Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel - Brasserie d'Achouffe

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA TripelHoublon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-13-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 750 ml bottle into a tulip glass. Opened the bottle and foam shot out like mad!...without any sort of shaking and being in my fridge for days...not a good start...

Appears a cloudy golden orange with two finger white head with heavy lacing. A bunch of particulate matter floating around makes it look a bit less desirable, but it might've just been from the bottle foaming over.

Aroma is floral hops, honey sweetness, and some spiciness. Not too much going on.

Taste is initially sweet and floral, a bit of citrusy hops, sweet orange, and finish that is both spicy, herbal, and sweet. Leaves a citrusy aftertaste on the tongue.

Mouthfeel is on the full side of medium, high carbonation makes it very smooth, almost creamy.

Overall, despite the bottle nearly exploding on me, it ended up tasting great. Very nice hybrid type beer that I would gladly purchase again.

roadhouse, Jul 25, 2008
4.2/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Opening for my first little milestone: my 50th review.

Served in a tulip glass. Pours a honey color with a huge head that is evidence of the massive amounts of protein. There is also a lot of sediment suspended in the beer that's just not going anywhere. The head fades very, very slowly and leaves ridiculous amounts of lace all over the glass, as well as big icebergs of foam on top of the beer.

The smell is earthy and sweet with a little citrus. As far as taste goes, this is one complex beer. There are dark fruit flavors, chiefly fig and raisin. There are also some earthy tones that may either be the yeast, the hops, or both. Finishes with a warm peppery bitterness. As the beer warms, just a hint of butterscotch begins to creep in, but it's very subtle and pleasant.

The mouthfeel is a little sticky, and it coats the palate quite nicely. As far as drinkability goes, I'm glad I shared the bottle with my wife and a friend. I wouldn't have wanted the whole thing. It's quite filling.

daythree16, Jul 25, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -16.2%

bought in to my store, sold half a case in one day! ... pours with an obscenely huge white rocky pederasts head and lacing ... lots of sweet honey and fresh pie with caramel (then blended on puree) .... is very smooth and delicious ... another beuty from the chouffers!! ...broccoli heads??

Onslow, Jul 21, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured into the best available wine goblet, this beauty poured a light yellow gold color, a bit clouded, with a big white frothy head and solid lacing. The aroma is wheaty citrus with a surfside freshness, salt air sweetness. The flavor brings on more of the same with some bubblegum highlights and light citrus over a mellow sweet malt. Kind of grapey, fair drinkability, nicely carbonated, a pleasant viscosity. Very nice, fairly unique stuff from my experience.

Durge, Jul 17, 2008
4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Just reading the term "Belgian IPA" provides a great feeling. A great history of brewing that has set the bar for the rest of the world is taking note of the (primarily) west coast USA brewing styles. On paper it should be a dream pairing.

I had a hard time with Belgian beers that advertise themselves as 'hoppy' and that's primarily due to what's available in the local market. We have floral, resiny, grassy, bitter, turbo, you name it as far as hops go.

Add to this mix belgian yeast and brewing techniques and that criteria is sort of thrown out the window.

My first taste of this beer was a mistake, I compared it too much to the West Coast IPA under the assumption that anything we can do they can do better. That was a big mistake.

My thinking was that too much hopping would diminish the complexities of the Belgian Yeast. This CAN be true in some beers. Not in this one. This one nails it to produce an excellent beer. It took a few years, but I'm hooked!

Benway, Jul 17, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +1.7%

I could have sworn I'd reviewed this years ago but I guess I was wrong...

75 cl bottle purchased from John's Grocery in Iowa City. As always is the case with Chouffe bombers, you get some very charming artwork and fairly detailed description of the brew on the bottle.

That's an absolutely sensational pour. It's causing a sensation. My senses is asationing. Like Duvel. Bright burst of orangegold sunshine with an absolutely perfect, tight white head that will never leave me no matter what I do because it loves me too much.

Smells a little tame but still complex and nice. Big nodes of whitepepper and loads of spicy Belgian yeast. The hops are spicy, not bitter. I'm not picking up the Amarillo but the Saaz is large and in charge.

