Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel - Brasserie d'Achouffe

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA TripelHoublon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-13-2006

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel Alström Bros
4.17/5  rDev -1%

Had this at the Alibi Room in Vancouver.

A: Slightly cloudy golden straw. 3/4" white head that dissipated after about two mins.

S: A floral hop type of smell. Not much citrus to this. Smells fresh and clean.

T: Front loaded with hop taste and back loaded with the tripel taste. It really is like the combination of two different beers because of how it transitions while its in your mouth. Crisp aftertaste and low bitterness. My only criticism is that the beer seemed to taste best at the top of the glass and become more harsh as I got further down, not to a bad degree but it just became stronger. Never experienced that before...

M: Light body, dry, fine medium to high carbonation, what you'd expect from a good tripel.

O: Extremely interesting beer as I am more of a fan of hoppy IPAs and ESBs than tripels. Maybe the beer could have been a little tighter with the flavors, but possibly the beer I had was starting to pull apart flavor wise. Regardless, its a recommendable beer.

Last summer, for my birthday, Sheryl surprised me with a beer making class. It was awesome! We went to Great Fermentations and took a class on making beer. It was awesome! We even got a kit for our first batch. We picked an IPA for our first round. We still have a few bottles left, and hope to make more this summer.

I got excited when a Dobbelen IPA Tripel came up. But it has a much smaller IBU than most American IPAs. However, a MUCH higher ABV. So it can’t be so bad. Plus, it smells like a wet, European IPA. Imagine a wet dog… but only in your glass. (Trust me, it’s a good smell… it just smells wet. Trust me, smell it and you will see .)

It doesn’t look like an IPA in the glass. It almost looks like a wheat beer. I expect dark, deep rust colors from a good IPA. Or maybe I have never had a good IPA. Let’s drink.

A first there is a touch of carbonation, then you are smacked in the face with the bitterness. It might only be 90 IBUs, but man… the mouthfeel and the aftertaste are incredible. THAT is what I expect from an IPA. Whoa, that aftertaste is still there… some thirty seconds later. The head gets in the way at first; it’s thick and foamy. But once you see past that this beer is delicious. I really dig this brew.

There is a certain smoothness at first too. It’s almost like you are drinking a fruit juice or something. I wouldn’t say thick… but close. Regardless, this is a great beer, a wonderful addition to the 1001 Bottles list, and one that I will totally buy again. I wonder if they make this on draft? Bottoms up everyone!

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured from a 750ml bottle...

Appearance: Hazy golden honey-like pour with a 2 finger head beautiful frothy head and extensive lacing.

Smell: Real sweet smell and strong hop influence.

Taste: Intense herbal hops with a sweet candied kick.

Mouthfeel: This one requires sip after sip to fully appreciate as it sits lightly dry and carbonated but explosive in it's own right.

Overall: I will be buying this one and the rest from this brewery as this was my first from them as well as my first Tripel. A must try.

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%

On tap off a freshly tapped barrel.

A: Deep, slighlty hazy yellow. Strong two and a half finger head. Fantastic lacing, my glass was coated from top to bottom.

S: Reminds me a lot of La Chouffe with a stronger hop presence. Belgian yeast, spicy fruits, almost like a tripel.

T: Yep, very similar to a tripel. A solid hop presence with the always identifiable belgian yeast. Bannana, pear, and some other citrus I can't pick out. Pretty damn tasty.

M: Probably its shining point. Alcohol is almost undectable. Good carbonation. Smooth with a good bite.

O: Belgian IPA's have always confused me a bit, they seem to be a hybrid of other belgian styles. That said, I really enjoyed this one. Glad I had the chance to taste this fresh on tap. Must try.

