Vuuve - Brouwerij Smisje

VuuveVuuve

good

Brouwerij Smisje visit their website

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 02-08-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Vuuve Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -58.4%

Live review. Poured from a short stubby Belgian style bottle much like the one pictured here into my Hennepin silver rimmed glass. Purchased at Lena's Beverage in Painesville a few days ago for $2.47. No observed "best by" or "freshness" date observed by me.

A First, visible sediment in the bottom of the bottle. Well, that sediment went right into my glass and it floats around in the bottom of said glass now. The head is brief, off white and within a minute it is a trace ring around the top of the liquid. Body, in addition to the visible sediment, is a kind of glowing yellow/brown and is translucent.

S Not good. I don't know how old this bottle is and the ABV and the style probably do not lend itself to a great amount of time to be cellared before it goes bad. When I opened it there was a nice release of pressure so I will assume that it is not completely skunked or oxidized or whatever bad things happen to beer over time. The smell is a grainy, spoiled type smell that reminds me pretty much of the smell of a vitamin pill (the type that you try to swallow quickly so as to avoid smelling it again). The smell was stronger at first but now it has dissipated a bit. Label says: "60 per cent barley malt, 40 per cent wheat malt, hops, coriander and fresh organic orange peel." Perhaps some of the off putting smell is the orange peel because I cannot imagine the other ingredients smelling like this.

T Oh no...the taste follows closely with the smell...this is not good. It calls to mind what rotten orange peels might taste like...the kind that you might find in the bottom of a trash can...There is maybe a malt background and I taste no hops but dominating are the gross orange peels.

M Moderate with putrid taste.

D I cannot finish this beer.

Notes: Perhaps I should look for this again when I have reason to believe that it is fresh? I dunno though, the release of pressure when I opened the cap suggests that it might have been o.k. and as intended. I will keep this review here for now and update as necessary.

1.75/5  rDev -51.5%

1.83/5  rDev -49.3%

Not all beer from Belgium is worth writing about, but I thought this beer would average out my Belgian ratings. IOW, lower my average.

Pours a cloudy orange in color with no head (average at best). Tastes too sour. I cannot find much to like. A possible wheatiness to the beer, but doin't hold me to that. Has a very short-liived sweetness followed by too much sourness.

I cannor drink anymore. Not a good beer,

1.94/5  rDev -46.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.5

I picked up a bottle of Brouwerij Smisje's Vuuve a couple weeks ago for $3.49 at The Beer Depot. The Beer Depot had a pretty nice selection of Belgian beers and I decided to take a chance on this one, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a Belgian style 11.2oz brown bottle into a Belgian tulip.

A- The label loos pretty nice, It caught my attention for obvious reasons and I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a pretty cloudy yellow color that took on more of a golden hue whne held to the light with a slight but of very bubbly head that almost instantly faded to nothing and it left no lacing at all behind. This wasn't a great looking beer, the color was nice, but there wasn't any head or lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a sour aroma being the first to show up and it's followed by some funky yeast and wet straw like aromas. Up next comes some pretty noticeable spices with coriander seeming to stick out the most and it mixes with a vinegar aroma to make for an odd combination. Towards the end comes a pretty fruity aroma with apples and pears seeming to stick out the most and there's also a little more funk in the background. The aroma is ok, but to me it smells a lot more like an American Wild Ale or a funky farmhouse Saison than a Witbier.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of sweetness and it's followed by a medium amount of sourness being the first to show up and it's backed up by some funky yeast and wet straw flavors, but there's also a flavor that reminds me of dirty socks and mixes in the with fruits that have a old apple like taste to them. On the the finish there's a vinegar like flavor with a funky and rotten fruit aftertaste, This is a pretty bad tasting beer, there's something wrong with it.

M- Not smooth, fairly crisp, a little fizzy, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but it wasn't smooth at all.

