Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel - Brasserie d'Achouffe

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA TripelHoublon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-13-2006

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel Alström Bros
3.79/5  rDev -10%

Cloudy (and lumpy) pale orange with a huge white head that lasts and lasts. Smells tripely - it's all about candy and light caramel. It smells.. Astringent. Which isn't a big surprise in a Belgian and darn it, it has an astringent flavor to it as well. It tastes like... A cross between a Hop^3 and a really astringent Belgian. Sweet, floral hops. A little bitter in the end. I'd think that without the astringency it would be awesome.

4.31/5  rDev +2.4%

Appearance - What elese could you ask for? This is the model of a Belgian IPA. Beautiful golden straw color that has a somewhat hazy look to it. Incredible immense creaminess to the head. A puffy whipped topping looking cloud seems to float on top. Huge amount of layered lacing left caked to the glass. Thin coating of white puff rests on top the whole way through.

Smell - Nose is not to shabby either. Very creamy and malty with a crisp citrus to it. A spicy hop gets its foot in the door as well.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Very crisp carbonation with a creamy smoothness coating the palate. Citrus and bitter hops show up right in the beginning, but the familiar malt creaminess really wins out. Spicy and somewhat bready with a flashing spice in the end.

Drinkability - As a phenomenal tripel this one more than holds it's own against the best of it's style. So well rounded and easily sipable. Belgian brewing at it's best.

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

A - Cloudy and gold with frothy white head. Foam sticks to the glass but a thin layer of white foam remains at the top.

S - Some hops, a little citrus and a bit of maltiness.

T - Mellow hops and some fruits. I'm thinking banana and some type of light citrus fruit taste. Bitter hop taste and a bit of yeastiness.

M - Light carbonation and medium body. Bitter and tingly on the back of the throat.

D - One of the easiest drinking beers I have had in a while. Extremely enjoyable beer. One of the better belgian IPA's I have had. This would be even better on tap.

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

This beer has lived in my fridge for the better part of a year now, and God help me if I could remember where I got it. I think that I picked this one up in Denver, but I am not 100% sure of that. Anyway, I just had a Breckenridge ESB that hit my palate pretty hard and I thought that a Douple Triple IPA...or whatever would be just the ticket now. Here we go:

Appearance: Pours into my tulip glass a mostly clear golden yellow color with a few small floaters about the entire beer...pretty uniformly. There was a dense, fluffy head of white bubbles that was really creamy looking after a very careful pour, and the head actually rose after the initial pour. There are tons of bubbles rising to maintain the head at at least 1/2" for minutes. After what seems like the better part of an hour, the head finally falls a bit and there is some thick lacing left in its wake.

Aroma: Through the foam, I get only a mild hop presence and a lot of sweet malty aromatics along with the typical Tripel lemon and other fruity aromas. Tons of breadiness to go with the rest of the medley. If I really get deep into the aroma of the beer there is a slight chalkiness.

Taste: The flavor is really complex, but is mostly dominated by malty/sugary sweetness. There are tons of fruit and citrus flavors in here to go with a plentiful supply of hops. The beer is really creamy and almost goes down like a milkshake. The finish is pretty balanced for such a big beer, but the sweetness and alcohol edge out any bitterness that is left on the palate. As the beer warms up, the hop presentation is coming out a lot more, and it actually reminding me of a West coast brew. That is pretty neat!

Opinion: This is a really nice Tripel! I am not sure exactly where the "IPA" reference comes in except that there are some American citrusy hops used in the beer rather than European hops. Other than the fact that I don't get the dry bitterness that you expect from an IPA (and I am glad that isn't the case BTW), this is a really nice brew.

4.8/5  rDev +14%

On tap at Delerium Cafe in Brussels July 2008

Appearance
Lasting white head sitting atop a hazy, butter yellow body

Smell
Very hoppy nose (by far the hoppiest of any Belgian beers I've tried), much like an American IPA, though not as aggressive

Taste & Mouthfeel
Delicious! Highly hopped, yet not overdone at all; masks the high ABV incredibly well; malts on the lighter side surprisingly for such a big beer; body is light-to-medium

Overall
Extremely drinkable--dangerously drinkable! It's such a refreshing and seemingly sessionable ale. All around very tasty.

