Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel - Brasserie d'Achouffe

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA TripelHoublon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-13-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel Alström Bros
4.63/5  rDev +10%

I've had this wonderful beer a couple times previously, both on-tap. We visited Achouffe in September - this beer was sold there in bottles, but was intended for export only (US market).

Recently bought a 75cl bottle at John's Marketplace in Portland; split that bottle with my wife in two goblets. Silk-screened label: Batch #2, best before end of 2009.

A: A hazy cloudy wheat-yellow color, with the most ridiculously large pillowy/rocky head. This one isn't measured in 'fingers', it's in 'hands'. Let's just say at least 1-hand worth of head, firm yet fluffy, and an excellent glassful of Belgian lace.

S: Wild combination of terrificly spiced Belgian tripel yeastiness and wonderfully fragrant American/Euro hops. Zesty coriander and clove mixed with Amarillo, Tomahawk and Saaz hops...it's hard to improve on that. Smells bounce between fruity, flowery, pine & herbs. Wow.

T: Combine a tasty Belgian Tripel with a mouthwatering IPA (double?)...what do you think you'll get? Outstanding flavor, spicy & sweet married with piney and citrus.

M: Just short of perfection; smooth with a moderate level of carbonation. Nice medium mouthfeel and body with an aftertaste that allows a sweet and syrup-iness to linger with a grassy/grapefruity/pine hoppiness.

D: Damn, this is such a fine beer. Wow - I'd drink this again and again (and again)...a favorite for both of us. Highly recommended. Among the best beers I've ever had, regardless of style.

4.85/5  rDev +15.2%

750ml bottle

Bought this bottle with a gift certificate that I got for Discount Liquor when I left my last company. Thanks Tom!

A-Unbelievable rocky head that is relentless. Beautiful golden body with lively carbonation coming from all angles. The sticky lace stuck all over the glass, and I mean everywhere!

S-As soon as I popped the top, the hop aroma was punching me in the face. It almost seems to be a battle between the spicy hops and the Belgian yeast strain. The doughy, earthy yeast is presented perfectly along side the hops.

T-What can I say...my two favorite styles combined into one masterpiece. The IPA side shines through early on and the sweetness of the tripel body comes through as it warms a little at mid bottle. Your tastebuds are juggling between American IPA and Belgian Tripel. Either way, everything turns into a happy concoction.

M-Great blend of bitterness up front followed by the sweetness of the tripel body and finished with a spicy Chouffe yeast quality. This would have been a perfect 5 if it were a little heavier on the Tripel sweetness.

D-Tough to find flaws in this if you are a hop head and a tripel fan. ABV is hidden and starts to creep on you. I could definately see a couple bombers being opened with the right group of friends for an all nighter.

Nicely done d'AChouffe!!!

Next challenge....homebrew clone of this!

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Sampled on--tap at The Sunset in Boston, MA.

This Belgian double IPA poured a cloudy, golden color with white foam that slowly settled and coated the inside of the glass. The smell was Belgian malt with a bit of fruitiness and some grape skins together with a nice hoppiness. The taste was a basic Belgian maltiness with a touch of sugar sweetness together with a vinous grape-skin flavor and layered with a rather strong hoppiness, but not an overpoweringly bitter hoppiness. Overall a very nice flavor combination. The mouthfeel was smooth and lightly sweet with medium body and low carbonation feel. The finish left the flavors of grape-skins and hops lingering pleasantly. This was a very nice beer, reminiscent of DeRanke XX Bitter.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Large 1pint 9.4 fl oz. green bottle with a picture of a little gnome picking hops. Pours a hazy light yellow with the most interesting head I have ever seen, like a brain floating on top of the beer and it's full of flavor and aroma sweet and hoppy! Lacing looks like chunks of paste stuck to the inside of my glass. Tons of carbonation. Aroma of biscuit, candi sugars, and citrus. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied. Candi sweet with a sharp citrus/metallic twang about halfway and rides out into the finish. Really an interesting beer that blends a sweet Belgian and a citrus bitter hops. Very complex, at the same time very drinkable. Don't let this easy drinker fool you, the ABV is pretty strong and I felt it pretty quick.

