Reactor - Tapistry Brewing

Beer added by: BrewtalHonesty on 10-23-2013

Reviews by kilopaparomeo:
3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

3.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

3.43/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.81/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.16/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Can date of 08/18/15

Clear amber color with a finger of head that had good retention. Not much lacing is left down the glass. Smells like an old IPA. I realize it is two months old but I expect it to last a little longer in the can. I smell a lot of sweet malt accompanied by a citrus hop aroma. I like the old school hop choices but I assume they have faded fast. I taste the sweet caramel malt and a lot of bitterness. Faint citrus and pine comes in near the finish. A bigger IPA in body and has nice carbonation that gives a pleasant mouthfeel.

3.84/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.34/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.34/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.44/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

16 fluid ounce can
Served in a tulip glass

This beer pours a deep amber color with bright orange highlights. It is topped with an inch of beige head.

I start out smelling some citrus. Then I pick up some pine and caramel malt.

The taste begins benign enough with some caramel malt. Then before I know what is happening my mouth is assaulted by aggressive hop bitterness. It coats my entire mouth. All I can taste is bitter.

Medium mouthfeel

If you like aggressively bitter IPA's, then this beer is for you. I like the citrus and tropical IPA's. I'll leave this one on the shelves for the lover of the former IPA.

3.54/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.49/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a four pack of Tapistry Brewing's Reactor last week at The Lager Mill. I haven't had any beers from this brewery before and I'm interested to see what they are all about, so lets see how it goes. The canning date wasn't fully readable. Poured from a tall 16oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks nice, it's got a nice design to it that goes well with the name and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a hazy orange color that took on more of an orange and red color when held to the light with one fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of patchy lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, but I wish it had a little better head and retention.

S- The aroma starts off a higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart a nice mixture of grassy, light floral and citrus hops with the citrus hops sticking out the most impart a nice candied orange rind like aroma. Up next comes just a slight bit of doughy yeast that leads into a light malt aroma with some grainy, sweet malt and light caramel malt aromas coming through. The aroma is nice, I like the hop profile, but I wouldn't mind some balance.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with those candied citrus rind aspects still sticking out the most. Up next comes a slight bit of doughy yeast that leads into the malts which are pretty light and only impart a sweet malt and slightly grainy flavor. On the finish it's just a little watery with a medium amount of bitterness with a hoppy candied citrus rind aftertaste. This was a nice tasting IPA, I like the hop profile, but I thought the malt aspect was lacking.

M- Smooth, a little crisp, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is pretty nice and works well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a decebt beer and I thought it was a slightly above average example of the style, it had a pretty nice hop profile, but when it came to the malts it was lacking and I feel like it needed some nice caramel malt flavors to tie everything together. This beer has nice drinkability, it's smooth, a little crisp, not too filling and the taste does an ok job at holding my attention, I think one can is the perfect amount for me. What I like the most about this beer is the hop profile, it's pretty nice. What I like the least about this beer is the lack of malts in the flavor in aroma, i wish there was more of a malt presence. I don't think I would buy this again, but I wouldn't turn it down and I can't say I would recommend it as a standout IPA. All in all I this isn't a bad beer, but it does need a little work. IT made for an OK first impression for this brewery and it's pretty close to being average for the style. I appreciate the effort, but with a little work I think this could be a pretty nice IPA, better luck next time.

3.34/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Tapistry Brewing Company Reactor.

Hmmm...Pretty sure this is my first beer out of these guys since I've never heard of them. Pretty sure the beer name is correct since it says so on the can. Always look forward to trying a new brew out of somebody and especially when it is from somebody I've never had a beer from. Enough talk, let's see what we get.

Look - From the pint can into a pilsener glass. Pours a perfect mixture of amber and golden. Almost like they did a fusion dance and come together for one beautiful combined color with a touch of the sun to light up the world. Damn I'm smooth, could talk to yo momma that way and still get it. Head is massuve and slightly off white, so big you have to dig some out with a spoon otherwise you'd be here all day pouring it off and on. Quite bubbly as well and also exceptionally frothy. Carbonation levels appear to be low with this one. Head retains exceptionally well and leaves a TON of lacing everywhere.

Smell - Smells a lot like pine. Centennial hops for days on this beer. High levels of maltyness and well. Touch of chinook which over the past few months I have grown to appreciate especially since this is fresh and has yet tk take on their notorious onion like overtones.

Taste - Weird as it may sound, I'm starting to truly aplreciate these hops for how different they are from the traditional combinations. The hops are very...moderate and slightly bready with a large touch of what people often confuse with ' cat piss ' though it surely doesn't taste like that anymore. Bits of onion, garlic, and vinegar though once again I don't hate it at all. And certainly not as much as I used to.

Feel - The body is full though sits quite lightly if that makes any sense. Flavors develop a bit more towards those undesirable realms that I do not wish to speak of so I shan't allow it to sit again. Carbonation is quite low.

Overall - Well I've made it this far into a pint of a cat piss/ Onion / Garlic bomb. Admittedly, this id not a bad beer. Also, this is brewed with a combination of hops that simply do not appeal to ME. If you like Chinook, you'll go head over balls/clit for this beer. I personally, don't care much for it. But, as far as those flavors go, this was the best one that offered them. Doubt I'd have again due to that fact, but I can't complain too much..

3.77/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.18/5  rDev +13.9%

4.02/5  rDev +9.5%

A - Pours a cloudy burnt orange with a large three-finger off-white sturdy head. The head dissapates slowly leaving tons of soapy lacing.

S - Aromas of mango, grapefruit, and caramel malts.

T - The flavor starts off with a mix of juicy oranges, mango, and caramel malts. The sweetness fades into piney hops and grapefruit. There is some nice lingering bitterness in the finish.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Very smooth mouthfeel.

O - This is a nice juicy IPA with a good mix of tropical fruits and piney hops. This is my second beer from Tapistry and I have been impressed by both.

3.23/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.52/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Served out of a 16 ounce can.
The can is dated June 16th 15.
The color is on the darker side for an IPA and looks great in the glass. Small thin head upon pour.I had it in the freezer getting cold so this may have been a factor . Beautiful nonetheless.
Smell pretty faint for me to pick up anything but definitely hop presence with some malt soul thrown this beer. The taste is obviously a little fallen off I think due to its age but, it has this agresive mouth feel and big dry hopped flavor in the resonate mouth feel. Mouth for me is a big medium. The small bubbles never seem to stop as evidence in the great lacing The Reactor mother fucking Provides fo' your ass! Overall this is a good IPA that I will want to try fresh.

3.46/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.82/5  rDev +4.1%