Reactor - Tapistry Brewing

Beer added by: BrewtalHonesty on 10-23-2013

to view more.
Ratings: 28 | Reviews: 5
3.49/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a four pack of Tapistry Brewing's Reactor last week at The Lager Mill. I haven't had any beers from this brewery before and I'm interested to see what they are all about, so lets see how it goes. The canning date wasn't fully readable. Poured from a tall 16oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks nice, it's got a nice design to it that goes well with the name and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a hazy orange color that took on more of an orange and red color when held to the light with one fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of patchy lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, but I wish it had a little better head and retention.

S- The aroma starts off a higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart a nice mixture of grassy, light floral and citrus hops with the citrus hops sticking out the most impart a nice candied orange rind like aroma. Up next comes just a slight bit of doughy yeast that leads into a light malt aroma with some grainy, sweet malt and light caramel malt aromas coming through. The aroma is nice, I like the hop profile, but I wouldn't mind some balance.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with those candied citrus rind aspects still sticking out the most. Up next comes a slight bit of doughy yeast that leads into the malts which are pretty light and only impart a sweet malt and slightly grainy flavor. On the finish it's just a little watery with a medium amount of bitterness with a hoppy candied citrus rind aftertaste. This was a nice tasting IPA, I like the hop profile, but I thought the malt aspect was lacking.

M- Smooth, a little crisp, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is pretty nice and works well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a decebt beer and I thought it was a slightly above average example of the style, it had a pretty nice hop profile, but when it came to the malts it was lacking and I feel like it needed some nice caramel malt flavors to tie everything together. This beer has nice drinkability, it's smooth, a little crisp, not too filling and the taste does an ok job at holding my attention, I think one can is the perfect amount for me. What I like the most about this beer is the hop profile, it's pretty nice. What I like the least about this beer is the lack of malts in the flavor in aroma, i wish there was more of a malt presence. I don't think I would buy this again, but I wouldn't turn it down and I can't say I would recommend it as a standout IPA. All in all I this isn't a bad beer, but it does need a little work. IT made for an OK first impression for this brewery and it's pretty close to being average for the style. I appreciate the effort, but with a little work I think this could be a pretty nice IPA, better luck next time.

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

16 ounce can into tulip glass, canned on 3/27/2015. Pours slightly hazy deep orange/amber color with a 1-2 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, pine, herbal, floral, grass, light caramel, toasted bread, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of citrus/piney hops and moderate bready malt notes; with good strength. Taste of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, orange peel, citrus rind, pine, herbal, floral, grass, light caramel, toasted bread, and herbal/grassy earthiness. Good amount of pine/citrus rind bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon/orange peel, citrus rind, pine, light caramel, toasted bread, and herbal/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice complexity and balance of citrus/piney hops and moderate bready malt flavors; with good malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, moderately sticky, and lightly creamy mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very nice standard C hopped IPA. All around good complexity and balance of citrus/piney hops and moderate bready malt flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

4.02/5  rDev +5.5%

A - Pours a cloudy burnt orange with a large three-finger off-white sturdy head. The head dissapates slowly leaving tons of soapy lacing.

S - Aromas of mango, grapefruit, and caramel malts.

T - The flavor starts off with a mix of juicy oranges, mango, and caramel malts. The sweetness fades into piney hops and grapefruit. There is some nice lingering bitterness in the finish.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Very smooth mouthfeel.

O - This is a nice juicy IPA with a good mix of tropical fruits and piney hops. This is my second beer from Tapistry and I have been impressed by both.

4.07/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

To me the best thing about this brew is the smell. A very minty aroma and unique for an ipa. Other than that it's not terrible but not great. Worth a try.

The Tapistry IPAs I had were very unimpressive. This was just OK with little to no aroma or mouth feel.

to view more.