Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel - Brasserie d'Achouffe

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA TripelHoublon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-13-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured into a duvel tulip glass which looks like a great idea as the head on this one is huge, as foretold by the exploding bottle which had been dormant for a few weeks. Pours a cloudy straw yellow wit a giant chunky foamy head, by chunky I mean not level. Aromas of banana and alcohol are dominant. Taste is bitter hops with banana and citrus with some maltiness.This is a great tasting beer but drinkability is limited by the alcohol.

WeymouthMike, Oct 15, 2006
3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Pours a hazed, straw yellow with a huge head of white foam. The head slowly settled into a very weird glob of thicker foam in the center of glass. It looks like a spoon full of marshmallow fluff was dropped into my glass. That eventually faded into the belly of the beer, leaving behind about 4 inches of lacing and a ¼ ring of foam around the glass with pockets of off-white fizz in the center. Smells of cloves, creamy malts and estery banana with a backbone of citrus hops. Starts with a light sweetness with some spice. Hops come out in a bitter finish. Earthier hops than the ones in the aroma. Mouthfeel is airy and light with a decent amount of carbonation. Definitely not as weird as I thought it was going to be. Much better than Urthel attempt, in my opinion. I would drink it again, but wouldn’t go out of my way to get it.

bwyker, Oct 13, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +9.3%

This beer made feel like a kid again when rootbeer floats were so cool to drink. Huge foamy head that stayed three inches thick at the bottom of the glass. I used a imperial pint glass and still waited five minutes to slowly pour this beer. The first part of the tongue got slapped around by the extravagantly hopped monter. next came the heavy mouthfeel and spicy lemongrass mixed with orange peel and coriander. This beer beer tasted four dimensional.
Great job to the brewmaster for thinking outside the norm.

athensbeermaster, Oct 11, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

I should have poured this into a Duvel glass because this is one heady beer! My goblet was two-thirds white foam and one-third hazy gold-hay liquid. Head retention impressive but it slowly faded quick enough so I could pour in more beer. I love the bubbly/whipped cream head! Of course there was lacing before I even started to drink it. Once I got all the beer into my glass there was tons of chunks (which I have mixed emotions about). No matter, the liquid is beautiful, the head is awesome, and the subsequent lacing is widespread. This is a glorious looking beer.

The nose is not as hoppy as Urthel Hop-it but I love the bouquet nevertheless. The blend of Chouffe house yeast funk and hops are a perfect marriage. Lemony, grassy, floral notes, grapefruit, and hints of earthy wood seem to be the main aromas derived from the hops; the nose doesn’t seem bitter. Juicy malt aromas, orange peel, a kiss of pepper, hints of fruit, and pie with a dash of clove at the finish. Overall the nose is fairly complex and similar to Thiriez XXtra. Moderate potency; chatty, and (most definitely) inviting. I can’t wait to taste it!

The palate is bitter and hot. I love it! There is grapefruit rinds, earthy/flowery Saaz hops, herbal lemon notes, spicy/grassy with tons of pepper at the finish. Mix in some cloves, bubblegum, pine notes, sugar cookies, and sweet sugary candy with a solvent smack at the finish. Is this the most complex, amazing Belgian beer I have tried? No. Is it really, really freaking good? Oh, hell yeah! This is one of the better hoppy Belgian beers I’ve tried. Granted there aren’t many to choose from but this is excellent. What a lovely beer.

Medium in body, fairly light actually, creamy carbonation, the mouthfeel is soothing and relaxing.

You know what sucks? I only have an 11.2oz bottle and I am almost finished with it. This is a very tasty beer. Is it a Tripel? No. Is it an IPA? No. Is it another kick ass beer from Achouffe? Oh yeah. I love this brewery and this beer has lived up to my internal hype. I was expecting a bit more American hop influence but this beer rocks “as is.” Thank you Bill, I loved every drop.

bditty187, Oct 10, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +16.4%

25.4 oz. bottle into a Duvel tulip over a long period of time.

Appearance: A thing of beauty really, with huge clumps, and I mean huge, hanging out around the glass. I've seen only few beers that have been able to do what this is doing. The body is a hazy gold from the yeast, with blasts of bubbles shooting up to the top. Alright, I can stop here, this is good enough for me. Just kidding of course.

