Boris (Le Flacon D'Alsace) - Brasserie de Saverne

Boris (Le Flacon D'Alsace)Boris (Le Flacon D'Alsace)

poor

poor

Brasserie de Saverne
France

Euro Pale Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-29-2004

This is the standard 5.5% Boris that comes in bottle and can; white label.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 87 | Reviews: 67

The hi-lite of this brew was its skunky aroma and it just went downhill after that.
The colour was a very thin light yellow. Short head leaving a nice glass ring. Carbonation is nice.
The body is very thin and lacking.
The taste is papery.
Mouthfeel mirrors the body.
Off to the sink I go....say goodbye to Boris.

1.3/5  rDev -49.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer sucks. I can't believe I still have five more bottles of this, which will probably be given away. Comes in a stubbie, green, 250mL bottle. Even in my small mug, it only comes up to a little over half, including head. Which was next to none. Maybe the width of a fingernail of foam. Pale yellow colour. No lace. Light skunk smell. Not much else. Am I detecting a malt profile, or is that my subconscious playing tricks on me? It's my subconscious playing tricks on me. Tastes bland. Not much of anything. Bit of a skunky flavour. No hop, no malt, not even any adjuncts. Bland, boring, nothing. Watery mouthfeel. Pretty much undrinkable swill. The best thing about this beer is the bullshit propaganda that is printed on the packaging and bottle.

2.04/5  rDev -20.9%

Label sports a little red guy running with a flag - lots of writing on the label about following only one's own flag - leaves one to puzzle about the marketing strategy going on here, is drinking this beer supposed to be some anti-establishment gesture?

Small green bottle. On pouring an instantaneous and powerful skunky aroma assaults the nose. Same for the initial flavor. I am able, with some effort, to pick out sweet malt and a surprising degree of hops drowned in the skunkyness. I expect some degree of this in a green bottle Euro-lager, but perhaps my sample was light-abused as the aroma is beyond an acceptable level. I think somewhere in there was a fairly good, clean lager.

3.35/5  rDev +29.8%

This has a standard pilsner appearance, with a thin white head. Nothing special so far. Smells like a german pils, which is probably a good thing, since it is a French beer. Tastes good. Somewhat less bitter than expected, and less so than most of the german beers of this style. Actually had a little sweetness to it, but not unpleasantly so. Had pretty decent body, and nice little bubbles. I would go back for another of these before having a Heini or something of that sort. All in all, pretty good.

3.47/5  rDev +34.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thin white lace head. The aroma is decent. It has a clean pale malt scent with a bit of green bottle skunkiness. It has a sort of sweet aroma to it. The taste is decent. The two French beers I've tried are very much alike. They are very pale and quite sweet. They have a dry clean finish, but the mouthfeel is different from a regular pilsner. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a good driking light beer. It has a bit of sweetness and a slight skunky aftertaste.

2.6/5  rDev +0.8%

Caught my eye at Whole Foods because it was on sale for $4.99/6pk. Upon further inspection, the bottles only hold 8.5 oz. Neat packaging, little red guy running around with a flag. Despite the communist visual themes, the label preaches something about individualism. Go figure. Pours a pale golden with a complete absence of a head. Nice, light, sweet flavor of adjunct malt with a hint of low-grade hops. Substantial body for a beer this light. Higher alcohol content comes through in the warming aftertaste. Not particularly bad. Reminds me of Henry's Blue Boar Ale (RIP).

2.21/5  rDev -14.3%

Wow, now I know why I don't usually buy French beer. This is not a very good beer at all. I figured I would try it though, cause it was cheap. The bottle was kinda cool, but reminded me of communisim or something. Basically, this beer was just like Heinekin or most other netherlands green bottled skunky beers, but a little lighter on the skunk.

3.31/5  rDev +28.3%

The beer poured crystal clear medium golden. The head was white and fell back quickly, but laced the glass.

The aroma was earthy with a slightly fruity aroma. Some alcohol was present in the aroma.

The flavor was crisp but bland with a slight fruitiness. Not much going on. A little malt, but no real hop flavor, only a bit of bitterness.

The finish was dry and every so slightly bitter. The body was medium to medium light.

8.5 ounce green twist off single bottle. Says ALE on the label.

3.15/5  rDev +22.1%

It is a clear, light gold with a thin fluffy head. The aroma has some delicate floral hop notes. It does not smell half bad, but it is just an average beer. It is slight grainy with a thin body and a clean finish. There is a little bitterness in the finish, but it definitely should have some more.

2.58/5  rDev 0%

As soon as I popped the cap, a serious whiff of eurochic skunk hit my nose from the generically gold colored brew with a small white head. I cringed as I took the first sip, but it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated.

This is pretty much a straight pale lager (despite the fact that the label says "Ale"). Nothing special at all--soft maltiness, a not-quite-bitter twang. Nothing that makes this stand out from about a thousand other pale lagers.

Cool bottle, but it won't fool me again.

2.06/5  rDev -20.2%

Well folks, what we have here is a beer with an agenda. The focus is Generation X'ers. So this beer is supposed to be edgy and different, revolutionary and value based. It's got "now" graphics, is sold in a unique six-pack and comes in distinctive, small 250ml green bottles. It's just jumps up and down screams "I'm different".

This is one of those projects where all the effort has gone into the marketing with precious little thought for what's actually in the bottle – which, for the record, is just some Euro pap.

So kiddies, run away, you really don't want to play with this.

And for the brewers, get in the game. Beer's been around forever. Learn the art and show some respect for your elders.

Feh.

2.23/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours clear yellow, very carbonated with almost no head. Very mild grassy/grainy malt aroma. Taste is actually more pilsnerish than I expected after smelling. Rather crisp. Sweet herbal malt quickly followed by a short dry and bitter finish. I paid it 99 cents, so I'm not particularly regretful. Boring european lager...

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Boris (Le Flacon D'Alsace) from Brasserie de Saverne