Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel - Brasserie d'Achouffe

Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA TripelHoublon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel

Brasserie d'Achouffe visit their website

Belgian IPA |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-13-2006

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,386 | Reviews: 1,127
3.76/5  rDev -10.7%

This bottle of Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA was cellared in my basement for about 9 - 11 months. I believe that played a part in the faint aroma.

The beer pours a hazy golden color with some amber hues mixed in. On top is a thick creamy white head that slowly dissolves to a thick pillow floating on the beer. The foam completely coats the glass with thick clumps of lace. A faint aroma of orange citrus, mixed with some bubblegum sweetness, yeast and alcohol.

Each sip of this medium to full bodied beer is very soft and smooth with a mild carbonation. The flavor is a nice balance of sweet malt, spice and hops. It begins with sweet candy and honey flavors. Towards the middle I detect some notes of pepper and clove, probably from the yeast. At the end the hops kick in with a lemon citrus flavor. It finishes with some bitter medicine and alcohol flavors, which linger on the palate once the beer is gone.

This beer hides it's 9% alcohol very well. I'll have to get another, fresher bottle to see if the aroma improves.

3.57/5  rDev -15.2%

Other than samples of Hop It, this is my first Belgian IPA! Pale in color, this brew has an incredible head that clumps up, laces that glass, and refuses to disappear in any way.

The aromas show a little too much barnyard funk and not enough hops for a brew that purports to meld traditional Belgian styles with an IPA. In my ideal Belgian IPA, I think I'd get a more distinct, and maybe American hop presence in the bouquet.

That said, the flavor is spot on: a nice mix of typial Belgian spiciness (though it seems to be more in the saison/farmhouse tradition rather than the monastic/tripel one) and a dry, bitter finish. It drinks far too easily for a 9% brew, and I was amazed by how light the overall impression was--so much so that I've docked it points because it misrepresents the true soul of this beer.

This is a fascinating experiment and a solid, if flawed brew. I will be more than happy if I can make a Belgian IPA that enters the same ballpark as this brew.

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

750ml green bottle from Burby and Bates. Murky yellow body with chunks of yeast floating around and a couple inches of white to offwhite head that leaves a fair bit of lacing. Smells citrusy and piney, with a hint of skunk. Tastes sweet, citrusy, piney. Unfortunately, I'm tasting just a hint of skunk is also there, making this pretty good tasting. I bet this beer is phenominal fresh or on tap. Damn these green bottles. Still quite pleasant and drinkable.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

A - Poured a very light amber with a huge white frothy pillow like head. Soo much retention and frothy top left over, it was like a cloud sitting on top of the beer. Lots of haze from suspended particles and visible carbonation streaming up, looked wonderful.

S - Smell was very light and had many fruity esthers, most notably hints of plum, raisin, figs and pears. Hints of some nutmeg were also apparent. All balanced out nicely by the lovely hop aroma.

M & T - The taste was very hoppy, hoppiest belgian ale I have tasted to date. Very spicy and the alcohol tingled you lips and warmed your belly on the way down. Unbelievably smooth and delicate feel, really a very nice texture which greatly served to punctuate the flavor. Huge hop profile lingered for a good long time and provided a nice counter to the hugely complex fruity flavors.

D - Overall this was really nice. I could see myself having a glass in front of the tv anynight. Very hoppy and really bitter and well done. Very dry finish only served to cap off a great experience. Loved this one.

3.87/5  rDev -8.1%

Served in a tulip glass at Map Room 3/27/07.

A: Pours a pale golden color. Not much head. Pretty much just a faint skim and some ring. Lots of lace stuck to the glass.

S: Sweet and yeasty. Fresh cut grass hop aroma.

T: Bitter noble hops, and candi sweetness, followed by light toasted malt.

M: Very dry and puckery. Quite peppery.

D: Decent. This is pretty good, but, it didn't blow me away like so many other people. Will have to buy a fresh bottled example to compare.

3.7/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was eager to try this one, given its reputation and my fondness for American hops. But while this is certainly not a bust, it didn't click with me the way it clearly does with so many other BA'ers.

Pours a very hazy yellow gold, very robust multi-finger head, like many Belgian goldens. Aroma is definitely that crisp "Belgian" - but with an unusually spicy hoppy overtone.

