Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel - Brasserie d'Achouffe

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA TripelHoublon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-13-2006

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

This beer pours a nice yellow with much sediment with a large head that takes a while to go down. It smell very refreshing and spicy. It tastes very hoppy and has a bite to it. This is a very distinct taste, not your usual IPA, but very enjoyable. I would definitely buy this again

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

A- Foam gushes from the bottle. Take Caution. Tight head settles to what looks like the rocky foam on a root beer float only more sticky and large. Pillowy and tinted yellow. Body is dark golden in color and very hazy with chunks of yeast floating around

S- Smells like a bouquet of hops and dank flowers. Very herbal and citric sort of like a tea. Some light peppery tones, like white pepper

T- The hops are the most noticeable aspect of this beer on the tongue. Tingly bitter taste along with sweet light malts and some spices in the background. Becomes more sweet and alcoholic as it warms. Doesn't blow me away like the rest of this beer

M- The carbonation is wild in this beer. Good if you like that sort of thing. Body is crisp for a tripel but just right for an IPA.

D- The carbonation slows you down a bit with this beer and that's just what you need with a surprisingly quaff-able 9%ABV Belgian IPA Tripel.

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

Can I please shout to the world that I love this beer? I love this beer! A friend of mine got this one night and let me try it. I had already had *cough* a few, and was like: "Hey, that's not bad!" However, it wouldn't leave my mind. Its like after you've talked to a beautiful woman, or man if that's your thing, and you dwell on them. So I got my own bottle of this as soon as I could find it.

She pours a faint orange, and always has a nice, frothy white head. She smells like a wonderful bouquet of citrus with a number of spices underneath. Her taste is utterly unique with a variety of spice and hops. There is an initial sweetness followed by a bite. If there is one criticism, and I promise I still love you baby!, it is that, for my tastes, she is slightly too bubbly. Plus, she is a beer that you won't drink a ton of because of her amazing powers and taste.

Bottom Line: Try this beer if you have not! I don't care how much it costs you, try it.

4.17/5  rDev -1%

I've had this on tap a couple times and loved it. My first attempt at getting a green bottle was bad, as the beer had been profoundly light struck and terribly skunky. Finally, I found this little brown bottle.

A: Bright yellow-orange. It is almost glowing. Lots of yeast floating about. I even tried to keep them out. Carbonation is strong. In fact, when I tried to open the bottle it overflowed on my counter. THe head is rocky, soft and white. It seems to last forever in my Duvel tulip.

S: Pretty damn aromatic. Lots of citrus, fruitiness and a slight spiciness. A definite floral component as well. Light sweetness in the end. I do get a very faint skunky aroma, which takes away from a perfect score.

T: Pleasant, fruity sweetness as I hold the brew in my mouth. The citrusy hops definitely come out too. The fruity esters seem to meld with the citrusy hops to bring in orange and tangerine flavors. A beautiful malty sweetness comes out in the end. As the beer washes off the palate, I get a pleasant lemon rind bitterness.

M: Light bodied and dry. Very Belgian in nature. The beer seems to have just enough body to balance the hops though. Really quite nice.

D: A very unique and drinkable version of an IPA. Quite inspiring actually. I really liked this beer in the bottle. I do think it is nearly perfect on tap however. I'll have to seek it out again on tap and update my review. Until then, I'll pick up a few more bottles.

4.19/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into tulip at cellar temp, launching the most amazing head - 2/3 of the glass filled with white, sea-foam thick, billowing head - my 3 yr old daughter likened it to a big bubble bath. Slightly cloudy, golden color, with a few floaters. Lacing like I've never seen - 1cm thick in some spots.

Smell was a little tame - some pear, spice, and belgian yeast.

Flavor makes up for the smell with banana peel, white pepper, rye bread, a heapin' helpin' o' hops, and some sour/ grassy/ barnyard quality to finish things off.

Good crisp, dry mouthfeel which is straight refreshing and leaves you wanting more.

I found it very drinkable - slightly filling and high ABV will keep you from plowing thru it.

3.7/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: Poured from a draft tap at the Libertine Bar into a snifter-style glass.

