Wostyntje - Brouwerij Smisje

good

Brouwerij Smisje visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 05-07-2003

The label on the bottle says: Wostyntje is a dark blond ale brewed with 90% barley malt, 10% munich malt, 2 sorts of hops, dark candy sugar and mustard seeds.
Ratings: 196 | Reviews: 145
3.6/5  rDev +0.3%

I got this in a Belgian sampler. 2 bottles of each. I tried the first one over a year ago. The mustard taste was extremely strong back then but has mellowed since. Now, if you think about it, you taste mustard.

Today, it was extremely effervescent. Enormous, fast dissipating head. Very enjoyable to drink while I worked, and even complemented pizza.

Would not turn this down if I saw it again.

4.16/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

It pours first a hazy orange brown then turns cloudy. Great head of foam, retention, and lacing.

Spicy nose to start..smells like some asian spices were used and the mustard spice clearly listed in the name. Quite a bit of sugary sweetness seeps through and there's an earthy character here as well.

Mmm..spicy, candi sugar sweets, earthy malt, cool that the mustard seeds integrate so well giving the beer an unusual but enjoyable balance.

Medium body with the carbo on the lighter side.

I only bought 1 bottle but I'll buy more if it's still around. An overall tasty son of a gun.

3.28/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

(no freshness date... a "new" case did come into my work recently, and this bottle was from that case... had a bottle last year elsewhere and a glass of this on tap... little current mention of this beer on the Smisje website... hmmm...)

A: old bottle? - lots of foam coming out when uncapped, head formed but fizzed out just as fast in the glass... clear liquid, tanned yellow-gold in color - the degree of brilliance found in this often suggests high attenuation, i.e. bugs

S: mild caramel, white grape vinous esters (vaguely sherry), overripe pear... no off-putting off-aromas, though

T: full burst of dried-crusted-over doughy malt, matched with a baker's yeast-like highlighting... dry champagne soda at its core... curious peppery-spicy zip/heat - the mustard seed? - you can smell a similar certain spicy something later on as well

M: approaching medium+ thickness in malt body, as if this has been aging (that old German lager quality, just with Belgian yeast nuances)... shows signs of viscosity, however, the lightly spiced-up alcohol warmth attenuates that fairly well

O: while this bottle is potentially aged, I believe I could sell this on the basis of it being similar in constitution to the slough of samey, fullish-bodied, red-hued Belgian Noël ales that we seem to have trouble ridding of each year - I happen to enjoy those beers, but you can't drink them all the time... this is 7% and not quite light and crisp, but has the allure of that yeasty-mustardy spice... worth one try - curious what you'd think

4.32/5  rDev +20.3%

At some point I had asked the owner of an exotic beer store for something weird and unique. This is what he gave me.

Dark orange with a towering white head. Bottle claims this is a golden ale but I heartily disagree. Don’t see many “orange ales” for sale.

Unique aroma, there’s an uncatagorizable floral hibiscus spice thing that dominates. Not sure what mustard seed smells like but if it smells like Goulden’s Spicy Brown I’m glad it’s not very obvious. Bruised orchard fruit like apricots and oxidized apple.

Taste is equally unusual and it’s going to take a while to sort it all out. Very dry with lots of spice and an even dryer moisture sucking finish. Malt like spaghetti squash sweet and tart strawberries. Don’t know that I’ve ever pulled spaghetti squash out of a beer before.

A good pick by whomever I bought this from. One of those beers that make me rethink beer as an art in addition to a beverage. I'm surprised by the lackluster reviews for this beer but I also mention of this brewery's inconsistency. Glad I got a good bottle.

3.57/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Brand new arrival at a local shop, new bottle format and everything.

Dark amber gold, minimal spotty lacing.
Smell is a little bit unusual, sourdough and tangy mustard. Dried fruit.
Taste is similarly tangy, distinct weird mustard vibe, on the verge of turning it seems. Light effervescent carbonation. Dry odd finish. Better than the one I had 3ish years ago, but still pretty weird. Not sure who i'd recommend this to... Fantome reject bottle lovers, this is the beer for you!

07-29-2009
1.9/5 rDev -46.6%

I feel obligated to review this, seeing that i've tried it before, and I bought a bottle for $5 to review it. Unfortunately it is tainted as several others from this brewery i've had in the past (Vuuve, Blonde). There's a medicinal, astringent sour twang that is definitely not pleasant, and I love sour beers. Intentional? Who knows...

