Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel - Brasserie d'Achouffe

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA TripelHoublon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-13-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel Alström Bros
4.63/5  rDev +10%

Poured softly from a 750ml bottle but still created a giant head that looked like pillowy eggwhites leaving behind a glossy, bubbly, blonde orange body slightly cloudy. The aroma is crisp hops and citrus that pack a punch.

The nose is pine, lemon rind, with a soft wheat presence. The taste is crisp, fresh, fruity like a sorbet, and cleanses your palate with the carbonation in the same way. There is a pleasing alcohal fruit presence and the brew finishes sharp and bitter.

This is a fantastic brew, it has depth, a myriad of flavors, the only flaw is that it is slightly over carbonated IMO, but none the less fantastic.

Franchise, May 10, 2006
3.48/5  rDev -17.3%

Pours a hazy gold color with the most amazing head I've ever seen.... FAR better than duvel. The head rises to about three fingers, and falls very slowly, leaving behind huge amounts of lace, and a craggy cap on top of the beer. Simply beautiful.

Aroma is very subdued. I get mostly floral hops, but not a whole lot of them.

Flavor is odd to say the least. I honestly think that the hops and yeast esters cancel each other out. It's just a but thin. Of the two bottles I've had, they have both tasted different. But some things remain the same. It's too hoppy to be a triple, and not hoppy enough to be an IPA. It's too belgian-ey and estery to be an IPA, but not estery and yeasty enough to be a triple. I'm truly confused. It's an interesting beer to try, but don't expect either an IPA or a triple. Don't even expect a hybrid. Just expect a dry, beautiful looking beer, that doesn't quite know what it wants to be.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, for either style, and drinkability is pretty good.

I would buy this again, but it's not on the top of my list. I just don't have any idea what to think about it. It is definitely not what you expect. I'm curious to see what this may do with a bit of age on it... IPA's shouldn't be aged, but some belgians should... what do I do? At the very least, this beer gets the "prettiest beer award" in my book. That head is just unbelievable.

phisig137, May 10, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours with enormous fluffy head and outstanding lacing. Body is a cloudy yellow. Complex fruity and hoppy aroma. It is glorious.

The maker of this beer has hit a bullseye. The bitter, citric American hops pair well with the fruity esters and huge malts. You taste the fruit for an instant, then the hops. Fruit, hops, and so on and so on. Mouthfeel is incredibly thick, creamy, and foamy. The alcohol is barely perceived, drinkability is perfect.

Sephiroth, May 10, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +9.3%

Scary, Scary...Different than I expected but every bit as good! As you would expect, yellowish with a beautiful haze...

More of a Triple to the nose, though you get a hint of the hops. Definitely not the scent of an APA or IPA. Mild enough wafting out of my Stella Glass. Wish I had a goblet, I want to get my nose deep in this thing - switched to a Cabernet glass for the second helping - did not make a significant difference.

Opened it to my two girls begging for a sip of the foam. Foam was IPA all the way in flavor - very bitter - but rising a good two fingers and settling to a few cottonball-like clouds dancing in the glass.

Very drinkable - found myself swirling it around in my mouth so it would catch each and every taste bud I have....and loved every minute of it. What can I say - COMPLEX. I read one review that hit on the grapefruit and I think that is what stood ot to me - Very Nice!

I thought about buying 2 of these last thursday and only bought one - guess you know where I am going tomorrow and crossing my fingers that one is still there.

gpcollen1, May 10, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

75 cl green bottle, capped.

Appearance: Very hazy gold color, glows beautifully when held to light. Head is billowy and large, fades slow leaving large mounds of foam on top of the beer.

Smell: Standard Belgian yeast combines wonderfully with grapefruit, pineapple and other fruits very nicely. The hops are also a part of this, giving it a floral aspect.

Taste: Big and bold, this tripel is accented very well with this large dosing of hops. The flavors are fruity, the yeast is peppery, the hops bite hard. I could see laying a bottle of this down for a couple years, a little raw at this point (but I think that is the point). A cacophony of flavors, but very enjoyable nonetheless.

Mouthfeel: Smooth up front, alcohol and CO2 provide a nice backside to the mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Handling this bottle will not be a chore. This beer is big and spicy, very different, and the experimentation is welcomed.

