Wostyntje - Brouwerij Smisje

good

Brouwerij Smisje visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 05-07-2003

The label on the bottle says: Wostyntje is a dark blond ale brewed with 90% barley malt, 10% munich malt, 2 sorts of hops, dark candy sugar and mustard seeds.
3.72/5  rDev +4.8%

(From notes)

A - Deeper brown coppery color, with hints of golden yellow around the edges. No head with the pour I was provided

S - Light pruney aroma; candied fruit; bit sour and spicey

T - Bit funky/spicey from the supposed mustard edition, but got the same dark fruit flavors found in the aroma. Some sugar, sour apple and breadiness

M - Pretty thin considering the flavors it's carrying, and tame carbonation. Not much interesting here, and kinda messy on the palate.

D - Just average here, though there are some interesting things going on in the flavor and taste. Just a bit out of my spectrum, and one is more than enough for my taste buds.

Overall, pretty unique brew and glad to have something pretty different. Definitely check it out, but I don't think I could revisit too often. (798 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -9.3%

Murky orange brown, and very still in my snifter. Lots of yeast floating around. No head whatsoever.
Wow- the mustard smell is very apparent. Smells sweet & tart as well. Some funk as well. Similar to a wild ale.
Wasn't sure what to expect with this one. Mustard taste is evident, but not too much so. Again, some funk, rotten fruit, and slight acidic bite.
Mouthfeel is okay. Slightly crisp and dry.
If this was all I had to drink, I'd have a couple. If I had something else to try though, I'd probably move on after one of these. (531 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +0.6%

From the stubby style - 11.2 oz bottle:

From the label
"Wostyntje is a dark blond ale brewed with 90% barley malt, 10% munich malt, 2 sorts of hops, dark candy sugar and mustard seeds"

Pour: Poured into a Sam Adams Sensory glass. Poursas a straw colored, "Hefe-esque" look until the bottom starts to catch up, and it then clouds. High foamy head with a fizzy sort of quality.

Smell: Scent of corn husk and sour vinager at first. Then notes of mustard and lemon emerge. Certainly unique due to the mustard presense.

Taste: A carbonated sweet mash of lemon, mustard, and slight malt. The carbonation adds the the flavor by opening up the nostrils and presenting a stronger mustard presense as you drink.

Mouthfeel: Perhaps a bit thin, but strong fizzy carbonation that carries the experience. Slightly acidic which is odd for the thinner consistancy.

Drinkability: I could have a couple, but this would not be a go to beer for me. However, if I were to fire up a couple of brats on the grill, this would go very nicely.

Setting: Would go really well with a German style meat meal. Such as Brats and saurkraut. (1,115 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -27.6%

Had this on tap at the Lucky Baldwins 10th Annual Belgian fest on 2/15/09.

I'm not sure whats going on but this is the 3rd beer in a row from these guys purchased from a different location that has been crap.

Pours a murky yellow orange with some brown in it. Decent lacing, not much retention.

Aroma is sour, boozy, and malty.

Taste has some barnyard character from the funk in the beer. Also some palt malt, sourness, and alcohol. Not pleasant. I'll pass next time.

Body is medium possibly because all the CO2 escapes quickly. Not enjoyable. (552 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured into a La Fin Du Monde Tulip.

A: Poured easily creating a light head with some light carbonation. Pale brown color leaving a light head once settled with a cloudy appearance.

S: Immediate smell of a citric and sour aroma of lemon and/or orange. There was a faint smell of candy along with a distinct aroma likely the mustard seeds.

T: Definitely sour flavor from the first sip. You could taste the lemon and orange but the aftertaste brought out the mustard seed with a slight bitterness. A little sweet and more carbonated than was expected along with a slight bit of complexity.

M&D: Got better and better after the first sip. I wasn't so sure at first but hung with it and it did get better. It feels carbonated in your mouth along with the distinct flavors clearly come out in each drink. A little more carbonated than I care for but drinkable.

Definitely worth trying for those who like the spicy Belgian ales. (929 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -4.8%

The beer poured with a medium sized white head, and was a golden/orange color. Although I poured carefully, the beer was slightly cloudy out of the bottle, but it settled out quickly. Chill haze?

I immediately noticed the carbonation - it was carbonated like champagne - more carbonation than a cider, and the bubbles were quite small.

