Norm's Gateway IPA - Griffin Claw Brewing Company

Beer added by: midlifec on 06-08-2014

Reviews by StoutHunter:
3.79/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a can of Griffin Claw's Norm's Gateway IPA last week for $1.29 at The Lager Mill. This beer was just recently released and since Griffin Claw seems to have some skills when it comes to IPA's I thought I would give this one a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date, but I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a 12oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks pretty nice, it's got a nice design to it and it think it's a little eye catching. It poured a pale yellow color that was just a little clear and it took on more of a golden color when held to the light with two fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart some pale malt, slightly grainy and some light sweet malts with a light amount of doughy yeast showing up in the back ground. The malts only show up for a second and they are quickly followed by a good amount of hops that impart a mixture of citrus, tropical fruit and spicy hops aromas with the spicy hops seem to show up just a little more than the fruity hops. This beer had a pretty nice aroma and I thought it was pretty true to style.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the malts which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with no single aspect sticking out the most. Up next comes the hops which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time there's a light berry like flavor thrown into the mix and the spicy hops still seem to stick out the most. On the finish there's a low amount of medium bitterness with a slight grainy malt, fruity and spicy hop like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting aroma, it was pretty similar to the aroma and I have no complaints.

M- Smooth, clean, crisp, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked nicely with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and I thought this was a nice example of a session IPA, it seemed to be pretty true to style and it had pretty much everything that a nice Session IPA should have, but it didn't have that extra tasty hop profile that some of the best of the style seem to have. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, clean, crisp, not filling at all and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think a couple of these would be a good amount of me and I think more than that and the hop profile might start to wear on me a little, but I think it makes for a nice beer to enjoy in the summer. What I like the most about this beer was the balance, it was nice to have a little bit of those malts show up in the taste and aroma. What I liked the least about this beer was that the fruity hops didn't show up a little more, I wish the fruity hops stuck out the most and that the spicy hops showed up in the background. I might buy this beer again, but with Founders All Day IPA readily available I don't think I will be picking it up often, but I wouldn't turn one down and it's priced nicely. I would recommend this beer to people who like session IPA's. All in all I was happy with this beer, but I can't say I was all that impressed, it was nice and at the very least that's what I expect from Griffin Claw, but it doesn't really seem to be a stand out in the style. This isn't my favorite beer from Griffin Claw or Session IPA, but it's not a bad beer by any means, I just prefer Founder's All Day IPA. Nice job guys, keep up the solid work. (3,783 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.85/5  rDev +0.8%

3.36/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A big thanks to the founding father of the canquest, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a cloudy golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of mild hops, pine. Taste is hops up front, malts at the finish, refreshing, very little bitterness. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent beer, but drinks much more like a pale ale than an IPA. (379 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -16.2%

3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

12 oz. can
Served in a snifter

It is straw colored with two inches of white head. Some lacing clings to the side of the glass.

It has a nice citrus aroma. I also get some tropical fruit.

It has nice citrus flavor. I even get a little pineapple.

Thin mouthfeel

This is either a good session IPA, or I may be finally embracing the style. I could also be biased. I like the brewery, and I like the idea of getting an eight pack for $8.99 and not being price gauged on a low abv IPA. (487 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

3.9/5  rDev +2.1%

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.27/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Norm's Gateway IPA from Griffin Claw Brewing Company