Cheers!

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a beer, this has so many flavors and smells that my crappy writing can't do it justice, but I will try. The body is slightly cloudy yellow/orange with massive creamy white head. The head itself had a very citrusy and piney hop taste. The first thing that comes to mind on the smell is a lemon pound cake. I also smell some spicy cloves or black pepper and there is a little grapefruit hidden in there too. The taste is more of the same it starts with citrus, then bready malts with a nice bitter ending. The bitter ending is great with the sweet citrus beginning and malty middle. This is a very impressive beer.

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

Warning: Stop pouring this beer early, as I got 2 inches of beer and 6 inches of head which is a huge foamy off white. Body is a yellow hazy straw colored hue. Lace is left thick on the glass, as the foam fades at about an inch every 4 minutes or so. Wow! Nose is a nice wheat and soft hop mix. I was amazed at how smooth and balanced this was, with a silkey belgium feel mingled with a nice mix of hops. Hop heads and belgium fans unite. Notes of vanilla and mellon exist. Finish is clean. Mouthfeel is welcomed. Very surprisingly drinkable.

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Had this on tap at the Brick Store Pub. Poured to a bright golden color, with possibly the thickest, most pillowy off-whte head I have ever seen. Head lingered thru entire glass, and slowly reduced to excellent lacing. Aroma was a very hoppy citrus, lemon and grapefruit. Taste was hoppy citrus bitterness, but with just enough malt to take the edge off. Palate was smooth and warming, as 9% alcohol made itself known. This beer was quite a treat.

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

Served at between cellar and fridge temperature just as the Mets got eliminated from the World Series... it was bittersweet, as I have found this incredibly delicious beer to be.

750ml bottle sampled over the course of two hours in a Duvel tulip, the only way to enjoy this mesmerizing brew...

Appearance- Amazing. Buttery gold and clear, the gorgeous four finger head rises like bread dough and settles to a visually stupefying cave-like cragginess. One of the most outstanding beers I've ever seen by all counts... maps of sticky lacing wardrobe the entire inside of my glass. This simply must be seen to be believed.

Smell- Peppery notes concede to spicy, flowery components... wonderfully fragrant with a wildflower and citrusy character. Some alcohol is evident on the nose, but the perfumy Saaz hops and their brethren carry a clean, distinctive aroma.

Taste- The dry, peppery, spicy, grassy hop profile underscores a beautiful smooth and mellow sweetness... it's damn near perfection in a glass. What balance! The finish is crisp and dry.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- In the beginning, when mostly beer poured into the glass, carbonation was sublime and the texture really complemented this one. As the tasting progresses, the head grows substantially larger but the mouthfeel becomes compromised. A bone dry hop bite lingers at the back and sides of the mouth.

Great beer, what a unique treat... no doubt I'll be seeking this out again...

4.63/5  rDev +10%

When I first tasted this beer with Chris Bauweraerts (the owner) I asked him about the hops. I immediately picked up the Amarillo in the nose, but not the Tomahawk or Saaz. Was the Tomahawk for bitterness?... "No! They're all in the finish", he replied. OK, my bad. And I noted that I also picked up the house yeast, but he seemed confused by that -??? It's there though!!! Yep. I just smelled it again. Very distinct La Chouffe yeast. It has almost a vanilla-ish scent to it in my opinion. Mineralish as well.