3.7/5  rDev -12.1%

My wife came home a day with a 75 bottle of this IPA and the second thing I did (the first was a kiss to her) was checking the review on BA: A
I waited a while for the right occasion to drink it, but I don't remember wich one it was, because i drunk this IPA again and again, in 33cl bottle and on tap in Achouffe itself, wondering what was wrong, if it was me or the beer.
Tonight I've just finished a 33cl bottle of Houblon Chouffe that comes directly from the Achouffe shop in Achouffe, so it's time to add my two cents.
Good appearance in its Houblon glass (that I don't find having the right shape, neither I like it very much) good head (even if it does not last very long), the goldest gold you can imagine on top, paler on bottom (since the glass narrows). Smell and taste are dominated by hops, and it has a dry, bitter and tart finish I definitely don't like very much. Probably that's the point, it has a so hoppy character I can't deal with. I find it's a good beer, and two slices of gouda did the job to finish it... But... BA says "Generally, Belgian IPAs are considered too hoppy by Belgian beer drinkers". I'm definitely a Belgian beer drinker.

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

A ~ Strong golden color with very generous and fluffy, foamy head....at least 2-3 fingers laying on top....

S ~ Musty, grass with a little barnyard going on.... some yeast and a mix of floral aromas seeping through

T ~ Little sweeter than I expected, but very tasty! Belgian thru and thru, as the yeasty-breadiness and floralness are present.

M ~ Balanced beer. Well hidden 9%.

O ~ A great choice if you're wanting to dabble in beer from Belgium.

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

@ Eastern Standard.

Cloudy gold color with an immense rocky head. Lace stuck everywhere to my wine glass. Why a wine glass you ask? Because that's what Eastern Standard served it to me in.

Bottle has an adorable little gnome on the front and a pictorial representation of the hop bill on the back. Tomahawk is represented by feathers, amarillo by a sombrero and saaz by what appears to be a knight's helmet.

Aroma is musty sweet and airy with the peppery saaz making the most noise. Grass and an underlayer of American citrus.

Dry grass and hay taste with the peppery saaz once again coming to the forefront. Citrusy background. Mouthfeel is a great combination of full, chewy and expansive yet not heavy. Finishes dry.

I was expecting to find a citrus bomb and got a pleasant, airy, saaz bomb. I love the springtime feel that Achouffe has to their beers.

3.73/5  rDev -11.4%

750ml into a tulip. Pours a heavy hazy orangery gold, towering dense frothy head, ridiculous lacing.

Aroma is all about the hops. Beneath lies the fruity goodness of a spicy, peppery tripel.

IPA dominates over the tripel. The tripel just begins to register before the hops take over cutting short any complexity that may lie below. No citrus, no sense of alcohol. Medium hop bitterness fades the length of the aftertaste. Full bodied shy of cloying.

Improves significantly with warmth as the tripel comes forward.
cheers
jd

A: Pours a hazy honey color with 3 fingers of white head that recedes into a layer of foam on top. Unfortunately I see some floaties. Does that mean it's past freshness?

S: Not much going on here. A faint hop aroma, some alcohol, slight hint of spice.

T: A slightly spicy/hop mix of flavor hits first, followed by a grassy and slightly bitter aftertaste, but overall one note and uninspiring.

M: Thick, bubbly, warms well.

O: Nothing interesting about this one. I wonder if the floaties mean it's past it's due date or if it's just natural for the beer to have it. Also, I'm not sure if this is a tripel, or a belgian IPA, or a dubbel, or what? Definitely won't buy again.

4.54/5  rDev +7.8%

Found a bottle of this in the fridge at Al's of Hampden in Enola, PA. Despite their extensive tap selection, I chose a bottle of this just because it is something I've always wanted to try but can never really find (I've had La Chouffe and McChouffe in the past). Poured into a tulip glass from the bottle.

Once the bottle is popped open, you better pour it directly into the glass. Just like triple karmeliet, this thing wants to immediately overflow. Then, a big 3-4 finger head sits on the top of the brew in the glass.... very slowly dissipating.

Appearance - Golden yellow in color with 3-4 finger fluffy white head lingering on top right after the initial pour from the bottle. Enormous chunks of yeast noted to be scattered throughout the glass when the beer is examined next to a light source. Nicely carbonated like you'd expect from your typical "living" bottle- conditioned Belgian ale. Overall, very nice-looking beer.

Smell - Candied sugar. Nice Belgian yeast esters. Smells like your typical authentic Belgian tripel would smell.

