Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Red Rock Flanders Red - Griffin Claw Brewing Company

Red Rock Flanders Red
No picture.

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Griffin Claw Brewing Company visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: TheBrewo on 07-30-2013

4.51/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2014, 22 ounces, purple waxed bomber poured into a tulip. Pours a deep amber color, no head. Fantastic aroma, a nice spicy, cider-like aroma, filled with fruitiness. Taste is very good, a good amount of tartness and some obvious fruit notes. Not the best flanders red I've had but definitely holds it own.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

22 ounce bottle into tulip glass; 2015 vintage bottling, labeled at 6% ABV. Pours slightly hazy dark ruby red color with a 1-2 finger dense light khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty lacing clings around the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation retaining the cap. Aromas of tart cherry, raspberry, plum, green apple, red grape, red wine vinegar, caramel, toast, brown sugar, hay, straw, leather, musty funk, light pepper, and yeast earthiness. Damn nice aromas with good balance and complexity of fruity/funky/acidic yeast and dark/bready malt notes; with good strength. Taste of tart cherry, raspberry, plum, green apple, red grape, red wine vinegar, caramel, toast, brown sugar, hay, straw, leather, musty funk, light pepper, and yeast earthiness. Fair amount of fruity/tannic tartness and yeast spiciness on the finish; with lingering notes of cherry, raspberry, plum, green apple, red grape, vinegar, caramel, toast, brown sugar, hay, straw, leather, musty funk, light pepper, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Damn nice robustness and complexity of fruity/funky yeast and dark/bready malt flavors; with a great malt/yeast/tartness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, fairly crisp, and moderately acidic/bready mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is an excellent Flanders red ale. All around great complexity, robustness, and balance of fruity/funky/acidic yeast and dark/bready malt flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink with balanced acidity. A very enjoyable offering.

Short Review. This was a very nice Flanders Red, it's just what I expect from the style and I thought it had the right amount of sour without being overly acidic. I enjoyed it and I was happy to have the chance to try it. It would be great to see them distribute it, I wouldn't mind if they canned it, but I'm sure they would go the wax dipped bottle route.

EDIT. I picked up a bottle of Griffin Claw's Red Rock Flanders Red a few weeks ago for $12 at Griffin Claw Brewing Company. I tried this on tap and I really liked it so lets see how it is from the bottle. 2015 Vintage. Poured from a waxed 22oz bottle into a Teku.

A- The label is nice, it goes well with the name and it's just a little eye catching. It poured a murky brownish red color that takes on more of a red color when held to the light and it had just a small ring of bubbly off white head that died down to nothing and it didn't really leave any lacing behind. This is a nice looking beer, but I wish it had some head and retention.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with a nice mixed berry aroma being the first to show up and it's followed by a slight vinegar aroma that has just a slight medicinal aspect to it at the end. Up next comes some funky yeast aromas with some tartness. This beer has a good aroma and it's mostly what I would expect from the style.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with those mixed berry aspects being the first to show up and it's followed by just a slight vinegar aspect with that same medicinal aspect that I got in the aroma showing up. Up next comes some funky yeast flavors that lead into a pretty light amount of medium tartness that lingers into the aftertaste for just a seconded before it disappears with some fruity berry flavors. This is a good tasting beer, the taste is pretty close to what I expect from the style.

M- Smooth, slightly refreshing, not too crisp, not acidic, medium bodied with a low amount of carbonation. This mouthfeel is nice, but I wish it had a little more carbonation.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and I thought it was a nice example of the style and for it not being brewed in Belgium I thought it was pretty good, it had most of the aspects that I look for in the style. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, slightly refreshing, not too crisp, not acidic, not too filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think one glass is the perfect amount for me, but I wouldn't rule out drinking a full bottle. What I like the mot about this beer was that it wasn't acidic, that aspect was really kept in check. What I like the least about this beer was the medicinal aspect, if that wasn't there it would be pretty true to style. I would buy this beer again, but it isn't something I;ll be stocking up on and I have one for the cellar so it will be interesting to see how it ages. I would recommend trying this beer if your a fan of the style. All in all I was happy with this beer, it for sure isn't the most impressive Flanders Red I've had, but fro an American version of the style it's pretty good and I wish more American Breweries would give this style a shot. It's not my favorite beer from Griffin Claw, but it is one of the better ones, it's above average for the style and it's good for being brewed in America. Good job guys, this was a tasty Flanders Red that didn't have to travel from Europe to get here, keep it up.

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a really great tasting and very smooth Flanders style Red. It has a mild sour flavor, but in a really good way. The appearance is just beautiful. It is a rich red with a white light bubbly head. It is very clear also, a sign of what is to come. I had a nice smell, fruity and mild with lightly sour smell. The taste is very mild and smooth, but with great flavor. The sourness is very noticeable, but not overpowering. The mouth feel is excellent and the beer disappeared very quickly. Did I say it was smooth? This is one of my new favorites, as I am fast becoming a major fan of sours.

3.92/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This brew was served from the tap at the Griffin Claw Brewing Company taproom in Birmingham, Michigan. It arrived in a house goblet, showing a deep ruby tawny coloring. It held a half finger tall head of latte colored bubbles, showing okay retention. This left patterned lacing around the glass as it went, eventually settling into a film across the top of the liquid. A definite haze cut clarity, but no sediment was noted. Carbonation appeared to be light. The aroma gave notes of freshly pressed apple cider, fig, dark and sour cherry, red raspberry and peach iced teas, toffee, amber, and pale malt base, lemon rind, vinyl plastic bite, and distant rumbles of cooling but puckering Bretty yeastiness. Our first impression was that the flavoring was much more fruity than you might expect for the style, but without any of that inherent sweetness, and in a much more mild manner. As we sipped, the palate flooded with lemon zing, browned apples, funky Bretty yeast and wild bacterial bitterness, red and pale maltiness, dry red wine astringency, and walnut and pistachio oiliness. The middle came to a head with bittered vinyl plastics, orange pulp, fermented apricot wine, booze, cranberry and lemon tartness, soured brown malts, and continued Bretty yeast. The ending wash came with tinny metallics, fusel alcohols, soured red cherry, lemon zest, candied apples, dried pine cones, amber malt, gravel, and fresh vanilla. The aftertaste breathed of light citric hoppiness, soured vinegar, copper, alcohol, peppery booze, brown and amber maltiness, chalked yeast, soured Bretty juiciness, autumn leafiness, and acorn oils. The body was medium, and the carbonation was light to medium. Each sip gave nice slurp, smack, cream, and froth, with decent finishing pop. The mouth was slickly coated, with partial drying astringency and puck of the soured yeastiness. The abv was appropriate, and the beer glugged back easily.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this brew was its aroma. This showed boldness, with excellent sour yeastiness and bite, especially as it warmed. The flavoring showed more of the same, but was a bit light for the style and our taste buds alike. The malts, too, were on the darker and more bittered side, taking away from the style’s usual sweeter fruity inclusions, and making a more malt forward and dominant beverage. With this beer it seemed like they were trying to ease up on the overt sourness and fruitiness of the style, and instead make it more approachable for people who may not be familiar with such bold beers. While this certainly aids drinkability, it makes it slightly less exciting for those of us who want to be knocked off our seats with those unique flavors. That said, this was a tasty treat, and again, something highly approachable and drinkable for many.

Red Rock Flanders Red from Griffin Claw Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.