TastyTaste, May 09, 2006
4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from the 750ml corked and caged bottle into a goblet. The beer was a bright and hazy golden color with tons of carbonation streaming up the glass with a three-finger fluffy pure white head. The is the best head retention of an beer I have ever seen (even Duvel). The head lasted the entire sample and hardley reduced from its three finger start. The top was almost marshmellow like fluffy.

The smell is soft fruit, citrus, cloves, spice, alcohol, white wine and malt.

The taste has an innitial crisp start with the alcohol readily apparent. This yeilds to a moderate hop content that in perspective with the triple style is much more, yet still not a "bitter" hop bite like an American IPA. Orange, corriander, and cloves are the dominate tastes all against a fairly sturdy malt backbone. Slightly spicy in the finish and the alcohol still lingers for the entire sample.

Medium body that is ultra carbonated.

I enjoyed the beer and found it drinkable but in carefull moderation. It nicely combines the aspect of a few styles while maintaining balance and character.

Sycodrummer, May 09, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from the 750ml bottle into a Duvel tulip glass. Body is a slightly hazy golden color, topped by a huge, beautiful, creamy stark white head. Pretty sticky lacing is left all over the glass as the head recedes to a marshmallow-puff island. Good carbonation - the bubbles keep flowing long after the pour.
The aroma is a touch musty up front, with Belgian ale yeast, some light spices, and a good bit of floral hops. Palate is, well, a hybrid between an IPA and a tripel. Sweet and mellow up front, with notes of light fruit and black pepper. Towards the back of the mouth the hops emerge, providing a nice slightly bitter finish along with some warming from the alcohol. Body is very nice, light and buttery, yet substantial enough to hold the complexity of the palate. Easy to drink for something so complex and strong. Man, I love the gnome.

ElGordo, May 07, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

Somebody had to marry the two of the most popular strong pale ale beer styles in the world. Brasserie D’Achouffe from Belgium finally did it, and the result is a hybrid Double IPA and Tripel. Unlike most Belgian bombers, this one was simply crown capped, with no cork to pull. As I poured out the contents of the green bomber into a Tulip, a massive soufflé like head formed above the rim of the glass reminding me very much of Duvel. Each time I poured more liquid, the head reappeared in its craggy peaks. While the looks were pretty much all Belgian, the aroma was more or less balanced between the two styles. The hops were easily detectable by the nose, but were most apparently of the floral Saaz variety, and not so much the citric and piney types found more commonly in the DIPAs. There was also a yeasty and bready smell typical of many Tripels. As the head died down, I could taste the beer, and the taste was more dominated by hops than the smell had led me so far. The bitterness of hops led to a taste sensation that was unmistakably influenced by modern American brewing. While not a high alpha hop bomb, this was clearly closer in taste to an APA or a single IPA, than a Tripel, although the peppery spiciness and candi sugar sweetness poking through from time to time were alien to those styles. If I had a bone to pick here, it would be with the readily apparent 9% ABV. Normally it’s not a bad thing for a beer to be warming, but that is not a typical characteristic of either of the two styles being melded into this concoction. The mouthfeel was light as a result of the sprightly carbonation, which was again in the Tripel territory. This beer was a bit underwhelming to me as a DIPA. As a Tripel, it was a ballsy brew. The seemingly dual nature of the experience was not a problem with me, but some others may find it a bit incoherent.

rajendra82, May 07, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured into an oversized wine glass. Cloudy golden with a massive rocky white head and thick, clumpy lacing. Nose is primarily of Saaz spiciness and "typical" Belgian yeast funk (y'know, green apples, tannic grape skins, newly mown hay, etc.) -- although because of this, I can't say it's anything special. Wow, this tastes exactly like the name makes it sound like it would taste: a primarily sweet and fruity tripel initially, then followed by a bitter and citric hop ballast. Hop flavors also range into grassy and medicinal territory as well. Medium body and clean, juicy, and full mouthfeel. Refreshing, in an odd sort of way. Not bad for the price ($5.99 + deposit and tax at Consumer's in Kenmore). Definitely one to try.

orfeu, May 07, 2006
3.55/5  rDev -15.7%

This one pours a cloudy golden color with a very tall head that sticks around a while and leaves plenty of lacing on the glass. The aroma is very floral and slightly spicy from the hops. Interesting. The flavor is full of hops that taste like noble hops. I really don't care for this type of hop flavoring, but the malt character is strong in the back and it lends a little caramel flavoring. The body is on the thick end of moderate and the drinkability is good.

clvand0, May 03, 2006
3.68/5  rDev -12.6%

highly hopped Belgium,the second in as many days. Bitterness is not as drinkable as was the Uthel hop-it, i.e. a character of malted offsetting like a double ipa. its got musty yeast that doesn't right hit the spot with me. Ntonetheless,much creaminess and an interesting hop profile for the hophead portion of me. Fresh from Knightly Spirits in Orlando.