Tastes much more complex than I had anticipated--I think I might have chilled it too much...

Upon warming a bit the smell hasn't changed that much. As I should have figured, though, this tastes much more like a Belgian pale than an American (or even British) IPA. Lots and lots of spicy yeast, very little alcohol zing or burn. Strong nodes of spicy european hops end things out. No huge complexity, no giant burn of hopiness. But it's wonderfully balanced and tastes great.

mynie, Jul 07, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -13.8%

Strong hop nose - citrusy and spicy. Sweet malt in the background also quite prominent. Milder banana and fruity ester profile. Alcohol noticed as it warms.

Pale golden, slightly hazy. Generously-sized white head, retains well. Lacing when swirled.

Curious mix of bitterness, citrus/spice hop flavor, and sweet malt character. Medium-sweet in the finish. Expecting bitterness to linger longer for an "IPA". Alcohol flavor appeared later. Would like this to finish drier and expect to have a little more hop flavor.

Light bodied, moderately carbonated. Body resembles a tripel more than an IPA.

Interesting combination of styles. Hoppiness not quite what I'd expect for an IPA. Finish out a little drier to improve drinkability.

BrewerB, Jul 06, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +4%

This beer was tasted in a wine glass. The beer pours a cloudy yellow with a rocky off white head that holds wonderfully and laces incredibly. Obviously the Belgian Yeast and massive hops combine for this wonderful head. The smell is full of Belgian yeasty spiciness and citrusy/spicy hops. Very nice aroma here. The taste is up front with hop bitterness. Again citrusy and spicy hops. A nice fruity and spicy hop character, with a toasty malt character. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lively carbonation. Overall a nice way to combine a tripel with an IPA.

MSchae1017, Jul 04, 2008
4.25/5  rDev +1%

Pours an effervescent golden hue with a pillowy white head that mountains up to the top of the snifter. As the head recedes it leaves thin tiny bubbles, thickly laced in spotty patterns across the walls of the glass. Smell is intense! Ripe pear, green apple, orange juice, banana, white pepper, and clove. Taste isn't quite as intense as the nose, however it is very balanced and very unique in a good way! Begins with sweet banana bread and transitions into a citrus orange zest with a tongue tingling peppery finish. The alcohol slowly warms the back of the throat but is never overbearing. Everything balances everything out. No doubt there is a lot going on in this glass, the champagne like mouthfeel certainly helps melt it all together and dance it across the taste buds.

RickSawyer, Jul 04, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance- This brew pours a lovely gold. The head is thick and pillowy. Extreme lacing- Super thick head- I am sitting here looking at the brew and the head has now slowly dissipated in some areas and is now resembling a columbus clouds. The beer is fairly opaque, only allowing a bit of light to travel through it.

Smell- This beer smells like a tripel with a bit more hops. Very floraly, Belgian yeast and certainly a bit of hops- but not the American aggressive hops that we have all become accustomed to.

Taste- When the brew first hits my tongue, I get a tart feeling across my mouth. As I continue to drink, I get floral hints with slightly bitter hops. As the beer finishes I get a bit of Belgian yeast / funk combined with the floraly hops, tasting reminiscent to a tripel. Very nice taste.

Drinkability- This is a smooth beer that goes down EASY! I must say that it would be very easy for me to stock and drink this beer throughout a summer.

Thanks to BA member OnSlow (our local brew stocker) for ordering and letting us know that he had it!

rsawyer, Jul 04, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +4%

Pours a huge head with crazy retention that won't leave the glass. With a cloudy orange color.

Smell is very citrusy with a little banana and a god dose of hops. Smells like an ipa tripel hybrid that leans a little bit more towards the ipa side. I haven't experienced that yet in this style.

WOW. Very sweet and citrusy with some lime and a little bit of lemon. A tiny bit of banana comes through as well. This is balanced with a healthy dose of citrusy hops that makes this beer a little bit more ipaish than belgianish. It's a nice balance and something I've not experienced before.

This beer clings well but is slightly astringent and Not overly bad though, those are minor criticisms.

