Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel - Brasserie d'Achouffe

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA TripelHoublon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-13-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,161 | Hads: 2,534
2.93/5  rDev -30.2%

Picked up by my wife because she thought the little guy was cute on the front. Poured into a tulip that does not have a cool or popular brewer's logo on it.

The beer looks and smells beautiful. The color is much lighter than expected, nice and gold. As already mentioned the head is brilliant. A normal pour resulted in the tulip being half beer and half head.

Taste was dissapointing. Drinks like a 5% pilsner with barely a hint of alcohol and a dissapointing finish. I think this beer does not travel well, as it is currently summer here in the US and the bottle is pale green. Why oh why would a brewer work hard than bottle in a green bottle and send his product 1/2 way around the world? I would love to try it in Belgium, I bet its fantastic. Will try again but my hopes aren't too high.

I'm not one prone to hyperbole. My students know that, though I'm not a harsh grader, I rarely ever hand out A's or A+'s. But this is as close to a perfect beer as I've had. The hazy golden-yellow color and medium-thick head simply looks the way beer should look. Inhaling the aromas of hops and hay makes one think of a walk through a Wallonian field in spring. I'm talking some flowers-and-grass-on-a light-breeze shit. Round, delicious hops obviates any comparisons to non-beer flavors. This ale tastes like ale and I mean that in the best way possible.

3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

appearance: hazy golden yellow, lacing galore, and a head retention that lasted for days... literally. i left my empty glass out on the counter and a couple days later when i went back to clean it, the head was still there...crazy.

smell: a beautiful swell of floral hops, citrus, spice, and malt. wonderful.

taste: wow. the complexity is amazing. hops and spice dominate this brew but not too overpowering. the taste of malt shows itself in time. there is a very faint hint of the alcohol content. which is pretty impressive at 9% abv.

mouthfeel: dry and highly carbonated. light and slightly tart. i mean all of these adjectives in a positive way.

drinkability: very highly drinkable. like i said earlier the alcohol content goes almost unoticed. pretty amazing. i could have had more than one bottle, which is rare for me being i'm a bit of a light weight with bigger beers.

3.59/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

A- A slightly opaque 24-carat gold with a rich creamy pure white head
S- Classic Belgian Tripel clovi-ness shines through much brighter than the hops, but definitely not in a bad way
T- Very interesting. Reminds me of the bitter cousin of a Japanese Lager. Hops are much more a bittering aspect than anything else.
M- Intensely carbonated yet silky when it first hits the tongue.
Its a good beer. It doesn't strike me as amazing though. It is easy to enjoy. My palate keeps taking me back to a sushi restaurant (on that note, it would probably pair great with most seafood)

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Appearance- This brew pours a lovely gold. The head is thick and pillowy. Extreme lacing- Super thick head- I am sitting here looking at the brew and the head has now slowly dissipated in some areas and is now resembling a columbus clouds. The beer is fairly opaque, only allowing a bit of light to travel through it.

Smell- This beer smells like a tripel with a bit more hops. Very floraly, Belgian yeast and certainly a bit of hops- but not the American aggressive hops that we have all become accustomed to.

Taste- When the brew first hits my tongue, I get a tart feeling across my mouth. As I continue to drink, I get floral hints with slightly bitter hops. As the beer finishes I get a bit of Belgian yeast / funk combined with the floraly hops, tasting reminiscent to a tripel. Very nice taste.

Drinkability- This is a smooth beer that goes down EASY! I must say that it would be very easy for me to stock and drink this beer throughout a summer.

Thanks to BA member OnSlow (our local brew stocker) for ordering and letting us know that he had it!

4.41/5  rDev +5%

Poured from an 11.2 oz single bottle.

A: Pours a gorgeous cloudy gold with a thick, frothy 3-finger head that laces extremely well. Yeast sediment floats around, giving with the carbonation.

S: Smells of sweet Belgian yeast, yet also accented with hoppiness

T: Starts out like a Belgian double, and finishes with hop bitterness, though doesn't have all of the fruity qualities of an IPA, though theres some slight sweetness already present that could assist it. I great idea though, a tripel/double IPA, and still delicious.

M: Light carbonation assists the intitially sweet backbone of the beer.

D: Drinks rather easily, given its 9.0% abv. Could have probably 2 or 3, then would be a little too soused to want to keep enjoying.

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

S - belgian yeast, bread, bananas, citrusy, hoppy, floral, smells great!
A - golden yellow, hazy, two finger whittish head that takes a long time to recede. And the lacing, Wow!
T - spicy, herbal, citrus, bananas, belgian yeast, and yes, very hoppy.
M - medium bodied, spicy all through out but doesn't linger. No after taste for me.
D - very drinkable, will drink again.