Sammy, May 03, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

The Belgian-IPA hybrid is an idea whose time has truly come, and this beer marks that. Hopefully there will be other non-Belgian styles which can be crossed with Belgian brewing methods.

Beautiful color. Yellow/peachy/straw. Something like that. Massive carbonation gives off massive head.

Hops on the nose. Not overwhelming. In the taste as well. Bitterness doesn't overwhelm and you get lots of other hop flavors. Belgian tripel tastes (Belgian yeast esters, etc.) are underneath. You have to go looking for them.

That's the flaw in this beer. I want an interplay between the hops and the typical Belgian esters. This one doesn't quite pin it down. The one-off McKenzie brew (Vuuve) was able to pull it off and I hope others follow that model.

Summary: Good beer, but I hope they up the Belgian flavors in the future so this will neither emphasize its Belgianness nor its hops for a hybrid style.

GeoffFromSJ, Apr 30, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Friday evening, and my wife and I are sharing a large bomber bottle, poured into Chimay glasses.

A - Pours cloudy yelllow-orange with a thick, sexy, meringue-like head and a heavy and prominent lacing.

S - Citrusy, having just brewed an Amarillo APA, I instantly identifed the hoppy nose. Yum.

T - Starts with the citrus, grapefruity taste of the Amarillo's and somehow ends nicely with a tradtional tripel tang. Very different from any beer I have tried to date.

M - Nicely carbonated, the hops are tingling to the tongue.

D - Drink slow, and enjoy - every sip needs to be appreciated. Due to the extreme citrus hops, you will find it very difficult to pound down. Alcohol is not prominent, but will catch up with you quickly.

Very, very unique. Very enjoyable. Wife nodding and agreeing with this review. Will seek and destroy one of these again very soon!

Cheers!

djeffbee, Apr 29, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

served 50f into a mcchouffe glass. head is ridiculously large, slow to melt, apparently normal from other comments here. Powerful hoppy aroma reminds me more of an american IPA than anything from belgium i have had...below that some typical belgian triple notes come out.

Taste is interesting, I already know the background of this beer so some mental bias may exist but it is similar to la chouffe as far as the floral triple style, but the hops are over-powerful, an interesting juxtaposition, and one which works very well here. The 9% is invisible to me. I will have no trouble finishing the 750ml alone.

Aftertaste is initially the intense hops, fades into a milder maltier floral ending.

Fabulous beer, well worth getting.

dogfooddog, Apr 28, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

cloudy golden colored with a very thick white head that is ridiculously dense and lumpy.
the smell is a sweet banana/orange creamsicle aroma lying atop spicy grassy herbal hoppiness. maybe a vanilla-y cotton candy type aroma too along with some soft clove.
very unique flavor profile. right off the bat i'm thinking triple, than a big ass wit, than wait, whats with all the hops? tangy fruit flavors to begin, soft creamy candy, clove, bread, flollowed up with relatively very bitter ending, with herbal spicy bitterness, and finallly finsihing dryly with some more bready yeast. phew. between a 4.0 and 4.5 for taste, i'll round up in this case, it's quite a roller coaster. in a good way. my only complaint is that the hops seem somewhat at odds with the other flavors in here, but they don't clash significantly enough to really detract all that much.
a creamy thick medium body with sharp carbonation.
very drinkable, nearly none of the 9% abv is evident, and it goes down smoothly and very quickly.
experimental like and american beer, but belgian in character, quality and origin, a great combination.

kmo1030, Apr 28, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

I had this beer at the Stumbling Monk during my visit to Seattle, WA. The bartender said they just got it in that day. I had it on tap poured into the signature tulip glass.
A: Pours a cloudy orange-yellow color with a massive head. The head is so thick and massive it took over 7 minutes to pour the beer. This head looks and acts like whipped cream or marshmallow foam. The lacing is heavy, very heavy.
S: Wow, what a nose. Smells just like an IPA2 and a triple. A wonderful grapefruit / citrus and spice hoppy smell.
T: Tastes of hops, citrus and a mellow spiciness. Pretty complex but well balanced. I figured it would be too hoppy for me but the conditioning mellowed it down nicely.
M: The mouthfeel is medium/heavy with honey smoothness to it. Good carbonation to this brew.
D: This is a good slow drinking beer. I think, for me, I would limit it to two. Good and unique beer though. Kudos for Chouffe for trying something new and shaking up the establishment.

