Ola Dubh Special Reserve 12 - Harviestoun Brewery Ltd.

Ola Dubh Special Reserve 12Ola Dubh Special Reserve 12

Harviestoun Brewery Ltd. visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Old Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Bitterbill on 02-17-2008)

afsdan, Apr 17, 2014

Cath, Apr 12, 2014

JoeMans, Apr 12, 2014
4.4/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

330 mL bottle from the LCBO; packaged in Feb. 2012 and best before Oct. 2015. Served at cellar temperature.

Pours an opaque blackish-brown hue, with an aggressive pour generating about one finger of dense, creamy, beige-coloured head. It recedes over the next few minutes, leaving behind a loose, sea-foamy cap and collar; not much lacing. The aroma is quite sweet and enticing, with hints of molasses, oak and vanilla, as well as some figgy dark fruit notes. Slightly smoky/peaty, with a whiff of alcohol.

This is almost sinfully tasty. Molasses and toffee sweetness start us off, leading into some dark chocolate and vanilla. Light fig and raisin notes then blend alongside an oaky, peaty flavour. Smoky finish, with a touch of whisky followed by some lingering wood smoke astringency. This brew has a nice warming quality - actually a little more than I'd expect for an 8% brew, but everything comes together nicely. On the heftier side of medium-bodied, with rather weak carbonation that produces a smooth, slick coating on the palate. Great stuff.

Final Grade: 4.4, an impressive A. My only regret concerning Ola Dubh Special Reserve 12 is that I neglected to pick up a second bottle of the stuff. This is a delicious ale that I would recommend highly to all BAs looking for a proper oak aged beer, and may also have some appeal to Scotch whisky fans as well. It's not cheap, but I don't mind paying for quality - and with that in mind, I'll have to keep an eye out for the other beers in the Ola Dubh series.

thehyperduck, Apr 10, 2014

ImFlyerThanYou, Apr 07, 2014

Thanx4AllDaFish, Apr 02, 2014

alrightokay, Mar 30, 2014

spham, Mar 26, 2014

kingmaker, Mar 26, 2014
4.23/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

From a 330 ml bottle to a snifter.

Bottled in Feb 2012, enjoyed in March 2014.

A: Black, no light makes it way through this beer. There is almost no head to speak of, but instead when the beer is poured there is a feign of a head, a wisp of foam that disappears as quickly as you look at it. The result is a full glass of black liquid with a very tiny ring of brown bubbly foam on the outside.

S: malts, peat, leather, smoke, oak all working together to give a nice rich smell.

T: smoke, oak, malts, roasts/coffee and a slight vanilla sweetness on the finish.

M: fine carbonation and a fullish body but lighter than expected. Given the heavy nose and taste I would have expected a heavier beer, but did not get one.

O: I decided to let this bottle go after finding myself with a couple of the Ola Dubh Special Reserve 30s. I have to say, this is a damn fine beer, and my only regret is that I didn't wait longer to open it, as I feel it would have only gotten better. There is so much flavor and character in this beer that I wish it was a 750 ml instead of a 330 ml so that I could enjoy it longer. Now...if I can get the one away from my buddy that I know he has...

polloenfuego, Mar 23, 2014

JamLand, Mar 12, 2014

ckollias, Mar 12, 2014

bmurray10, Mar 09, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz Bottle from the Ottawa LCBO for $7

Appearance - Dark brown colour with a tiny size frothy beige head. I can't make out the amount of carbonation showing and there isn't much lacing. The head lasted for around 2 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, chocolate, grains, coffee, smoke

Taste & Mouth - There is barley any carbonation and I can taste malts, chocolate, and coffee. There is also some faint wood and smokey/peaty/meaty flavour.

Overall - A little thin/watery and the wood doesn't really show up much. I'm also not a fan of a smoked meat type flavour in my beer. I had higher hopes for this one.

spinrsx, Mar 08, 2014

threedaggers, Mar 05, 2014

TriageStat, Mar 03, 2014

Troublebar, Feb 25, 2014

Eighty, Feb 24, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

nullbort, Feb 24, 2014

wl0307, Feb 09, 2014
Ola Dubh Special Reserve 12 from Harviestoun Brewery Ltd.