A: This beer pours no head (likely because it is on tap and into a small glass) but has a nice ring of carbonation near the top and laces the glass well. An opaque beer that you can't see through it is also a nice very dark yellow almost orange color. Reminds me of orange juice but a little darker and carbonated.

S: Smelling the hops, some caramel sweetness and maybe some type of fruit in the nose of this one. Can't pin down the fruit.

T: As I taste this one there is definite banana balanced nicely with the hops here. The sweetness and bitterness is really well interplayed here and I love it. Not any bitterness that stays with my palette so I consider this to be awesome.

M: Undercarbonated I wish this one had more. The beer is light in the mouth though which for me is a good thing with a hoppy beer.

D: I had 2 of them last night, but I couldn't have a 3rd. Drinkability suffers some from the hoppiness (for me) and the sweetness. It's just a big beer and I can only have a couple of these max.

4.16/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

this one really caught my eye the other day at the beer store. huge fan of belgians, and ive never heard of this brewery. and seeing as how i love ipa's just as much as i love tripel's, i had to try it.

poured out of a big green bottle that looked much like a wine bottle into an oversized wine glass. beer at cellar temp. pours a slightly hazy straw watery yellow color with tons of lucious soapy white head. absolutely great head retention and lots of lace.

the smell is that of solvent alcohol(when the beer really warms up, this is all you smell) and nice yeasty phenolics with some citrus hops in the background.

great taste goin on here, exactly what the label said it would be, tastes just like a really hoppy tripel. first you get all the goodness from the tripel, all the phenolics from the yeast and a rich maltiness, finishs with alcohol and citrus hops. the aftertaste really allows you to taste the hops as they linger on and on, just like an IPA. slightly different hop taste than any american beer as mostly european hops were used in this one.

typical heavy body for the belgian ale. hoppiness really adds a little to the mouthfeel. off the pour has strong carbonation that settles to minimal at the end of the glass, typical for belgians. pretty good drinkability just gotta watch yourself with the alcohol. go out and get this one now!

3.61/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Walked into my old fraternity house the other day. Turns out the pledges bought me a bottle of this. That's love for ya.

I'm always a bit hesitant to review Belgians. There's always something unexpected that I won't know if it's good or bad so I just have to be purely subjective about it.

Pours very pale, slightly hazy yellow with the most unholy head I've ever seen in my life. Huge, foamy, billowy, ridiculous. Consistency of egg whites that have been whipped like Jesus Christ before he went up on that cross (too soon?). I poured it slowly, which turned out to be too fast and had to quickly suck alcoholic hop foam into my mouth. Sounds like heaven to me.

Not a lot going on in the aroma. Very clean pilsner aroma effect.. some slight white sugar, along with a whispy acidic hop aroma with just a hint of belgian yeast aromas.

I still feel like this head is going to blow up and attack me at any minute.

Taste is noticeably alcoholic. In fact, the alcohol sort of dominates a lot of the flavor. This could almost be construed as some weird imperial German pilsner creation with some Belgian yeast sprinkled on top. Pilsner malt dominates the malt side of the taste, but it's very well done. Compared to American IPAs, the hop character in this is nothing. It's less bitter than Prima Pils (yes, not an IPA) or SNPA (well.. also not an IPA). But to call this an IPA is sort of a long stretch for anyone who's had Hop Devil or Racer X. The hops are also mostly lost inside the flavor of alcohol, which I'm not a fan of.

Mouthfeel is just dextrinous enough to get around all that pilsner malt. I'm drinking a 750 of this and am already sort of tired of it but the room will probably be spinning in a bit.. I guess that's a plus.

In short, Belgium is weird. There's a gnome on this bottle and I'm not sure I understand what they're going for with the beer. Also, I hate gnomes.

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

750ml bottle into 25oz snifter.

Deep golden hue, cloudy because of little bits of sediment floating in the beer. A two dense two finger white head slowly settles to a thick island of foam in the middle of the glass, and leaves behind webby lacing.

