Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel - Brasserie d'Achouffe

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA TripelHoublon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-13-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel Alström Bros

A- golden straw with plenty of sediment, huge fluffy white head with never ending retent that leaves behind soapy lacing

S- zesty, citrus, hoppy

T- fruity esters, apple, spicy hop, well balanced, some alcohol toward finish into after

M- warm medium body with noticeable carbonation and hopfeel

D- very tasty and well balanced, recommended, very interesting for the palette indeed.

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

750 ml bottle poured into a Boulevard Smokestack chalice. Huge fluffy white head that sticks to everything. I have to let the glass settle down so that the head can relax. There is still a dollop of foam floating in the center, just like a latte. Color is a hazy straw yellow. Bits of sediment swirl around.

Smell is a bit musty with some sweet aromatic hops. Taste is pretty dry and a little malty. The blend of hops comes off as lemon grass with a touch of honey. A touch of white pepper.

Mouthfeel is slightly creamy from the head with a nice dry pucker. Lingering musty after taste. Very enjoyable.

4.38/5  rDev +4%

A: Golden yellow pour, topped with a cumulonimbus cloud of head. Insanely sticky, a spectacular pour.

S: Citrus, some ripe fruits, a notable spiciness.

T: A modest hoppiness, much different than American styles, but done very nicely. Quite delicious. Citrus, herbal, and some floral 'flavours.' A nice touch of spiciness towards the middle and finish. Some light honey flavours, and a very nice malt sweetness, overall.

M + D: A nice body, smooth and almost creamy, but with a dry finish. One I'd get again and again... I had meant to get more Chouffe products for a while, and finally had a fellow make the recommendation of it this evening, so I decided it was time. It was a wise choice. I'll have to buy him a beer next time around! A nice drinker... goes down very smooth. The touch of alcohol warmth serves as a gentle reminder that it's got some oomph, but it's still nice for a little beyond sipping.

There's a staunch 2-finger melting toasted marshmallow/bubble bath consistency on the head with decent lacing. A little carbonation with natural honey-colored, moderately colored body. Cloudiness in the bottle dissipates a fair amount when pouring into the chalice of Cooperstown's finest. Looks extremely natural and rustic.

Update: after a couple of pours, the head has reached puffy spotty glacier proportions. This is some crazy $#!+.

Heavy aroma of banana, honey (recurring theme), apple, a little bit of regular white grapes, and a slight menthol burn. Nothing like I've smelled before. Slight skunky floral hoppiness is there too with some weird soapy sweetness (gardenia? Mental note - no recording tasting notes after 11 PM). At this point I'm confused but totally intrigued.

I have to admit - a lot of beers I tend to taste too cold. In a desperate effort to remediate this, I take this from cellar and refrigerate only minimally. HUGE mistake. Anything that tastes as German as this does HAS to go in the fridge longer than you'd expect from a 9.0% ABV Belgian powerhouse. It has a cold taste to it - first thought is German Pilsener and the label mentioning the Saaz hops confirms it after tossing me for a loop. A lot of honey and the Saaz - doesn't necessarily work for me in beautiful chemistry. There's a strong alcohol burn here hanging out on it's own. But it's interesting. WEIRD but interesting. I am glad that the components of heavy honey and menthol don't blend and balance as well as they should, because I can get that combo in the "cough and cold" section at CVS for a buck a bag. Not my thing but $#!+ dog, it's still wicked interesting.

On the mouth this is a star system beer - there are a lot of tastes and sensations with huge egos and presences working by themseleves trying to muscle each other out. A whole lot of the coating sweetness with the weird soapy bitterness of the Germanic hops along with the heavy alcohol. Doesn't taste like a dubbel, a tripel or an IPA; this $#!+ is funky.

Must try this again at the cold end of the range (45) vs. the warm end (55). I appreciate the quality of the individual components of this deal but feel like the guy in that bad SNL "Appalachian Emergency Room" skit with the railroad spike through his head - "My head ain't hurt 'dis bad since I did one of 'dem Su-do-ku puzzles..." I really want to have this without the Saaz and replacing them with something like, dunno...Columbus? This is very well made but stands the palate on its @$$ end something fierce. Impressive.

4.55/5  rDev +8.1%

Had on tap at the Englander in San Leandro. Poured into a Chouffe tulip glass. Poured a cloudy golden color, with only a small head remaining by the time it reached my table. Smell was bubble gum, hops, and glorius sweet yeasty funk smell. The taste was fantastic. It had a distrinct bubblegum / sweet yeast taste, that was balanced by an underlying bitterness.