Smell: Wisps of Belgian yeast, citrus, and pillowy floral hop qualities blended together in near-perfect harmony. Never did I think a style somewhat blending the nature of the IPA with a Tripel could do so much wondrous and effervescent things for the nose, but that was in the past. Slightly earthy and funky phenols somehow compliment everything in the way that lets them somehow be an accompaniment rather than something that overpowers the aroma. I'm not sure how they did this, but I'm going to enjoy it rather than ponder how.

Taste: First off, this has one of the longest and most complex finishes I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. But I digress. The initial notes are of nutty yeast, a smooth floral meld of citrus from the hops, subtle fruit like cherries and apples with a slight tinge of sourness, mild phenolic funkiness more medicinal than earthy, slight astringent and punchy bitterness, and then a beautiful sweet quality of floral exuberance before the finish, which as I said is extremely long, with the lingering fruit notes, yeast, and citrus hop bitterness, and it's seriously as close to indefatigable as I've ever tasted with a brew.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, crisp, creamy, full, and wonderful. I don't know how it's possible that all those attributes are working together, but they are.

Drinkability: The alcohol recognition really doesn't come into play for me, as the quality and balance of this brew is amazing. Also, at around $9 a bottle, the price range I think is very affordable. It paired very well with my spicy shrimp and penne pasta and made me feel like I was drinking a fine wine with it (when, really, I'd much rather have something like this brew to accompany the dish). I waited way too long to get a bottle of this, so I hope I can find more and stash a bunch away. I'd love to see what happens after some time in the cellar. But damn, this stuff is fantastic and I can't say enough about it.

asabreed, Oct 06, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

A - A strawish clear hue with a massive white head that looked amazing. The head stuck to the glass the whole way down. The glass had tons of tiny bubbles all racing to the top. This beer had a very attractive pour that really complimented its great flavors.

S - Very aromatic like soft silk, flowers, citrus, and yeast. The hop oils along with the belgian yeast gave this beer a great boquet of scents that were all very pleasant to nose. The complexities of this beer were very noticable in its scents especially as the beer came to a finish.

T - Tasted great nice and smooth. Not to crisp with a very soothing smoothness to it. Floral, citrus, and tangy hops flaors are predominant. The alcohol warms towards the bottom.

M - Oily and slick

D- Very good

ryantupy, Oct 05, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Out of a 750ml green glass bottle, capped, this beer pours a pale gold. The carbonation is nearly equal to that of Duvel, as a huge, fluffy and stiff, dome of foam solidifies a good inch above the lip of my flared snifter. The head's retention would last forever I'd predict, if I didn't eventually take a sip. The lacing is like white cotton candy smeard across all surfaces of the glass. A torrent of bubble screams up through the center.

The aroma is distinctly Belgian: clove, citrus, airy malt, the subtle presence of hops, and a strong sense of herbs and grass.

The taste is initially of citrus, berry, clove, banana, and creamy malt and yeast, then moves into an intense and satifying, bitter explosion of hops--a trio of amarillo, tomahawk, and saaz (harvested by wandering gnomes if you believe the bottle)--and a burst of alcohol, with a candy kissed finale.

The mouth is complex, though light-bodied, with ample carbonation as perviously noted, but I do not think overly so. The carbonation and creamy characteristics counter-acting the bitterness of the hops, resulting in a well-rounded brew.

I think this beer is highly drinkable for any acclimated to the style, not overwhelming in the hop, sugar, or alcohol categories like some. This is exactly what I want from a Tripel.

Osiris9588, Oct 03, 2006
4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

I had this on tap at Hollingshead. I think i like it better on tap because i dont remember liking it this much.

My mug was filled with a rich lemony straw color with many bubbles dancing up the sides. The was vibrant, foamy and clean white. Aromas of sweet spice, passion fruit and slight tangerine citrus hops.
The flavors are like a play on the palate. I get some sweet candied and yeasty trippel taste with a good follow up of citrus that isnt overpowering but present. A good mix.
Very effervescent on the tongue, crisp and clean. I could actually drink this all day. I know it's 9% but i couldnt really tell. A good showing this one.