The head retention was very good - the tiny bubbles kept it forming. Oddly, the head was comprised of very large bubbles - not really foam.

The aroma was sour, and the mustard seed could be smelled easily. Not off-putting, but odd. The taste was champagne-like, and wasn't beer-like enough for me. Perhaps this is the champagne of beers in Belgium?

I enjoyed about 2/3rds of this beer before the novelty wore off and the peculiar mustard/carbonation became just odd.

At the price, $6.50 for 12 oz., I would take a pass. (862 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the bottle:

HUGE white head--16oz glass where only half of the 11.2oz bottle could be poured. Slowly recedes. Cloudy and straw colored.

Sour aroma that is similar to vinegar. The mustard is there as the second smell noted. I imagine that this would go well with a brat.

Sour flavor, this time it reminds me of lemon. Then it's all mustard, which frankly is bizarre but strangely enjoyable. Solid body with a fair amount of carbonation.

This is an enigma. It's odd and tasty. Yet, the sourness is unappealing to me. The mustard is interesting feature that has the same effect as smoke to me. It changes the complexity of the taste and adds interest to flavor. And I am not sure if I like it, but I keep drinking it. (853 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +4.8%

33cl stubby poured into my Lost Abbey goblet, Wostyntje is a hazy golden bronze with a small, fizzy, quickly dissipating head that overall gives it an ice tea look.

Smell is yeasty and mustard seed, with a touch of honey that gains strength as it opens up. Served at cellar temp.

Taste is very nice, only my second mustard ale, I find this one showcases the taste of the seed while still integrating it with the base BSPA better then the Melchior. There is a sour doughiness, nice cereal flavor that combines with the spices to form an overall enjoyable savory taste. Still, there's a lingering sweetness, which again is rather ice-tea like.

Mouthfeel is thin, watery, something about the carbonation wasn't really beer like. Yet, it doesn't seem that digestible. Mouthfeel seems to be a persistent problem with the mustard ales.

Drinkability is pretty good, it's a unique but enjoyable taste. I could probably enjoy a second one of these, but it's not something I would session, nor something I will work into the regular rotation. Perhaps a bit of a novelty, but it worked, and I'm glad I tried it. (1,107 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +12.1%

Served on tap into a snifter at Buckeye Beer Engine in Lakewood, Ohio a few hours ago. This from the restaurant notes: A spicy floral hop with a hint of mustard and sweet candy finish, this beer begs tot be paired up with one of our famous burgers.

A Light brown, tan opaque body with medium, thick head. Not easy to see, however, with a red neon "BURGERS" sign within a few feet of me.

S Citrusy, floral, minimal hops.

T Citrus, hoppy, not terribly intense hops though. I do taste that sweetness mentioned in the description in the aftertaste.

M Smooooth. Depite hops, citrus, floral influences.

D OK but not great.

Notes: This is a weird beer! It was hard to get a handle on it and even more difficult to find it here on BA...I had to add it myself! (769 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +21.1%

super nice smooth and crisp. i can taste the hints of flavors mentioned on the label. very tasty. and highly drinkable, i could finish a couple of these. nice stong ale at 7% not too strong. i would seek this beer out. it was a little expensive tho. i like the way the foam clings to the side of the glass, its a very carbonated beer. (334 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +0.6%

Dark blonde 90% barley, 10% munich brewed with candi sugar and mustard seeds.

A: Pours a bright golden orange color with some haze, no head.

S: Weird funky aroma, some farmhouse scents, wild yeast, mixed with ammonia.

T: Funky yeast strain, with wet bread, sour yeast for flavor that is acidic and finishes with an ammonia presence and vinegar. Again some medicinal highlights. Acidic, sour oranges, ammonia, mustard seeds, sour alcohol finish out the flavor. Upon warming the alcohol and warm mustard seeds stand out.

M: light and watery and one I didn't want sitting on the tongue to long.

D: A quite strange and bizarre drink and not one I would go out and buy a sixer of. The high abv and lack of drinkability hurts this in the end. A curious try at best. (769 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +2.3%

Going into this beer I have mixed feelings. I love mustard so I hyped it up, but in the back of my mind I knew it couldn't possibly taste like mustard.