4.66/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours a murky bright yellow with a hugh beautiful persistent head that just doesn't go away. Aroma is mostly herbal hops. Saaz is the dominant varietal in nose (The bottle says Saaz is one of the hops used.) There are also some citrusy notes in the aroma. As I begin to drink this the citrus aroma is definitely coming out more. Oranges. Taste is fairly sweet. It definitely has that tripel malt character. Must be the yeast. There is that distinct Belgian phenolic and spicy flavor. But it's the hops that are the real story here. Mostly citrusy american hop character. Oranges again. Definitely a more herbal noble hop note is present as well. Pretty full bodied and well carbonated. Finishes somewhat dry. A bit of alcohol is barely noticeable. Dangerously drinkable. This is the first Belgian IPA I've tried and I'm definitely a fan. Everything works together incredibly well in this beer. Awesome stuff.

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%

On tap at The Back Abbey in Claremont, CA.

A- pours a bright hazy golden with a bright creamy white head. Head stays a fizzy layer for entire drink.

S- Real earthy as expected... a lot of the Belgian yeast by-products there with some spicy, earthy hops noticeable more so than any standard belgian ale.

T- Seems to be very similar to a beefed up belgian pale ale, but after a while I get a vague citrusy taste out of the hops which starts to remind me a bit of american IPA's. With the Belgian yeast though you get that Belgian influence the entire time you drink this beer.

M/D- Nothing wrong here. It's good. It was much better than I thought it would be since I didn't think the Belgian yeast character would mesh well with increased hops but it actually worked ok. Bitterness was fairly low but the taste and aroma of hops were increased to make for a nice experience.

The whimsical, inquisitive gnome on the label beckoned me to try this.

11.2 oz. bottle into a Peroni stange.

Huge, snakelike hiss...and a massive blow over! HOLY CRAP! Should have opened this little guy in a bucket!

Pours a hazy, golden color with a massive fluffy white head. Good retention through the glass & sticky lacing. This head has staying power ~ frothy, foamy cool whip. Crazy...

The smell is crisp, clean & rich. Citrusy lime, ripe melon, a hint of banana (?). Doughy cream of wheat...is that YEAST?

The taste follows the nose for the most part. Sweet animal crackers are in the mix...along with citrus rind. Crisp & clean. Zesty carbonation & a peppery finish with a mildly bitter after taste. A seamless blend of hops & creamy malts. Well balanced throughout. The ABV is well concealed.

Medium body...with a satisfying, piney finish & a resiny, oily film on the lips.

Interesting, affordable & worth a look if you can get it.

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

A - Nice cloudy golden pour with stupid amount of head that was pretty frothy and stuck around forever

S - Lots of good fruity smells and hops

T - Banana, mango, smooth hops with Belgian yeast.

M - Medium body and light carbonation

D - Awesome. Very easy to drink and very enjoyable. I can definitely see grabbing several more bottles of this.

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 750 ml bottle into a tulip glass. Opened the bottle and foam shot out like mad!...without any sort of shaking and being in my fridge for days...not a good start...

Appears a cloudy golden orange with two finger white head with heavy lacing. A bunch of particulate matter floating around makes it look a bit less desirable, but it might've just been from the bottle foaming over.

Aroma is floral hops, honey sweetness, and some spiciness. Not too much going on.

Taste is initially sweet and floral, a bit of citrusy hops, sweet orange, and finish that is both spicy, herbal, and sweet. Leaves a citrusy aftertaste on the tongue.

Mouthfeel is on the full side of medium, high carbonation makes it very smooth, almost creamy.

Overall, despite the bottle nearly exploding on me, it ended up tasting great. Very nice hybrid type beer that I would gladly purchase again.