This beer is superb. I like the hoppiness and how the belgian influence takes a backseat. Give this a try definetly.

jasonjlewis, Jul 02, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -8.6%

A=Large green tint bottle. I am also a fan of the trademark gnome of this brewery.
pours into a 18 oz pilsner glass with a rush of carbonation
mountain of pillowy head sits atop the glass and so far has remained half way down the beer.

S= As soon as I started to pour this I could tell I liked the aroma. gushes out citrus and a slight funk at first and is followed by slight bananna and spicy herbal notes.
Very very pleseant

T= Not near as much going on in the taste imho. A light bready maltyness. I get a slight medicinal taste somewhere in the middle of the tongue. Not any bad or off flavors just expected alot more from the aroma.

M/D= Mouth feel is really light and dry from the high carbonation. But if anything this makes the drinkability really easy and smooth.

mcfisty, Jul 01, 2008
3.65/5  rDev -13.3%

I love the little Chouffe.

A - Into a La Chouffe tulip, an aggressive pour yielded about 25cl of liquid and the rest of the glass head... apparently a perfect pour. It pours a clear golden/straw color with a huge, foamy head. Carbonation is plentiful and beautiful. Chunks of head all over the sides of the glass, and the lacing pattern is ridiculously cool.

S - Reminds me of a tripel, at least on the nose. Fruity, yeast esters, spicy hops on the nose. Definitely a good smelling brew. The more you drink, the more it smells of hops.

T - I went into this expecting tripel and was thrown for a loop. Definite hop profile proves interesting, as well as a major malt backbone not normally noted in most Belgian pales. Alcohol warms the tummy and is noted at times throughout the drink. It plays like... sweet, into fusel, into dry. This would be best on tap, I imagine. Almost soapy.

M - Good, well carbonated, perfect thickness.

D - Obvious fusel alcohol and soapy characteristics sorta blow it for me, yet I still enjoy it well enough to finish the 750ml.

Notes: I had high hopes for this and was slightly let down. I guess I was hoping for an Aldebaran, but got an overly sweet, as opposed to overly hoppy brew. I would love to try this fresh, on tap.

SaucyA, Jun 30, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

Hazy straw yellow colored with a bright white head of meringue that rises up three whole inches and recedes so slowly that I have to wait before sipping. Particulate matter rises and falls in suspension.

Aroma of clove and yeast, some phenols and a hint of lemon.

Flavor of lemon and pepper, fruitiness, some grapefruit rind and yeast. Hoppy bitters linger with a piney tingle.

Mouthfeel is initially slick, moderately carbonated, but finishes dry and crisp and tingly. Pretty drinkable, but I expected some juicier hops.

far333, Jun 29, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance - pours a fairly basic grainy straw color. A pile of foam builds up pretty fast and I can only fill the glass about two-thirds full. White snowy foam atop, leaving a thin, complete but see-through film of lace, quite interesting. Light volume of stuff floating in the brew. The more I pour in the cloudier and 'flakier' it gets regarding stuff in suspension. I have a nice plateau of foam well above the glass top now, a stately looking head. The last pour of the 750 creates this wild, cloudy, dirty thing like a building collapsing on itself with debris flying around, etc. The final look is a clouded obscure haz-mat yellow with a layer of stuff at the bottom and a puffy caulk-like array of foam at top, some of it from the original pour.

Aroma - flowery and mildly yeasty from a distance. When I get my nose right up on the foam, more of the citrusy and sharper hop aromas are there. Not in great volume, ever, but enough to tell they are there.

Taste - hey, that's different. Belgian malts with the initial sweetness, and yeast, then the obvious hop presence. Nothing like a US DIPA or larger, but way more than I've had in a Belgian. A little soapiness on the swallow, some fitting abv warmth, and the drying bitterness of the hops. They gain ground with warming and provide a better balance with the tripel bigness. Bitterness on the level of a solid American IPA, with the abv of a good Belgian Tripel. As I get through to the second half of the bottle, I could swear the flavors are combining to put out a late chocolate flavor I wasn't counting on. I'll bet this was fun to invent and test.

Mouthfeel - full and fluffy in the mouth, active carbonation lets them get away with a higher abv without it making such a large footprint on the profile.