The bottle that we shared poured a hazy golden body beneath a massive head of rocky bright-white foam. It had been disturbed during the trip, but most of the La Chouffe beers I've had have been in the same condition as I usually drink it when I'm out. In fact, the only La Chouffe beer I've ever had at home before this was Mc Chouffe. But I digress. The bottle I'm enjoying now sat in my refrigerator at 35ºF for 3 weeks and the initial pour was clear and bright. It's a sparkling golden-orange with teeming, very-fine bubbles (kind of like a snow globe) beneath a HUGE rock head of bright white. In fact, it climbed out of the glass while I went into the other room to get a phone call. Impressive! And the lacing is quite possibly the best I've ever seen - I almost cannot see from one side of the glass to the other as it's covered in wallpaper-like streaks of solid lace. Stunning! I've never seen that before!

The nose remains the same, hoppy and yeasty! What I'm tasting now is more balanced though - floral and fruity/citrusy and spicy and lightly spruce-like over a chalky, candy-like maltiness. Again, impressive! (And I still think the Saaz takes a back seat to the bigger Americans! ;)

It's medium-bodied in the mouth with a dextrinous side and an effervescent "pillow" of carbonation on the tongue. Smooth, but not creamy. Lightly zesty. Nice!

The flavor is as the nose suggests... hoppy! It's initally fruity with yeastiness, but citrus-fruity/piney/minty/spicy hop flavors immediately settle in and take their roost atop a grassy, straw-like and mineralish malt and yeast combination. And at this point it's hard to discern what is what. What's from the yeast? What's from the hops? What's from the malt? It's just one pretty rounded malt-yeast-hop flavor! The alcohol is superbly hidden, and you probably won't feel this one coming until it's got it's arms completely around you ;( It finishes dry with some residual grassy and spicy hops, a flicker of alcohol, and a rub of mineralish and lightly chalky yeastiness.

Belgian tripel with hops? - yes!!! It's unusual, it's exciting, it's well-rounded, and balanced, and drinkable! Superb! The Houblon is without a doubt my favorite of the Achouffe line. Magnificent!!! If it wasn't 9% I could drink this all of the time!

4.9/5  rDev +16.4%

damn. what an amazing beer.

pours like Duvel with an immense ice cream cone head as dense as shaving cream. stands tall above the rim.

aromas are of dryness and a complex blend of subtle spice and candied fruit.

taste is just killer - combinations of honeyed burnt oranges and tropical fruit balanced with hints of drying bitterness without a DIPA edge. lip - smacking sweetness follows and you just gotta have more. WOW.

finish is just as complex and understatedly balanced.

masterstroke of brewing skill.

better on draft IMO.

k75

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Consumed on tap while at The Farmhouse in Emmaus, Pennsylvania on 10.14.06. Pale, golden, and almost straw-like in colour. Fantastic white, fluffy head. Lacing left its mark along the side of the glass. Amazing notes of floral, citrusy hops, and that great Belgian yeastiness. Fantastic aroma. Not overly cloying on the palate though. Light and crisp with a surprising smoothness despite the bitter punch. Great notes from the malt backbone and the citrusy hops on the palate as well.

Fantastic, to say the least. One of the more memorable beers that I have had in some time, to be sure.

Zum wohl!

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured into a duvel tulip glass which looks like a great idea as the head on this one is huge, as foretold by the exploding bottle which had been dormant for a few weeks. Pours a cloudy straw yellow wit a giant chunky foamy head, by chunky I mean not level. Aromas of banana and alcohol are dominant. Taste is bitter hops with banana and citrus with some maltiness.This is a great tasting beer but drinkability is limited by the alcohol.

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Pours a hazed, straw yellow with a huge head of white foam. The head slowly settled into a very weird glob of thicker foam in the center of glass. It looks like a spoon full of marshmallow fluff was dropped into my glass. That eventually faded into the belly of the beer, leaving behind about 4 inches of lacing and a ¼ ring of foam around the glass with pockets of off-white fizz in the center. Smells of cloves, creamy malts and estery banana with a backbone of citrus hops. Starts with a light sweetness with some spice. Hops come out in a bitter finish. Earthier hops than the ones in the aroma. Mouthfeel is airy and light with a decent amount of carbonation. Definitely not as weird as I thought it was going to be. Much better than Urthel attempt, in my opinion. I would drink it again, but wouldn’t go out of my way to get it.