The sharp citrus hops are met by the familiar spicy phenolic characteristic of the Belgian yeast. A touch of orange peel is in the foreground as well.

Lightly toasted biscuity malts set up the base for some very spicy hops. A bit of orange and lemon citrus complements the spiciness. Full bodied, high carbonation.

A crisp and refreshing, but also spicy, Tripel. A good amount of hops add a citrus characteristic to the Belgian Style. Recommended.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottle in chalice.

Pours hazy gold with a magnificent creamy, pillowy, rocky white head. Looks more like the head on a cappuccino than that of a beer; beautiful, and lasts forever, with epic lacing.

Aroma is citrus, yeasty, spice.

Taste is complex; begins with candy-like sweetness, before moving to spicy yeast and citrus, and finishing with a dry, pronounced hop bitterness that lingers on the palate.

Mouthfeel is crisp, well carbonated and with a dry finish. Intriguing and very complex beer, absolute masterpiece.

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Serving date: 2009-03-24. Served in tasting glass.

A: Pale yellow color, somewhat straw colored. Slightly hazy. Big white and thick head. Good head retention. Some lacings.

S: Plenty of floral hop aromas. Decent amount of sweet fruity aromas as well (banana, lemon peel, grapefruit). Yeast. A slightly sharp smell, but very pleasant.

T: White bread, biscuity malts. Yeast. Some spices and herbs. Plenty of grass and earthy notes. Very big and quite bold hop flavors that blend beautifully with the malts and "Belgian" yeast character. Pleasant bitterness in the finish and faint spicy alcohol. Some flavors are a bit sharp, but all in all a very nice taste.

M: Medium body, plenty of carbonation. Slides very easily over the tongue.

D: I really liked this one. It manages to blend a rather aggressive and bold hop character with the sweet, fruity and yeasty character of the Belgian pale ale style in a great way. Highly recommended.

3.91/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured from a 33cl bottle into an oversized wine glass.

A - This beer pours beautifully in the glass. A massive head of creamy, pillowy foam to start, then it dissipates to a thin head with one fluffy cloudlike pile in the middle of the glass. Significant amounts of lace on the glass. This is a cloudy, straw colored beer.

S - I get a funky, bready yeast hit on the nose. There's some zesty hop notes but I don't catch them as much as some other reviewers. The bready scent does mix with a candy-like sweetness and a bit of clove and banana. I was expecting a bit more of the citrusy hoppy smell.

T - Mainly a dull, malty sweetness at first with some subtle fruit (banana again) and yeast on the backend. Given the the high ABV, I was expecting a bigger punch on the tastebuds. However, this is definitely a nice change from the more in-your-face American IPAs.

M - ISweet and dull on the tongue but overly sweet. Very little carbonation. No noticeable alcohol bite or warmness.

D - I tend to lean more towards the hoppier American IPA styles but I thought I'd give this Belgian style a try. I am a big fan of other Belgian styles, particularly golden ales. This IPA isn't one that I'd drink on a regular basis but it isn't bad. I'm glad I tried it. The high ABV would probably limit most beer fans to one or two of these but it seems like a fairly well-rounded beer and representative of the style.

3.02/5  rDev -28.3%

Reviewed 8/8/2008 (bottle):

Foam & head everywhere! Extremely foamy, even opening after warming for a bit. Very cloudy, golden body. Big foamy white head, somewhat lasting. Belgian flowery aroma. Some graininess, slight amount of alcohol, some spices. Watery taste, light flowery taste, some spice. Weakish for 9%. Very light flavor, watery.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

I've had my eye on this sucker for a while. I'm glad I finally pulled the trigger.

Pours a hazy golden straw with a big, fluffy white head. Ridiculous amounts of lacing.

Smells ungodly. Just amazing. Hoppy, yet yeasty. Sweet, but sour.

It tastes like a Belgian strong pale and an American IPA started churning out ugly, bearded babies. The alcohol is well hidden by the copious amount of hop presence.

Mouthfeel is crisp, with lively carbonation. Dry as hell.

