Tenpenny Ale - Homestead Beer Co.

Tenpenny AleTenpenny Ale

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Homestead Beer Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  4.60% ABV

Beer added by: RblWthACoz on 10-16-2013

3.33/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This one opened a little badly - it foamed all over the place. The bottle could have been old - I should not be buying junky random beer at Heinen's.

I had to look up where this brewery is - I70 East of Columbus.

It opened with a problem - way too much foam. I handled it a bit warming it up, but the foam was excessive. It is not as pretty as a red could be. Should be. The aroma has that interesting funky yeast smell with a little hops. The taste is in the same place - hoppy, yeasty, funky badness. Yet interesting. The aftertaste is slightly tangy and sharp.

The brew almost makes it to the big leagues, but it is amateurish. Not recommended.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. ABV listed as 5.2
A: Hazy brown with an extremely frothy head even with a slow pour
S: Bready, malty, a hint of hops
T: Matches the nose
M: Medium-bodied, a touch sweet/bitter
O: Easy to drink but I'd prefer a bit more depth

3.47/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A decent enough amber ale from Homestead Beer co. Pours with a thick white head and a hazy copper/amber color and thick cling to your glass lacing. Spicy hops and sweet caramel malts on the nose, light bread aroma. Nice mouth feel with assertive bittering hops on the front and side, and a copper kettle like taste with sweet malts to the front. Another reviewer, msalsbury, said it best when comparing this to Dead Guy ale, I agree 100 percent. While I am not a hop head by any stretch of the means, this is a highly quaffable solid American style amber. A session beer excellent for having after mowing the lawn or a tedious project. Decent enough price as well. Will look for other styles from them for further analysis.

3.81/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22 ounce bottle, bottle #000866. Label on my bottle says 5.4% ABV. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a mostly clear amber color with an inch off-white head that sticks around for a while. There's also a good amount of lacing. The brew smells like caramel malt, stone fruit and some grassy/piney hops. Taste is similar to the aroma, but I also pick up some bready malt too. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's coating, smooth and very easy to drink. Low/moderate carbonation. I thought this was a solid amber ale, I'd buy this again. This is the first Homestead beer I've tried, and I'll make a point to try their other beers when I come across them. $4.99 a bomber.

3.14/5  rDev -11.5%

Bear in mind as you read this review that I'm NOT a fan of hoppy beers. I believe hops is an integral part of a beer, but that it shouldn't overwhelm or dominate the flavor. If you disagree, your impression of this beer is likely to be vastly different from mine.

It pours a slightly cloudy coppery amber with a bit more than finger-thick off-white head.

The aroma is mildly to moderately hoppy, with some malt hiding underneath.

The flavor starts out with a solid dose of hops bitterness. This backs off a bit in the middle and lets the sweeter caramel malt come out. The finish is a combination of roasted grain bitterness and hops. The bitterness lingers long after you've swallowed it.

It reminds me quite a bit of Rogue Dead Guy Ale, which also hits the same 35 IBU level that Tenpenny Ale does.

It seems like a very well-made beer, it's just not really to my taste.

Tenpenny Ale from Homestead Beer Co.
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.