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

The beer pours a hazy pale gold color with a bunch of yeast floaties in suspension and a towering white head. The aroma is great. It has a nice pale malt scent that's sweet and dry with a slight warming effect. The hop aroma is excellent. It blends well with the spicey yeast scent and the malt aroma. The taste is great as well. This beer has a ton of complexity. The malt taste is solid: pale with a dry finish. The yeast component is wonderful. It's earthy with a spicey character. The hops provide a bitter edge, but they really work well with the yeast. The spiciness is a wonderful companion. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This beer lived up to the hype. It complex and flavorful; a damn good drinker.

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%

Enjoyed in a wine glass. Bottle says this is Batch #4
A: Bottle overflowed when I first opened it. Mild pour yields 2 fingers of creamy, pillowy head. Hazy apricot color. Very pretty.
S: Fruity hoppiness and tropical fruitiness. A tiny bit of alcohol smell. Fruit-like apricot syrup and raw honey accents.
T: Belgian fruitiness. Quite sweet but great bitter foil! What an amazing new style the Belgian IPA is! Only negative to this beers taste is something a bit off that I can't place.
M: Very nice and smooth.
D: Delicious and keeps me wanting more. It is strong though!

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

This beer pours a pale, cloudy, golden color with an orange tinge. There is a huge white frothy head that sits on top, which receeds to leave a white lace all the way around the glass. As you drink the head settles to a glacier like clumpy mass in the center of the glass. It reminds me of a scoop of sherbert ice cream in a bowl of punch.

The aroma holds many fantastic qualities. An obvious hoppiness boasts spicy elements that are typical of a Belgian ale, but with a subtle citrus tone. There is also a slight alcohol scent that lingers in the glass.

At first sip the qualities of a Belgian Tripel are evident. A ceratin familiar fruitiness, as well as traditional spices start the beer off. A certain sweetness is present, and then followed by a desireable hop bitterness on the finish. This beer is truly a work of art.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied witha vibrant carbonation tingle.

Drinkability is fair, not overwhelmingly bitter so I was easily able to finish a 750ml myself. However, I recommend drinking this brew slowly or the 9% ABV will catch up with you.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

Out of a 750ml capped bottle which exploded upon opening. Pours an electric pale orange color with a good sized pure white head that left some fantastic rocky lacing and chunky cap. The smell is excellent, nice Belgian spices, light banana and clove, candi sugar, barn yard funk yeast combined with a citrus like hop aroma. The taste is of a beautiful golden Belgian ale, definitely tripel like with the candi sugar, Belgian yeast. The phenols don't stand out as much as a traditional tripel. There is a noticable hop presence in the finish. Stale grassy hops with a light piney and citrus hop combination. The feel is moderate with tingly carbonation, finishes a hair slick but with some hoppy bitterness.

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

This is my first Belgian IPA, and as though I still enjoy my DIPAs this is very good.

Wow what a head on this thing. I poured from a bottle and the beer went crazy, 4 finger thick head. I waited for about 3 minutes for the head to die down, but it never went away, what was left was the body of the foam, I blew on it and it was whisked away like whipped cream.

The beer has a spice to it that I very much enjoy, you can really smell and taste the hops, very citrusy, there is a hint of cinnamon in the brew.

The beer has a nice color to it as well, VERY thick yellow orange. I cant see through the glass.

There is a clear difference between drinking with and without the foam (I say foam because I can no longer descibe it as head), which has remained since I poured the beer. The foam gives it that extra character, whereas without it, it seems to have a very clean taste.

I could drink this beer for the rest of the night. Good beer.

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%

Big time gusher. A quarter of the contents end up on the table. Pale color with cloud like head. There is some cloudiness due to the eruption.

Bread, spicy hops, tangerine, lemon, and some mild apple skin in the nose.

Very spicy brew. Starts with candy and caramel flavors then moves into a very pleasant apple flavor. Hops are lemony, spicy, minty (altoids come to mind), and in your face. I also pick up on some cinnamon. Assertive bitterness.

My only criticism of this beer is the fact that the beer exploded upon opening, leaving me with only a portion of the contents and pushed the yeast into suspension. Other than that this beer is a thing of beauty. Hop character is classy yet in your face. It reminds me of a blend of Duvel, Saison Dupont, and an American IPA like Bridgeport IPA. Unique. Highly recommended.

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from the bottle into a typical pint glass.

Pours a cloudy yellow color with some yeast in there. The head lasts forever and stayed through the whole drink.

Tastes very bitter up front and is quickly countered by the malts. A piney undertone - not as pronounced as American IPAs, but still present.

Overall, a very convincing Belgian IPA.