3.86/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Like liquid gold with a nice head at pour that stays around at a deminished state the whole time in glass.

Smell: great. Citrus, green raisins, and awesome Belgian yeast.

Taste: hop, with a note of Belgian yeast. Bright, lemon with a flowery bouquet of hops. Finish is hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: nice bottle conditioned style carbonation. Full and frothy.

Overall: I like this beer, but prefer the Le Chouffe original ale, as the extra hop I. This beer covers up what makes Le Chouffe a truly great beer; a perfect combination on carbonation, Belgian yeast, and a slight hint of hop.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into a tulip glass from a 330ml bottle purchased from a random bottle shop in Ghent, Belgium.

APPEARANCE – Cloudy golden yellow color w/ a very thick off white head that dissipates quickly leaving nice lacing.

SMELL – Spicy and sweet malts w/ faint hop aroma lurking in the background.

TASTE – Light spicy hop flavor w/ a bit of an alcohol burn and a long lasting bitter finish.

MOUTHFEEL – Strong carbonation that accentuates the spicy hop flavor.

OVERALL – A enjoyable beer, not a hop bomb or standard West Coast IPA, but one that I’d buy again if in a pinch while looking for an IPA.

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

Had in pilsner glass at Publick House in Brookline, MA.

It arrived at the table with a substantial amount of frothy, white head over a clear, warm golden body.

Aroma is citrusy and sweet with a hint of hops. Yeasty, bready and sweet with a little pleasant funk.

Taste is citrusy, caramely and more Belgian trippel than American IPA. Hints of pear and other tree fruits. Not too hoppy or hot.
A little yeasty and almost a wheaty, bubblegum flavor.

Smooth, medium carbonation and a slightly dry finish.

Drinkability is excellent for 9%. Very crisp and refreshing.

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Second time tasting, first time reviewing. This is one I would love to experience on tap.

I had been saving this bottle for a couple months. When I poured it into my tulip glass the head was still unbelievable. I could only pour 1/3 of the bottle. Excellent lacing.

Bold tangy smell with yeast. The taste is rich with fruit and yeast with just the right amount of hop. A taste bordering on the best.

The mouthfeel paralleling the look is excellent. Little aftertaste other that the fruit.

This is an excellent Belgian. I will be back if I can.

4.62/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really like the fact that one can taste both the IPA and Belgian components here. They blend very well together but are distinct at the same time. From the smell alone I would think IPA but the Belgian yeast figures prominently in the taste, curbing what might otherwise be a dryly bitter beer. The taste is still primarily hops, though, with complexity added by malts and citrus.

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

A - Light gold to yellow in color. Hazy due to the 1/4" of yeast in the bottle, but I'm not complaining. Head was white and about 3 finger thick in my snifter. Fell rather slowly and lacing was impressive with big foam chunks hanging around.

S - Smelled of Saaz hops and orange blossoms. Bottle said there were Amarillo, Tomahawk, and Saaz hops in there. All I could smell was the Saaz.

T - 9.0%, so it has a warm taste. The hops are there, the Amarillos jump out at me at this point as well as the Saaz. I've never tasted Tomahawk, but I didn't taste any new hops so who knows. Malty and citrusy, more citrus than malt.

M - Medium body with a crisp finish. The alcohol gives a massive warmness to the beer.

D - Overall this is a good beer. I loved the mix of Belgian with IPA. It was a good experience and I would get it again, but only if I could split it with someone. 25.4 ounces it a lot to drink in one sitting.

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

I bought a 750 ml. of this at Bev Max in Stamford Ct. I haven't had this in awhile and decided to review it. I poured into a Piraat tulip glass.

A- It poured a hazy bright gold with a hugh creamy, pillowy head that lasted 3/4 of the beer. It also left tons of thick sticky laceing with lots of very active tiny bubbles.

S- Nice fresh floral hops up front with a slight citrus note. It had all the familiar belgian triple smells yeast, candy, and slight bananas.

T- Delightful! Its like the smell, typical triple with a very nice big hops profile. Starts with a nice floral hops. Then comes a slight citrus profile of oranges and grapefruit followed by sweet candy sugar and honey. It also has a spice profile of clove and corriander and some fruity bananas. Finishes yeasty with a peppery alcohol bite and some hopy bitterness.

M- Fairly light feel with a slight creaminess. Good lively carbonation and finishes with a clean finish with some light hop after taste.

D- I liked this beer a lot! The Belgian IPA's are becoming one of my favorite style of beers. You get the belgian triple style with a nice healthy dose of hops, what's not to like! This beer has a nice balance of triple flavors and hops without being to aggresive. I will happily drink this one on many more occasions. Cheers!