Taste - Incredible would be the best word I'd use to describe the taste. I love Belgian tripels and I think that's what this tastes like.... one of the better ones I've had recently actually (it's my favorite style and I've had plenty).
The one thing I will say however is that I don't get an IPA-vibe at all. I don't think there is any such thing as a "Belgian IPA". IPA (at least the hoppy floral kind Americans love so much) is a British style originally that predominantly American microbreweries are really pushing to the limits these days (and doing it quite well as american IPAs are my second favorite style of beer).
I just don't get that hoppy floral scent or taste from this thing. Same thing goes for Piraat and a few other "Belgian IPAs" I've had. This isn't a bad thing because I love Belgian yeasty flavors and I wouldn't want strong hop flavors overpowering that.... however I just think "Double IPA Tripel" is a little bit goofy sounding and not 100% accurate.

Mouthfeel - Nice. taste lingers. nicer and nicer as the beer warms. carbonated nicely. goes down smooth. slightly dry but that's not a bad thing in this case.

Overall - If you're looking for your typical, outstanding, well-rounded Belgian tripel, you need not look any further because it is truly incredible. If you see IPA on the bottle and you are a hop-hound and you're expecting this to resemble a typical American IPA (with some belgian flavors mixed in), that's not what you're going to get. I love tripels so I highly highly recommend it. Enjoy.

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

750ml green bottle from Supermarket Liquors in Ft. Collins, CO. $10.50. Into a NB Globe.

A: Pours a pale gold with a stark white head that foams up to a good three inches that slowly is settling into a nice cap. Beautiful lacing on this beer. Excellent clarity. Really a nice looking beer.

S: Big whiff of skunky hops (why do they do green bottles?), and a ton of yeast esters underneath the hop profile. Quite floral. Surprisingly resinous in the hop profile as well. Lightly grainy as well. Smells nice.

T: Definitely a nice tasting beer, big blast of herbal hops right up front that leads into an estery, fruity yeast profile that really stands up to the hops. Nicely floral as well. Really a lot of flavors here. Decent amount of malt as well, sweet little bit of graininess. Nice amount of bitterness, and no booze at all. Quite tasty.

M: Lighter body, effervescent carbonation, and really dry, slightly warm, but never boozey. Nice.

O: A really nice beer from a style that I'm generally not a huge fan of. This could be a dangerous beer, as there isn't hardly any booze for a 9% beer. I could definitely see me buying this again, or having it at a bar. Very nicely done.

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

Date Drunk: 12/21/10

750mL into pint glass

I don't know why this is considered a belgian ipa... tastes like a tripel. Lemon grass flavor that is smooth to the mouth, but high carbonation. Gets extremely better as it warms. You cannot even tell this is a 9.0% beer.

3.91/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured from the 750-mL bottle into a tulip.

A: Cloudy, thick, golden straw color. Big three-finger head that recedes to leave a lot of thick lace.

N: Banana & lemon & lime.

T/M: Sweet lemony flavor gives way to banana bread. Slightly oily texture; this beer is very well carbonated, complimenting the oil.

Not as much hop characteristics as I expected, although the hop oil is visibly evident. I had this beer on tap at Wurstküche in Los Angeles, and I remember the hop characteristics to be much more evident--maybe this is because of the bottle conditioning, maybe due to age. Not as impressed by this as I would like to be, but then again, this is not my favorite style. Still rated to style though.

3.94/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a pale hazy golden. Plenty of sediment, little carbonation and a nice 3-finger eggshell head. The didn't last long but it was a pretty pour while it was around.

Wow! This one smells incredibly delicious. A nice floral and yeasty punch right up front that dominates. There is a sweetness in there too. Hops are there but way in the background and not nearly as noticeable as the West Coast IPAs I'm accustomed to.

The taste is Belgian yeast and a nice floral that turns to bitter. The sweetness that I smelled is there but not as powerful as expected from the smell. Hops are nonexistent in the taste.

Its light and crisp and quite refreshing. Being a 9%, I'm a bit surprised by the alcohol here. Isn't tasted much but the drying quality reminds me of a dry Chardonnay.

