Vuuve - Brouwerij Smisje

good

Brouwerij Smisje visit their website

Witbier |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 02-08-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Vuuve Alström Bros
3.63/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A great looking brew with a 2 finger head of foam sitting on a slightly hazy golden liquid.

Spicy as heck with big coriander, cloves, wheat and orange.

The taste is a tad milder than the smell. More of a balance between the spices and the orange fruit. Still, it's testing my palate.

Nice mouth feel for the style.

This bursts with flavour but it isn't something that I'd seek out again. (395 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a quite hazy carmel amber with a three finger white head with an easy pour. Retention is good and the head leaves a lot of pillowy lacing. Aroma of orange family citrus, coriander, saison style yeast, slightly estery with mild mineral. Flavor is citrus dominated, with old orange juice, lemons, mild wheat, coriander; finishes with grapefruit rind Belgian spicing, hints of hop bitterness, tart, slightly vinegary and semi dry. Light to medium bodied with peppery active carbonation. An odd but interesting take on a witbier, rather tart and citrus-acidic. The profile seems somewhat like a cross betrween a tart Belgian pale style and a witbier, with the witbier not quite asserting it's flavor. An interesting ale to try but a bit too tart and citrus forward to be a repeater for me. (825 characters)

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.5

I picked up a bottle of Brouwerij Smisje's Vuuve a couple weeks ago for $3.49 at The Beer Depot. The Beer Depot had a pretty nice selection of Belgian beers and I decided to take a chance on this one, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a Belgian style 11.2oz brown bottle into a Belgian tulip.

A- The label loos pretty nice, It caught my attention for obvious reasons and I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a pretty cloudy yellow color that took on more of a golden hue whne held to the light with a slight but of very bubbly head that almost instantly faded to nothing and it left no lacing at all behind. This wasn't a great looking beer, the color was nice, but there wasn't any head or lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a sour aroma being the first to show up and it's followed by some funky yeast and wet straw like aromas. Up next comes some pretty noticeable spices with coriander seeming to stick out the most and it mixes with a vinegar aroma to make for an odd combination. Towards the end comes a pretty fruity aroma with apples and pears seeming to stick out the most and there's also a little more funk in the background. The aroma is ok, but to me it smells a lot more like an American Wild Ale or a funky farmhouse Saison than a Witbier.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of sweetness and it's followed by a medium amount of sourness being the first to show up and it's backed up by some funky yeast and wet straw flavors, but there's also a flavor that reminds me of dirty socks and mixes in the with fruits that have a old apple like taste to them. On the the finish there's a vinegar like flavor with a funky and rotten fruit aftertaste, This is a pretty bad tasting beer, there's something wrong with it.

M- Not smooth, fairly crisp, a little fizzy, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but it wasn't smooth at all.

Overall I didn't like this beer and it wasn't even recognizable as Witbier, it reminded me more of a wild ale gone very wrong and I know there has to be something wrong with it. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it wasn't that smooth, it wasn't filling, but the taste made me cringe a little and a couple sips is enough for me, this one is getting drain poured. What I liked the most was the aroma, it wasn't great, but it was the best aspect of this beer. What I like the least about this beer was the taste, it was very bad. I would get this beer again if I knew it was fresh, but I wouldn't recommend it. All in all I was let down with this one, at first I wasn't going to review it, but there is no date at all on this beer, so there's no way for me to know if it's fresh or not so I'm holding it against the brewery, just having the year that it was brewed in would help a lot. This one got drained poured after a few sips, better luck next time guys, please date your bottles. (3,029 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +20.8%

Appearance: It pours a clear golden color with a very dense bright white head on top.

Aroma: Lots of spice in the front clove, corriender and a wisp of allspice. Dried fruits, and a twinge of dryness in the nose.

Taste: Floral hop, clove, allspice, dried apricot, light citrus fruit. Crisp mouthfeel but not to crisp and a pleasant dry finish.

Notes: What a solid Witber top to bottom the light dry finish gives it a good touch. Cheers. (439 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -41%

11.2oz bottle poured into a tulip.

(A)- Pours an orange colored hue. An effervescent-like white froth produced.

(S)- A mildly funky straw and biscuit-like yeast. Bits of sawdust and lemon.

(T)- Very earthy and bitter. Mildly metallic. Funky and heavy yeast components.

(M)- Very high carbonation level. Very thin and funky/metallic body. This gone south?