I taste primarily pepper, which to me doesn't integrate so well into the more typical Belgian yeast style finish. There's little or no American-hops style character (by which I mean citrus or pine), but quite a bit of that edgy, spicy Saaz. Finishes okay, but that unintegrated malt-pepper-yeast is a drag for the next drink.

Not remotely a bad beer. Perhaps just one that I don't appreciate.

4.27/5  rDev +1.4%

I love Belgian style beers, and I love IPAs, so I was very excited to try this ber. It wasn't quite the magical collision I'd hoped for, but it was quite good.

Beer was a hazy pale yellow and very foamy. Aroma was of champagne and slightly sour, but not detectably hoppy. Flavor was puckery up-front like a tripel, and the finish was bitter, but not in a conventional IPA kind of way. A very distinct flavor all the way through. A very soft and billow-y mouthfeel. Delicious.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had on draft at Brisson's Tap Room. I think this was one of the first logs tapped there.

Full Duvel tulip. Biggest head on a beer I've ever seen. Bigger than Duvel. 4+ fingers of head. Looks like the head on a rootbeer float. Lace like the foam on the beach after a storm. Rocky and billowy. Lace looks crystalized on the entire inside of the glass. Huge muted white head. Shards of head hang precariously from the upper reaches of the glass. This is visually the single most interesting beer I've ever seen.
Golden orange hue with a cloudy muted haze.

HUGE hoppy nose, alcoholic and citrusy grapefruit pith with licorice and clove. Just a quick note. Do NOT eat a finger full or two of the head. It is downright nasty by itself. Bitter and astringent. Goes great with the beer, but as a main course, not a good idea.

Dry, underlying sweetness to the beer with a spicy hoppy bite. Grainy with a slight malty background. Citrus zestiness comes across from the beginning. Medium mouthfeel finishes very smooth and more drinkable than it began.

3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

11.2 oz bottle

well, a first of the style for me.
a lot of very noticeable yeast sediment in the bottle. Managed to keep most of it there, but there remained a decent amount of cloudiness and small particles in the yellow/pale golden pour. Two fingers of very airy white head that sticks around and laces nicely.

Typical Chouffe yeast aromas - sort of earthy, a bit phenolic. The hop profile is more reserved than many of us hopheads are used to, but is citrusy and maybe a bit floral. Interesting mix with the yeast.

More earthy/medicinal yeast up front, with fruit - banana, lime, grapefruit - right behind. A bit spicy, but I can't identify anything in particular. As I swallow, a pretty big finish presents itself: drying, and a lingering doughy bitterness. Just a bit of a metallic edge to the aftertaste I was less than fond of. A bit warming but nothing unusual for the strength. Medium body, and after the first couple expressive sips carbonation was a more appreciated moderate.

A little less lingering bitterness might be appreciated, but this is quite a unique beverage! I guess the hops and ABV make me think of American double IPA, but that part of the flavor seems more reminiscent of English IPA, albeit a bit more complex. Regardless, it is the first successful mating I've seen between Tripel and IPA. I'll definitely have another.

3.84/5  rDev -8.8%

Batch #2. Best by end of 2009.

A- Great golden color. Mostly clear with some rising carbonation. Very thick white head. Very slow to settle and leaves some great lacing.

S- My very first impression was that this smelled like a pilsner. A little skunkiness to it. It is not a very fragrant beer. There is some hop aroma to this, but it is kind of on the lighter side.

T- Sweet but with a good amount of hoppiness to this. A little bit of a kick to it. This is a very unique beer flavor wise. Alcohol is a little apparent.

M- The mouthfeel was great. The alcohol dryness contrasted very well with the sweetness and carbonation. It lead to a very interesting combination in the mouth.

D- This was a fairly refreshing beverage. It was also very interesting. Doesn't quite live up to the hype for me, but was worthwhile nonetheless.

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

Cloudy but vibrant gold with a small, white, creamy, quickly diminishing head, yet still has some good lacing. Fruity and fresh smell. Berry, herbs and alcohol esters. Hops really come out as soon as the first drop hits your lips. Wow, this is my first Belgian IPA and I have to say I’m impressed. Not what I was expecting at first, but once I settled into it, I really enjoyed it.

4.36/5  rDev +3.6%

This beer is in Europe only available at the brewery, so I had one picked up. Batch #4, so that's a recent batch.

Appearance was superb, yellow, light orange color with an enormous amount of carbonation and a thick, pasty and rocky head that just doesn't settle.