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%

This beer made feel like a kid again when rootbeer floats were so cool to drink. Huge foamy head that stayed three inches thick at the bottom of the glass. I used a imperial pint glass and still waited five minutes to slowly pour this beer. The first part of the tongue got slapped around by the extravagantly hopped monter. next came the heavy mouthfeel and spicy lemongrass mixed with orange peel and coriander. This beer beer tasted four dimensional.
Great job to the brewmaster for thinking outside the norm.

4.83/5  rDev +14.7%

I should have poured this into a Duvel glass because this is one heady beer! My goblet was two-thirds white foam and one-third hazy gold-hay liquid. Head retention impressive but it slowly faded quick enough so I could pour in more beer. I love the bubbly/whipped cream head! Of course there was lacing before I even started to drink it. Once I got all the beer into my glass there was tons of chunks (which I have mixed emotions about). No matter, the liquid is beautiful, the head is awesome, and the subsequent lacing is widespread. This is a glorious looking beer.

The nose is not as hoppy as Urthel Hop-it but I love the bouquet nevertheless. The blend of Chouffe house yeast funk and hops are a perfect marriage. Lemony, grassy, floral notes, grapefruit, and hints of earthy wood seem to be the main aromas derived from the hops; the nose doesn’t seem bitter. Juicy malt aromas, orange peel, a kiss of pepper, hints of fruit, and pie with a dash of clove at the finish. Overall the nose is fairly complex and similar to Thiriez XXtra. Moderate potency; chatty, and (most definitely) inviting. I can’t wait to taste it!

The palate is bitter and hot. I love it! There is grapefruit rinds, earthy/flowery Saaz hops, herbal lemon notes, spicy/grassy with tons of pepper at the finish. Mix in some cloves, bubblegum, pine notes, sugar cookies, and sweet sugary candy with a solvent smack at the finish. Is this the most complex, amazing Belgian beer I have tried? No. Is it really, really freaking good? Oh, hell yeah! This is one of the better hoppy Belgian beers I’ve tried. Granted there aren’t many to choose from but this is excellent. What a lovely beer.

Medium in body, fairly light actually, creamy carbonation, the mouthfeel is soothing and relaxing.

You know what sucks? I only have an 11.2oz bottle and I am almost finished with it. This is a very tasty beer. Is it a Tripel? No. Is it an IPA? No. Is it another kick ass beer from Achouffe? Oh yeah. I love this brewery and this beer has lived up to my internal hype. I was expecting a bit more American hop influence but this beer rocks “as is.” Thank you Bill, I loved every drop.

4.9/5  rDev +16.4%

25.4 oz. bottle into a Duvel tulip over a long period of time.

Appearance: A thing of beauty really, with huge clumps, and I mean huge, hanging out around the glass. I've seen only few beers that have been able to do what this is doing. The body is a hazy gold from the yeast, with blasts of bubbles shooting up to the top. Alright, I can stop here, this is good enough for me. Just kidding of course.

Smell: Wisps of Belgian yeast, citrus, and pillowy floral hop qualities blended together in near-perfect harmony. Never did I think a style somewhat blending the nature of the IPA with a Tripel could do so much wondrous and effervescent things for the nose, but that was in the past. Slightly earthy and funky phenols somehow compliment everything in the way that lets them somehow be an accompaniment rather than something that overpowers the aroma. I'm not sure how they did this, but I'm going to enjoy it rather than ponder how.

Taste: First off, this has one of the longest and most complex finishes I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. But I digress. The initial notes are of nutty yeast, a smooth floral meld of citrus from the hops, subtle fruit like cherries and apples with a slight tinge of sourness, mild phenolic funkiness more medicinal than earthy, slight astringent and punchy bitterness, and then a beautiful sweet quality of floral exuberance before the finish, which as I said is extremely long, with the lingering fruit notes, yeast, and citrus hop bitterness, and it's seriously as close to indefatigable as I've ever tasted with a brew.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, crisp, creamy, full, and wonderful. I don't know how it's possible that all those attributes are working together, but they are.