(D)- Not sure if this has gone south or what, but definitely not what I was expecting. No clue on its bottled date either. (482 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -0.3%

A: Pours a cloudy gold with a lingering puff of white mousse. Standard issue for this style really.

S: Aromas of citrus, coriander, and lightly buttered wheat toast on the nose. Again, nothing out of the ordinary.

T: Robust notes of coriander, orange peel, vanilla, heavy cream, wheat, and grassy, spicy hops. Finishes smooth with a pleasant combination of wheat, cream, and coriander flavors.

M: Transitions from light to medium bodied. There is a not entirely unpleasant graininess here. Feels like a Belgian witbier should.

O: I like this one. The sudden wallop of flavor after the mildness of the initial aromas was unexpected. Furthermore, the mellow, smooth finish was great. I would have no problem recommending this beer to fans of the style. (754 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +24.2%

This is really a nice Wit. Poured from a short stubby bottle into my Busch Gardens Bud Select flute. Nice big delicate white head with good retention. Slightly hazy gold color. Lacing is good with a full coverage of rings around the narrow glass.

Smell is top shelf. Heavy duty Belgian yeast..almost as pronounced as a Tripel. Spices: coriander and orange peel, and some wheat bitterness.

Taste is similar to smell. Belgian yeast is a big player but there is lightness from the more traditional Witbier flavors. This is one of the strongest, most flavorful Witbiers I have had.

Mouthfeel is good. Richer than some, good carbination Very refreshng.

This is an impressive Witbier...I would definitely seek this out again. (723 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -7%

33cl into a tulip. Pours a hazy butterscotch yellow, an aggressive pour failed to incite a head although it is not flat. Minimal lacing.

Aroma is not of a witbier, more of a spicy pale ale. Floral, spicy and sweet.

Taste surprises with the strength of a decent tangy tart citrus note. The floral signature of a witbier is strong as well. The aftertaste which is long lasting begins slightly dry and bitter. Thin sharp mouthfeel. A metallic taste begins to appear as it warms.
cheers
jd (487 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +32.6%

A- slightly cloudy with an amber hue.

S- Aroma is of carmel and light citrus.

T- First taste is slightly bitter but mellows quickly and is replaced with orange and apple taste. Taste only slightly lingers.

M- Perfect mouthfeel, doesn't weight to heavy and nicely carbonated.

Overall - One of the best whites I have ever had.This beer is a little pricey but worth every penny. Wits are one of my favortie styles of beers, because every different brand can be different. (475 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +15.2%

Timtim's opening sentence caused me to scroll down the other reviews. I had bought this on my last European trip in December 2001/January 2002 while taking my late Pops' ashes to France to be scattered in Paris. I put a lot of it in my reefer and have been sitting on it since and I have recently been motivated to break some of these ten-year old bottles out and guuve, I mean give, them a whirl. Here goes!

I agitated the bottle since as a Wit, it should huuve (have) its yeast in suspension, as opposed to having fallen out over time. It was, indeed, fizzy as all get out and only quick action with the glass prevented more loss than I experienced. Color was a cloudy light-brown, like raw apple cider, if that means anything to you. Nose was muted, but still very yeasty and musty, like something left in an attic (or in a basement, albeit in a reefer). Mouthfeel was full, very carbonated even after all this time and it was quite lemony/citrusy in the mouth. This would be a fine beer on a hot summer's day. Finish was crisp, clean and refreshing. Man, I could definitely drink this on a hot day in mid-July, plus the yeast does wonders for my digestive system. (1,168 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

previous reviews if this beer really scared me. must be improper handling because this is a fine example of traditional wit to me. hazy glowing orange with a massive white head that holds well and leaves very pretty lace. nose is orange peel, wheat, fruity bubblegumminess, spice (corriander and pepper?) and just the faintest hint of mustiness (like country cellar musty). actually, as it warms, the spiciness really comes out, and although you can tell that some of it comes from the yeast, fresh ground, oily corriander is really prominent. maybe this is what some of the other reviewers are picking up on and getting turned off by. i use it in cooking all the time, so it is a very pleasant smell to me. taste is a well integrated mix of the above. very bright taste that i am assuming is partially due to the high level of tiny-bubbled carbonation that lend a very dry and slightly prickly finish that says orange peel and corriander for days. soft and light-medium bodied. this is a very refreshing beer that definitely has one foot in tradition as well as having it's own personality, which i think is kind of hard to do witbier-wise. i would gladly drink another one of these. cheers! (1,192 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured foamy but that might have been my own fault. It smells great and the massive amounts of foam die down quickly to a nice head. Coriander and orange peel not overpowering, it has a nice dry finish. Towards the end of the glass gets a little harder to drink. A good beer but nothing to write home about. (307 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -16.6%