Smell is hoppy, resinous and spicy, without being overhopped. Although the hops are upfront and are key players, the yeast takes a fair amount of the attention. Typical Chouffe yeast which gives a spicy and fruity taste, some banana's.

Taste is bitter, but not mouth puckering like some other DIPAs I have had. Bitterness kicks in after swallowing, mainly at the back of my tongue. The hops do not appear to be very American, yes they are somewhat citric, piney and resinous, but taste European to me, which I know they are not off course. I do not get the usual grapefruit taste. The Chouffe yeast is very 'Belgian', spicy, fruity with some solvent and banana notes. Also a good amount of sugar must have been added, which always takes some of the maltiness away. Body is good though, medium, which makes the drinkability better.

This was not the US hopbomb I expected, but it is a very good beer.

4.63/5  rDev +10%

Poured from 750ml green bottle into a chalice at home.

A: Spectacular creamy head that stays for the whole beer. Golden yellow to light amber color with a heavy, steady stream of carbonation racing up the center of the glass.
S: Excellent balance between the sweet Belgian yeast and the fruity citrus hops. Very inviting.
T: Wow. Sweet honey flavor of malt comes first followed quickly by a citrus tang of the hops. Biscuity flavors come through balanced by a semi-sharp hop spiciness. The sweet malt sugar coats the mouth allowing for a sweet dry finish and warm, mellow alcohol ending. Yes, that is hoppy.
M: Oily and mouth-coating, yet comes off light. Mild carbonation.
D: Unbelievable how smoothly this goes down. I’m already about to pour myself another.

Gnomes make great beer.

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours out light golden with a large billowing head.

Smell. I get a lot of the saaz aromas with a lemon citrus. small yeastiness, and as it warms, i get a good sweetness like a tripel or bspa.

Taste. very interesting. first i get the taste of a tripel, but then the bittering hops kick in. nice balance with the hop bitterness and the candi sweetness. small bit of lemon citrus flavor with a little bit of a pepperyness to it. aftertaste is a little yeasty and i would say on the more bitter side.

Mouthfeel. tons of carbonation. very interesting, and very good balance. Body seems medium-full. this beer hides the alcohol very well.

Overall and great and unique beer. the color was lighter than i thought, but not a bad thing. the head is incredibly large and sustains through the whole beer. makes me wonder what a belgian double ipa would taste like (and how much alc they would make it)

4.01/5  rDev -4.8%

Color is cloudy amber with a very thick head that persists like whipped cream more than beer foam. The smell is weak and so-so, but the taste is superb - smooth with a bite, as well as plenty of hoppiness and fruity undertones. A very tasty brew that is worth looking for; I found it at the Brick Store Pub in Decatur (just east of Atlanta) Georgia.

4.48/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured into a tulip glass. Somewhat cloudy yellow-gold with a fantastic thick (practically solid) white head.

Great hoppy/yeasty aroma.

Delicious smooth citrusy hop flavor, and not too overpowering yeast presence. Tastes very fresh. Some sweetness, but also not too overpowering. The hoppy IPAness really balances the sweet tripelness in this beer.

Well-carbonated, easy to drink, not too overpoweringly alcoholy.

I'm not sure why I didn't give this beer such high reviews the first time I had it. Perhaps I expected it to be different. It's delicious and damn near perfectly balanced. Great for ANY beer drinker, period!

$6 a glass.

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

I've always wanted to try one of the 25.4 oz bottles from Brasserie d'Achouffe, and my local distributor (Half Time) had a 25% off sale. There isn't a better time.

Upon removing the cap, I got this strong whiff of, what I thought to be the typical "beer" smell. "Not a good sign", I thought. My glass was a little too full, so I took a sip before sitting down - Wow! Much different. Yes, it does have a backbone of a fairly typical IPA, but there is so much more to the actual profile. Hoppy & yeasty at the same time. The head started to settle, and the foam was cappuccino-like in appearance. I've never seen that in a beer. The overall appearance matches the yellow on the bottle - pure golden with sentiment throughout.

Back to the flavor profile - along with the doughy aspect comes an orange-citrus aura. There is a bitterness, which you'd expect, but it's perfectly balanced, as the bitterness fades into a sweetness.

Highly recommended.