Pours a deep hazy orange. Several fingers of foam that have sparkling bubbles like soap suds. The retention is good, but there is some swampy sediment even after a careful pour that keeps it from really looking great. Strangely cidery and medicinal in the nose, that becomes more fruity at room temp. Pears and bread. Tastes like Anbesol oral analgesic (Benzocaine) dumped into some cider, i'm having flashbacks to when I lost teeth as a kid. Yuck. Lingering unpleasant medicine. Watery and thin. Can't finish it, which is rare for me. Drainpour. De Regenboog needs to improve their quality control on these three beers...

3.92/5  rDev +9.2%

33 cl bottle poured into a Tripel Karmeliet glass.

Not a very "Pale" pour. The use of dark candy sugar and 10% munich malt gives it a light brown hue. A mild head fades pretty quickly.

A warminig nose with aromas of brown sugar, applesauce, cloves, and biscuit. I cannot smell any mustard seeds.

I couldn't taste much of the mustard either until it warmed up a bit, and even then, it was a very subtle flavor in the background. The bulk of the flavor is dominated by dark carmalized sugars, baked apples, cloves, allspice, and nutmeg.

A very enjoyable beer, but hard to justify the price ($7/bottle).

3.2/5  rDev -10.9%

On-tap in Daisey's: Brugge, on 18th Oct 2012. Light golden in body with white lacing. Would never have guessed this was a 'mustard' beer unless I'd been told. I couldn't find a trace of mustard flavours in my glass: aroma wise or in the taste.

I thought it interesting and yeasty, hints of spices and candid fruits but no mustard for me. This was my first beer of the evening so my tatse buds should have been fit enough to find some mustard if there was any!

Try it please: but the mustard presence is low, or at least it was in my 33cl glass.

3.44/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from 2/2010 notes. Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a hazy orange yellow amber. Way over-carbonated. Lost about 1/3 of the bottle to foam. Leaves some lacing though. Aroma of citrus, sweet malt, spices. A dry, moderately sour pale ale with light fruit flavors and some light yeast. Mustard bite in the finish would be interesting if there was some other flavor depth to balance it out. Interesting, but unbalanced.

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

A stubby bottle picked up in Westchester NY.

Appearance is a cloudy orange color with with fingers of white head. Its` nose has pepper, spice, belgian yeast, medicinal herbs. The taste of this strong pale ale is apple, caramel, bread, mustard, some boozyness. Mouthfeel is medium, good carbonation. All in all, a good beer, not one of the best from Smisje though.

3.45/5  rDev -3.9%

Wanted to start off my reviews today with a weird one and this is apparently the weirdest one brewed with mustard seeds.

A - Very fizzy head atop of some hazy amber brown beer. Little lacing and head is slightly opaque. (3.5)

S - Well it doesn't smell too much like mustard. Smells of a nice Belgium pale ale, yeasty and a touch of hops. (3.5)

T - Bubbly and carbonated I do get some brown mustard in the taste, then fruity yeasts, followed by a dry hopping in the finish. (3.5)

M - Medium bodied it drinks pretty nice. (4)

Overall I guess it's what I expected for just a basic dark Belgium ale brewed with seeds. Not worth the buy again at 6 dollars a bottle. (3)

3.94/5  rDev +9.7%

Hey, good beer! After hearing a lot about this one around Staten Island, I figured I had to give it a whirl, since I've heard nothing bad about it.

Poured into my Duvel tulip, good decision, the beer's got a huge ecru head that makes it within a cm of the top of the glass, lots of nice lacing on this one.

Smell of vague spices and hops. The taste is good, I pick up some mustard in the beginning, but after a few sips the tongue is numb to that flavor, still a very enjoyable beer. I like it!

2.39/5  rDev -33.4%

33cl bottle, apparently with a couple years on it, into an Old Engine Oil tulip. Thanks to JAHMUR for sharing.

A: Hazy orange-amber body with a solid cap of fine tan foam. Nice.

S: Primarily sweet, with malt and strange sprinkle-like candy notes on top of major spice. Mustard definitely shows up on the back end of each inhalation. Weir and kind of unpleasant.

T: Spicy and earthy at first, with some maltiness building toward the semi-sweet, spicy finish. Stale cheese and mustard aftertaste. Yuck.