Drinkability: The alcohol recognition really doesn't come into play for me, as the quality and balance of this brew is amazing. Also, at around $9 a bottle, the price range I think is very affordable. It paired very well with my spicy shrimp and penne pasta and made me feel like I was drinking a fine wine with it (when, really, I'd much rather have something like this brew to accompany the dish). I waited way too long to get a bottle of this, so I hope I can find more and stash a bunch away. I'd love to see what happens after some time in the cellar. But damn, this stuff is fantastic and I can't say enough about it.

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

A - A strawish clear hue with a massive white head that looked amazing. The head stuck to the glass the whole way down. The glass had tons of tiny bubbles all racing to the top. This beer had a very attractive pour that really complimented its great flavors.

S - Very aromatic like soft silk, flowers, citrus, and yeast. The hop oils along with the belgian yeast gave this beer a great boquet of scents that were all very pleasant to nose. The complexities of this beer were very noticable in its scents especially as the beer came to a finish.

T - Tasted great nice and smooth. Not to crisp with a very soothing smoothness to it. Floral, citrus, and tangy hops flaors are predominant. The alcohol warms towards the bottom.

M - Oily and slick

D- Very good

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Out of a 750ml green glass bottle, capped, this beer pours a pale gold. The carbonation is nearly equal to that of Duvel, as a huge, fluffy and stiff, dome of foam solidifies a good inch above the lip of my flared snifter. The head's retention would last forever I'd predict, if I didn't eventually take a sip. The lacing is like white cotton candy smeard across all surfaces of the glass. A torrent of bubble screams up through the center.

The aroma is distinctly Belgian: clove, citrus, airy malt, the subtle presence of hops, and a strong sense of herbs and grass.

The taste is initially of citrus, berry, clove, banana, and creamy malt and yeast, then moves into an intense and satifying, bitter explosion of hops--a trio of amarillo, tomahawk, and saaz (harvested by wandering gnomes if you believe the bottle)--and a burst of alcohol, with a candy kissed finale.

The mouth is complex, though light-bodied, with ample carbonation as perviously noted, but I do not think overly so. The carbonation and creamy characteristics counter-acting the bitterness of the hops, resulting in a well-rounded brew.

I think this beer is highly drinkable for any acclimated to the style, not overwhelming in the hop, sugar, or alcohol categories like some. This is exactly what I want from a Tripel.

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

I had this on tap at Hollingshead. I think i like it better on tap because i dont remember liking it this much.

My mug was filled with a rich lemony straw color with many bubbles dancing up the sides. The was vibrant, foamy and clean white. Aromas of sweet spice, passion fruit and slight tangerine citrus hops.
The flavors are like a play on the palate. I get some sweet candied and yeasty trippel taste with a good follow up of citrus that isnt overpowering but present. A good mix.
Very effervescent on the tongue, crisp and clean. I could actually drink this all day. I know it's 9% but i couldnt really tell. A good showing this one.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

Lemony yellow with a slight haze, it pours with a massive head of white foam. The head retention is excellent as thick, pillowy, white chunks remain atop the beer from start to finish. Spiced, hoppy, citrus aroma with an earthy Tripel-like quality, plus a bit of floral sweetness in the mix too. Taste carries a citrus hoppiness up front, both sweet and tangy. The complex earthy and floral notes make their way through later on, and it leaves with a pleasant semi-bitter finish. The alcohol does not come though very strong at all. The mouthfeel seems light and fluffy, almost silky smooth.

This beer is excellent. Although it is strong and complex, the bready malt makes it still seem lighter, and the mix of flavors keeps you interested, making the drinkability almost dangerous. It's so damn good...