SwillinBrew, Sep 27, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Lemony yellow with a slight haze, it pours with a massive head of white foam. The head retention is excellent as thick, pillowy, white chunks remain atop the beer from start to finish. Spiced, hoppy, citrus aroma with an earthy Tripel-like quality, plus a bit of floral sweetness in the mix too. Taste carries a citrus hoppiness up front, both sweet and tangy. The complex earthy and floral notes make their way through later on, and it leaves with a pleasant semi-bitter finish. The alcohol does not come though very strong at all. The mouthfeel seems light and fluffy, almost silky smooth.

This beer is excellent. Although it is strong and complex, the bready malt makes it still seem lighter, and the mix of flavors keeps you interested, making the drinkability almost dangerous. It's so damn good...

bennetj17, Sep 25, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

This beer pours a very hazy yellow color with one of the largest heads i've ever seen. If its poured with any vigor, this beer will explode in a white foamy head and will not stop growing. The smell is much like you would expect from a tripel-IPA, mostly a sweetly spiced nose with just a hint of hops. The taste is incredible, but this is a synthesis of my two favorite beer types so its pretty much a dream come true. For the first 3/4th of the beer its just like a lightly spiced tripel, but toward the end there is just a kiss of the bitter hops that you would expect out of an IPA. I wouldn't normally equate these beers together, but they are able to seamlessly take the best qualities of both and make one incredible beer. Very impressed.

Toddv29424, Sep 23, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +11.2%

Drank from an 11.2 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Julio's Liquor's, Westboro, MA

First, I must comment on the adorable and amazingly well designed bottle graphics.

As for the beer itself - it poured a murky, pale, mustard yellow with an enormous, white, rocky head that stuck in clumps to the sides of the glass. As the head subsided, it left a beautiful, sticky spiderweb of lacing. Even by the end of the beverage, substantial lacing and a noticeable head remained.

The smell was incredible. Yeasty with sweet and flowery saaz hops, spices and lemon peel.

The taste was smooth, flavorful and pleasantly hoppy from start to finish. Sweet malts and a cotton candy-like quality were apparent initially before the orange peel, coriander, clove and peppery notes kick in. Lastly, the hops finished with a luscious fruitiness and juiciness. Nice crisp and refreshing hop bittering in aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was outstanding. The beer was full and creamy with perfect carbonation. It felt like a cloud on my tongue.

Drinkability was outstanding. I hardly noticed the dangerously high 9% ABV.

This is truly a outstanding beer, perfect for savoring with a cheese plate.

Damian, Sep 22, 2006

The most hyped beer of 2006 lives up to the hype. This is a crazy beer. This beer possesses three different types of hops from around the world. I was expecting a little more hoppy-bitterness, but I am not disappointed though, very well balanced. Taste comes across citrus-piney lemony- like a lemon cough drop when sorely needed.

I really dig the uniqueness if this beer. An incredibly balanced be for what it is. A little pricy but worth a one shot without a doubt.

FLAbeergutinMASS, Sep 17, 2006
4.8/5  rDev +14%

750 Bottle with a variation on the typical Chouffe theme. Green bottle with 9%abv printed on the label. Golden color with fast moving carbonation and a huge mountain of rocky head and lace is up to the challenge. Extremely inviting. Perfect.

This brew has tripel characteristics all around it and in the middle. Fruity with loads of sweetened coconut, citrus, the typical belgian yeast goodness. Spicey as it goes along and warms up. Earthy on the backside. Back to the fruity phenols and then comes full circle and finishes with a spicey hopped up mcgillicuty. This could easily be a "5". It's the best tripel I've had in recent memory and the backend spices make this a "must taste".

Notes: You get what you pay for sometimes and in this case its worth every cent. The best way to describe this beer is that its got all the goodness of a superb belgian Tripel w/ an American hop twister on the frontside that actually blends well.

DogFood11, Sep 13, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

Big 'ol 750 given to me by ddarden. Thanks a bunch!

Drinking this one in small quantities from a wine tasting glass from Chateau Morrissette (PLUG!) in Virginia. Judging by first impression, a champagne flute might be better!

It looks sort of like a not-so-pale BMC in the glass. the head is nice and white, rather fluffy, and very active. Nice looking, but I think I stirred up some yeasty bits on my pour.