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Opening for my first little milestone: my 50th review.

Served in a tulip glass. Pours a honey color with a huge head that is evidence of the massive amounts of protein. There is also a lot of sediment suspended in the beer that's just not going anywhere. The head fades very, very slowly and leaves ridiculous amounts of lace all over the glass, as well as big icebergs of foam on top of the beer.

The smell is earthy and sweet with a little citrus. As far as taste goes, this is one complex beer. There are dark fruit flavors, chiefly fig and raisin. There are also some earthy tones that may either be the yeast, the hops, or both. Finishes with a warm peppery bitterness. As the beer warms, just a hint of butterscotch begins to creep in, but it's very subtle and pleasant.

The mouthfeel is a little sticky, and it coats the palate quite nicely. As far as drinkability goes, I'm glad I shared the bottle with my wife and a friend. I wouldn't have wanted the whole thing. It's quite filling.

3.52/5  rDev -16.4%

bought in to my store, sold half a case in one day! ... pours with an obscenely huge white rocky pederasts head and lacing ... lots of sweet honey and fresh pie with caramel (then blended on puree) .... is very smooth and delicious ... another beuty from the chouffers!! ...broccoli heads??

3.93/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured into the best available wine goblet, this beauty poured a light yellow gold color, a bit clouded, with a big white frothy head and solid lacing. The aroma is wheaty citrus with a surfside freshness, salt air sweetness. The flavor brings on more of the same with some bubblegum highlights and light citrus over a mellow sweet malt. Kind of grapey, fair drinkability, nicely carbonated, a pleasant viscosity. Very nice, fairly unique stuff from my experience.

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Just reading the term "Belgian IPA" provides a great feeling. A great history of brewing that has set the bar for the rest of the world is taking note of the (primarily) west coast USA brewing styles. On paper it should be a dream pairing.

I had a hard time with Belgian beers that advertise themselves as 'hoppy' and that's primarily due to what's available in the local market. We have floral, resiny, grassy, bitter, turbo, you name it as far as hops go.

Add to this mix belgian yeast and brewing techniques and that criteria is sort of thrown out the window.

My first taste of this beer was a mistake, I compared it too much to the West Coast IPA under the assumption that anything we can do they can do better. That was a big mistake.

My thinking was that too much hopping would diminish the complexities of the Belgian Yeast. This CAN be true in some beers. Not in this one. This one nails it to produce an excellent beer. It took a few years, but I'm hooked!

4.26/5  rDev +1.2%

I could have sworn I'd reviewed this years ago but I guess I was wrong...

75 cl bottle purchased from John's Grocery in Iowa City. As always is the case with Chouffe bombers, you get some very charming artwork and fairly detailed description of the brew on the bottle.

That's an absolutely sensational pour. It's causing a sensation. My senses is asationing. Like Duvel. Bright burst of orangegold sunshine with an absolutely perfect, tight white head that will never leave me no matter what I do because it loves me too much.

Smells a little tame but still complex and nice. Big nodes of whitepepper and loads of spicy Belgian yeast. The hops are spicy, not bitter. I'm not picking up the Amarillo but the Saaz is large and in charge.

Tastes much more complex than I had anticipated--I think I might have chilled it too much...

Upon warming a bit the smell hasn't changed that much. As I should have figured, though, this tastes much more like a Belgian pale than an American (or even British) IPA. Lots and lots of spicy yeast, very little alcohol zing or burn. Strong nodes of spicy european hops end things out. No huge complexity, no giant burn of hopiness. But it's wonderfully balanced and tastes great.

3.64/5  rDev -13.5%

Strong hop nose - citrusy and spicy. Sweet malt in the background also quite prominent. Milder banana and fruity ester profile. Alcohol noticed as it warms.

Pale golden, slightly hazy. Generously-sized white head, retains well. Lacing when swirled.