M: Super-frothy, a little prickly. Not great.

O: This one really didn't do it for me, but at least it was bad in an interesting way.

Cheers!

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

A bit of a gusher that pours a cloudy dark orange, almost brown color with a two finger yellowish beige head that quickly settles into a thin ring. Spotty lacing left behind.

Odd aroma with a prominent mustard character as well as some other spices, light fruit and alcohol. It's really surprising how forward the mustard character is. Underneath there is some pale malt, peppery zest and crisp, light fruit. Weird.

Medium bodied with a balance of zesty spicy, light fruit, pale malt, alcohol and sweet, tangy mustard. The mustard presence is there but is not as prominent as the aroma suggests. There's a slight creamy texture that adds to the body and compliments the spice and sweetness of the mustard. Hints of apple and pear along with the alcohol presence provide a decent amount of sweetness. Spices compliment the mustard flavor which is surprisingly pretty tasty. I was expecting kind of a gross novelty but I really enjoyed this beer, finding it full bodied, flavorful and easy to drink.

3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

11.2oz bottle into a goblet

pours a gorgeous deep amber honey with a slightly off-white collar or dense cake-like foam. quite leggy.

belgian yeast on the nose, light and estery, some light wet grains. smells like a tripel.

hmmm. an interesting pull. palate unsure what to think. a little plummy and tart with a warm finish. estery, as the nose was. apples, belgian yeast, very little hops or noticeable malts.

very carbonated, somehow feels stronger than 7%, but mid-bodied overall. Doesn't linger.

For the price of $4.99, a kind of letdown, given its lack of punch. That said, it's definitely interesting and I've gladly paid similar prices for similarly tasty/interesting/<7% beers (anything Hitachino). The warmer it got, the better it got too.

3.4/5  rDev -5.3%

Unfortunately not as mustard heavy as I was hoping...I love mustards!

Pours an unfiltered orange color with a fluffy 3inch head...good retention.

Notes of candied orange, apples, nice earthiness and a hint of zesty mustard in the finish...that lingers for quite some time.

Overall; nothing special but certainly not atrocious as depicted by previous reviews; imo.

Paired great with the left over Gratin that I had to accompany it btw...

2.74/5  rDev -23.7%

On-tap at Dunderbak's. It pours a translucent golden hue with a long-lived wispy white cap. My first sip reveals a healthy dose of funky yeast and sweet banana-bubblegum wheat notes, along with a general bitterness that I cannot specifically ascribe, but evokes scorched tea. Hardboiled egg is noted from the aroma as the brew begins to air out, which is certainly an unwelcome development. I am also getting a ripe fruitiness, reminiscent of honeydews. The taste is getting stronger in terms of booze as it warms up, and that actually suits the beer quite well, restoring it partially from a bizarre anomaly to some familiarity to the BSPA/Tripel style. The feel is creamy and expansive, as a Belgian should be; unfortunately the good mouthfeel is wasted on a beer that is more interesting than good.

1.12/5  rDev -68.8%

33cl into a tulip. Pours a nearly transparent amber copper, creamy dense white head recedes slowly leaving frothy lacing.

Upon sniffing I slightly grimace, mustard, it didn't sound good on the label and it smells worse than expected. Rank and rancid like a well used pickle barrel put out to pasture. I've never smelled worse, a new standard.

Forcing my self to sip, my expectations are met - utterly gross. Tart, acidic and indeed rank. Bad bottle (?), perhaps yet I don't presume it to be - mustard is an advertised ingredient.

not worthy of words
atrocious
no cheers
jd

2.94/5  rDev -18.1%

Consumed 6/7
Poured in to a pint glass

A: This beer pours a hazy caramel honey color with a five finger of ridiculous foamy white head. Crazy head retention that leaves big clumps of sticky lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is mustard - or as my roommate said "it smells like a hot dog wad!". Lots of belgian spices and yeast are also present.

T: Taste is crazy mustard with an odd caramel malt sweetness. Good deal of belgian spice and yeast come in. A good deal of alcohol presence in the taste. The taste blends together far better than the nose.

M: Lighter bodied, medium carbonation, clean and crisp.

O: Goes down somewhat easily, interesting taste, not too filling, good kick, an odd representation of style. I'm all about breweries testing the limits but this one just didn't work for me. It was fun to try though.