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Had this before on tap at Monk's and Teresa's Next Door, but today I am having this at home. Overall a well brewed Belgian attempt to fuse a tradition belgian tripel and American IPA. I love this particular style because I love hops, but also this style has provided me more familiarity of tripels whcih has led to a love of them and saisons. I do especially like the yeasty and funk notes the tripel provides, and the subtle european hops creep through a bit stronger after you swallow your sip. I love the fruity character of this beer, and yeasty beer sediment is at the bottom of the glass. There's always lots of foam with these tripel/IPA hybrids and its attractive. the foam is almost like merange [sp!], very thick.

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Appears golden/yellow, a great whipped cream foam head. I took pictures of it, it was the most amazing head on a beer that I've seen in quite some time. Body appears very unfiltered and effervescent by means of the loads of carbonation bubbles springing from the bottom.

Aroma is spicy hops with a little skunkiness with apple cider and apple juice. Also light bread, yeast, and honey.

Spicy and tangy hops make up the taste. Nice hop balance, that is how the hops compliment each other and exceed where the others fail and vice versa. Starfruit in the hops as well wit a light clove-like spiciness.

Mouthfeel is thick and unfiltered. Nice, but kinda chewy.

I fine beer to drink. I would have preferedd more of a hop character, but this is my first Belgium IPA so I'm expecting my palate to change as I seek out more of this style. For where I am now this is a worthwhile brew, though I prefer American IPAs and Belgium, well, belgiums.

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

On tap at Deep Ellum, MA

A - Deep golden-yellow color with fluffy off-white head. Leaves huge sheeting as it works down the snifter.

S- The familiar yeasty, fresh fruity cracker notes of a good tripel stand out most, but floral hops are quite present and light, bready sweet malt notes round out the background. Very complex, balanced and really amazing.

T- Loads of complexity and depth here as well. The same yeasty tripel flavors come through, quite a bit of malty sweetness and enough hops flavors and bittering to balance and give a clear IPA impression. The yeasty flavors stick in the aftertaste, very easy drinking.

M - Smooth. Full mouthfeel without being cloying or sticky, enough carbonation to lighten it up a bit.

D- What a great beer, this was a serious treat and I'm going to have to pick up more of it. It's very well balanced, but keeps all of the unique elements very present. Definitely one to seek out if you haven't tried.

4.97/5  rDev +18.1%

Oh my God!! Now that they brought this out in 330's in brown bottles I am in heaven. I mean fucking shit; this beer is the shit!! Sorry for the profanities. (I believe those are the 2nd thru 4th swears I've written on this site.)

Anyways, conceptually this right up my alley. And the follow through is spot on! It fills a tulip glass to the rim with a lovely tight stark head which slowly settles into a noodle plateau that lasts throughout. Like the hat of a captain leading a ship past the Siren's this head ain't going anywhere.

One rock sings the fermentation characteristics of a tripel. Spicy, yeasty, fruity and full of life. From the other rock sings the floral high notes and bitter bass of a DIPA. But somehow Chouffe steers clear of the pitfalls of both. The nose is spicy and fruity with a bit of earthy hops in there. It's hard to detect what's hops and what's esters. The flavor brings some bitterness up front followed by pils malt sweetness, slight pineapple and a finsih that allows malt yeast and hops to have syncopated solos. Tastes of honey are left on my lips as I look forward to another bottle. Brown bottle, Amen.

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

I've wanted to try this for a while, but I wanted to hold out for a fresh bottle, so when Abe's got it in, I jumped on the chance to taste this beer. 750 mL bottle with a cool screen printed label, poured into two tulips.

Cloudy golden/light orange color with a huge white head that just sits there, looks like meringue and leaves tons of lace. Amazing.

Smell is deliciously hoppy, not to strong, though. It is balanced with some sweetness and fruitiness from the belgian yeast. Didn't pick up any of the 9% ABV in there.

Tasted exactly what i imagined, and hoped, a belgian ipa would taste like. It had the yeasty complexity of a great belgian ale with the bold hoppy flavors of an IPA. Everything in this one is in balance, too. Tastes like one delicious beer, not two beers haphazardly mixed together.

Mouthfeel was light with lots of carbonation, not watery at all. Very light and refreshing, i could drink this beer all night. Outstanding.

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%

A - hazy yellow with a big ol' head.

S - citrusy hops and a little bit of belgian rustic-ness.

T - yum. a true original. the hop aggressiveness of a typical ipa is countered with a smoothness and maltiness that make this one truly wonderful.

M - smooth, has the same sort of effervescence that you get from chouffe. some alcohol felt here, but considering its ABV, that's quite alright.