Overall I didn't like this beer and it wasn't even recognizable as Witbier, it reminded me more of a wild ale gone very wrong and I know there has to be something wrong with it. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it wasn't that smooth, it wasn't filling, but the taste made me cringe a little and a couple sips is enough for me, this one is getting drain poured. What I liked the most was the aroma, it wasn't great, but it was the best aspect of this beer. What I like the least about this beer was the taste, it was very bad. I would get this beer again if I knew it was fresh, but I wouldn't recommend it. All in all I was let down with this one, at first I wasn't going to review it, but there is no date at all on this beer, so there's no way for me to know if it's fresh or not so I'm holding it against the brewery, just having the year that it was brewed in would help a lot. This one got drained poured after a few sips, better luck next time guys, please date your bottles.

2.03/5  rDev -43.8%

11.2oz bottle poured into a tulip.

(A)- Pours an orange colored hue. An effervescent-like white froth produced.

(S)- A mildly funky straw and biscuit-like yeast. Bits of sawdust and lemon.

(T)- Very earthy and bitter. Mildly metallic. Funky and heavy yeast components.

(M)- Very high carbonation level. Very thin and funky/metallic body. This gone south?

(D)- Not sure if this has gone south or what, but definitely not what I was expecting. No clue on its bottled date either.

2.05/5  rDev -43.2%

Appearance is a cloudy orange with no head. I pulled my pour back about six inches to encourage any sort of head and nothing. (This would have been a huge mess all over the bar with most other beers) Little bits of clear bubbles almost like flat champagne.

Smell is unique with bits of honey, orange and corriander. There was also quite a bit of vinegary sourness.

Taste was a bit sour and full of orange flavor. Almost like spoiled orange juice as many other reviewers noted. Did I get a dated bottle?

Mouthfeel was very thin with puckering tartness. There was more carbonation than I expected since there was no head to speak of.

I'd skip this one unless you were absolutely sure it was fresh.

2.15/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Purchased a bottle at Julio's Liquors in Westborough, MA.

A: Quarter inch thick flat (not rocky) white head with good retention. Straw gold hue. Slightly hazy.

S: Lemon zest and coriander lead. There also seems to be a bit of Belgian funk from the yeast but I don't find it out of character or not mixing with the rest of aroma. Some tropical fruits also are detectable in a less significant role. Wheaty malt base.

T: Wow, an awful taste. Flat, no wit character. Nothing promising from the nose comes up in the taste.

MF: Dry. Medium body with moderate carbonation.

D, notes: No drinkability here - I dumped it before I finished the bottle.

2.23/5  rDev -38.2%

Bottle: Poured a light orangey color ale with a small bubbly head with limited retention. Aroma of weird spices is not the most enticing. Taste is different from your average wit but not necessarily for the best; there is way too much orange peel with limited coriander which contributed to the misbalance character of this beer. Body is slightly oily and not full at all. Weird take on a style that doesn’t provide much error margin to begin with.

2.3/5  rDev -36.3%

Wow, not what I expected!

A - Copper pour with huge, fluffy head.

S - Ew... Fruit and corriander, but the fruit smells like it's gone bad.

T - Yeah, it tastes like it smells. Funky and not in a great way. Interesting maltiness but overpowered by the rancid orange taste

M - Good in this regard, liked the carbonation for the style.

D - Ouch. Barely finished it.

I can't say I dug this....

2.33/5  rDev -35.5%

It sounded interesting so I figured I'd give it a try. Pours a dirty yellow color with a quick fading white head. Aroma wasn't bad; oranges, yeast and some lemons. The mouthfeel on this is very carbonated and like seltzer. Overall pretty thin. The flavor is pretty weak as well with some orange coriander, lemon, some spice and maybe mango and overall wheaty and acidic. Tastes like a combination of fruit juice and seltzer water. Which isn't good... I'll give the Belgians a mulligan on this one.

2.35/5  rDev -34.9%

Pours a golden yellow. No head, yet there are tiny occasional bubbles. Unpleasant brown yeast is caked around the neck of the bottle. Clumps of yeast-like matter float on the rim of the glass.

