Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel - Brasserie d'Achouffe

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA TripelHoublon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-13-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel Alström Bros
Theogre83

Kansas

12-25-2013 18:43:22 | More by Theogre83
dfried

2.85/5  rDev -32.3%

I was pretty excited to try this since it combines two of my favorite styles, so I went into it with pretty high expectations. Huge head almost looks like a root beer float, thick enough that I even dipped my finger in and tried the foam, which was very hoppy by the way.

The aroma is pretty much what you would expect, syrupy and yeasty malt from a trippel, and hoppy from a DIPA. The hops were quite skunky and resinous, as opposed to a more floral or citrus smell.

The taste was initially like a trippel, yeasty syrupy malt that was a little spicy, followed quickly by an array of hop flavors, mainly perfume-like resinous and floral flavors, with a little citrus flavor. As the beer when on though I had a harder and harder time with it. When the novelty of the combination started wearing off, I did not like the overall feel of the beer. A very pine-like and resinous hop flavor started to dominate the beer in the finish that I was having a hard time stomaching with the thicker Belgian malt. After trying this beer, I feel like DIPAs need a sweeter malt to balance the bitterness from the hops, not a thick starchy syrup malt. There were some good darker fruit flavors that came through from the combination of the sweetness in the malt and the tartness from the hops, but as a whole, I was not too impressed with the taste of this beer.

The mouthfeel was a bit dry from the resinous hops, it wasn't sticky at all from the malt.

The drinkability, for me, was way down since it found the flavor so trying. I appreciate the creativity of this beer, but I just felt like it was the wrong combination of styles, and at least of hops. I want to try a something like this with more citrus flavored hops and less pine-like ones.

07-03-2006 18:57:54 | More by dfried
PatronWizard

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Continuing the BA Top 100 quest. Got a big 750 and boldly cracked with lunch; the wifes world famous megaton 50 ingredient salad.

Pineapple color. Absolutely ferocious head. Pure white, thick, bubbly, and eternal. Overflowed the bottle a little before I could pour. The liquid looks very thick, like jello.

Smell is like other tripels I've tried. Fruity. Lemon zest in the forefront. I might be able to smell the hops but I think they are subdued. Had hopes of a hoppier aroma. Sour scent. The bottle actually lists the hops used so this is a nice opportunity to attempt to drain my uneducated palate and nose.

It taste pretty damn good. The front seems quite balanced to me with the hops at the back. Taste better than a regular tripel. Hey, I like hops, friggin sue me. Another few sips brings the hops out even more. Great experiment I think.

Hope the drinkability holds out. I have this 9% 750 all to myself minus the wifes customary 2 oz sampling. Oh, woe is me! Stuck with a big ass bottle of beer I like! Somebody save me! Luckily we're going to see Stone Temple Pilots tonight in Cabazon so the great feeling this bottle is about to instill in me will not be wasted.

Overall: don't be afraid, it's really nice

09-10-2008 20:43:27 | More by PatronWizard
Swift989

District of Columbia

06-24-2014 04:29:07 | More by Swift989
LMH88

09-04-2013 15:40:54 | More by LMH88
yen157

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Turbid and straw yellow, with a sizable white foamy head; quick streams of carbonation reinforce. Familiar Chouffe yeasty nose accented by large (this is Belgian you know) doses of citrus, grass, and candy-sweet malt. Nicely balanced hop flavor and esters, sweet malt finish. Hardly a hint of the 9% ABV. Bitterness is big, nice and big, perhaps a bit out of whack. On second taste, hop flavor seems second compared to the mildly raw bitterness. Very good beer in a bottle. Even better draft. I can’t wait to see what this is like a batch or two once they nail what they’re looking for. Worth seeking out like De Ranke.

03-30-2006 03:11:59 | More by yen157
Farnswurth

02-25-2013 20:01:53 | More by Farnswurth
Ozzylizard

3.69/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle dated best by 042016 at 45 degrees into snifter
Fruity aroma
Head large (5 cm), white, somewhat fizzy, slowly diminishing to 4 mm ring with a single large island
Lacing poor with a few irregular small islands of large bubbles
Body golden, hazy
Flavor begins with a light sour fruitiness which quickly dies to leave bitterness followed by chalky aftertaste. No alcohol, no malt, no diacetyl.
Palate is light to medium, watery, lively carbonation

A pleasant IPA with a light fruity flavor.

