Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel - Brasserie d'Achouffe

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA TripelHoublon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-13-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel Alström Bros
kspongeworthy

01-13-2012 19:04:55 | More by kspongeworthy
Bobbydigi

Kansas

03-06-2013 21:28:28 | More by Bobbydigi
Mar02x

Netherlands

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%

A - A pale yellow haze with a deccent white head on top. Looks good, unfortunately the head retracts a bit to quick.

S - A good smell of piney hop along with a good citrus scent.

T - A good tasting DIPA. A light sweetness up front and for the rest only pine and citrus, very nice.It's like a fresh mowed grassfield.

M - A soft carbonation really helps this beer in a positieve way. After the carboantion is settled the fluid turn into a creamy and light sticky substance.

O - I am normally not a big fan of DIPA's, but this one has my attention, very very good. The body could have been a bit thicker though.

12-26-2011 20:28:30 | More by Mar02x

12-25-2013 18:43:22 | More by Theogre83
czechsaaz

Washington

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Nice floral hop aroma but underneath is the fruity and sweet smell that I'm used to from Choufe. There's also a spicy pepper hop aroma too. A little alcohol in the nose.

Golden and a little cloudy. Develops a HUGE foamy head that settles into a big bubbled, pillowy, looks like merrangue layer. Probably should be poured very gently.

Sweet tripple/strong belgian sweetness on the tip of the tongue, then comes pretty high hop bitterness. Nice estery fermentation character and a long lingering fruity aftertaste. Halfway through the glass it's seems less malty and the hops start to take the front seat. I get an oily hop flavor which lingers in the aftertaste. Everything is really well balanced.

Pretty high carbonation level in the mouth. Medium bodied. There's some pretty substantial warming from alcohol.

I like these new hoppy belgian beers that are starting to come out. This still has a lot of the character of a good belgian ale and the twist of high hops.

06-25-2006 04:16:25 | More by czechsaaz

Maine

11-28-2011 13:09:17 | More by LostHighway
BobZ

4.38/5  rDev +4%

750ml 25.4 Oz. bottle. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Just like La Chouffe, murky yellow with a very rich head, the head hangs around throughout the beer and the lacing is excellent.

Smell: Hops aroma is up front with both citrus and floral, actually very pleasant, some sweetness and spice are also evident.

Taste: The hop flavor is dominant but not overpowering, hoppy throughout yet still well balanced, spicy sweetness lurks beneath. This may be my favorite "hoppy" style beer.

Mouth feel: Again, like La Chouffe, very creamy on the palate, really adds to the enjoyment of this beer.

Drinkability: Very smooth and delicious easy to keep drinking.

Another excellent offering from La d'Achouffe.

03-02-2011 20:10:00 | More by BobZ
plfahey

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

750 mL bottle poured into a wine glass.

Appearance-Pale golden in color with a slight haze-perhaps chill haze. Tall white head with good retention and some nice Belgian lace.

Aroma-What an amazing nose-lemon esters, peppery/spicy phenolics, and distinct, minty, herbal, noble, and floral hop aromas. Almost honey-like malt sweetness lurks in the background, along with some yeast funk and rosey alcohols. Sublime.

Flavor-Slight bready, with herbal/minty hop flavors right off the bat. Dries out almost immediately, with funky, earthy yeast flavors and spicy phenolics in the mid palate. Finish is bone dry with moderate hop bitterness and peppery/rosey alcohols. As the aftertaste draws out, there's a minty overtone to the spicy-peppery flavors (phenolic/alcohol) which linger on the palate.

Mouthfeel-Medium full body is augmented by explosive, effervescent carbonation. Finishes dry, but not astringent. Only the faintest tingle of warmth on the back of the tongue lets on to the high alcohol content.

In my opinion, this is the gold standard for Belgian IPAs-fantastically complex, awesome yeast character and a nice hop profile as well. Kick ass.

02-19-2012 02:18:54 | More by plfahey
sjstraub

Wisconsin

11-14-2011 21:06:31 | More by sjstraub
BrewerB

3.63/5  rDev -13.8%

Strong hop nose - citrusy and spicy. Sweet malt in the background also quite prominent. Milder banana and fruity ester profile. Alcohol noticed as it warms.