It poured a hazy golden color, with a thick sticky white head that lasted the whole beer. Smelled very sweet, picked up some vinegar. The taste was comparable to that of a belgian blond ale. Very sweet, with some complex spices, light malts, and light hops. If I wouldn't of seen that it was brewed with mustard seeds I don't think I would have known.. I'm still not sure if I taste it at all. Suprised to see the alcohol content is that high, went down pretty smooth and got better as the beer went on. Mouthfeel was a little off at times and the aftertaste could have been better. I won't be buying this one again, it wasn't anything too special, especially for the price.. (828 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -5.6%

L: Pours a nice orange color with a thick tan colored head that takes some time to fall to a nice thin film over the beer. It laces somewhat on the way down.
S: SMells of some sweet malt, a lot of yeast with hints of citris followed by a slight mustard aroma.
T: The taste has some malt but it was mostly yeast flavors that drove the taste of this. A little bit of mustard and a tiny bit of citris were able to be detected. I was expecting more mustard from this, but then it would probably not be as drinkable.
M: Very warming and spicy feeling
D: It was OK, I was able to finish it. (584 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +8.2%

After a quick scroll through some reviews, it appears to be rare to find this on tap.

When I heard that this was brewed with mustard seed, I expected something with much more mustard taste. The smell and taste is complex and spicy, but not obviously mustard like.

The bar owner is also a gourmet chef and he explained that if mustard is cooked above a certain temperature around 125 degrees, that it looses its flavor. Obviously a boil would do that, which is why the mustard taste is so mild.

Over all, a nice change of pace. (529 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

A murky, orange beer with a thin head with some big bubbles.

Smell is spicy, going toward cooked vegetables, this must be the mustard seeds. Funny, somehow this combines with beer. But on the other hand it doesn't.

Taste is spicy with peppery notes, yes this is mustard seed. It leaves an odd taste that puts the style in a whole new perspective. The yeast taste is totally overshadowed by this crazy spice and the malt is just barely noticable, only a little biscuit and caramelmalt.
Although this beer works well with the mustard seed, it is not a beer that I will have again soon. It is too far from the paved path for me. (629 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -9%

Cloudy amber, pours out a moderatly foamy head with a thin layer of lingering lace. A bit astringent smell, a hint of mustard greens but with some honey sweetness. Tastes sour but with a little sweetness and a little pepper in a dry lightly hoppy finish. The taste from the mustard seeds is unusual and hits an interesting sour, tangy, almost winey note. The mouthfeel and finish is a typical Belgian blond ale, though a bit less carbonated than most. (451 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -57.7%

Thanks to Patra for this wonderful birthday gift. It is safe to say that this is the oddest beer that I have tasted. It pours the color of apple cider with a hazy body and a foamy white head. Wostytje has a funky aroma of hard apple cider, pineapple and yeast. The taste hits you with sour apple cider vinegar and funky earthy yeast. Then it turns somewhat sweet in the middle and end with an odd bitter and mustardy finish. The body is medium with a smooth texture. Overall it's a very odd beer. Unique. However for me the flavors just don't work together at all. (568 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +23.9%

Purchased a bottle during Gravity Head '08 because apparently we had not had enough beers for the night. Poured from the 11.2oz bottle into a 10oz glass.

Appearance- Beer pours amber and clear with a deep two finger head that leaves a creamy splotch over the top. Lacing lingers around the sides and beer leaves no legs behind.

Smell- Coriander, candi sugar, mustard seed, and a similar yeasty ester to Duvel. Hops are oxidized and nearly gone from the smell. There is also paprika and pepper!

Taste- Cream and mustard. Once again the coriander and mustard greens come into play. Belgian yeasts come in and give this beer a VERY unique character. I would never have guessed that mustard seeds would add such a great character to a beer even though I am a mustard advocate as well.

Mouthfeel- Creamy, Evenly carbonated and even on body. I have to say that I love this.

Drinkability- Very nice. Unexpected and delicious. I will drink again if given the opportunity. I would love to find this anywhere. (1,004 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +18.3%

11.2oz bottle poured into a tulip glass. This is the first beer I have tried that is brewed with mustard, sounds like an interesting combination. Pours a cloudy orange/amber color with an off-white head that leaves a nice ring of lacing around the glass. The aroma is sweet and fruity with malt, mustard and other spices. The taste is malt with an array of spices, earthy barnyard flavors and Belgian yeast. I can't pick up much if any mustard in the flavor. Overall, this is a fantastic brew that I thoroughly enjoyed. It is certainly a weird combination, but the mustard is well integrated into the brew. Highly Recommended. (626 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +12.4%

I don't see how a person can look at a tap list, see a mustard beer, and not try it. Man, I love HopLeaf.

