Le Saisonnier - Side Project Brewing

Side Project Brewing visit their website
Missouri, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: dwagner003 on 01-10-2014

Le Saisonnier is named after the seasonal workers for which the first, old-world Saisons were originally brewed. Amber in color and fermented in and aged in Chardonnay barrels with a blend of yeast and bacteria, Le Saisonnier is bright, balanced and refreshing.

this beer was amazing now if Mizzou could only win a GD basketball game life would be perfect.

Tart with an orange haze. great carbonation and event better taste. Tart, WOOD, finishes dry and leaves me wanting to drown myself in these amazing suds. Tasted in my great Side Project Glass. Great beer Cory!

4.94/5  rDev +15.7%

le Saisonnier, as a sour beer fan, I could not have been happier. Waves of flavors ranging from vinegar to pineapple to sweet and sour sauce, green apple skins to atomic warheads crashed over my tongue. I was taken aback. This beer cannot be real, nothing in my life has ever tasted this good. I immediately felt like it was wasted on me. As if all of my years of drinking beer I had never quite lost my walmart palette. I had though. My favorite go-to is Goose Island's Lolita, a very nice sour that I would recommend to anyone, and this new beer promptly stomped it's head in the sandbox.

I had the beer on tap, at Perennial the day of release, several times. I also brought a few bottles home, but have only enjoyed one so far. I'm trying to save the others, but it's going to be very, very difficult.

Cory has made a fan for life with this one. I'll be at every release forward.

4.8/5  rDev +12.4%

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

Had this at MWBBF and thought it was just mediocre.

Had it again tonight and really got to enjoy a full glass.

This beer has changed dramatically for the better.

Bretty citrusy pungent hay smells up front followed by the tartness that has developed into this beer.

Taste is puckering and tart up front with earthy tones and brett flavors coming through. The finish is actually where it's at, after adding the dregs this beer began to take on peach skin notes as well as the fruit and flesh. Very complex that slightly resembles a blend between aged Fou Foune and Pulling Nails.

Right up there with the top tier Side Project beers. I can't believe how much age has improved this beer.

4.74/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer looks and tastes like saison meets fresh lemonade without the sugar. Or maybe a saison meets a berliner. The bright lemony body pours with a billowing foamy white head. The scent is bright with lemons but also has that yeasty ester. The taste is outstanding. Crisp and clean saison body with just enough lemon tartness to make this complex. This is not a sour saison by any means. There is some brightness and acidity that reminds of a lemon berliner, but it is clearly a saison that has added complexity. Just so well made and effortlessly drinkable. Why did I share this and not just drink the whole bottle? I kid obviously, but you may want to hoard this one.

4.74/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.8% abv 750ml bottle split with JLindros and Rudzud.

A: Pours into a Treehouse tulip a very soapy 1/2-1/4 inch head that dissipates quickly leaving very solid, very soapy lacing. No head retention, but great lacing. Darker golden sunset hue.

S: Oh my! Smells very tart, very lactic acid like, Great lactic, brett type mix. Reminiscent of Flora. Oh my.

T: What an amazing taste. Very tart up front, quit sour but extremely balanced. There are very obvious green apple notes, great funk, citrus like almost.

M: Quite milky for what it is. Frothy even. Nice citric acid, big salivary gland action caused by this but again very balanced, not overly sour. Wow.

O: Pretty perfect. What else could I want? I literally have no complaints about this beer. Would jump in a heartbeat at the chance to drink this again and would obviously purchase it at a moment's notice.

Le Saisonnier from Side Project Brewing