Overall this was a solid pick up. Its tasty, light and crisp. Definitely a venture out of the typical IPA realm but not an unwelcome one.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Colour is very light brown, almost yellow and bit hazy resembling of some german wheat beers, though this one is more clear than most of the Hefe beers.

Pretty strong carbonation and thick foam, that stays on glass after pouring a long while.

Smell resembles that of a popular Velko Popovicky Kozel and even taste have similarities, although everything is one or two step stronger than in Velko. Especially hops are clearly stronger.

This was somewhat a surprise for me. I couldn't expect that immediately I smell and taste this one, I start to compare this to Velko Light. I like Velko and so I like this, but this bier is made in Belgium, in a land of strong and fulll monastery beers, instead of Czech Republic and is almost twice as strong in alcohol content than the beer I'm comparing it.

I don't know. Perhaps my mouth is lying to me tonight, but in any case thumbs up for this beer!

Edit: And I love the logo on the bottle. Caught my eyes in the liquer store, that's for sure.

3.85/5  rDev -8.6%

First had: on tap at Eulogy, Philly, PA

Served on tap in a stem glass. Poured a hazy yellow, almost reminiscent of a witbier. Citrusy nose with a bit of spice. Light taste, yet full-bodied. Slightly citrusy, with a smooth hoppiness that wasn't too strong. Very pleasant and drinkable.

4.38/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml into a Stone Cali Belgique glass

Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a fluffy white head that fades to some lacing.

Earthy grass hop smell. Some bready malts and yeast also.

Tastes like lemon zest. Mild bitter hop flavor. Crisp and a little dry. The alcohol is very well hidden.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium and is well carbonated.

Overall is excellent and is one of my favorite Belgian beers.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a hazy golden brown with two fingers of pillowy white head. Some yeast is suspended. Head leaves a lot of lacing behind.

Smell is awesome,, combining the best elements of a Belgian yeast and IPA hoppiness. Some sweet malts come through the smell as well.

Taste is crisp and clean, with a great hop presence balanced nicely by sweet malt. Hops dominate however, leaving some nice lingering bitterness.

Great mouthfeel, Realtively light and crisp.

Excellent overall. Clearly the best Belgian IPA I've had.

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

A- 4 Pours a hazy golden orange color with a fluffy and sticky bone colored head. Lacing all over.

S- 3.5 This is a little heavy on the malt and yeast side, and I don't get as much hops as I anticipated. It does have a combination that makes dark fruit come to mind.

T- 4 It is mildly hopped up front which is quickly tempered by the Belgian yeast and malt tastes. I'd expect a bit more hops in the flavor but it is good and balanced. Only a touch of alcohol is present considering the high ABV.

M- 4 This appeared to be highly carbonated on the pour as it produced a massive head, but it doesn't feel that way and is a good level, maybe slightly above average. It is medium in body and has a fairly dry finish.

D- 4 I could enjoy a few of these. It grew on me as I made my way through. I'd like to try more of the style, however, because it was quite different from other IPAs that I've had. Maybe a fresher bottle would produce more of the hoppiness that I expected? Either way, a good brew overall.

4.17/5  rDev -1%

A - Poured from a 750mL bottle a bright, slightly hazed, yellow. Big white pillow that dissipated into a thin head that left nice lace all the way down the glass.

S - Light hoppy aroma for an IPA. Not much of the citrus or floral that is expected.

T - Nice balance between the hops and the typical Belgian malt. Finishes dry with little bitterness. None of the alcohol that would be expected in a triple.

M - A lot of carbonation for a beer with such a thin head. Body is not too heavy and makes for a very refreshing drink.

O - I may have just found my favorite Belgian beer. This will go great with a spicy dish like BBQ or chili.

4.95/5  rDev +17.6%

750 ml dark green bottle with date of 7/7/13 on it. The family loved the bottle with the gnome on the front. We had a slight mishap. The beer was stored on it's side and when I opened it we had a beer fountain. Sadly, I lost about 20% of the bottle, which was a tragedy because I loved this beer!