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

This beer pours a very hazy yellow color with one of the largest heads i've ever seen. If its poured with any vigor, this beer will explode in a white foamy head and will not stop growing. The smell is much like you would expect from a tripel-IPA, mostly a sweetly spiced nose with just a hint of hops. The taste is incredible, but this is a synthesis of my two favorite beer types so its pretty much a dream come true. For the first 3/4th of the beer its just like a lightly spiced tripel, but toward the end there is just a kiss of the bitter hops that you would expect out of an IPA. I wouldn't normally equate these beers together, but they are able to seamlessly take the best qualities of both and make one incredible beer. Very impressed.

4.68/5  rDev +11.2%

Drank from an 11.2 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Julio's Liquor's, Westboro, MA

First, I must comment on the adorable and amazingly well designed bottle graphics.

As for the beer itself - it poured a murky, pale, mustard yellow with an enormous, white, rocky head that stuck in clumps to the sides of the glass. As the head subsided, it left a beautiful, sticky spiderweb of lacing. Even by the end of the beverage, substantial lacing and a noticeable head remained.

The smell was incredible. Yeasty with sweet and flowery saaz hops, spices and lemon peel.

The taste was smooth, flavorful and pleasantly hoppy from start to finish. Sweet malts and a cotton candy-like quality were apparent initially before the orange peel, coriander, clove and peppery notes kick in. Lastly, the hops finished with a luscious fruitiness and juiciness. Nice crisp and refreshing hop bittering in aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was outstanding. The beer was full and creamy with perfect carbonation. It felt like a cloud on my tongue.

Drinkability was outstanding. I hardly noticed the dangerously high 9% ABV.

This is truly a outstanding beer, perfect for savoring with a cheese plate.

The most hyped beer of 2006 lives up to the hype. This is a crazy beer. This beer possesses three different types of hops from around the world. I was expecting a little more hoppy-bitterness, but I am not disappointed though, very well balanced. Taste comes across citrus-piney lemony- like a lemon cough drop when sorely needed.

I really dig the uniqueness if this beer. An incredibly balanced be for what it is. A little pricy but worth a one shot without a doubt.

4.8/5  rDev +14%

750 Bottle with a variation on the typical Chouffe theme. Green bottle with 9%abv printed on the label. Golden color with fast moving carbonation and a huge mountain of rocky head and lace is up to the challenge. Extremely inviting. Perfect.

This brew has tripel characteristics all around it and in the middle. Fruity with loads of sweetened coconut, citrus, the typical belgian yeast goodness. Spicey as it goes along and warms up. Earthy on the backside. Back to the fruity phenols and then comes full circle and finishes with a spicey hopped up mcgillicuty. This could easily be a "5". It's the best tripel I've had in recent memory and the backend spices make this a "must taste".

Notes: You get what you pay for sometimes and in this case its worth every cent. The best way to describe this beer is that its got all the goodness of a superb belgian Tripel w/ an American hop twister on the frontside that actually blends well.

4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

Big 'ol 750 given to me by ddarden. Thanks a bunch!

Drinking this one in small quantities from a wine tasting glass from Chateau Morrissette (PLUG!) in Virginia. Judging by first impression, a champagne flute might be better!

It looks sort of like a not-so-pale BMC in the glass. the head is nice and white, rather fluffy, and very active. Nice looking, but I think I stirred up some yeasty bits on my pour.

The smell is yeasty and spicy- sort of what one might expect from a good hefe.

The flavour is hearty and a little sweet, yet woody and a little bitte rin the middle. There's a weird (but VERY pleasing) aftertaste that's sort of like the sauce for the malai kofta at my local Indian restaurant. Very interesting and complex!

Crbonation is there, but not overpowering...liquid is hearty, but not thick. (Though maybe a touch oily.)

I think it's very drinkable. Goes down easy, is rather complex. I'd have more!

Be well