The smell is yeasty and spicy- sort of what one might expect from a good hefe.

The flavour is hearty and a little sweet, yet woody and a little bitte rin the middle. There's a weird (but VERY pleasing) aftertaste that's sort of like the sauce for the malai kofta at my local Indian restaurant. Very interesting and complex!

Crbonation is there, but not overpowering...liquid is hearty, but not thick. (Though maybe a touch oily.)

I think it's very drinkable. Goes down easy, is rather complex. I'd have more!

Be well
-UF

UncleFlip, Sep 12, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

750 ml bottle from Lucas Liquors in Ellisville, Mo.
Pours clear pale yellow with showy white head and heavy lace. Aroma is a strong point - Saaz hops and Chouffel's Belgian yeast to linger over before moving on to a citric light-medium body featuring a balance of malt with the typical Belgian flavors spiced with tangy citrus-orange American Amarillo-Tomahawlk hops. After a little competition for which will dominate the aftertaste a clean hop finish ends. I will repeat this one.

karst, Sep 11, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750ml green bottle, no date info.

Hazy lemon amber. Towering head of fine, cream-like eggshell bubbles that stands for a long time before settling to a still quite tall cap. The foam tastes like hop cream and you could spoon it into a bowl and eat it by itself. Huge, thick bands of lacing grace the glass. There are a few stray carbonation streams. The aromatics are distinctly Belgian triple, with crunchy white fruit, as well as nicely suggestive of a double IPA with spicy, citrusy, orangey hops. There is also a bit of alcohol that shines through. The alcohol edge is distinct from the first taste, but it meshes well with a the fruit crispness of the triple. It is warming and slightly sweet before the hops take over. They are both boldly spicy and citrus rindy, with a nice long lasting finish. There is a slightly resinous element to them as well. Medium body with a light mouthfeel that is well carbonated. Overall, this is an interesting and enjoyable blend of a triple and a double IPA. Highly drinkable, the aromatics were top notch and I could have gone through several more bottles. I am looking forward to the next release of this fantastic beer.

hopsaplenty, Sep 05, 2006
3.85/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured into a La Chouffe glass at the Map Room, Chicago

A - Little heady, hazy opaque orange rusty coloured. Serious lacing going on here.

S - Quite citrusy, little notes of spice and amarillo hops..mmm

T - Sweet, fizzy front. Notes of apricot, honey or candi sugar present. Almost wheaty middle flavor that follows through heavy on the hops

M - Amazing. Great medium-big texture that clings to your whole mouth.

D - Each sip leaves me contemplating this brew. A slow drinker, makes you stop and enjoy the beer. Good, but comparable to a barley wine in this respect, so i wont be grabbing for more than a glass of this bad boy.

... this brew is intruiging, difficult to discern any one flavour, this is one i'll come back to time and time again as my tastes evolve.

geographie, Sep 02, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Presentation: 750 ml bottle poured into a Chimay trappist glass.

Appearance: Cloudy yellow -- pours with a nice solid head that lasts throughout.

Smell: Fruity, piney notes with a bit of alcohol coming through. In terms of smell, the hops are very prominent in the nose.

Taste: The beer has a nice hop profile, with lots of lower alpha hops dominating. This is combined with a yeasty character. The alcohol is noticeable upfront and in the finish. The mouthfeel is crisp with an effervescent carbonation that finishes rather dry with only some lingering sweetness and bitterness.

Overall: This is a great artisinal beer, though might be a bit too raw for some people. If you like IPA's and tripels, you will love this beer, which combines both into one. A very interesting brew to say the least,

TagoMago, Sep 02, 2006
4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

What an absolutely interesting beer. A hoppy tripel. Certainly worth trying to experience it. Who would have thought? A new style emerges from Belgium. Now that they own the world in one category the world in one style the Belgian Brewers are doing hops too. A Belgian IPA. WOW.

Appearance: This beer pours a light gold with hazy orange hues. White head and adequate lacing.

Smell: Fascinating aroma of hoppy citrus pine and Belgian yeasty spices swirled together in the unique beer.

Taste: The flavor follows the nose. Sweet biscuity complex malt attribute parallels a yeasty spicy character that is truly a unique blends. The hops are bold but not overwhelming and interestingly placed next to a bit of lemon wheat flavor. Tasty.