A - Cloudy orangeish body with very little head.

S - Nice mustard dryness on top of a candy-sweetness that ends up being balanced and spicy. Distinctive, but subtle, I'm quite impressed.

T - Very sweet and fruity at the entry, with lots of tartness. Dries out considerably the hops. On top of all of this is the mustard, which seemed a little strange at first, but as the glass warmed, as did I to this beer. Very different and yet balanced.

M - Crisp, nothing wrong.

D - I'm not saying that this is an everyday beer, or that this is for everyone. But I'm glad I tried it, and would recommend it to any BA with an interest in trying new things. (755 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours a cloudy golden amber with a off white head that leaves a lot of lacing. Nose is yeasty and alive with a touch of fruit edge. Flavor is unusual as it’s influenced by the mustard seeds. Smooth and even, there is a definite mustard edge to it, but not one so powerful that it makes things gross. Feel is thick with carbonation. Overall this one is definitely worth trying. I mean how often do you see beer that is brewed with mustard sees? Right? Even though it is sort of gimmicky, I might still consider going back to this one at some point. Just after I try all the other beautiful gems I happen to come upon. (617 characters)

Poured from the 330ml bottle into a tulip glass. Body is a golden-orange color, topped by a decent-sized head creamy head that has some staying power. Aroma of spicy Belgian yeast, tangy pale malt, and a good zip from the mustard and other spices. Palate is quite interesting - sweet, subdued malt is present in the airy body up front. A flash of Dijon-style mustard taste comes and goes in a split second just before the swallow. Mellow sweetness and a light fruitiness are evident on the swallow, leading to a fairly dry finish.
The body of this beer is light and just a tad creamy, belying its fairly high alcohol content. This one goes down easy, and while the mustard is a noticeable quirk, it by no means overwhelms the other characteristics of the beer. Well done. (772 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +11.3%

From bottle at The Trappist in Oakland. Nice Light amber colored pour. Smells like sweet belgian/german malts plus a spicy/herbal quality that is very unique, maybe from the mustard seeds?. Starts on the palate like a double, finishes like a lambic or maybe a flanders red. A miss out for everyone who was scared by the mention of mustard seeds. I'm betting they're brown instead of black mustard seeds, But who knows. Very dry and digestable. Tasty. (450 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -27.3%

This beer didn't really impress me. I didn't get much mustardness in the smell and none in the taste. That aside, this is a pretty marginal beer amongst the many hundreds of fantastic beer emerging from Belgium.

This beer poured a clear amber color with soapy head formation that did not stick around for long. Maybe it was just the power of suggestion, but I thought I could smell a bit of mustard along with a sour white wine or white wine vinegar smell. Taste was sweet and cereal-y with a candy sugar sweetness. Reminded me of a malted milk ball...which is not a good thing. Mouthfeel was a bit slick feeling.

Not recommended. (632 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +5.1%

Mustard ale from Belgium, why not? The beer is a cloudy, or should I say, very cloudy, deep orange amber with some head, lacing, and retention. The beer seems to be unpasteurized and unfiltered if the grit on the bottom of the bottle is any indication. The smell is Belgian pale in that you'll uncover the candied sugars, malty sweetness, fruity citrus, maybe some bananas, and then there is that mustard. This is a first. I would not have known it to be mustard unless I was clued in by the ingredients conveniently located on the bottle. This is a medium to full bodied beer, that is characteristically Belgian, except for that incredible mustard taste. Very unique, never experienced anything quite like it before, and is a must try, if only to say that you've had a mustard ale. If not for the mustard, this would be a very typical Belgian that I would have rated a 3.5 on the taste, I'm sure. There is a spiciness to the beer that clearly comes through from the mustard spice and maybe a little pepper is present as well. You'll detect some yeasty snappishness and an aftertaste where the alcohol makes its presence felt. Overall, this one is in a class by itself. It's a good beer, special, worth seeking out, but not one I would return to anytime soon. L'Chaim (1,267 characters)

Wostyntje from Brouwerij Smisje