Old Engine Oil - Harviestoun Brewery Ltd.

Old Engine OilOld Engine Oil

Harviestoun Brewery Ltd. visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

English Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,511 | Reviews: 755

1.25/5  rDev -69.8%

2.13/5  rDev -48.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Doesn't appear as thick as the bottle advertises, but it is dark dark. Smell isn't much to shake a stick at, faint malts & alcohol.

I have to admit not much reaction to this. It's dark beer, without much character. I get some odd hops coming off of it, & the malts...I suppose there's water in this thing too, but not
much else. I'm not feeling it.

Not really even average. Everything from the nose to the taste just reeks of substandard weirdness. Nothing out of the ordinary, nor anything noteworthy for the style. I shan't try another.

EIDT: the warmer this got, the worse it tasted. No depth, no melding of the flavors...ended up drain-pouring half the bottle. I'm baffled as to the appeal of this beer.

2.25/5  rDev -45.7%

2.41/5  rDev -41.8%

This beer pours a very dark color with a small tan head and little lacing on the glass. The aroma was a little hard to figure out, but malts were detectable. The body was really full and thick. I didn't find the flavor very pleasing, but it is interesting.

2.5/5  rDev -39.6%

2.5/5  rDev -39.6%

2.59/5  rDev -37.4%

pours almost pitch black with a 1+ finger head that left some lacing

smell was too much like a pils - cereal grains very weak

taste is like the nose a pils with some toast and chocolate

mouthfeel is very light and thin

drinkability - well i doubt i ever drink this again unless its free - high price tag for black pils = pass

2.65/5  rDev -36%

I poured this properly but got no head at all. Just a small gathering of bubbles at the top of the glass. I was a bit disappointed in that. Has a light chocolate/caramel aroma. Quite sweet. taste is initially quite sweet and chocolatey with a bitter aftertaste that lingers a bit. Very heavy in the mouth and very thick for a beer. Drinkable but not my beer of choice when it comes to the darker stuff.

Ok.. I had to edit my entry. I couldn't finish it. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't do it. The more I got into it the thicker and more oily tasting it got (yes I have had the unfortunate experience of actually tasting engine oil - the real stuff).
1/2 a glass got poured down the sink. After reading other reviews I really can't see what all the fuss is about. I don't think I'll get it again.

2.75/5  rDev -33.6%

2.76/5  rDev -33.3%

Was purchasing Harviestoun's twisted and bitter and the clerk talked me into this. Looks good, black and lacey. Smells interesting, dark and mysterious. Taste is heavy on the smoke, really dominates and pushes everything else aside. Too much black patent malt for my t-buds, doubtfull I'll indulge again, tho it's impressive they've packed this much flavor into a 6% tipple, it's all smokestack.

2.87/5  rDev -30.7%

Bought at Cyclone Liquors.

2002 Vintage

Pours a nice little brown head and has a black color that you cannot see through. Head falls and leaves a almost no lacing behind. Smell is chocolatey great with some wonderful whiskey notes with some oaky smells. Taste is sour. Very sour, something is definetly wrong. Sour with some small flavors of roasted malts, but the dominant flavor is sour. There is some alcohol burn in the chest which is confusing for me considering it's a 6% beer. Mouthfeel is pretty smooth, but acidic with bite. Overall, I wouldn't have another one immediatly, but would give another chance. Actually I can't finish the bottle I have.

2.88/5  rDev -30.4%

Bottle directly from Scotland. Poured into a the Molen sniffer. The beer pours a very dark black color with a short-lasting light brown head, leaving a messy lacing.

Smell: Dark chocolate, roasted malts, leather, coffee and some hints of red fruit.

Taste: Roasted malts, dark chocolate, liquorish and bitter coffee. Very short and bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-low carbonation. Beer has even less body than a European lager.

Overall: Disappointing beer. Feels like drinking bitter water. What a shame. Highly overrated in my opinion.

2.93/5  rDev -29.2%

I don't understand where this brew is scoring some of its high marks. The two bottles I worked my way through were unremarkable and frankly offered up a somewhat odd taste.

Subtle aroma, some dark fruit, some chocolate, but not as interesting as some other porters I've had. Unusual sour taste and mouthfeel.

Disappointing.

2.94/5  rDev -29%

Being a big fan of dark porters, I had high expectations for this beer that were unfortunately not met.

Everything up to the point of tasting the beer was a great experience. The pour was smooth, about 1/4" of head, and the smell of the brew was fantastic. It smelled very strong, with a chocolately aroma.

The taste of the beer however was just ok. It didn't blow me away. The worst part of it was in fact its aftertaste. Once I was half way through, I was actually glad that I only had 1/2 bottle left as the aftertaste left a mildly stale taste in my mouth. Overall, Engine Oil wasn't terrible, but if I was going to spend 4 bucks for a bottled porter brew, I would look elsewhere.

2.97/5  rDev -28.3%

Pours a dark black with hardly any head. Appears to be thick, syrupy, viscous. Aroma is dark malts with an emphasis on chocolate. Bitter dark chocolate. Taste mostly reflects the aroma. Mouthfeel is slick and oily with soft carbonation. Not a bad beer but I wasn't that impressed.

3.04/5  rDev -26.6%

Dark brown-light black with ruby red highlights and a nice tan head. Color was the best this had going for it ... A light alcoholish aroma but more prevalent was the powerful fruity (gooseberry?) type aroma ... not pleasant.

Tasted a maple syrupy and molasses type sweetness (maybe Black Treacle?). Also, any chocolate tones were more like the bitter unsweetened dark chocolate used in baking.

Body was bit on the light side of medium which certainly didn't balance out the strong flavors for me although there was a slick, oily texture true to the name.

A disappointment to me after much anticipation...

3.05/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

On cask at Rustico (Ballston).

The beer is black with a quarter inch of off-white cap that holds steady for several minutes. The aroma brings milk chocolates, roast, malts, biscuits, brown bread. The flavor is sweet and chocolaty, followed by mild roast and sweet breads. A bit lacking actually. Not bad at all, but the flavor kind of drops off. Thin body and a bit too sweet. Eh...

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Old Engine Oil from Harviestoun Brewery Ltd.