Ola Dubh Special Reserve 30 - Harviestoun Brewery Ltd.

Ola Dubh Special Reserve 30Ola Dubh Special Reserve 30

Harviestoun Brewery Ltd. visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Old Ale |  8.00% ABV

Every bottle of this extremely limited Ola Dubh 30th Anniversary Ale has been individually numbered. Our ale has been aged for up to six months in first fill sherry butts, formerly used to mature Highland Park's award-winning 30 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky. These hand selected butts add subtle whisky notes to what is already a complex ale with its chocolatey mouthfeel and distinctive bittersweet finish. The high ABV has been deliberately created to stand up to, and blend with, the intensity of flavor created by the infused wood.

(Beer added by: rallison on 02-23-2008)
3.85/5  rDev -9.6%

Finally decided to open up this sucker. Poured from a bottle into a snifter. Bottle #19287; September 2007

A- Color is very similar to a chocolate brownie. Zero visibility. Produced a half fingers width of off-white head. Dissipated to a thin ring around the glass.

S- Lots of wood with definite notes of whiskey. Also picking up smoked peat. Soft notes a vanilla hear and there.

T- Interesting indeed. Initially I picked up a mellow whiskey flavor with vanilla and caramel malts. The sweetness, while subtle, grew in the end. This beer also took on a smoked beechwood character, akin to the Aecht Schlenkerla beers. While the smokiness was there, it was nowhere near as dominant as the German counterpart...subtle in fact.

M- The package stated that this was a "viscous and gooey" beer. That it was not. Medium bodied with good carbonation. Could have definitely used a thicker mouthfeel.

D- This one drank real easy. Really did not taste the alcohol in this whatsoever.

Overall, this was a pretty tasty beer. However, at $13 to $14 price tag for a 12 oz. bottle, I think I'll be passing on this one from now on.

rhinos00, Jan 07, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -1.4%

Bottled September 2007, consumed January 2010. Made a roadtrip to Louisiana and found this dusty old box sitting high on a shelf in a little beat down liquor store.
poured up a nice dark brown with an everlasting brown head. great lacing. the aroma was caramel, subtle dark fruits, red grapes, very pure. the taste was deep....oak, scotch, smoke, red grapes, apples of all the colors, caramel. Medium bodied, low carbo, very smooth.
All in all this was a bad bitch. I drank this with a buddy in the car while chillin at Sonic. Best Sonic trip ever. Now I just gotta try to find the Special Reserve 40...

stumac, Jan 06, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +1.6%

A gift from my marvelous wife for Christmas this year. Who wants anything other than a wife who gives you beer when you already have three years worth socked away in the basement? Label has it bottled in September 2007, so it comes into my hands well aged already.

Completely, utterly, bat black, looking still & rather sinister underneath a patina of mocha. Smell is very promising, rich vanilla dominates the nosescape.

...and exhale. Is anybody just making straight-up beer anymore or has everything gone cockeyed? Luckily this one seems to be careening off the rails in a very positive direction. The bourbon is welcome & subdued, but the oaky, churlish smokiness of it caught me off guard. Another sip, me nodding. OK. Secondary tastes come in slowly, low concentration of chocolate, vanilla, sweet, sweet malts that counter the bourbon. The layers of this have layers.

The barrel gives this a dry finish without the wood being active in the taste. Not much in the way of carbonation, but the stillness of the brew seems to match the gravity of this serious beer. I'd planned to knock this a bit on drinkability, but now I notice the stuff is disappearing at a rather rapid rate. Interesting.

Excellent beer. This is the first I've had in the "Reserve" series & to judge by this bad-boy, I have a need to sample the others. This is quite simply a well-made beer.

maximum12, Jan 03, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

Been wanting to pop this one open for a while. Bottle dated September 2009, # 03113. I'll pour it into the big snifter. Very dark beer. Some wispy foam that can be roused with swirls of the snifter.

Figs, raisins, chocolate, cinnamon-graham, and a good deal of Scotch in the nose. It seemed a bit muted at first, but I had poured it entirely too cold, my fault. The aromatics open up exponentially as it warms.