3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

First had: bottle at the Belgian Café, Philly, PA

Poured into a tulip glass a hazy, golden brown with a HUGE, active, tan head that eventually receded to a thick ring, but was rejuvenated at every pour from the bottle (which I did aggressively just for the effect). Aroma of yeast, pepper, mustard...pickles? Spicy taste, corn and grains, earthy, peppery, and an underlying sweetness that never fully surfaces. Medium mouthfeel, a bit odd, but I thought it was still quite drinkable.

3.21/5  rDev -10.6%

11.2 oz. bottle into Duvel tulip. No apparent dating. Also, this is brewed by De Regenboog, not t'Smisje?

A: A big pillow of white head quickly settles into a bare collar atop a deep, hazy bronze body with some floaties.

S: The mustard is apparent. A bit of malty sweetness helps that mustard zip--think mustard greens, really--go down. Pretty potent nose, almost dank, and not for the faint of heart. Overwhelms any typically Belgian yeastiness, to me.

T: Tastes better than it smells. The mustard comes off as nicely tart, atop an otherwise ordinary Belgian beer. There is some bitterness in the finish, but it's again more like mustard greens, rather than hops. There's just enough "beer" to carry this along. Still, it's "unique" and not for everyone.

M: A bit thick and chewy, but the body has enough fine carbonation for me.

O: Well, I'm glad I tried it. I don't think I'd get it again. Tastes better than it smells. I think that says enough.

2.8/5  rDev -22%

Mustard beer, something new and I felt that it deserved a chance. After seeing a 1.5 liter bottle sitting at my local beer shop I finally bought it after a few months just watching it sit there. It was actually pretty interesting, I wasn't able to really pick up on the mustard so much but I did get a little bit of a nut flavor and some yeast. The bottle said it's a Brune Blond which I found interesting too, I suppose it's like a blend of both. The beer itself was a muddy looking blond color with a ton of sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

4.11/5  rDev +14.5%

Ordered off the menu due to my enjoyment of all things mustard...

Pours an attractive burnt orange gold color with medium cap of prickly off-white head, decent retention and lacing. Scent is muted, some spice (which could be mustard) mixed with belgian yeast, grassy hops and some musty hay. Taste is more aggressive then scent dictated, very original taste for a BSPA, more than moderate amount of spicing (which again could be mustard at work but it doesnt quite taste like what I expected), the belgian yeast is smooth and mellowed, lightly bready, some musty hay an dgrass notes with an unexpected touch of sour funk at the end. Lighter side of medium bodied, bright and crisp on the palate. While not getting the mustard qualities i expected, i was rewarded with a uniquely flavorful pale.

4.41/5  rDev +22.8%

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had a bright orange color and a cloudy texture. There was a huge, creamy, long-lasting head. Excellent lacing. A great-looking beer.

S: Not as strong a smell as I would have thought, but still there were elements of mustard, malt, and yeast.

T: An interesting flavor, given the style. The mustard is very evident - it has an acidic presence. Also, there are traces of fruit, malt, and Belgian yeast. Not your classic BSPA taste, but certainly complex and flavorful.

M: A highly carbonated beer with a mostly dry finish. Medium-bodied.

D: As I said, this is not a classic BSPA (in terms of flavor), but it is very drinkable.

3.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is cloudy light brown in color. It poured into a snifter glass with a three finger high off white head that took a long time to settle down and left a thin layer of bubbles consistently covering the surface. A high amount of visible carbonation is visible.
S: There are moderate aromas of spices and yeast in the nose.
T: The overall taste is rather spicy and flavors of the mustard seeds stand out in particular. There is a slight amount of bitterness.
M: It feels light-bodied and somewhat dry on the palate with a very high amount of carbonation.
D: Surprisingly, this beer is quite drinkable because the spiciness is not that strong. The taste of mustard seeds is definitely unique and I would consider trying this again because they are well incorporated into the overall taste.

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

S: Whole grain mustard, grassy hops, slight acidity.

L: Hazy yellow, carbonated head that dissipates.

T: Mustard-seed like acidity right off the bat, subtle sweetness. Light tartness with some spiciness as well. Low bitterness, tartness compensates. Finishes fairly dry with touch of more mustard.

M: High carbonation, works great with flavors. Medium bodied.

An interesting beer to say the least. Lots of full grain mustard flavors and acidity. Not sure i could drink a lot of this, but it was great to try.

Wostyntje from Brouwerij Smisje