D - you can have two in a night and be done. not a session brew, but you're not expecting that with a brew of this stature, either.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

L:Bright sparling yellow. Very cloudy with a ton of sediment floating around. Bright white frothy heads that takes awhile to go away.
S:Very crisp lemon with just a touch of floral hops.
T:A slight nuttiness. Big creamy lemon zest. Very slight hops taste on the end.
M:Big creamy fat butter feel. Very warming.
D:AWESOME!!!! I love this damn beers. Hands down my favorite Belgium. The only thing I wish is the head was not as big. I just can't wait that long.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

I picked up a bottle of this at Nikki's in NP, RI based on the Beer Advocate ratings and I wasn't disappointed. I really enjoyed this one. It's simple perfection like an Orval but with a lot more kick. The flavor is very crisp, clean and balanced. It's a strong one not to be rushed so you can enjoy the experience. I plan to make this one a regular.

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Picked up a bottle of this at Hollingshead today.

Poured a hazy golden yellow. Quite attractive, actually. Except for the gigantic and ridiculous head. I don't see this noted on many reviews, so I won't grade the beer down, but it was insane. A four oz. pour resulted in foam threatening to overflow the top. It didn't settle down for five or ten minutes, and each pour afterwards for about half an hour yielded the same result. WTF? I didn't mistreat this beer whatsoever. As you may imagine, gobs of white foam coated the inside of the glass. I have never seen a beer look anything like this before. Smells like bread, yeast, and citrus/lemon.

Very interesting flavor. Not much of a traditional IPA mixture that I can tell. Tastes like a lemony, yeasty, sweet fruity, spicy Tripel with maybe a hint (just a hint) of hops and standard malt. I came into this beer with no expectations and came away somewhat confused. It's overriding character is an almost cloying sweetness, with not much bitterness except in the after-taste. So ... what were they going for here?

Nice thick mouthfeel, not particularly drinkable.

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured this into a tulip glass. Looks fantastic. Transparent golden yellow with a MASSIVE fluffy white head. Impressive lacing that sticks all over the place. Smell is very hoppy and sweet. Layers of yeast lie underneath the hops. Very fragrant. Taste is both bitter and fruity at the same time. Lots of citrus, but also white grapes and apples. Tasty! Nice and full body with plenty of carbonation. Finishes kind of dry. Well-balanced. Very warming on a cold winter's night. Pairs well with blue cheese, a close friend, and Super Mario Galaxy.

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours avery slightly hazy golden color, with a big white head. Head retention not bad for this abv. Huge lacing down the goblet. Smell is pretty good also...astringent typical Belgian aroma, but the hops come out here as well!

Taste is pretty good as well.Up front is some typical Belgian tastes: astringent, sweetness, banana. The follow up is hops. I finally know what people are saying when they put tobacco and hops in the same sentence. The hoppiness is more "earthy" than an American IPA hop experience. I never thought I would ever say "too much hops", but my expectations for a Belgian are different than for a West Coast IPA hop bomb.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin for a Belgian. I had a Piraat earlier today and the rich mouthfeel made the transition from sweet to bitter much smoother.

Drinkability is just ok here. Obviously not a session beer because of the abv, but the thin mouthfeel and bitterness at the end affect drinkability.

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

My first-ever beer from the brewery Brasserie d'Achouffe, and I was completely blown away by the overall quality and outstanding character of this terrific sample... From a 1pint, 16 fl oz large green bottle, pours an exceptional appearance with a cloudy, frothy, hazy sediment-filled strawish color with immense bubbly head with impressive staying power... smell is very intense, with a distinct bubble-gum aroma pouring out of the bottle with fruit and slight hops smell... taste was superb, full of fresh fruit, sweet grapefruit, and only slight hops... hardly any bitterness detected at all which surprised me considering the logo on the bottle claimed it was an "IPA Tripel"... not what I was expecting at all with such a sweet marriage of perfect flavors and a delicate balance of Amarillo, Tomahawk, and Saaz hops... As far as the 9% ABV is concerned, the alcohol is hard to detect with such strong and rich flavors...Outstanding, world-class brew, Definitely recommended...

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

A: a murky light orange. Substantial head with good leg on the glass
S:crisp, lightly penatrative
T: clean, nice lingering aftertaste that I find goes well with smokey/spice foods (ribs. brisket)
M: creamy, good fizz but not mouth filling
D: very drinkable, with or without food. Look forward to finding it on tap!

Will buy this one again if I ever find it. interested in cellaring but unsure about the bottlecap

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel from Brasserie d'Achouffe