Odor of band-aids. Yeast is added, making for a sickly yellow-brown color. Smells like cream left out overnight, orange peel, and coriander.

Taste is sour, astringent, and watery. Second sip is like expired orange juice. Can't help but think the two bottles I bought on separate occasions were spoiled somehow, but they were identical in every way.

Sadly this was a drain-pour...
Disclaimer: I love sour ales and Lambics, but this was clearly not an intentionally sour ale (multiple infected bottles), therefore the low marks.

2.35/5  rDev -34.9%

Poured a straw color with minimal head and lacing. Nose was full of fruit and a touch of alcohol. Predominantly orange shined through, not overly complex in the nose and not completely appealing based on looks. On to taste...

This is a wit? Really? While some Wit's are lacking in a ton of complexity, this one really falls short. Yeasty and fruity, but not much else. It has some nice citrus but it has an overly light mouthfeel and lack of complexity in flavor. Very disappointing overall. Drinkable, but uninspiring.

2.38/5  rDev -34.1%

Pours a murky golden orange color with a very small head that quickly disappears. The aroma is fruity with notable orange peel and coriander. The taste is tart with some citrus with a hint of spices. The mouthfeel is overly thin and watery. Not a big fan of this brew. The taste I find to be very unpleasant and I even thought that this was a bad bottle at first, but judging by other reviews with similar characteristics, it seems that is the way the beer is. Not recommended.

2.38/5  rDev -34.1%

Vuuve: in a stubby brown bottle. A Belgian white beer brewed with spices. Dirty, cloudy orange beer, with very little head. Nice orange aroma. Wow, not a very good beer at all, think spoiled orange juice. The coriander spice is present, but the taste is dominated by the sourness, like rank citrus fruits. After my palate gets used to it, I can avoid throwing it out, but only just. Pass it by.

2.5/5  rDev -30.7%

2.53/5  rDev -29.9%

clean blonde with minor activity. sticky yet shorter white head. pretty banners of lace. the head eventually nearly abandons the volume.
umbelliferous vegetable scents along with old grain, wheat, orange oil and herbal mustiness. hint of pear and honey. very diffrent from any other beer i have smelled.
orange extract and sweet veggies are not very plesant to my palate on this start. gets a bit tart with a strong spice and herbal lingering with the sweet vegetable and citric oils of lemon and orange (curacao) remaining forever and cloying.
near dead carbonation, next to no effervescance. watery and powdery body.
stiring up the bottom of the bottle seemed to serve this beer better but i just did not like it either way. it seemed as though they put all these spice, herbal and fruit notes on top of nothing and it was way out of balance in my opinion. also i should note that i drank about two thirds[22cl] of this and tasted it on my palate well into the next day. gross.

2.68/5  rDev -25.8%

Poured from a 11.2oz bottle into a shaker. This beer poured a cloudy, golden color with a tiny, fizzy white head that quickly faded away. The aroma consisted of doughy yeast, orange, and coriander. The flavor was made up light citrus notes and some spicy yeast esthers. The mouthfeel was light-bodied with quite a bit of fizzy carbonation. This was not one of the better witbier’s that I have tried.

2.68/5  rDev -25.8%

Poured a bottle of this into a snifter.

A: Pours a cloudy, amber body with with a light, small white head with no retention and minimal lacing.

S: Smells fairly sweet with some musty undertones.

T: Tastes a little sour and bitter. Definitely was not what I was expecting. I was expecting something a little bit sweeter. A bit of a earthy, musty aftertaste as well.

M: A little light on the mouthfeel, but still pretty smooth. Fairly decent.

D: I cannot say that this one was too drinkable. It was ok, but it seemed a little to bitter or sour for me. I am very surprised to see this one classified as a Wit.

As A side note, I bought this beer from a very reputable place. There did not seem to be any dust on the bottle when I bought (as it was a more expensive one, I made sure the quality seemed decent), so my assumption would be that it was still good.