Drinkability - an unseasoned palate of mine might not have appreciated this as much. A merry-feeling combo of two good styles. Thumbs up for the guys in the Ardennes. A good beer tasting pick for palates in the know.

brewdlyhooked13, Jun 26, 2008

On tap at Tyler's in Durham;

Flute glass arrives with a finger of white foam atop a hazy orangeade body. The head retains at a fluffy sheet and leaves thin rings of lacing.

Smells of crisp, tart apples and fresh bread dough.

Taste is crisp and citrusy, almost soda pop-like, and really refreshing. Medium-bodied with perfect carbonation and a solid herbal bitter hoppiness that balances the sweet, fruity brew, contributing mightily to top-notch drinkability.

cvstrickland, Jun 26, 2008
3.8/5  rDev -9.7%

Found this several weeks ago at Whole Foods, nice surprise!

Popped open with a little spurt, but a little skunky smell at first, dang green bottles! [or at least I'm guessing that's it]

Even in a pre-rinsed glass, it was fizz city all over, and even as it settled down, it was quite a rocky head, with a sticky lace down the glass.

Very interesting spicy bitterness right off the bat! Not my usual IPA!

What an interesting aftertaste, I need to get some from the tap or a bottle that was never taken from the box.

This beer actually has some heat, as I'm finishing this fine unique Belgian ale, I'm feeling some heat, this is some spicy beer!

ReDave, Jun 19, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

Served in a tulip glass. Pours a nice big white head with a great lacing. Color is cloudy tan/gold. Smells like a Belgian floral beer, very interesting. A definite bitter floral smell of hops is present. Taste is a slightly bitter hop flavor. Hops are slightly citrus. Tastes very good, fairly balanced even with an emphasis on the hoppy profile. Mouthfeel is highly carbonated, but I just let it sit and sip on it while swirling it. Overall this is very nice, good drinkability.

Erdinger2003, Jun 15, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -6.7%

Appearance: Pours a hazy, pale yellow body with a full, foamy, white head that's rather meringue-like.

Smell: Pale malts, some doughy qualities, freshly-squeezed lemons, and spice with a perfumy waft of alcohol and a distant note of apple.

Taste: Pale malts, a tad biscuity, followed by a blast of sweetened lemon juice. Very mild banana, light spicing. Piney, citrusy hops with a medium-high bitterness balances the sugary qualities. Crisp, hoppy finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: Way to really jazz up the tired, old tripel style, guys!

ChainGangGuy, Jun 15, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

The beer poured a hazy, straw-yellow with an enormous white, fluffy head into a pint glass. The aroma was the distinct bubble-gum sweetness of Belgian yeast. The taste was more of that distinct Belgian yeast, sweet and fruity, but also with a hefty hop flavor and bitterness blended in as well - a nice complement to the candy sugar sweetness. A bit fizzy mouthfeel, but still a very drinkable brew.

pershan, Jun 12, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

pours a clear pale yellow into a snifter. Huge fluffy three finger head lasts for days, leaving a thick sheet of lacing on the sides of the glass. The sediment comes in the last third of the bottle, clouding the brew like crazy. Nose is sweet fruits, spice, and citrus. The taste starts off sweet & tripel-like, with sweet fruits & sugar. The hops & bitterness hit towards the end, creating an interesting balance. Hoppy, but not overly so. Insanely drinkable, the 9% doesn't show at all. A very unique & very tasty brew; one to ne sought out for sure. Big thanks to goodbyeohio for hooking me up!

0110x011, Jun 11, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Initial Notes:
Neat green silk-screened bottle with a cap. I note some floating particulate matter, perhaps disturbed from its week-long refrigerator rest by my jovial jog up the stairs.

It's a gusher... perhaps I should have eased it up those stairs... Glad I had a dirty towel handily on the floor... Smells good.

Nose:
Rich and creamy malt with fruity tripel-like qualities. Zest, clove, banana, powder, ripe plum-like fruit, and some deeper, subtler hard-to-describe phenols.

Look:
Pours with a fluffy lightweight meringue-like head that is like divinity to eat. This doesn't last forever and I end up with a really creamy head sitting shortly upon a buttery apricot color liquid with lots of particulate. From there it maintains a little head that refuses to die. Such an incredible retention is most noteworthy.