Pale golden, slightly hazy. Generously-sized white head, retains well. Lacing when swirled.

Curious mix of bitterness, citrus/spice hop flavor, and sweet malt character. Medium-sweet in the finish. Expecting bitterness to linger longer for an "IPA". Alcohol flavor appeared later. Would like this to finish drier and expect to have a little more hop flavor.

Light bodied, moderately carbonated. Body resembles a tripel more than an IPA.

Interesting combination of styles. Hoppiness not quite what I'd expect for an IPA. Finish out a little drier to improve drinkability.

07-06-2008 06:55:54 | More by BrewerB
cameraman

Kentucky

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured into a tulip glass, with a large puffy white head on top, with a pale golden color settling in the glass. At first scent, you think, where did this beer come from. Strong hop scents start out, nothing to overbearing though. Then the belgian pale malt and yeast aromas become prevalent, and assert the fruity scents typical with belgian beers. The taste starts with those hops that come across the palate bring some bitterness, but it soon blended away to the wonderful belgian fruitiness and sweetness at the end. It is light in the mouth, not to watery. This is truely a unique beer, a great experimentaion in flavors, and yet seems very easy to drink, a must try.

08-03-2006 03:46:19 | More by cameraman
hckyfn9999

Missouri

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours a hazy golden yellow color with a large foamy white head with great retention and great lacing. Smell is fruitty and floral with a nice sweetness. Taste is initially like an ipa with bitterness from the hops and a nice citrus presence, followed by more of a Belgian taste with a little carmel and fruit. This is great, I love the combo of the two styles. It is very drinkable, and this will definitely be a repeat purchase.

08-21-2006 01:29:35 | More by hckyfn9999
DaveFL1976

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

What a fan-freaking-tastic head. White, fluffy, chunky but smooth (how is that possible?) -- looks like whipped cream. Wowzers. The body is a hazy straw color and doesn't match up to the head, but what beer would?
The smell starts out with piney, flowery hops and finishes off with a fruity belgian character.
The taste isn't as impressive. A definate Belgian fruity undertone with piney hops riding on top. There's just not as smooth a transition as I'd like. Alcohol isn't really noticable.
Mouthfeel is extremely carbonated (perhaps too much so) and rather prickly. Drinkability is good, but slow. The taste and drinkability don't live up to the head and nose of this beer.

11-09-2006 23:26:07 | More by DaveFL1976
KMcG

3.2/5  rDev -24%

A: Golden hazy, and choc full of sediment. This is the second variety I've had from this brewery in the 12oz bottle that I've had trouble keeping the sediment out of my glass. So, my perception of color maybe off from loads of sediment suspended throughout my glass. The head is fluffy, nice retention, and leaves lacey legs on the glass.

S: a sharp lemon scent leads the aroma, but there is also a sugary backbone.

T: also lemon - a bit like Pledge. The citrus tone just seemed like artificial flavoring. It then goes into floral hops and yeast. The last taste in the mouth is a faint licorice.

M: medium body, fine carbonation, and sharp bitterness.

10-02-2011 01:33:33 | More by KMcG
dankjohn

Georgia

11-22-2013 02:04:52 | More by dankjohn
dfried

2.85/5  rDev -32.3%

I was pretty excited to try this since it combines two of my favorite styles, so I went into it with pretty high expectations. Huge head almost looks like a root beer float, thick enough that I even dipped my finger in and tried the foam, which was very hoppy by the way.

The aroma is pretty much what you would expect, syrupy and yeasty malt from a trippel, and hoppy from a DIPA. The hops were quite skunky and resinous, as opposed to a more floral or citrus smell.

The taste was initially like a trippel, yeasty syrupy malt that was a little spicy, followed quickly by an array of hop flavors, mainly perfume-like resinous and floral flavors, with a little citrus flavor. As the beer when on though I had a harder and harder time with it. When the novelty of the combination started wearing off, I did not like the overall feel of the beer. A very pine-like and resinous hop flavor started to dominate the beer in the finish that I was having a hard time stomaching with the thicker Belgian malt. After trying this beer, I feel like DIPAs need a sweeter malt to balance the bitterness from the hops, not a thick starchy syrup malt. There were some good darker fruit flavors that came through from the combination of the sweetness in the malt and the tartness from the hops, but as a whole, I was not too impressed with the taste of this beer.