Taste here seems dominated by peat, caramel with some light smoke. A whole lot of Scotch whiskey taste, with very little whiskey burn - the two years of age must have really calmed the alcohol down, because this is such a smooth brew. Very "earthy" brew with the peat, little char and a mineral taste I can't put my finger on contributing some pleasurable bitterness.

Feel shows a touch more creaminess than many whiskey barreled beers, I like that.

Like any Ola Dubh, it's a super-cool beer, and way too easy to drink. Maybe not quite as easy to drink as the 12, but still very drinkable for something like this. In fact, I give the 12 an ever-so-slight nod overall, and my ratings reflect that.

Patrick999, Dec 19, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

Split one of these with a friend for a tasting... 11.2 oz. bottle, bottled Sept. 2007. Poured dark dark dark color, not a huge head at all. Highland Park is one of my favorite scotches, so I'm excited for this one.

Smells of bitter chocolate and a faint hint of smoky scotch.

Taste is more of the same, but more layered, the first bit is rich and chocolatey, but the aftertaste is strong smoky scotch. Well balanced overall and I love the way the scotch flavor sticks with you at the end. I wish the smoke flavor was a bit stronger, but that might throw some people off.

Feels great on the mouth, good carbonation and smooth. I could definitely drink a few of these in one sitting. Easily.

theboozecruise, Nov 21, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My tour of the cask Ola Dubh series continues unabated thanks to the local beer guru at Churchkey in Washington D.C. This is the third out of Ola Dubh (40 and 18 already) that I have had on cask and I continue to review them.

Beer is served from the cask into a goblet. Beer is black wtih a big brown bubble head that disappears really quickly. No lacing (of course) and no carb that I can detect. I do not know when I caught the life of this cask. They were too busy for me to ask.

Aroma is beautiful and complex. Some alcohol, roast, wood. Second smell is more wood, some musk, a little vanilla and chocolate. Its so complicated, think of a fine wine or an aged whiskey when you drink this beer. Its barely beer.

This beer is silky smooth. There is some sweetness that is 100% alcohol, but there is also a ton of malt sweetness in there as well. There is an aftertaste and I can taste the musk, the chocolate and some roast back there. Nice body and good mouth connectivity. Drinkability high.

Out of the three that I have tried so far, 18, 30 and 40, the 40 remains my favorite on cask. The 18 is the worst IMO. This 30 was very similar to the 40 but I still like the 40 better. Just a few more and I'll have a complete set. Thanks Churchkey! Now bring on the 12 and the 16.

drabmuh, Nov 16, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

I was afraid of this beer at first, but my fear turned out to be unfounded.
Appearance was jet black with giant tan bubbles that rapidly settled.
Aroma reminded me of a single malt whisky.
Taste had very light smoke, some wood, a bit of caramel, and a finish of Lagavulin. Amazing progression, with the whisky flavor only at the very end.
Would like to lay a bottle or two down for a year and see what happens.

Travlr, Nov 14, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review #500

Shared with Swimsum and poured into a couple of snifters. We tried the 16 and 12 shortly before this.

September 2007 bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance: As with the 12 and 16, this beer poured out like sludge: dark, thick, oily, and opaque. In the glass, it's completely opaque. Head is small and off-white; drags spotty lacing.

Smell: Big whiskey once again, and once again it's not harsh or overpowering. Dark chocolate, molasses, caramel, and sweet oily hops all add to the mix. I know that this is the same recipe as Ola Dubh 12 and 16, but I get way more oily hops in this one than I did in those. Maybe I'm just drunk... maybe. I think this aroma is the most complex (compared to the 12 and 16).

Taste: Whiskey, dark chocolate flakes, caramel, smoke and flowery hops. Roasted malt makes a pretty good contribution, especially in the finish. Great balance - great complexity.

Mouthfeel: Oily with very low carbonation. Slick but not warm (as with the other Ola Dubhs). Great feel for an old ale. Me like.

Drinkability: The 30-year-old barrel adds a lot more complexity than the 16- and 12-year-old barrels did. This was so damn complex and enjoyable! This whole series (12, 16, 30) was complex and enjoyable. I highly recommend these beers, and would be happy to try any of them again.

ThreeWiseMen, Nov 09, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +6.3%

11.2 oz. (330ml) bottle into Duvel tulip.