06-17-2014 01:12:23 | More by Ozzylizard
TheBungyo

Washington

4.38/5  rDev +4%

Whew.
I ordered this at the Stumbling Monk and was warned that this would take 8-10 minutes to pour. Being the true BA that I am, I said this was ok ... and I am glad I did.
This was presented to me with the most amazing head I have ever seen. Both of my friends that were with me commented that the head reminded them of a hot fudge sundae covered with whipped cream. I was stunned as I gazed at the bounty before me. I sniffed and caught a whiff of bitter grapefruit and pine. Marvelous!
I nibbled the head and tasted exactly what I smelled with the bitterness ramped up. As I made my way to the actual body of the beer I tasted more of the same coupled with sweet sugary cotton candy and spice. This seemed the perfect marriage of an IPA and a tripel. Mouth was nice and smooth. I instantly wanted another but restrained myself so that I could sample other offerings. A winner of a beer for sure.
6/2
I'm trying this in the bottle for the first time. The head wasn't as nice as it was on tap, but it was still damn good. Body is like pooled honey in my glass. Nose is honey, buggle gum and cotton candy. Nose is leagues away from what it was on tap. Plus, on my first sip on tap all I could taste from the foam was the hops. Here it seems the flavors have meshed (not that I thought balance was a problem before) and really complement each other. Props to Chouffe. You've made what I imagine will influence many other brewers in your country ... and will make you a legend.

04-27-2006 05:37:27 | More by TheBungyo
Wisconsinality

Wisconsin

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Poured from 750 ml into Duvel tulip.

A- Pours a murky golden with a good amount of sediment floating around. A nice pillowy head leaves some great lacing along side of the glass.

S- Right away I pick up the Belgian yeast and a good helping of candy sugar. The hops seem to hide in the background and there is some grassiness in there as well. If I didn't know any better, I would just thought this was a tripel from the smell of it.

T- Again, the Belgian yeast and sugar dominate at first sip. There is some grass in there and the dryness from the hops. I also detect a little spice in there, clove and maybe even a little coriander. The alcohol never peaks through.

M- A nice crisp and clean beer. Medium bodied with a bit of dryness at the end. Also there is a small amount of bitterness.

D- Crisp and easy drinking is the way I could explain it. Goes down easy despite the high ABV. Can't even notice them. A good interpretation of the style.

02-16-2010 00:09:53 | More by Wisconsinality
SDG1070

3.25/5  rDev -22.8%

01-20-2013 01:20:53 | More by SDG1070
benito

Oregon

3.63/5  rDev -13.8%

Other than samples of Hop It, this is my first Belgian IPA! Pale in color, this brew has an incredible head that clumps up, laces that glass, and refuses to disappear in any way.

The aromas show a little too much barnyard funk and not enough hops for a brew that purports to meld traditional Belgian styles with an IPA. In my ideal Belgian IPA, I think I'd get a more distinct, and maybe American hop presence in the bouquet.

That said, the flavor is spot on: a nice mix of typial Belgian spiciness (though it seems to be more in the saison/farmhouse tradition rather than the monastic/tripel one) and a dry, bitter finish. It drinks far too easily for a 9% brew, and I was amazed by how light the overall impression was--so much so that I've docked it points because it misrepresents the true soul of this beer.

This is a fascinating experiment and a solid, if flawed brew. I will be more than happy if I can make a Belgian IPA that enters the same ballpark as this brew.

04-19-2007 03:03:50 | More by benito
BobZ

4.38/5  rDev +4%

750ml 25.4 Oz. bottle. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Just like La Chouffe, murky yellow with a very rich head, the head hangs around throughout the beer and the lacing is excellent.

Smell: Hops aroma is up front with both citrus and floral, actually very pleasant, some sweetness and spice are also evident.

Taste: The hop flavor is dominant but not overpowering, hoppy throughout yet still well balanced, spicy sweetness lurks beneath. This may be my favorite "hoppy" style beer.

Mouth feel: Again, like La Chouffe, very creamy on the palate, really adds to the enjoyment of this beer.

Drinkability: Very smooth and delicious easy to keep drinking.

Another excellent offering from La d'Achouffe.

03-02-2011 20:10:00 | More by BobZ
NoLeafClover44

Delaware

3.58/5  rDev -15%

750 mL bottle poured into DFH snifter.

A - Pours a hazy golden color with a huge pillow of root beer float head. Highly active carbonation is visible throughout the body. The head continues to grow (above the rim of the glass) for several minutes before it settles back down to around two fingers. Coats the glass with a spiderweb of lacing. Lots of sediment in this one, although I tried my best to leave some in the bottle.

S - Grass, citrus, Belgian yeast, and herbs. Some tart grapes give this one some wine characteristics as well. Hops are overshadowed by lemon peel, flowers, and grass.

T - Same elements as in the nose. Citrus is prominent on the front with sourdough bread malt taking over in the middle. Finish has faint hops, but I am left with a bready aftertaste. Pretty average for the style.

M - Carbonation is high and the feel is pretty light. Drinks like a beer with much less alcohol, one of the dangers of Belgian beers.

O - I was pleasantly surprised to see this one at Whole Foods and scooped one up. Belgian IPA is one of my favorite styles, but this one drank more like a tripel. There wasn't really a hop bite or spicy finish. This was a longtime want, but I was a little bit disappointed.