The mouthfeel was a bit dry from the resinous hops, it wasn't sticky at all from the malt.

The drinkability, for me, was way down since it found the flavor so trying. I appreciate the creativity of this beer, but I just felt like it was the wrong combination of styles, and at least of hops. I want to try a something like this with more citrus flavored hops and less pine-like ones.

07-03-2006 18:57:54 | More by dfried
jlogan7

New Hampshire

10-10-2012 01:54:46 | More by jlogan7
PatronWizard

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Continuing the BA Top 100 quest. Got a big 750 and boldly cracked with lunch; the wifes world famous megaton 50 ingredient salad.

Pineapple color. Absolutely ferocious head. Pure white, thick, bubbly, and eternal. Overflowed the bottle a little before I could pour. The liquid looks very thick, like jello.

Smell is like other tripels I've tried. Fruity. Lemon zest in the forefront. I might be able to smell the hops but I think they are subdued. Had hopes of a hoppier aroma. Sour scent. The bottle actually lists the hops used so this is a nice opportunity to attempt to drain my uneducated palate and nose.

It taste pretty damn good. The front seems quite balanced to me with the hops at the back. Taste better than a regular tripel. Hey, I like hops, friggin sue me. Another few sips brings the hops out even more. Great experiment I think.

Hope the drinkability holds out. I have this 9% 750 all to myself minus the wifes customary 2 oz sampling. Oh, woe is me! Stuck with a big ass bottle of beer I like! Somebody save me! Luckily we're going to see Stone Temple Pilots tonight in Cabazon so the great feeling this bottle is about to instill in me will not be wasted.

Overall: don't be afraid, it's really nice

09-10-2008 20:43:27 | More by PatronWizard
LMH88

09-04-2013 15:40:54 | More by LMH88
yen157

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Turbid and straw yellow, with a sizable white foamy head; quick streams of carbonation reinforce. Familiar Chouffe yeasty nose accented by large (this is Belgian you know) doses of citrus, grass, and candy-sweet malt. Nicely balanced hop flavor and esters, sweet malt finish. Hardly a hint of the 9% ABV. Bitterness is big, nice and big, perhaps a bit out of whack. On second taste, hop flavor seems second compared to the mildly raw bitterness. Very good beer in a bottle. Even better draft. I can’t wait to see what this is like a batch or two once they nail what they’re looking for. Worth seeking out like De Ranke.

03-30-2006 03:11:59 | More by yen157
BeerNDoggerel

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

10-02-2012 01:11:31 | More by BeerNDoggerel
TheBungyo

Washington

4.38/5  rDev +4%

Whew.
I ordered this at the Stumbling Monk and was warned that this would take 8-10 minutes to pour. Being the true BA that I am, I said this was ok ... and I am glad I did.
This was presented to me with the most amazing head I have ever seen. Both of my friends that were with me commented that the head reminded them of a hot fudge sundae covered with whipped cream. I was stunned as I gazed at the bounty before me. I sniffed and caught a whiff of bitter grapefruit and pine. Marvelous!
I nibbled the head and tasted exactly what I smelled with the bitterness ramped up. As I made my way to the actual body of the beer I tasted more of the same coupled with sweet sugary cotton candy and spice. This seemed the perfect marriage of an IPA and a tripel. Mouth was nice and smooth. I instantly wanted another but restrained myself so that I could sample other offerings. A winner of a beer for sure.
6/2
I'm trying this in the bottle for the first time. The head wasn't as nice as it was on tap, but it was still damn good. Body is like pooled honey in my glass. Nose is honey, buggle gum and cotton candy. Nose is leagues away from what it was on tap. Plus, on my first sip on tap all I could taste from the foam was the hops. Here it seems the flavors have meshed (not that I thought balance was a problem before) and really complement each other. Props to Chouffe. You've made what I imagine will influence many other brewers in your country ... and will make you a legend.

04-27-2006 05:37:27 | More by TheBungyo