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

This beer was absolutely incredible. Nice golden color with a cloudy appearence with a masssive foamy white head that coated my glass. Wonderful citrus, spiced aromas followed by a crisp and spicy hop flavor that was well-balanced. At 9% abv, The alcohol was well hidden. I have to say this is my favorite Belgian IPA so far.

4.24/5  rDev +1%

This beer was described as a "belgian IPA" by a waiter ...but I didn't find it that exactly

I did love this beer though....nice pale color, I guess typical of modern day triples. Had a very nice head that lasted all the way to the finish

The beer was hoppy, but not IPA hoppy. There was a lot of body in this to balance the somewhat high hop levels. I found it to be a very solid triple.

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured into my Maredsous chalice.
Nice 2 or 3 finger frothy head that settled down with nice coverage. Left lacing with almost every drink. Hoppy/floral aroma but not overpowering at all. Same goes with the flavor-hops are spot on. Very nice Belgian spice-one of the most balanced balance offerings i've ever had of the style. Extremelly drinkable for 9%-I had no problem finishing the bottle.

One of, if not my absolute favorite Belgian IPAs-I will be buying this again.

2.58/5  rDev -38.6%

Served on tap in a .2L Houblon Chouffe flute glass.

Very pretty, nice orange color with a big white head. Smelled of wonderful hops with some belgian yeast funk as expected. Taste was like grapefruit juice gone bad. The citrus hops mixed with the chouffe yeast created a flavor that started good and finished poorly.

I had no interest in having a second one. I like Tripels, I like IPAs, I dont think they mix well. Or, maybe they would with more earthy hops instead of the citrusy.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

A wonderful, layered beer. Massive, foamy head. Crisp hops with orange slices, balanced by a bit of dough and a fairly malty finish. Malty, but not cloying. Excellent mouth feel, with plenty of carbonation that seems to release the flavor without distracting from it. Very drinkable, which is a bit dangerous. ; )

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

I cannot think of many beers I like better than this. Pours a yellowy cloudy/unfiltered straw color with pillows of head. The smell is sweet and floral with a nice hoppy smell of citrus in the background. The taste follows right along with everything from hops to yeast and spice. Just a fantastic beer to drink.

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

Bought this beer as a single after seeing it was a combo of two of my favorites (belgian tripel, and an IPA). Poured a very cloudy golden color with a two and a half finger head, which lingered a half a finger throughout the drink. Aroma was of a lot of citrus but my sinuses have been acting up so my nose is really not up to snuff. Taste was everything I expected. First drink there was a lot of hops up front, then mild malts, with a dry hopped finish. After that it was strange. Some drinks I primarily tasted the first combo, others were a rich malty taste with a hoppy finish. Very nice and different. Mouthfeel was good, with good carbonation and a dry finish. Drinkability was a little too good,(if thats possible) because I found myself sipping on it continuously because it was so tasty but different than anything I've previously had. I will be buying this again.... soon.

4.14/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bomber to tulip

Massive fluffy white head on clear, straw yellow.The head hangs around with lots of lacing.

Smell is grass, lemony hops,and bread.

Taste is the same citrus hops, green apple, raisins and yeasty bread. Very dry, lasting finish.

Medium high carbonation.Crisp

Another great beer from another great brewery.It's like hoppy champagne. What's not to like?

3.88/5  rDev -7.6%

Tap into a Tulip
A:cloudy straw-colored, moderate head with some lacing

S: mild grassy aromas, light hoppy spice

T: Strong but not overpowering alpha bitterness to start, fruity yeast and citrus presence. Dry and pleasing finish.

M: This brew has moderate body and increased carbonation.
The fizz and the hops leave an almost parched mouthfeel (it is the only way I can describe it..)

D: enjoyable to drink, although the feeling of disproportionate bitterness wouldn't make it a session for me

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

A: a murky light orange. Substantial head with good leg on the glass
S:crisp, lightly penatrative
T: clean, nice lingering aftertaste that I find goes well with smokey/spice foods (ribs. brisket)
M: creamy, good fizz but not mouth filling
D: very drinkable, with or without food. Look forward to finding it on tap!

Will buy this one again if I ever find it. interested in cellaring but unsure about the bottlecap

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

I had this once quite awhile ago and just revisited it now! The nose is bursting with floral & citrus hops. It's a gorgeous pour; straw gold in color, cloudy and with a great, pudding-like head that lasts. The mouth feel is nice; juicy and very easy-drinking. The flavor! I don't want to gush so I won't but if I did I'd say WOWWW!!!! It's loaded with citrus, honey, pine, white pepper, and nicely malted. Great balance. I didn't detect the alcohol so much, so this went down way too easily.

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel from Brasserie d'Achouffe