Pours a cloudy, medium brown. A big, fizzy head forms that drops like a soda and sounds like one as well.
Smell is spices, citrus and malt sweetness.
Taste is a slight sour note, malt and citrus.
A little watery with a lightish body. Slight warming. Good enough but just a middle of the road brew. Very unusual in my experience for a Belgian. (342 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +16%

Pours a slightly cloudy gold with a rich, bulbous head that settles to a one-finger layer of foam, leaving loads of lacing.

Spicy aromas of ginger, orange, pepper, brown sugar.

Tastes of malt and oranges and coriander. Clean taste, not complicated. However, at times I thought I detected a spoiled milk flavor, but I think that is a reaction to the orange flavor in the beer, which is unexpected.

The carbonation is amazingly prickly and cleansing, with Alka-Seltzer scrubbing intensity.

I think it is a good high acid beer for a summer day, low in alcohol. I drank it at cellar temperature, but it is probably good at colder temperatures. It presents a different interpretation of a Witbier, and I enjoy the diversity. (727 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -34.6%

Wow, not what I expected!

A - Copper pour with huge, fluffy head.

S - Ew... Fruit and corriander, but the fruit smells like it's gone bad.

T - Yeah, it tastes like it smells. Funky and not in a great way. Interesting maltiness but overpowered by the rancid orange taste

M - Good in this regard, liked the carbonation for the style.

D - Ouch. Barely finished it.

I can't say I dug this.... (395 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

bottle into la fin tulip. the mouth of the bottle is severely caked with yeast that does not come off in pouring.

I needed to do a pretty hard pour to get a full fingers worth of quickly dissipating foam. the body is yellow with a touch of brown making an ochre of some sort. the nose is pretty weak. there is a light citrus flavour, leaning towards orange or lemon, and a touch of coriander. the taste is pretty sour for a witbier, maybe it is from the orange peel used. that would serve to explain the lack of longevity in the head. there are some malts in the taste, but the bitterness of the peel is a bit overpowering. the body is light, with a weak carbonation. (668 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -57.9%

Live review. Poured from a short stubby Belgian style bottle much like the one pictured here into my Hennepin silver rimmed glass. Purchased at Lena's Beverage in Painesville a few days ago for $2.47. No observed "best by" or "freshness" date observed by me.

A First, visible sediment in the bottom of the bottle. Well, that sediment went right into my glass and it floats around in the bottom of said glass now. The head is brief, off white and within a minute it is a trace ring around the top of the liquid. Body, in addition to the visible sediment, is a kind of glowing yellow/brown and is translucent.

S Not good. I don't know how old this bottle is and the ABV and the style probably do not lend itself to a great amount of time to be cellared before it goes bad. When I opened it there was a nice release of pressure so I will assume that it is not completely skunked or oxidized or whatever bad things happen to beer over time. The smell is a grainy, spoiled type smell that reminds me pretty much of the smell of a vitamin pill (the type that you try to swallow quickly so as to avoid smelling it again). The smell was stronger at first but now it has dissipated a bit. Label says: "60 per cent barley malt, 40 per cent wheat malt, hops, coriander and fresh organic orange peel." Perhaps some of the off putting smell is the orange peel because I cannot imagine the other ingredients smelling like this.

T Oh no...the taste follows closely with the smell...this is not good. It calls to mind what rotten orange peels might taste like...the kind that you might find in the bottom of a trash can...There is maybe a malt background and I taste no hops but dominating are the gross orange peels.

M Moderate with putrid taste.

D I cannot finish this beer.

Notes: Perhaps I should look for this again when I have reason to believe that it is fresh? I dunno though, the release of pressure when I opened the cap suggests that it might have been o.k. and as intended. I will keep this review here for now and update as necessary. (2,037 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +5.9%

I drank this from a bottle into a chalice.

This is light yellow beer with a nice heavy white head, almost a bit much carboniation though. It has nice heavy lacing.

It smells of oranges, honey, coriander with lots of spice.