07-02-2012 01:32:12 | More by NoLeafClover44
charlesw

3.83/5  rDev -9%

Cloudy (and lumpy) pale orange with a huge white head that lasts and lasts. Smells tripely - it's all about candy and light caramel. It smells.. Astringent. Which isn't a big surprise in a Belgian and darn it, it has an astringent flavor to it as well. It tastes like... A cross between a Hop^3 and a really astringent Belgian. Sweet, floral hops. A little bitter in the end. I'd think that without the astringency it would be awesome.

08-06-2008 21:43:15 | More by charlesw
Onslow

3.53/5  rDev -16.2%

bought in to my store, sold half a case in one day! ... pours with an obscenely huge white rocky pederasts head and lacing ... lots of sweet honey and fresh pie with caramel (then blended on puree) .... is very smooth and delicious ... another beuty from the chouffers!! ...broccoli heads??

07-21-2008 15:34:14 | More by Onslow
ibbjamin

2.45/5  rDev -41.8%

Purchased an Australian Longneck from BevMo in San Jose, CA and poured into my Chimay Chalice. A sticker is affixed to the back of the bottle with the numbers 83497 on it. I am not sure if this is from the brewer, distributor or store. It may be insignificant/nominal.

Very carbonated. Despite settling, it did leak upon cracking it. A huge inch white fizzy head after a gentle pour. Very cloudy goldish/orange/yellow color. So cloudy that I can't tell if there are small floaters of carbonation bubbles hanging around. Superb head retention. Strong, snowy lacing.

Smells of good yeast, dank bread, and mild spicy/floral hops. Little malt character. Some hints of citrus fruits. Despite the Amarillo, Tomahawk and Saaz hops added (as per listed on the bottle), this has only a mild hop aroma.

A bit too yeasty for my liking. More of a personal taste thing I guess. I wish it was a bit more balanced. Again, the hops are there, but I am left wanting more of them.

The mouth is thick and creamy. The viscosity of this one leaves a mouth-coating aftertaste for days. Those really must have been floaters in there. A bit too heavy on the carbonation. Medium to full bodied.

10-15-2008 02:19:45 | More by ibbjamin
jlogan7

New Hampshire

10-10-2012 01:54:46 | More by jlogan7
alkemy

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

The pour is a hazy almost opaque yellow out of the petit brown bottle. Slightly off white head looks like a meringue and really sticks around. My Sam Adams perfect pint glass might have aided this. Smells fantastic. Yeasty and fruity and the Saaz hops stood out. Lots of lemon and a little clove as well as a touch of bubblegum. There's a doughy sweetness when this hits your mouth, but it's quickly replaced by a stream of other flavors. There's some peppery clove blending to grapefruit. Then a touch of vanilla comes in before the grapefruit reappears and establishes the lingering taste. You almost have to try to taste the alcohol in this...pretty impressive for 9%. I felt it in my stomach more than anything. Smooth, creamy feel that goes down effortlessly. Pretty impressive beer.

11-19-2010 00:38:29 | More by alkemy

Georgia

11-22-2013 02:04:52 | More by dankjohn
rtratzlaff

4.63/5  rDev +10%

Houblon pours a slightly hazy apricot colored body below a bone white head. The lacing slowly slips down the glass when tipped.

The aromas are fruit like malts, Belgian clove like yeast, and lots of Saaz hops spice.

The flavor is sweet Belgian malts up front with a strong sharp bitterness from the hops. Its all there bitter, sweet, earthy. With warmth the beer sweetened up quite a bit lost alot of the spice from the hops. It changed quite a bit from the first sip to the last and I can't figure out which was more enjoyable.

The mouthfeel was lush and full with good carbonation.

Drinkability is dang near dangerous at 9%. This is what beer was meant to be. My $2 10 oz pour was probably the best beer purchase I've made in a long time.

01-15-2010 21:27:34 | More by rtratzlaff
WillAndSarah

Ontario (Canada)

07-06-2013 18:21:53 | More by WillAndSarah
callmescraps

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Grabbed this one on a whim. I have to admit, it's a nice looking bottle. I've had Chouffe before, always like, never love. But it's time to revisit.

Appearance- A nice cloudy gold color. Beautiful two inches of thick meringue head. Not going anywhere at all. Peaks in the middle. Absolutely absurd head. Just comical. Wow. Laces well. I have to give it a perfect score, it's an incredible looking beer.

Smell- Lots of Belgian yeast. A little cider and some spice. Some lemon rind, a hint of grapefruit. Definitely some grassiness. Estery. It's nice.

Taste- More lemon rind, very citrus. Grassy and bitter. Some peppery notes. The finish is very bitter with grass. More booze than expected. Not as much fruity amarillo as expected. Some real graininess on the finish.

Mouthfeel- Nice and rich. Good carbonation. A little creamier than I'd prefer.

Drinkability- The grassiness, the graininess, and a little heat doesn't do it for me.

Eh. It's a pretty good Belgian IPA, but I was hoping for more. I thought the amarillo might go further. Instead it had more grass and lemon rind than I'd prefer. Also, surprisingly boozy. It looks incredible however, including the great 11.2 oz bottle.

05-04-2010 04:39:32 | More by callmescraps