$14.99 / ea.

S: Very distinctive scent. Coffee, and strong smoke.

A: Big loose tan head. Opaque black body (nothing gets through the darkness).

T: Smoke, and lots of it. Malty with no hint of -OH. Wonderful.

M: Smooth light body, with medium carbonation.

D: I could drink this all night... If it wasn't fifteen bucks a bottle. Would be great with a salty snack.

O: Great beer, but a bit pricey. Would love to share this with friends.

dpnelson1978, Oct 31, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

Thanks to witbier for this fine ale, you are too generous Zeke. I shared this with tenderbranson69, poured slightly cooler than cellar temp from the 11.2oz into my Duvel tulip.

A - An opaque black like an 8 ball w/ 2 fingers w medium tan w/ a tiny bead. Thick lace results from the pour and sticks to the glass

S - A great scent of smoke and wood in the nose - a fine scotch whisky influence in the aroma w/ toffee, and spice cake odors. The scent has mild cocoa and peat notes - very woody w/ a mild alcohol scent

M & T - A feel that is both rich and smooth w/ dry spiced texture and alcohol on the palate from the barrel. The middle has a mild maltiness and nutty roasted tinges w/ chocolate smoothness and a mild vanilla bean w/ raisin element and the mild smooth caramel in the dry finish
The taste is rich w/ dark toffee and vanilla bean, and an almost cocoa/caramel taste. The flavor of the scotch barrel is there, but doesn't overpower, sweet malts w/ layers of sweetened nuts and toast are subtle and roll over the palate. The dry taste is there as it finishes w/ the whisky maintaining its presence throughout

D - A phenomenal drinkability - the blend of the beer and barrel are practically seamless. A marriage of great beer and wood, begs for repeated tastes. I am eager to taste the other versions of this fine barrel aged ale.

Slatetank, Oct 11, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +8.7%

Poured at Cole's in Buffalo, a real rarity and glad I got the chance to try it.

Midnight black on arrival, touch of thin lace, pretty still but enough carbonation for the style.

Nose is truly majestic. Smooth, creamy vanilla, roasting malts, a hint of chocolate and woodiness.

Taste is really not too far behind. Vanilla, roasting malts, just a touch of bitter chocolate, slight earthiness, ridiculously smooth drinking. Creamy mouthfeel, a true sipper.

This is a really well done beer but truly a nightcap/sipper. Even a 12oz bottle would be a real stretch for the most ardent of drinkers, it being so rich and luxurious. A treat for sure.

ritzkiss, Sep 28, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

Apparently this cost a staggering $475 for a keg, and I'm lucky that Cole's ponied up the cash to give me the opportunity to try this on a rare tap outing.

Ola Dubh 30 pours a midnight black, and its tan head quickly dies down to the thinnest of collars. It looks like engine oil or the depths of Satan's soul. The nose is just ridiculously smooth. Strong scotch aromas of wood, vanilla, chocolate, smoked malt, peat and alcohol make love to my nose. Its a beer you could smell for a long time and never really tire of.

Wow. There's a lot of roast malt, which would otherwise have created a fantastic beer in of itself, but the overlay just elevates this to a whole new level. Vanilla and chocolate add a great smoothness. Smoke and earth bring depth, and the wood compliments every flavour from start to finish. This is how barrel-aging should be done! Its more akin to drinking a top-notch scotch than anything I've come across that isn't a top-notch scotch. All of these flavours are boosted by the creamy, smooth body, with its minimal carbonation and luxurious mouthfeel.

I'm blown away.

As a cross-reference, here's what I've thought of the other Ola Dubh's I've had:
Ola Dubh 12 - light barrel character with the flavours from the base beer far more evident (4.1)
Ola Dubh 40 - huge scotch character, complimented by chocolate and caramel, smooth and warming (4.65)

bobsy, Sep 28, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Appearance: Dark brown with slight head that fades quickly but leaves some lacing

Smell: Scotch hints of chocolate

Taste: You can definitely tell this is a cask beer as their is a prevailing taste of scotch with some dark chocolates and smokiness

Mouthfeel: Thick scotchy finish slightly sweet on the backend

Drinkability: This is the one you end the night on.

t3hcho53non3, Sep 27, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -3.1%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees
BOTTLE No. & DATE: 05896/Sept 2007

This pours black and oily, just as I'd hoped it would. About half a fingers worth of dark brown/chocolate colored foam makes for a very nice head, which sticks around for quite a while. Lacing is in strands and is pretty sticky, despite the oily residue fighting to slide it back down.