4.42/5  rDev +5%

Had a glass on tap at The Map Room in Chicago, poured into a Houblon Chouffe glass.

The appearance was a orange yellow hue with a nice white frothy head.

The aroma was full of orange/citrus, spices, yeast, and light banana

The taste was extremely smooth, with great flavors hops, breads,
fruits. a very well balenced beer that hides the alcohol, yet still has a nice bit.

The mouth feel was pleasent, nice amount of carbination.

Drinkable..Hell yes
If you get the chance ...do it

3.55/5  rDev -15.7%

On-tap 2/24/07 at British Beer Company, served in a tulip glass.

A: The beer is a deep yellow color, with a medium white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick even lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of Belgian yeast, spice, some hops and a little bit of fruit (banana & apple).

T: A strong Belgian yeast flavor mixed with a floral hops bitterness dominates the taste. There’s a tiny bit of malt and fruit sweetness. After-taste is bready and bitter.

M: Crisp with a little smoothness, light-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is dry and clean.

D: A little tasty, goes down ok, not filling, hell of a kick to it, but I found this beer fell short of the hype surrounding it.

3.79/5  rDev -10%

Ordered online. Poured into my Schiltz Chalice, this Belgian ale poured with a monstrous foam of good density, forming cool shapes as it fell. Dried herbs, with hints of fruits (white peach and pear), some aroma hops. Herbal and dry initially, until the mid-palate leads way into a deep, sweet, estery fruitiness, with hints of mint. Finish has some hops, lingering herb and spruce. Just okay. Not very magical. Could be hoppier.

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Hmm...I think my bottle was a bit light struck. It initially smelled skunky, but letting it air out helped tremendously. At any rate, pours a very cloudy, golden, straw yellow. A few bits of sediment suspended perfectly throughout. Huge, reactive head that resembled really airy whip cream. Some parts of the head stuck to my snifter and never dissipated. Now, Americans should not get their hopes up, because this isn't anything like an American IPA. However, you can pick up the grapefruity scent and flavor of the hops. It smells like a tropical smoothie with light booze. It tastes exactly how I thought it would...yeasty, citrusy, with a sweet malt background. Medium to medium full body that is perfectly smooth. Great beer.

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a hazy light pastel yellow color with a stiff two finger white head. Violent, explosively eruptive effervescence demands your attention. 3 dimensional lacing can be observed… I’m talking ice cream soda-like chucks of foam stuck along all around the glass. Tons of visible ‘bits’ suspended throughout.

A light aroma of lemon citrus is complemented by a solid malt presence.

The mouthfeel follows the bubbly carbonation. This beverage sports a light refreshing body. The 9% alcohol is well hidden. The flavor is a bit tart and fruity and finishes clean.

I find it very drinkable.

4.58/5  rDev +8.8%

A: Orange with beautiful fluffy white head

S: Piney hops with orange peel. Slight spice with slight alcohol.

T: mostly hoppy fading to sweetness. Spice comes through on finish. Crisp finish.

D: Very good for 9 abv beer.

M: Semi-light with good carbonation.

Ovr: I really enjoyed this beer. I thought it was a perfect blend of a hoppy American IPA, and a Belgian. I've always loved Fantome Brise Bon Bons, which is similar, but I enjoyed this beer even more.

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

750ml green bottle, capped with a silk screen label. Once poured, this beer looks amazing in the glass. Golden-yellow with a huge, fluffy white head that lasts. Tons of bubbles make their way to the top.

Smell is very grassy with a hint of malt. Very green. Very effervesant in the mouth as it almost explodes. The flavors are very well integrated and extremely smooth. The hop notes come through more in the end as the grassy notes stay with you. A lot of the sweet flavors you would expect from a tripel help to balance out the hops and might slightly out match them.

Overall a very interesting beer with some very interesting flavors. Sorry to repeat myself but the flavors do come together nicely. One of the best looking beers I have seen. Well done.

4.38/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Biergarden, Portsmouth VA. As I’d expected, a very "Belgian" visual ... hazy yellow with a big airy, foam topping. This drank extremely smoothly with a definite alcohol-spice kick, a bit of a dirty orange peel aspect, wonderfully complex, yeasty, bready, grassy, barky, with a quite bitter finish. Excited to read the description of this as a cross with American Imperial IPAs, because it all makes sense now! (#2694, 2/10/2007)

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel from Brasserie d'Achouffe