Griffin Claw Grind Line Pale Ale - Griffin Claw Brewing Company

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: chinchill on 08-09-2013

Reviews by Slay40:

3.52/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.33/5  rDev -6.7%

3.72/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz can, w/o freshness or canning date info

Pours hazed medium almond amber, typical off white thin film,collar and leaving splattered lacing, decent looking brew.

Pine hope nose, on semi muted side

Respectable APA, nice pine and citrus hop notes and the expected under coating of, yes, breads malts....nothing amazing or even special, but just another well crafted and quite worthy brews being made these days....hope everybody is enjoying the amazing craft beer culture we find ourselves Living in right now..

3.58/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Served on tap at The Raven’s Club in Ann Arbor.

This hop forward APA could pass as an IPA. Herbal hops dominate. Dark amber colored body with excellent clarity is topped by a fine head that leaves nice lacing. Rather light aroma but plenty of flavor. Moderately bitter by finish onwards.

3.54/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.5/5  rDev +26.1%

3.54/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +5%

3.75/5  rDev +5%

3.46/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

I picked up a can of Griffin Claw's Grind Line Pale Ale a couple days ago for $2.09 at The Lager Mill. I tried their IPA recently and I liked it so I thought I would try more of their beers, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date, but it just showed up so I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a tall 16oz pint can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks ok, it's a little weird with some slightly bloody teeth on it, but that makes it a little eye catching. It poured a fairly clear golden color that took took on more of an orange color when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some patchy lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking Pale Ale, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness that is bordering on being highly sweet and it's followed by the malts showing up first and impart a sweet malt, grainy, bready, light bread crust and light caramel malt like aromas. Up next comes some doughy yeast and a nice fruity aroma with strawberrys seeming to stick out the most, I think it's nice and it makes this beer a little unique. Towards the end comes the hops which impart a light earthy and herbal aroma with some citrus hop aroma seeming to stick out the most. This beer has a pretty good aroma, it's not overly hoppy for the style and the strawberry aroma makes it unique.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that has a sweet and creamy taste to it and it's followed by the hops showing up and imparting a higher amount of medium bitterness with all the hop aspects that I got in the aroma with neither one seeming to stick out the most. Up next a light fruity flavor that is a little strawberry like with some doughy yeast in the background and a pretty malty flavor shows up towards the end with some sweet malts, caramel malts, grainy, and bread like flavors coming through with a malty and slightly hoppy aftertaste. This was a nice tasting American Pale Ale, but I wish the hop profile was a little more like it was in the aroma.

M- Fairly smooth, clean, crisp, slightly creamy, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I thought it was just a little thick for the style.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and an above average example of an American Pale Ale, I liked that it was pretty true to style, but it had a couple aspects that made it stick out for the style a little and it made it a little memorable. This beer has ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, clean, crisp, a little filling and the taste did an decent job at holding my attention, but I think one pint would be enough for me since it's a little on the thick side for the style. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma and appearance, I thought they were both pretty good and they worked pretty well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the hop profile in the taste, it wasn't bad at all, but I wish it was more like the hop profile in the aroma. I might buy a pint or two of this again, but it's not something that I'm going to rush to the store and buy more of and I would recommend it to pretty much any American Pale Ale fan. All in all I liked this beer, it's for sure not my favorite of the style, but I think it's pretty solid and it wasn't a chore to drink it. Nice work Griffin Claw, I'll be trying the Red Ale shortly, keep up the good work.

4.25/5  rDev +19%