Drinkability is dangerously high as far as the ease with which this stuff goes down. What keeps it from being too drinkable -- however -- is the fact that it's 9% and that a 11.2 oz. bottle clocks in at about four and a half bones. Otherwise, this shit is straight out of sight.

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from tap into a tulip glass at TJs in Paoli.

A: A cloudy medium gold color with a nice fluffy white two finger head on the pour. Full ring glass lacing lasts.

S: Hops with citrus smells and a candy sweetness.

T: I get hops first, a very hoppy first taste with flavors of citrus orange, lemon and a bit of straw grassy flavors. The sweetness sneaks in with a sugary candy flavor and a hint of belgian yeasty flavors. I expected more yeast flavors but this belgian IPA may have the least amount of spice I have tasted in the style. Still, a great beer.

M: Medium mouthfeel that ends very dry and bitter. Nice. No hint of alcohol.

D: High, nuff said. Drink a bunch of these beauts.

Overall this may be my favorite belgian style IPA I have had to date. Very crisp, clean, hoppy and refreshing..not to mention super drinkable. Great beer.

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%

On draft tap, from Monks Cafe in Philadelphia, served in a large tulip glass.
Slightly hazy, shimmery golden yellow, white head. Thin white lace all the way down the glass. Lots of citrusy hops in the nose, with some belgian yeast. Crisp citrus, with herbal hop flavor. Balancing malt keep the bitterness from overwelming your taste buds. Slightly sweet fruit finish. Clean and dry finish.
A perfect mixture of IPA hoppiness, and belgian yeast complexity. Glad I found this one fresh on tap. This is my first example of the style, and obviously this the benchmark.

Note to Self: Ranked #18 Top Beers of Belgium, #1 Belgian IPA, when I tasted it.

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Bottle from total wine

A - Pours straw golden, with a 4 finger foam-white head. Dissipates slow and leaves nice lacing.

S - Wow, very perfumy. Hit with nectar, citrus, and grapefruit. Maybe some Belgian Candi sugar too.

T - It's like I am drinking straight perfume. Same as above, but with moderate alcohol.

M - Very smooth, complete mouthfeel, and hop dominated in the end. You can really taste the Saaz in the mouthfeel. Slightly dry too.

D - Very interesting how this beer masks the saaz. Very drinkable, each taste gives you a little something else.

4.26/5  rDev +1.2%

Grabbed a 33cl bottle of this, as I wanted to try it but didn't need 75cl. No visible freshness date. Served in my brand-new Bell's tulip.

A - Huge four fingers of creamy white foam that takes forever to dissipate and leaves ton of sticky lacing. The beer is a semi-transparent golden straw color, with lots of little bubbles rising lazily to the top of the glass. Not sure what else I could want visually (other than the fact that I had to wait 15 minutes to drink anything).

S - A mix of citrus hops and Belgian yeasts - not a huge surprise I suppose! Lemon zest, that spicy Saaz hop smell, a little bit of funk, a hint of caramel malt, and some fresh bread. It's like half Tripel, half IPA.

T - Sweeter than it smells - lots of floral notes, mixed with caramel malt, and a touch of Belgian yeast. Very fruity - with a strong banana overtone and a bitter mango aftertaste. This is not at all what I was expecting from the smell, but it's surprisingly delicious.

M - I guess all the carbonation goes into the foam, as the beer itself is very smooth and velvety. It's quiet refreshing and the alcohol isn't apparent until the warming sensation occurs after swallowing. I wish there had been a little more tingle on the palate.

D - Well, the ridiculous foam would guarantee I couldn't drink too many of these, and the high ABV would seal the deal. But seriously, once the foam dissipates it's an easy drinker with well hidden alcohol and a pretty delicious taste to it.

Well - I liked this, even though I'm lukewarm to Tripels. The hoppiness is more evocative of a pilsener like Bohemian Lager than it is of an American IPA. I suppose that's because it uses Saaz hops. Worth trying at least once.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

750ml bottle served in a chalice.

L - slightly clouded golden yellow color with a fluffy white head that was constantly fueled by endless carbonation bubbles, lacing was heavy and plentiful.

S - almost pilsner like aroma, it must be from those European hops.