Maybe this one serves as more of a reason that some kind of expiration of birth date should be stamped on beers.

2.73/5  rDev -24.4%

Orange, quite hazy, and quite carbonated. White foam, average compactness.
At the smell coriander, pepper and orange peel quite strong. A hint of grainy.
In the taste too the spices are quite strong, with coriander and pepper. And again some grainy. Citric, and a hint of white peach. After some while, the fruity notes are perceptible in the smell too.
In the style, even if a bit more fruity.
In the aftertaste spices again and fruitiness (orange). Right body for the style.

2.88/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Labeled as a witbeer.

A: Pours a bright golden-orange color.

S: Aroma is lemon pledge furniture cleaner with strong hints of ammonia.

T: On the nose was a huge orange peel scent with an highly acidic flavor, citrusy hopping with some medicinalnotes. The initial flavor yielded some sour orange peel and strong ammonia and medicinal flavors similar to that of a bathroom cleaner. 40% wheat palate only highlights the medicinal flavors in this beer. There was some lemon citrus grind in the finish but otherwise lacks spicing typical per style.

M: typical regenboog, light, fizzy with a touch of sourness. Limited drinkability.

D: It was the pungent ammonia aroma and flavor that really turned me off to this beer.

2.88/5  rDev -20.2%

Appearance: straw color, hazy, absolutely no head, almost looks flat

Aroma: orange rind, grainy malts, light hops, floral perfume, pine floor-cleaner

Flavor: grapefruit juice mixed wtih a light ale, slightly sweet, coriander(?), finishes tangy and dryish with an aftertaste of fruit juice and soap

Mouthfeel: light body, low carbonation, acidic

Other comments: Weird! I guess this is the Belgian answer to the infamous "mixed beers" in Germany. Not horrible, but would be better if it had more carbonation. After reading the ingredients, I can see that there is no grapefruit juice mixed in it. So, I guess it's really just a heavily spiced "wit".

2.88/5  rDev -20.2%

Very cloudy straw yellow. Very large head that dissapates very quickly to single layer of tight bubbles. Very little lace--but it is sticky.

Soapy and crisp in aroma, the wheat is the main smell. Yeast is the next strongest. There's also a hint of orange rind and corriander.

Lemon is the first taste up front. Surprisingly thin body. Very sour, the aftertaste is largely citric acid. I think it's too much, it's distracting.

If I was envisioning a dry malt lemonade, this would be it.

2.9/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a golden color, with a cloudy appearance. The head was almost nonexistent. Some lacing, though.

The smell was fruity, with traces of spices and yeast. Not overwhelming, but decent.

Had an citrusy flavor with some coriander and yeast, but mainly it was really thin. Not especially complex either.

The carbonation was a little below par here. There was a smooth finish, giving this an uneven mouthfeel.

On the whole, this was not a great beer. It was a little thin and watery for my taste. I know witbiers are supposed to be a little lighter in character than others, but I think they took that a little to literally with the Vuuve.

2.95/5  rDev -18.3%

Poured an opaque orange-pink butterscotch color with little carbonation and absolutely no head or lacing. The aroma was oranges and caramel, spices(possible clove?) wheat and vanilla. However, the taste was disappointing. It was sour first and foremost, with orange, mild peach, some citrus. It was mostly bitter and sour. The mouthfeel also affirs this: bitter, flat, watery. I'm going to go out on a limb and say I got a bad bottle. Every other review talks about great carbonation, when my bottle had virtually none. If it had, this would have been a much better brew.

2.98/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours a cloudy, medium brown. A big, fizzy head forms that drops like a soda and sounds like one as well.
Smell is spices, citrus and malt sweetness.
Taste is a slight sour note, malt and citrus.
A little watery with a lightish body. Slight warming. Good enough but just a middle of the road brew. Very unusual in my experience for a Belgian.

Vuuve from Brouwerij Smisje