A- Very cloudy with a nice golden color. Amazing head that just lingered on and left beautiful lacing all the way down.

S- Definite lemony and fresh cut grass aroma, with great hops smell. Just awesome.

T&M-Can't really put it into words. Just get a bottle and you'll see. really, really good.

O-A very enjoyable bottle of beer. I picked this up in Nashua, NH for something like $8.99. What a deal when compared to other 750 ml bottles at up to $4.00 more!

4.25/5  rDev +1%

On tap @ Monk's Café (Philadelphia, PA) on 4/2/11. Served in a flute.

Pours a crystal clear gold, topped with a finger-sized cap of rigid eggshell-white head. It retains with roughly a ¼ finger of creamy richness, which rings the sides of the glass with thick sticky lacing. Just a really nice rich and soapy look here. The aroma is fresh and bright with citric character in the nose, along with tight grains, a ripe fruitiness, and a gentle leafy spiciness. This just has a solid fresh bite in the nose.

The taste is alive with bright citric hops and a leafy bitterness in the mouth. More subtle notes of softer fruit flavors mix with a flat sweet graininess across the back of the profile. The finish is dry and spicy, and fairly clean feeling, with no lingering yeast presence. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a crisp and lively feel that is undercut by more of a hoppy oiliness underneath. Wow, I didn't realize until I went to review this, that the ABV was 9%! The alcohol is beautifully hid here, adding to the overall smoothness and drinkibility of this.

There's a reason that this is one of the top ranked Belgian IPAs on the site and that's because it's damn good! I loved how the fruit and spice notes from the yeast were very subtle here, almost to the point where you could have mistaken them for hop characteristics. And the overall drinkable nature was VERY good for the bigger size of this. I'm not usually a huge fan of this style but the emphasis on the hop flavors and overall clean feel really won me over here in a big way. I think having this on draft really made a big difference here.

4.42/5  rDev +5%

A superb example of the Belgian IPA style. The aroma is an intoxicating blend of Belgian yeast and earthy hops. The beer is a beautiful pale golden color with a thick frothy 4 finger head. The taste starts of sweet with notes of the yeast then finishes dry and crisp with the hops. The 9% abv is well hidden is the beer and I could easily session this beer but would end up rather drunk. This great beer please try it and enjoy .
Cheers

4.16/5  rDev -1.2%

appearance; thick, stiff white head, excellent retention and messy spider web-like lacing. Hazy, straw yellow body.

smell; grape fruit rind and white sugar, some sweet, biscuty malts and alcohol. A hint of rustic yeast in the backround from start to finish.

taste; sugary lemon rind bitters from start to finish before fading to a yeasty, alcoholic finish. Malt profile is not overly strong but keeps the bitterness down. No resiny flavors thank goodness!

mouthfeel; medium bodied with a sticky finish. Some puckering bitterness coats the palate and fights with some sweetness to make an interesting drink. Very pleasant carbonation.

overall; this is an IPA but yet the hops don't make me forget that it's also a beer...a malt beverage. Great jobs to the brewery for making a delicious beer and not just catering to hopheads.

4.46/5  rDev +5.9%

Great! a very easy to drink Belgian for those that are entering this category and have been turned off by some of the really strong/sweet/challenging ones.

This has a really full hop presence if you look for it. Well, you don't have to look far for the bitterness, but the full hop taste is also really there, especially on the after taste and there is hop aroma there. It's probably quite hoppy but it seems to be so well balanced out by the Belgian yeast and by it being unfiltered.

A - Golden unfiltered greatness. White foamy head leaving some nice lacing.

S - Belgian like yeasty smell, slight yummy skunk and look for the really nice fresh Amarillo hop aroma.

T - Great upfront taste! Quite flavorful. A good amount of hop bitterness that is nicely balanced with a malty yeasty background. It may not be complex as other belgians, but for this style, it's bang on.

M - Really fresh and cleansing. Good carbonation.

Drinkability - Excellent, though it's 9%! It's so easy to drink and remains flavorful, it's pretty to finish the whole large bottle!

O - I'm buying this again. I'd really like to try this with food of that region.

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel from Brasserie d'Achouffe