The smokey peat scent is quite dominant, here. Roasted malts are down in there, along with dark chocolate. Traces of vanilla, molasses and toasted coconut.
This is easily the most obvious scent of scotch, in a beer, that I've encountered...and it's delicious smelling!

Big, dark roasted malt flavor mixes with a hugely peat-filled scotch flavor. Rauchbier's don't have this much smokiness in them! Slight sweetness of molasses and vanilla. Slight bitterness of burnt roastiness. The booziness seems like it's higher than 8%abv.

Medium bodied, and leans towards the low end of that. Mild carbonation level. I was hoping for thickly viscous, but it sadly leans towards an almost waterey texture.

I'm glad that I had the opportunity to try this. I'd drink it again, if the chance presents itself, but I won't go on a quest for it or anything.

coldmeat23, Sep 04, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +0.5%

11.2oz bottle poured into a goblet. Bottle number 11966, September 2007.

A: This beer is quite aptly named. Pours dark brown, almost black. One finger head fades but leaves some lacing.

S: Roastiness, dark fruits, and alcohol. Like a boozy doppelbock.

T: Quite complex. By turns roasty, chocolaty, and smoky. Finishes with a lingering bitterness.

M: Smooth as silk.

D: Pricey but outstanding. Definitely a beer to end the night with.

BarrelO, Aug 29, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +13.8%

Appearance: Exactly as the name translates to: "Black Oil"

Aroma: You can smell that this was a cask beer, with hints of chocolate, and scotch.

Taste: Absolutely smooth dark chocolately taste that tones down the undercurrent of scotch and black licorice.

Overall: One of the best beers I've had the luck of stumbling upon. Absolutely incredible. Was it worth the $14 I paid per bottle? No doubt. This was drank as an "end-of-vacation" beer, and man, did I wish I had bought a few more. Also, you can feel the alcohol content on this one. Its thick and drinks like it.

FlyingRabbit, Aug 23, 2009
4.95/5  rDev +16.2%

Bottle purchased Fall 2008. Tasted 13 August 2009.

Appearance: Pitch black: thick, viscous, opaque, with just a hint of sand-tan head. Like a black old ale.

Aroma: The most amazing black-beer nose I've ever experienced: Tar, tobacco, sorghum molasses, raw honey, freshly cut grass, and....coconut? Incredible.

Taste: Wonderful bitterness. 70% cocoa dark chocolate, coffee, nutmeg, tobacco, sorghum, Scotch whisky, toasted malt, cardamom. Heavenly.

Palate: Finishes like a thick, beery single malt Scotch. Just a hair too sweet on the finish, keeping it from a 5.0 score for me.

Overall: If I pay $15 for a 12 oz. bottle (in a box), I want it to taste like this. SO much smoother than the 12-yr. version I had in November. Food pairings? Only the deepest, richest, multi-layer chocolate extravagance. Or a top-shelf cigar.

Stunningly highly recommended.

drperm, Aug 15, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Bottle # 22992/Sept 2007 bottling. Consumed 8/11/09.

A - Dark, almost-black brown with reddish tint when held to the light. What little head did form quickly disappears as though it were never there.

S - Perhaps one of the most amazing smelling beers I've had. They should make a perfume out of this. Round, aged wood, vanilla with distinct scotch and a hint of port-like oxidation that I feel positively affects the beer.

T - Oak, vanilla, dark chocolate and subtle whiskey. I enjoyed that the whiskey flavors were not over the top but instead another subtle complexity that makes this beer one of a kind.

M - Little to no carbonation, creamy and rich and a lingering presence after the last gulp.

D - Enjoyable, but would be hard to drink more than the 6 oz. that I did because it comes off a little hotter than the 8.0% abv suggests.

All in an all an excellent beer.

spaceycasey, Aug 12, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -16.7%

Bottle #0667 in Spet 2007.

