El Rojo Red Ale - Griffin Claw Brewing Company

El Rojo Red AleEl Rojo Red Ale

good

Griffin Claw Brewing Company visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: TheBrewo on 12-08-2013)
Reviews by carlborch:
4.38/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured a bright amber-brown-red with a faint hint of haze. Two-finger tan, creamy, persistent head, that settled in at 1/16th inch. Hop, spice and caramel nose. Medium body, great lingering malt notes with suggestions of toast, sweet biscuits, the woods, and some citrus and pine. Totally moreish! Well-balanced hops and malt, leaning into the malts. Some light, yet distinct lace forms. A definite re-purchase.

2.75/5  rDev -25.5%

4.44/5  rDev +20.3%

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

3.76/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a can of Griffin Claw's El Rojo Red Ale a couple days ago for $2.09 at The Lager Mill. This is the last of the three new Griffin Claw beers that I picked up to try, the IPA and Pale Ale were both solid and i'm interested to see how this one turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date, but it just showed up recently so I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a tall 16oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks pretty good, it's a got bandito looking guy and it and it goes well with the name, i think it's fairly eye catching. It poured a redish brown color that took on more of a ruby color when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left lots of patchy rings of lacing behind. This is a very good looking Red Ale, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of malts showing up first imparting some grainy, toasted malt, caramel malt and some light bready aromas with the caramel malts seeming to stick out the most along with some sweet malts. Up next comes a pretty fruity aroma which I think it from the yeast, it's very noticeable. Towards the end comes slightly earthy and spicy hops. The aroma is nice and I think it's fairly unique for the style.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it start off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts showing up first and imparting all the aspects that I got in the aroma with the caramel malts still sticking out the most. Up next comes that same fruity yeast that I picked up in the aroma that still sticks out a good deal. On the finish there's some light earthy and spicy hops that impart a medium amount of bitterness with a sweet, caramel malt, and fruity yeast aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer and I think the fruity yeast makes it stand out.

M- Smooth, clean, a little crisp, a little creamy, on the thicker side of being medium bodied that's on the border of being full bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was good beer and it was nice and somewhat unique example of a Red Ale, it was heavy on the caramel malts with just enough bitterness to balance it out and the fruity yeast made it stick out, I enjoyed it. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, clean, a little filling and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I could drink a pint or two of this in a row, but it might start to become too filling after that. What I like the most about this beer was how unique it is, it would be hard to confuse this with most Red Ales. What I liked the least about this beer was the aroma, it wasn't bad but i thought the sweetness was a little overpowering. I would buy this beer again, I don't think I would buy it often, but I would pick some up once in a while. I would recommend this to anyone who likes the style. All in all I was happy with this beer, It's not the best Red Ale I have ever, had but I did find it unique for the style and that made it memorable for me. Good job guys, this was a very solid and unique Red Ale, keep up the good work.

3.8/5  rDev +3%