Curious mix of bitterness, citrus/spice hop flavor, and sweet malt character. Medium-sweet in the finish. Expecting bitterness to linger longer for an "IPA". Alcohol flavor appeared later. Would like this to finish drier and expect to have a little more hop flavor.

Light bodied, moderately carbonated. Body resembles a tripel more than an IPA.

Interesting combination of styles. Hoppiness not quite what I'd expect for an IPA. Finish out a little drier to improve drinkability.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

This beer was tasted in a wine glass. The beer pours a cloudy yellow with a rocky off white head that holds wonderfully and laces incredibly. Obviously the Belgian Yeast and massive hops combine for this wonderful head. The smell is full of Belgian yeasty spiciness and citrusy/spicy hops. Very nice aroma here. The taste is up front with hop bitterness. Again citrusy and spicy hops. A nice fruity and spicy hop character, with a toasty malt character. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lively carbonation. Overall a nice way to combine a tripel with an IPA.

4.27/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours an effervescent golden hue with a pillowy white head that mountains up to the top of the snifter. As the head recedes it leaves thin tiny bubbles, thickly laced in spotty patterns across the walls of the glass. Smell is intense! Ripe pear, green apple, orange juice, banana, white pepper, and clove. Taste isn't quite as intense as the nose, however it is very balanced and very unique in a good way! Begins with sweet banana bread and transitions into a citrus orange zest with a tongue tingling peppery finish. The alcohol slowly warms the back of the throat but is never overbearing. Everything balances everything out. No doubt there is a lot going on in this glass, the champagne like mouthfeel certainly helps melt it all together and dance it across the taste buds.

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearance- This brew pours a lovely gold. The head is thick and pillowy. Extreme lacing- Super thick head- I am sitting here looking at the brew and the head has now slowly dissipated in some areas and is now resembling a columbus clouds. The beer is fairly opaque, only allowing a bit of light to travel through it.

Smell- This beer smells like a tripel with a bit more hops. Very floraly, Belgian yeast and certainly a bit of hops- but not the American aggressive hops that we have all become accustomed to.

Taste- When the brew first hits my tongue, I get a tart feeling across my mouth. As I continue to drink, I get floral hints with slightly bitter hops. As the beer finishes I get a bit of Belgian yeast / funk combined with the floraly hops, tasting reminiscent to a tripel. Very nice taste.

Drinkability- This is a smooth beer that goes down EASY! I must say that it would be very easy for me to stock and drink this beer throughout a summer.

Thanks to BA member OnSlow (our local brew stocker) for ordering and letting us know that he had it!

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a huge head with crazy retention that won't leave the glass. With a cloudy orange color.

Smell is very citrusy with a little banana and a god dose of hops. Smells like an ipa tripel hybrid that leans a little bit more towards the ipa side. I haven't experienced that yet in this style.

WOW. Very sweet and citrusy with some lime and a little bit of lemon. A tiny bit of banana comes through as well. This is balanced with a healthy dose of citrusy hops that makes this beer a little bit more ipaish than belgianish. It's a nice balance and something I've not experienced before.

This beer clings well but is slightly astringent and Not overly bad though, those are minor criticisms.

This beer is superb. I like the hoppiness and how the belgian influence takes a backseat. Give this a try definetly.

3.94/5  rDev -6.4%

A=Large green tint bottle. I am also a fan of the trademark gnome of this brewery.
pours into a 18 oz pilsner glass with a rush of carbonation
mountain of pillowy head sits atop the glass and so far has remained half way down the beer.

S= As soon as I started to pour this I could tell I liked the aroma. gushes out citrus and a slight funk at first and is followed by slight bananna and spicy herbal notes.
Very very pleseant

T= Not near as much going on in the taste imho. A light bready maltyness. I get a slight medicinal taste somewhere in the middle of the tongue. Not any bad or off flavors just expected alot more from the aroma.

M/D= Mouth feel is really light and dry from the high carbonation. But if anything this makes the drinkability really easy and smooth.

3.68/5  rDev -12.6%

I love the little Chouffe.