Mouthfeel: Well carbonated creamy feel in the mouth.

Drinkability: Rarely would you need more than one bomber of a triple, and this one is no exception; that said, it is (considerably) easy to drink!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Sep 01, 2006
3.53/5  rDev -16.2%

This beer starts out quite strong! The PNW hops fight with pleasant yeast esters for quite the flavour combination!

When the beer was first served, it was rather cold but completely delicious. The yeast esters were balanced by the citrusy hops. But the wonderfully dry finish from the sugar used really let the hops shine. Delicious.

But as the beer warmed, the yeast esters took over more and more until the end when the beer was around room temp. At that point the beer tasted just like any other Tripel. Nothing too special.

But overall a pleasant experience. Nothing I'd really seek out, but I certainly don't regret it.

shbobdb, Aug 30, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a hazy dishwater blonde with remarkably little head. What tiny bit of head exists does stick around, however.

The aroma is faintly phenolic, with ever so slight hints of fruit. Banana dominates the subtle fruitiness, but again it's so subtle that's not saying much. Other tart fruits dart in and out. There isn't much in the way of hops hiding in the nose here.

What a unique taste! This is exactly what it's advertised to be. It tastes like a trippel, then suddenly, it tastes like an IPA. It isn't as though the two tastes merge... it's rather that one, then the other, become predominate. Simply amazing. It's almost like drinking two completely different beers one right after the other, yet both in the same glass at the same time. I'm stunned as to the way this came about. Quite well done!

The mouthfeel is very light. It's light for an IPA, and light for a trippel, yet it works here.

Overall, a very drinkable ale. Remarkable in its simplicity, and in its complexity. Outstanding!

jokelahoma, Aug 30, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Finally got my hands on some of this. Pours outrageously with a giant rocky head of fluffy, soft white. Body is Pale straw lemon with a faint haze. The glass is cobwebbed with lace. Powdered sugar, Orval-tart yeastiness, and a big citrusy, sea-air wall of hop juice bitterness. Interesting and inviting. Sugary fruit sweetness up front with wheaty malt. Soft, moderate feel witha very dry, peppery finish. Hops come on strong, but not American DIPA strong. Hops are citrusy and tart, refreshing and bitter. Along with De Ranke XX Bitter, perhaps the hoppiest Belgian brew I've had. Pretty good too.

alexgash, Aug 30, 2006
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml dark green bottle with no freshness date. Cool looking giant gnome picking hops on the front.

A- Semi-clear pale golden yellow, white head of the gods ... amazing white trail of lace all the way down the glass.

S- Loads of citrusy hops in the nose. Note of chouffe yeast funkiness ... very aromatic.

T&M- Moderate body, light crispness with a long smoothness. Quite bitter upfront ... citric, heavy herbal and tobacco hop flavor. Tight doughy biscuity malt lays underneath, mild kiss of honey like grain as well. Slight warming alcohol with a ghost like tropical fruit. Hint of phenols. Orangey hop finish complements the dry malt flavor in the end.

D- This is one of those epic ales that I will always remember and want to go back to. Right up there with XX Bitter yet a boat load more hops.

Jason, Aug 29, 2006
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this item at Max's on Casey's advice. A goblet full of bright golden liquid, topped with marshmellow fluff. Not a very bold aroma but nice. Super flavors and great balance, with just the right touch of carbonation to enhance. Smooth, clean, and complex finish with the alcohol heft neatly masked. Incredibly drinkable for all that beer. Wow!

BeerIsland, Aug 25, 2006
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bright, cloudy, straw-colored beer. A ton of very persistent and rocky head. Looks like cloudy champagne. Smells boozy and Belgian. Sweet apricots and banana.

Two great tastes that taste great together. Light and complex tripel flavor, plus an interesting bit of IPA. Piney Amarillo hops are just as good a kicker in Chouffe’s hybrid as they are in Gumballhead.

Mouthfeel is loose but not too light. With the heavy carbonation it makes the long list of flavors more drinkable. Nifty, and a little dangerous at this ABV. Lots of fun, and a good recommendation to adventurous non-beer-snob types.

maundythirsty, Aug 25, 2006