Pours pitch black with a moderate almond head that dissipates quickly. Smells of sweet malts and bourbon barrels. Taste is a dark charcoal taste. The sweet smell does not really come out in the flavor. I think the hops come out much more in this beer when compared to other dark beers. Mouthfeel is medium to light with little carbonation. Drinkablilty is good. I could drink a few of these.

Overall it was a good beer. Nothing special here; nothing to justify a $16 11.2 oz bottle anyway. I don't know if some of the intensity has mellowed over the 2 years since its bottling...

BeerStine, Aug 07, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

2007 vintage. This looked the same as the 12, 16, and 18 year Ola Dubhs. It smelled quite similar to the 16 and 18 years (chocolate and caramel and honey wheat and roasted coffee). I expected it to have a stronger peat and oak scent, due to the greater year, but instead it remained mellow and sweet. It tasted similar to the other Ola Dubhs also (roasted barley and burnt coffee and molasses, with a strong oak and peat finish), but with the most prominent peat character of any year, along with salty oak. It had a similar texture to the other years, but with a strong scotch aftertaste. Overall this had the most depth and complexity of the Ola Dubhs, with the boldest flavor. It had a very strong sense of scotch, although it wasn't difficult to drink as long as you enjoy the flavor of scotch. Age is clearly a friend to these beers, and this one could go much longer. So good to sip. Fantastic beer.

Pencible, Jul 30, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

I love beer and I love scotch. Most of the time, the combination is awesome (except for that BrewDog Storm, yikes). This is representative of the former. Pours black with brown edges. Short-lived brown head, slight lacing. Peat and chocolate fill the nose, but don't overtake the caramel and cream. Coffee-and-chocolate flavor hits you first, but the slow burn of the scotch is right there. Lovely centered, sweet cream and toffee finds its way through. Smoky, peaty, oaky, but avoids the oily/soy-sauce tang that some of the younger brews had. A welcome salty-sweet finish as well. Expensive, but worth it.

magictrokini, Jul 24, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a dark brow body and a light brown head that lasts and lasts. Smells of rubbing alcohol, oak, nuttyness, coco, raw vanilla extract. Tastes very very mild and hides the alcohol well. A bit of milk chocolate on the front smooth through the middle then a kick of alcohol at the end. Mouthfeel is buttery smoth and low carbonation. Drinkability is just awesome.

danadeny, Jul 10, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -4.2%

On cask at Maxs.

Very dark brown with a brown head. Good retention, some lacing. Smoky on the nose with molasses, brown sugar, whisky and a little chocolate. The palate opens up with a lot of delicious whisky behind which there's chocolate, nuts, smoke and peat. There's a slight nut-skin like astringency that I like. Finishes dry, smoky and a little hot. A definite sipper.

DefenCorps, Jun 26, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +15%

I found this on tap at Beachwod BBQ @ Seal Beach.
The bartender poured this beer the right way. A good two-three finger head dark tan in color with a dense body with huge head retention. The nose had a big aroma of a very nice bourbon. The Taste starts with a dark roasted coffee flavor that quickly fades into a big juicy dark plums and black cherry fruit mid palate. The finish ends with a smoky sweet caramel note. Wow what a great day this was thanks to the people who brewed this gem.

athensbeermaster, Jun 25, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -7.3%

Reviewed on 6/23/09 with the help of Wheatman106 and speedwayjim, served in a snifter glass.

Appearance- Without knowing this was an ale, this brew presents like a stout. With that said, there was 1 1/2 finger head, dark and opaque with spotty lacing on the glass.

Smell- This brew gives me strong whiskey, chocolate and malts.

Taste- opens smooth with no carbonation and dark chocolate, from the middle to the end I taste roasted malts and the earthiness of wood from the barrels. The carbonation is very prominent with milk chocolate in the end and this brew finishes strong with a slight trace of coffee and subdued hops.

Mouthfeel- This brew is surprisingly full bodied and the carbonation really enhances the sour notes of this beer but as the carbonation fades the roasted malts really come through.

Drinkability- Personally I would have another because of the simple and distinct flavors in this beer, but my colleague give this a lower drinkability

capra12, Jun 24, 2009
Ola Dubh Special Reserve 30 from Harviestoun Brewery Ltd.