It has a sharp bitter taste with lots of spice and touch of orange.. (296 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +5.6%

The bottle is minimalist. A brown 33cl container with a rose red label held on with what appears to be tape. Definitely not the work of a large manufacturer. The bottle is capped, not corked, and opens with a light spray. You're hit immediately with a floral bouquet of esters, even before you pour. Honey, coriander, and light citrus zest permeate the air. The beer pours easily, but is heavily carbonated. My first pour left more head than beer. I gently added more, allowing me to reveal the hazy amber colour against a backlight. The taste is sharp, both from citrus and carbonation, and leaves a crisp feeling on the roof of your mouth. At 5% ABV, there are no heavy overtones of ethanol. But the finish is dry, leaving your mouth like cotton. It's a very forceful witbier, and if there were a lineup, it would stand out like a Hockey Player surrounded by Cubscouts. It's vaguely sour, but not in a way you can put your finger on; it's not at all bitter. Unfortunately, it's yet another uni-dimentional citrus beer. Disappointing, given it's wonderful odour. (1,063 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +12.6%

I had this at Isaac Newton's in Newtown PA.poured from a stubby into a snifter. Pours a cloudy yellow. I waited and poured the rest of the sediments into the snifter which made it even more cloudy. White heading which settled quickly to nothing. Smell is pure oranges and very faint hops but the smell is amazing. Taste didn't lead up to the smell kind of a big build up and then aahh. Very flat looking and taste is not that far off. (434 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Yellow/gold appearance and not much of a head - I poured it when it was probably too cold. Floral smell with orange and citrus. Bitter taste of vinegar reminiscent of some flemish ales. A bit of a funky yeast. Lightly sweet malts fairly inconspicuous. Coriander present throughout. Dry finish. Light body, good carbonation. Interesting brew worth trying. (354 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +10.1%

11.2oz bottle

pours a cloudy yellow orange color with a medium sized white head that leaves some sticking. Fresh nose of toasty wheat, lime, orange and lemon peel and spicy yeast notes. Slightly tart to the tongue, the smooth wheat and a subtle soapiness really rounds everything out mid palate and a small blast of citrusy hops give a nice bite on the finish. Light body, slightly coating and good drinkability. Nice beer Johan! (430 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Labeled as a witbeer.

A: Pours a bright golden-orange color.

S: Aroma is lemon pledge furniture cleaner with strong hints of ammonia.

T: On the nose was a huge orange peel scent with an highly acidic flavor, citrusy hopping with some medicinalnotes. The initial flavor yielded some sour orange peel and strong ammonia and medicinal flavors similar to that of a bathroom cleaner. 40% wheat palate only highlights the medicinal flavors in this beer. There was some lemon citrus grind in the finish but otherwise lacks spicing typical per style.

M: typical regenboog, light, fizzy with a touch of sourness. Limited drinkability.

D: It was the pungent ammonia aroma and flavor that really turned me off to this beer. (722 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -36.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Purchased a bottle at Julio's Liquors in Westborough, MA.

A: Quarter inch thick flat (not rocky) white head with good retention. Straw gold hue. Slightly hazy.

S: Lemon zest and coriander lead. There also seems to be a bit of Belgian funk from the yeast but I don't find it out of character or not mixing with the rest of aroma. Some tropical fruits also are detectable in a less significant role. Wheaty malt base.

T: Wow, an awful taste. Flat, no wit character. Nothing promising from the nose comes up in the taste.

MF: Dry. Medium body with moderate carbonation.

D, notes: No drinkability here - I dumped it before I finished the bottle. (649 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this on-tap at the BSP in Atlanta.

Pours a cloudy lemon color with a half-finger white head. The head dissipates slowly into a thin layer of bubbles on top and a thick ring around the glass. There's not much lacing.

Smells alright. Equal parts citrus, light fruits, and spicy aromas, although it's not as pungent as I'd hoped.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Light banana flavor mixed with oranges up front, followed by light spice flavors. The aftertaste is equal parts sweet fruits and citrus. Much like the smell, none of the flavors really stand out.

Mouthfeel is good. The thickness is just a bit on the thin side, but the carbonation is good.

Drinkability is alright. It's certainly not bad, but there's nothing that makes me want another one.

Overall this is a decent wit, but I probably won't be ordering another any time soon. (847 characters)

Vuuve from Brouwerij Smisje