefruit scent to it. There's a slightly dank scent, like noble hops. I can pick up a Belgian yeast scent...only way I know how to describe that...it's a slightly pungent funk. Smells very good.

T: There are lots of facets to the flavor. At first I'm hit with a hop blast, which is full of light bitterness and a hop bite of citrus flavor. It's like biting into a mellow orange, with rind bitterness. Then there is this candy-like flavor. It's similar to eating cotton candy.

M: The mouthfeel is very good. It's bright and lively in my mouth...fills every corner. Despite the hops, it's actually a very light bodied beer. It's fairly dry, leaving only a slight slickness in the mouth...not puckering dry.

O: Overall I really like this beer. I wouldn't say it's perfect, but it's amazingly good. In the bottle, it tastes every bit as good as a dry-hopped IPA on tap (better in most cases). The candy-like aftertaste gives it a character I find appealing.

02-02-2012 23:50:51 | More by teromous