AC/DC - Brasserie de Saverne

Beer added by: Barraclou on 05-19-2013

Ratings: 32 | Reviews: 10
Reviews by cfalovo97:
3.24/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

500ml can. Sort of strange that a classic Aussie hard rock band (or more likely, their handlers) chose a French brewer of standard schlock to make their branded beer. Oh well, somebody had to do it, and I am now more concerned with my AC/DC playlist to play along with it. And what, there isn't a lightning bolt symbol on French Canadian keyboards? ;-)

This beer pours a crystal clear, very pale golden straw colour, with two fret fingers of tightly foamy, somewhat bubbly white head, which leaves some nice rocky webbed lace around the glass as it sinks into that not so pink deep.

It smells of biscuity, bready pale malt, equal part barley and corn grist, a bit of applesauce, some faint generic citrus rind, and herbal, leafy, mostly weedy hops. The taste is a bit of unpleasant amp feedback - the malt goes all post-show arena floor on me - stale, grainy malt, of various dubious origins - some middling, underwhelming drupe fruitiness, and weak dead earthy, hardly toke-worthy leafy hops.

The carbonation is quite reserved, almost to the point of invisibility, the body medium-light in weight, and smooth in that everyman, you can do it, only if you have heart and work your ass off, sort of way. Or something. Anyways, it finishes off-dry, the musty malt and misbegotten hops having duly lost their way.

A standard, underwhelming Euro pale lager, nothing overtly offensive, but nothing at all impressive, either. The branding is where it's at, obviously, so I will say, that should I be presented with an interminable opening act before seeing the titular band, I would have no problem bombing a number of these, in ironic deference, sure, but mostly because I would be somewhere that BMC didn't reign completely on my beer choices.

2.2/5  rDev -21.1%

Yes I paid good money for this out of morbid curiosity. Anyways...

Appearance. Pours a clear pale gold with half a finger of white head. Not all that "rock 'n roll".

Smell. Light yeast, pale sweet malts and just a touch of spicy hops.

Taste. Oh man, I'm on a highway to beer hell. Sweet light malts and bready yeast with a touch of grassy hops. This will not shake me all night long. This is indeed a dirty deed, done dirt cheap. They didn't exactly shoot to thrill here. Okay, I'll stop.

Mouthfeel. Lighter body, medium+ carbonation.

Overall. You suck, ac/dc beer!!

3.07/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

The beer color is blond/yellow. Clear. Cloudy looking foam head that disappear quite fast. The aroma is malty with some cereal and corn... Average. Taste wise it's better but it doesn't offer a lot. Timid. Watery. Thin. Medium effervescent. Not great. Average beer that replace water... Nothing less, nothing more.

3.55/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Brasserie de Saverne 'AC/DC' @ 5.0% , served from a 500 ml can purchased for $2.50

A-pour is a pale gold from can to glass with a small off white head that is leaving a minimal lace ring along the stein

S-very mild smelling beer , earthy grassy

T-mellow lager , no crispness in the taste

MF-mild carbonation , weak medium body

Ov-ok beer for $2.50 a can (and that's cause of Angus)

prost LampertLand

2.87/5  rDev +2.9%

500 mL can picked up at TBS; best before Nov. 2014 and served ice cold. This one smells like an obvious cash-in attempt, but to be fair I have had a decent beer from this brewery before, so I'm not inclined to write this off as swill just yet.

Pours a pale, golden-yellow colour, topped with a half-inch of soapy, short-lived white head. A foamy collar is the only remnant, with essentially no lace left behind. Typical Euro lager aroma with no real surprises - grainy and sweet, with a light touch of wet hay and grass. Some apple juice-like acidity is also detectable. Yep, it's a standard pale lager alright.

This isn't a terrible beer, but it's definitely not a particularly good one, either. Not as clean as many of the Euro lagers I've tried (including this brewery's Boris Organic), with more of a sweet corn presence than I'd like. Otherwise, the flavour is quite non-descript - grainy, with some apple juice concentrate and a faint brushing of grassy hops in the finish. Thin-bodied and rather watery, with high carbonation that gives this one a fizzy mouthfeel. Drink this one ice cold and quickly, because the apple vibes become increasingly distracting as it warms.

Final Grade: 2.87, a C. Like the band itself, I have no strong feelings either way toward AC/DC beer. I'm not going to be climbing over people for another can, but at the same time I'd have no problem knocking back another if it were handed to me. There are plenty of other Euro lagers I'd pick before this one, but then again as a Pink Floyd fan I'm probably not the target demographic for this stuff.

2.58/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This European pilsner was just about what I expected from the actual liquid. It had a pale colour with a slight hop nose. The flavour didn't really stand out from any other generic pilsner/lager you'd find in a cheap bar anywhere in the world.

An australian hardrock beer... brewed in France. Named for the well known band AC/DC, I enjoy their music, but not really their beer. Brewed and packed in cans by Brasserie Licorne SAS, 60 rue Dettwiller (same address as Brasserie de Saverne), the beer is comparable to their others products (e.g. Boris): cheap product done dirt cheap. (pun intended). After reading this, I didn't have much expectations, but I am not sure if I can say that it made the grade. It is like water, lots of hops and alcohol burn. Without the label details, I would say that's an euro strong lager with alcohol pourcentage. The best part is probably the can design and its cheap price, even I won't mind pay a little more for something else better.

3.08/5  rDev +10.4%

500ml can poured into pint glass 26/9/13

A clear golden yellow with plenty of bubbles feeding a long lasting finger of foam that leaves plenty of lace on the way down

S sweet malts, cardboard, faint dried grass, some canned corn, not much going on, smells like a macro

T more of the same really with a little grape candy, nothing special but nothing offensive

M light bodied, not quite watery, airy carbonation, lingering grass and paper

O another basic lager, not much going on but drinkable

boring but I only bought it for the can anyways the liquid inside was just filler

3.09/5  rDev +10.8%

cool can and cool actually a drinkable euro lager ( this could be a even more terrible beer if came from an Australian brewer or someone like Minhas) . The beer tastes like a slightly better version of Heineken which is not saying much but it is drinkable and worth buying if you are an ACDC fan. Won't buy again but better than I expected

2.13/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

I had this beer last Friday. I'll keep it short and simple. I had reason to drink this beer is because someone bought me one with theirs. I don't go for branded products, and this beer is a great reason why.

We both tried to like it, honestly, we did. It ended up in the sink. My friend's wife offered to drink it because it seemed such a waste to throw it down the drain. Alas, after one sip, it ended there.

[TASTING NOTES]

Appearance - It looked like any regular beer on tap, like a Coors or a bud light. Pale yellow, effervescent, with a head that dissipated shortly after the pour.

Smell - Smelled faintly of yeast, fruity, wheat.

Taste - It tasted like someone watered down a beer we would get at the local pizzeria.

Mouthfeel - Thin. Carbonation was okay, but then again so is club soda or de-acoholized beer.

Overall Score - 2.5/5 - The only thing that would set this beer apart from some other cheap canned beer is the branding. I guess if you wanted to support the band from beer sales, this would be the way to go. I'd prefer to see them in concert, while imbibing the swill they serve there. Perhaps this is how they came to the flavor of this beer?

I would expect a beer from the baddest rock band out there to pack a hefty punch, not a whimper.

Serve with: If i would serve this beer at a party it would be with finger/pub food like potato skins, wings so hot that you'd need anything to wash them down, or even fried items.

AC/DC from Brasserie de Saverne