A - Into a La Chouffe tulip, an aggressive pour yielded about 25cl of liquid and the rest of the glass head... apparently a perfect pour. It pours a clear golden/straw color with a huge, foamy head. Carbonation is plentiful and beautiful. Chunks of head all over the sides of the glass, and the lacing pattern is ridiculously cool.

S - Reminds me of a tripel, at least on the nose. Fruity, yeast esters, spicy hops on the nose. Definitely a good smelling brew. The more you drink, the more it smells of hops.

T - I went into this expecting tripel and was thrown for a loop. Definite hop profile proves interesting, as well as a major malt backbone not normally noted in most Belgian pales. Alcohol warms the tummy and is noted at times throughout the drink. It plays like... sweet, into fusel, into dry. This would be best on tap, I imagine. Almost soapy.

M - Good, well carbonated, perfect thickness.

D - Obvious fusel alcohol and soapy characteristics sorta blow it for me, yet I still enjoy it well enough to finish the 750ml.

Notes: I had high hopes for this and was slightly let down. I guess I was hoping for an Aldebaran, but got an overly sweet, as opposed to overly hoppy brew. I would love to try this fresh, on tap.

3.87/5  rDev -8.1%

Hazy straw yellow colored with a bright white head of meringue that rises up three whole inches and recedes so slowly that I have to wait before sipping. Particulate matter rises and falls in suspension.

Aroma of clove and yeast, some phenols and a hint of lemon.

Flavor of lemon and pepper, fruitiness, some grapefruit rind and yeast. Hoppy bitters linger with a piney tingle.

Mouthfeel is initially slick, moderately carbonated, but finishes dry and crisp and tingly. Pretty drinkable, but I expected some juicier hops.

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance - pours a fairly basic grainy straw color. A pile of foam builds up pretty fast and I can only fill the glass about two-thirds full. White snowy foam atop, leaving a thin, complete but see-through film of lace, quite interesting. Light volume of stuff floating in the brew. The more I pour in the cloudier and 'flakier' it gets regarding stuff in suspension. I have a nice plateau of foam well above the glass top now, a stately looking head. The last pour of the 750 creates this wild, cloudy, dirty thing like a building collapsing on itself with debris flying around, etc. The final look is a clouded obscure haz-mat yellow with a layer of stuff at the bottom and a puffy caulk-like array of foam at top, some of it from the original pour.

Aroma - flowery and mildly yeasty from a distance. When I get my nose right up on the foam, more of the citrusy and sharper hop aromas are there. Not in great volume, ever, but enough to tell they are there.

Taste - hey, that's different. Belgian malts with the initial sweetness, and yeast, then the obvious hop presence. Nothing like a US DIPA or larger, but way more than I've had in a Belgian. A little soapiness on the swallow, some fitting abv warmth, and the drying bitterness of the hops. They gain ground with warming and provide a better balance with the tripel bigness. Bitterness on the level of a solid American IPA, with the abv of a good Belgian Tripel. As I get through to the second half of the bottle, I could swear the flavors are combining to put out a late chocolate flavor I wasn't counting on. I'll bet this was fun to invent and test.

Mouthfeel - full and fluffy in the mouth, active carbonation lets them get away with a higher abv without it making such a large footprint on the profile.

Drinkability - an unseasoned palate of mine might not have appreciated this as much. A merry-feeling combo of two good styles. Thumbs up for the guys in the Ardennes. A good beer tasting pick for palates in the know.

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

On tap at Tyler's in Durham;

Flute glass arrives with a finger of white foam atop a hazy orangeade body. The head retains at a fluffy sheet and leaves thin rings of lacing.

Smells of crisp, tart apples and fresh bread dough.

Taste is crisp and citrusy, almost soda pop-like, and really refreshing. Medium-bodied with perfect carbonation and a solid herbal bitter hoppiness that balances the sweet, fruity brew, contributing mightily to top-notch drinkability.

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel from Brasserie d'Achouffe