TheEclecticGent, Apr 27, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +4%

Whew.
I ordered this at the Stumbling Monk and was warned that this would take 8-10 minutes to pour. Being the true BA that I am, I said this was ok ... and I am glad I did.
This was presented to me with the most amazing head I have ever seen. Both of my friends that were with me commented that the head reminded them of a hot fudge sundae covered with whipped cream. I was stunned as I gazed at the bounty before me. I sniffed and caught a whiff of bitter grapefruit and pine. Marvelous!
I nibbled the head and tasted exactly what I smelled with the bitterness ramped up. As I made my way to the actual body of the beer I tasted more of the same coupled with sweet sugary cotton candy and spice. This seemed the perfect marriage of an IPA and a tripel. Mouth was nice and smooth. I instantly wanted another but restrained myself so that I could sample other offerings. A winner of a beer for sure.
6/2
I'm trying this in the bottle for the first time. The head wasn't as nice as it was on tap, but it was still damn good. Body is like pooled honey in my glass. Nose is honey, buggle gum and cotton candy. Nose is leagues away from what it was on tap. Plus, on my first sip on tap all I could taste from the foam was the hops. Here it seems the flavors have meshed (not that I thought balance was a problem before) and really complement each other. Props to Chouffe. You've made what I imagine will influence many other brewers in your country ... and will make you a legend.

TheBungyo, Apr 27, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +4%

This pours a yellow straw with a giant white foamy head. This beer has a ton of carbonation. The smell has a strong hop and sugar aroma. Those two scents are the most dominant,but there are also some pine and citrus zest aromas. The taste is hoppy and pine filled. This beer has an IPA taste,but with a sour aftertaste. Very interesting. The m/f is light and well balanced. Overall,this is a quality beer that should not be missed. The label says 9 % alcohol,but you can't tell by the taste. Mmmm Good beer.

jmz62565, Apr 27, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Much thanks to egajdzis for this much anticipated brew...
Appears a hazy light gold with a huge fluffy whipped cream foamy head. Tons of lacing. Tiny bubbles rise quickly to the top.
Smell is of hoppyness & Belgian sugar with notes of pine sap and orange zest.
Taste is of the same aromas with some honey sticking out.
Mouthfeel is of fully carbonated brew and much like a sweet dessert with a hoppy pine that lingers.

weeare138, Apr 27, 2006
3.93/5  rDev -6.7%

On tap at the Gingerman in New York. Light straw gold and hazy with a fluffy white head. Nose has lemon citrus, a little bread. The flavor really reminds me of a triple with a dump of hops. Light citrus lemon, light caramel, big citrus kick in the middle, a little grass a lot of alcohol on the finish. Light slick mouth feel, ok drinkability. I had great hopes for this beer. It really is what you would expect LaChouffe with a healthy supply of hops. If that’s what you want, you’ll really enjoy it. I was hoping for something a little different.

carln26, Apr 26, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

I'm always impressed with each and every return to this classy, hoppy ale. But it has never been fresher, more vibrant, or with more zeal than having it a the tasting room of the Duvel Brewery!

Incredibly bright and lively as the carbonation streams from the bottom of the glass in a very fluid dance-like motion, all the while fueling the stark cottony white head that tops the beer in confident and stubborn fashion. Intricate lacing patterns develop as the beer dissapears sip after sip.

Delicat hop aromas of floral, perfume, and citurs whaff over the senses with a backdrop of honey suckle, fresh baking bread, and hay-like grain. A fruity/spicy interplay of apples and pears mingle with dried orange peel and white pepper for an ultra complex nose.

The beer's pilsner malt base provides the most supple sweetness of light honey and powdered sugar just before the onslaught of hop rise to dominance. Citrus pith, pineapples, lemongrass, grapefruit, tangerine, tangy lemons, and mangos are just a few of the descernable fruit flavors that compose the estery mix. Yeasty spices of white pepper, cumin, and curacao add flavor to the fruit and carry it into a sharply but pleasantly grass-like herbal (almost piney) bitterness that provides a crisp and clean closure to the session.