T - champagne-like taste upfront and then those European hops steal the show, finishing very dry with light bittering.

F - light/medium bodied with a champage-like carbonation feel.

D - excellent example of the style, a true Belgian IPA.

4.8/5  rDev +14%

I had this once quite awhile ago and just revisited it now! The nose is bursting with floral & citrus hops. It's a gorgeous pour; straw gold in color, cloudy and with a great, pudding-like head that lasts. The mouth feel is nice; juicy and very easy-drinking. The flavor! I don't want to gush so I won't but if I did I'd say WOWWW!!!! It's loaded with citrus, honey, pine, white pepper, and nicely malted. Great balance. I didn't detect the alcohol so much, so this went down way too easily.

4.38/5  rDev +4%

Pours very light, almost like a sparkling wine, but look more golden n the glass, but still looks like apple juice. Huge white almost pillowy head.
Light sugar aroma with candy like qualities. No hops to speak of, at least with the initial pour (no yeast unrest or upset. A yeast quality comes which adds a spicy tone too. Phenols present too, bringing about a rather complex start, prior to even drinking.
Boy the hops sure are present in the flavor. In fact the bitterness is the first thing and at the end the final flavor. Fairly dry, but more in the moderate range for tripels. Interesting sweet flavor, is that root beer, hmmm, never had that one before. Also a slightly sour fruit taste. I'm sure I'm just starting the flavor journey on this one. It seems to be able to be both sweet (sugar candy at times) and bitter, and this seems true even during the long finish.
Fully, fully, fully carbonated. Ends up filling me up rather quickly, which I'm not too fond of at this point. As the carbonation settles it becomes more drinkable, and enjoyable.
This drinks really quite nicely (but dare I repeat, expcept for the carbonation). Flavors are good. Fun, interesting, different and flavorful.
Received as a gift for Christmas '08. Thanks Linda.

4.61/5  rDev +9.5%

Houblon Chouffe Dobblelen IPA Tripel, 9.0% ABV, reviewed as a Belgian IPA
Label notes as Amarillo, Tomohack, and Saaz hops
This pour was from shared bottle at European Street (Jax Beach) - courtesy of Mike Kaiser from www.havebeerwilltravel.com - thanks Mike! 11/24/09
A 5.0 - Cloudy Pale Straw in color, excellent head and lacing.
S 4.0 - Subtle pale malts and spicy notes
T 5.0 - Very complex on palate, diverse hop notes on a semi sweet Belgian malt base
MF 4.5 - Medium + on carbonation, nice light to medium body
D 4.5 - I really enjoyed this one, it was a nice complex fun ale to experience in good company, I really liked the diverse hop notes and complexity.

3.68/5  rDev -12.6%

Had this on tap at the Lucky Baldwins 10th Annual Belgian fest on 2/15/09.

Pours a hazy yellow with very good lacing and retention.

Aroma is of citrusy american hops, pale malt, and some a bit of funk(?).

Flavor is malty and bitter but the hop flavor has mellowed a lot. I don't get it, I've had this from the bottle a number of times and its good every time. What happened here? Theres also a touch of what seems to be funk., odd

Body is medium/light, plenty of CO2 in solution, and drinkable.

Pours a golden yellow color with a bit of unfiltered chill haze. Huge head from the IPA and Tripel qualities.

Aroma is complex with pale malts, hops, spices and earthy yeast.

Refreshing and light which is misleading given the ABV. Not too bitter or sweet.

4.63/5  rDev +10%

Lemon meringue pie in a glass! Rich pale golden color beneath a rocky meringue-like pillowy head that retreats to sexy Belgian lace within a few minutes. Faint yeast wispies dance in the beer as well.

Nose is lemony, clean, and somewhat metallic. The clean character is more like clean n' fresh.

Palate offers an interesting balance of background malt with citrusy sweet hops, and the light fruitiness of the yeast is at play also. Nice balance and complexity, without being hit over the head with any particular component of the experience. Long, juicy-fruit finish and again very "fresh clean".

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel from Brasserie d'Achouffe