Flavor:
First sip unveils a flashy alcoholic persuasion and a long, dull bitterness. That didn't give me any reason to come back for another. However, in each additional sip I get more fruit, soft malt, and, to a lesser degree, hop flavor. Once accustomed to the attack and midpalate bitterness, some of the zesty phenols shine through and bring clove and exotic fruit. Bitterness is still the commanding ruler of the finish, but it slowly becomes less dull and more hop-originated in flavor.

A bit deeper into the brew and I get a savory beef-like sensation. This is peculiar, to say the least. Deeper interactions between raw ingredients and alcohol present themselves as various stages of funky and tight little balances along with way. Spice develops further with ginger-like qualities, especially near the finish.

By now I've grown accustomed to the hop brutality of bitterness. It's not every day that your mouth gets abused in a way that you can come to love. I guess I'm a hop masochist. Apart from that, the flavor has bloomed and settled down to a pleasantly sweet, fruity, malty, hoppy, and zesty balance that sits somewhere between guilty pleasure and heaven.

By this point, I've had well over half the bottle and the alcohol is working its way into my judgment. I've planed ahead and written down my final score; good thing, because I'm loving this beer more and more...

I've paired the second half with Russian Rye and some Seaside Cheddar (whatever that means, but it's been aged 14 months and it contains no annatto, nice). Belgian beers go particularly well with Russian Rye because of the sheer magnitude of flavor the Rye can stand up to. This pairing is exquisite. This Cheddar has a wild, tangy blue cheese side that works so well with the bitterness, alcohol, and phenols. I'm stoked.

Final Thoughts:
What a crazy experience. At first sip I thought I was in for one of those expensive-yet-disappointing beers... but all changed when I gave it time. The most notable characteristic of this beer is the crazy-strong bitterness. It really beats you down, but if you learn to live with it, it will be your best friend and you won't know what to do when it's gone.

The Verdict:
A truly spiritual experience, Chouffe is a Godsend; I couldn't imagine enjoying drinking a beer any more than this. If I were to ever meet the brewer, I would most certainly need to give him/her a thanks, a handshake, and a hug. Thank you.

MrHungryMonkey, Jun 11, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

On tap at Victoria Gastro Pub (Columbia, MD).

Fantastic beer. Bright yellow pour, bright white head, spicy and hoppy aroma with some sweetness.

Goes down like water is the major complaint, real smooth where I'd like a beer this good to make some resistance on the way down. The hop character here is downplayed, sort of has this nice mix of spice and light hops and belgian sugar sweetness. Incredibly fresh tasting beer, refreshing.

USCTrojanBrian, Jun 09, 2008
4.63/5  rDev +10%

Picked up a bottle of batch #4. Poured this golden treat into a couple small Houblon glasses (gotta have the right glassware!). Amazing appearance, a hazy golden beer with a creamy white head about two fingers thick! Lingers for ever on the glass and almost over flows each glass.

An amazing aroma of wonderfully strong spicy hop. Hops! Oh my gosh the hops, so hoppy an amazing Double IPA.

The taste is an amazing balance of IPA strength hops with the creamy medium body tripple! Lingering bitterness chased by a smooth sweetness that covers the strength of ABV. Couple glasses I'm looking for more in a daze, this one blind sided me.

Amazing...

SolsticeDreamer, Jun 07, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +11.2%

Nicely designed 750ml bottle served in a Chimay goblet.

A beautifull looking beer. Rich golden with a creamy white head. Very nice lacing and retention.

A complex nose has a bouquet of floral hops up front. Under this subtle yet aromatic hop presence is a well balanced tripel. Citrus, candy malts and Belgian yeasts are dominant.

The taste is similar except the hop characters are present from start to finish. It took me a while to warm up to this beer, but it is quite tasty. The best way to describe it is a rich tripel with fresh hoppy presence.

The body is silky smooth with perfect carbonation. This was my first experience with this style, but this was fantastic. A fantastic hybrid between Belgian and American brews.

rye726, Jun 05, 2008