Full and expansive at first becasue of the mouth pulling the champagne-like carbonation out of suspension, thus engulfing the mouth. But the dissipating carbonation takes with it the malty sweetness and terse weight leaving only an impression of fruit, spice, and bitterness on the palate to return.

Power and elegance are both on display and with remarkable balance- it's not a rival of IPA's but it is a hop-forward Belgian beer in all its glory.

BEERchitect, Apr 26, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Had this for the first time at PublickHouse last evening, it was served a bit
too cold, but I warmed it up a bit and the flavor really came through. The
appearance is good, but sometimes its hard to gauge in PH because its
kinda dark. The smell was not overwhelmingly hoppy, but the American IPA
hoppiness came through nicely in the flavor. This was balanced by the
high alcohol and good body of a Belgian Tripel.

Excellent beer. combines 2 of my more favorite types IPA and Belgian, but
melds the two in a pleasnt way.

Had this again, but at Redbones. Not sure if it was the spicy food
causing my tastes buds to malfunction, but I got a slimy almost
non-hop acidic quality. I won't revisit my original marks until
I taste with a clean pallet

ridedammit, Apr 26, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

I'd been looking forward to trying this since reading the article the bros. put out on this beer. IPAs and Tripels are some of my favorite styles, so what could be better than a marriage of the two?. It poured a deep golden color into my Duvel tulip and had a huge rocky head that took forever to dissipate. It left tons of lacing on the side of the glass. The aroma was an enticing mix of sweet malt, spices and candi sugar. The taste was a wonderful melding of sweetness, citrus, pine and peppery spiciness. The beer finishes quite dry. This was very easy to drink and quite smooth. The alcohol is well hidden and makes this beer a good thirst quencher. I could easily down one of these on a hot summer day. A hophead expecting something along the lines of an IPA might be disappointed though. This beer leans more towards it's Belgian roots and has more of the characteristics of a Tripel.

rodrot, Apr 26, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -1.9%

It pours a hazy lemonade golden yellow, bright and very carbonated. Several fingers of tught white head foam rapidly, then take forever to settle. Cosmos of lacing constellate the inside of the glass.

The aroma brings a quick whiff of berry sweet toasted malt, followed by a hoppy blast of citrus, botannica, and pine, as well as a tart yeasty tang. A tinny noble note accompanies a glint of alcohol.

Upon sipping, there flows a light malt sweetness seasoned by lemon and clove. Hops lend notes of acidic citrus, oily pine, and some floral hints. A yeasty bite shares the middle with a warming trend of alcohol. Grain returns toward the close, mildly sweet, and a lightly grassy hop bitterness lingers dryly at the finish. It's a playful and tasty blending of styles.

Between medium and full bodied, the flow flow coats and the hops leave a pleasant dry glow.

I can't imagine anyone's first sip of this being anything but a pleasing surprise. It's the merging of two worlds, yielding damn near the best of each. The ABV is hefty, but the way the beer dries and crisps it's very refreshing and drinkable. Some beers suffer by trying to be too many things, but this is not one of them. Instead, it has its own happy, snappy identity.

Foxman, Apr 25, 2006
4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

750 ml bottle. Pours a straw color with an amazing billowing head that appears to continue growing to a massive cap over top. Clarity is moderate, with a bit of haze in there. Massive cascading bubbles help maintain the head. This one is going to take a long tim to get a full glass poured. Nose is hindered a bit by the foam. I get most notes of the tripel. Solid pilsner malt sweetness with a moderate sugary sweetness, layered with light lemon and banana creamyness. Floral noble hops are definately there and prevalent, but seem to really blend well with the tripel aromas. I just can't get the head to receed enough to fill the glass to the 25 cl mark. The head is actually bordering on solid. It is dense. Flavor is not as hoppy as I expected. Its got a very nice sweetness, with just a kiss of banana fruityness and lemon, with a interesting combination of hop flavors that break through after swallowing the beer. The hops are floral, slightly soapy, and moderately bitter. It's tasty, yet seems like the hops are battling against the base beer. Feel is moderate, with a very nice smoothness about it. Carbonation is fairly minimal, as it seems to all have bubbled out maintaining the head. Overall, drinkability is good on this brew. The ABV is not apparent in the nose of flavor. I like the mouthfeel a lot. I wonder if the tap variety is as heady.

kmpitz2, Apr 25, 2006