Fiddlesticks - BuckleDown Brewing

BuckleDown Brewing visit their website
Illinois, United States

Belgian IPA |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 07-22-2013

This hybrid brings together all of the best qualities of Belgian brewing and American hopcentricity — spicy, hoppy, dry and complex.

Ratings: 46 | Reviews: 6
Reviews by craftbeerbyob:
3.95/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

My first beer at Buckledown and it is usually hard for me not to get an IPA off the bat, but Fiddlesticks did just that. It has a great nose and flavor, both full of hops with that distinct Belgian characteristic. I was able to sample all of their current selections and the owners/waitstaff were extremely generous and open. The brewery itself reminded me of Greenbush when it first opened. High ceilings and you smell the beer as soon as you walk through the doors. You can also watch the beer being made right from your seat at the bar. Only 4 on draft right now, but they are all brewed well.

3.63/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Served in a chalice at Haymarket.

Kicking off Bachelor Party-Palooza 2013 with a new brewery, one I was glad to see still pouring at Haymarket. This stuff pours a clear amber-gold topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises biscuit, honey, cracked wheat, orange zest, light pine, a gentle caress of grapefruit peel, and a small smattering of Belgian yeast-borne spice. The taste brings in more of the same, with the biscuit toning itself down and the spices kicking into high gear, particularly the clove. That said, things are still pretty balanced amongst the malt, the hops, and the spices. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sorta/kinda drying finish. Overall, a solid BIPA, nothing earth-shattering, but a nice debut beer, indeed.

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

I REALLY like this beer, but I'm a little torn. It is definitely Belgian, but the hops are not that prevalent. Maybe this is a Belgian Pale Ale, not an IPA? :) These are only things to quibble over, I think. The beer tastes fantastic, in the end. I think the malt is more pervasive than the hops, but it definitely has true Belgian characteristics. My only issue with this is the name. Also, I don't love the aroma. It's not super pleasing. I gave it a 3.75, but I might be kind with that.

Either way, if I try not to be too picky, this is a beer that's great to *drink*. The aroma is not great and the name is a bit misleading -- maybe that hurts in a competition, but not when I'm drinking it -- but it's a high quality brew, to be sure.

3.79/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

cool beer, but its more of a belgian wit type than an ipa, with an extremely pale malt base that must contain some wheat, and a yeast strain that dominates the aroma and flavor with its belgian characteristics. the hops are lost to the yeast in all sensory aspects of the beer, and a faint coriander hit even arises in the finish, maybe an ester of the yeast, but this is nothing like an ipa, not nearly enough hops for that. that said though, the beer, as a beer, is deliciously well made. the yeast is fresh and the mouthfeel is lively, its a great accompaniment to a burger (camel or otherwise), and was supremely drinkable with its explosive carbonation yet light grain weight. my first beer from these guys was tasty, even though it wasnt as advertised.

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

I have a lot more experience with American IPAs, but not a much with Belgian IPAs, as until recently, I've had an aversion to Belgian styles that have kept me away. Expanding my horizons.... Yellow with a hint of amber color, with a medium, long lasting head. Smells of spice and slight yeast sourness. Taste is extremely balanced - neither hops, malt, yeast nor spice dominates - which I find very pleasant. I only tried this one and Belt and Suspenders, and I like this one more than B&S in hindsight. I may have to get a grumbler of this to see how it travels home, which is thankfully only 10 minutes away!

4.65/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had on tap at BuckleDown poured into a tulip.

A) Bright yellow, cloudy, copper color around the edge of the glass. Two finger head leaving a good amount of lacing.

S) Belgian ale yeast, bubble gum, citrus, a small hint of black pepper, orange

T) malty, orange skittles, citrus fruits, juicy-fruit bubble gum, Belgian ale yeast after taste.

M) Thick, good amount of carbonation and nucleation.

O) Great beer for the style. BD does it great. I'll have another.

Fiddlesticks from BuckleDown Brewing