Grand Trunk Bohemian Pilsner - Griffin Claw Brewing Company

Grand Trunk Bohemian PilsnerGrand Trunk Bohemian Pilsner

Griffin Claw Brewing Company visit their website

Czech Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: StoutHunter on 01-26-2014)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

scottlerok, May 15, 2014

solotruck, Sep 26, 2014

HardyA, Feb 16, 2014
3.49/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a can of Griffin Claw's Grand Trunk Bohemnian Pilsner a couple days ago for $2.09 at The Lager Mill. This one just hit the shelves and since I thought that the other Griffin Claw beers I have tried have been solid I thought I would give this one a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date, but it just showed up so it's pretty fresh. Poured from a tall 16oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks ok, it's a little weird to see a picture of a woman tied up on some train tracks, but it makes it fairly eye catching. It poured a very clear yellow color that took on a golden color when held to the light with two fingers worth of white head that died down to a very thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking Pilsener, but I wish the lacing was a little better.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart a grassy, earthy, and spicy hop aromas with the spicy hops seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes the malts that impart a pretty grainy and pale malt like aromas with some sweet and bready malts also coming through along with some doughy yeast in the background. This beer had a nice aroma that was fairly true to style.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart all those malty aspects that I got in the aroma with the grainy and bready malts seeming to stick out the most and there's some of that doughy yeast in the background. Up next comes the hops that quickly follow the malts and they impart all those hoppy aspects that I got in the aroma with the spicy hops still sticking out the most and they impart a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness that lingers a little with a bready and spicy hop aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer that was pretty hoppy for the style.

M- Not the smoothest Pilsener, clean, crisp, on the light side of being medium bodied bordering on being light bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was decent, but the higher bitterness prevented it from being as smooth as it could be.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and I thought that it was a decent Pilsener, but with the higher amount of hops it isn't the truest to style, but as a very hoppy Pilsener I think it works out nicely, but it could still use a little more balance. This beer had ok drinkability, it was a little smooth, clean, crisp, not too filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, but the higher bitterness would prevent me from drinking more than two since I think the bitterness would start to wear on me after that so I don't think I would session this beer, but it might be nice to enjoy in the summer. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, to me it was the aspect that was the truest to style. What I liked the least about this beer was that the bitterness got a little out of hand, I understand this is suppose to be a pretty hoppy Pilsener, but I still would have liked a little more balance. I might buy this beer again, it isn't the type of beer that I would buy regularly, but if I was in the mood for a pretty hoppy Pilsener I would consider this beer. I would recommend it to people who like there Pilseners pretty hoppy. All in all I thought this beer was pretty solid, it may have not delivered exactly what I want from a Pilsener, but I still enjoyed it for what it is and I'm glad I gave it a try. Nice work guys, thanks for another solid beer.

StoutHunter, Jan 26, 2014

mpalestino, Aug 26, 2014

marcb105, Feb 27, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

Beerasaurus, Aug 15, 2014

thereal_adam, Aug 30, 2014

dfillius, Jun 07, 2014

16 ounce can into lager glass, no canning date. Pours fairly crystal clear bright golden amber color with a 1 finger dense white head with great retention that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a good amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of lemon zest, orange zest, pear, cracker, bread, pepper, light pine, floral, grass, herbal, and yeast earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance of hop, malt, yeast ester notes; with good strength. Taste of lemon zest, orange zest, pear, cracker, bread, pepper, pine, herbal, floral, grass, and yeast earthiness. Good amount of spicy pepper/pine bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of lemon zest, orange zest, pear, cracker, bread, pepper, pine, floral, grass, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance of malt, hop, and yeast ester flavors; with a very crisp malt/bitterness balance and minimal cloying bitterness after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, crisp, and moderately sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice Czech pilsner style! All around good balance of malt, hop, and yeast ester flavors; and extremely crisp and smooth to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

superspak, Mar 08, 2014