Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Sierra Blanca Roswell Alien Amber - Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande)

Sierra Blanca Roswell Alien AmberSierra Blanca Roswell Alien Amber

Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande) visit their website
New Mexico, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Gusler on 07-22-2004

We have blended eight different types of barley to create this amber ale. It appeals to the largest segment of craft beer drinkers who enjoy a smooth, malty ale with no hop bitterness.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sierra Blanca Roswell Alien Amber Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.49/5  rDev +13.3%

Appearance: amber colored. Slightly hazy. Slight head

Smell: smells of malts. No hop aroma

Taste: pretty tame but well balanced. Slightly sour.

Mouthfeel: puckering dry from the sourness. Light bodied. Med carb

Drinkability: I could put back a few of these.

3.26/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Surprisingly, I found nothing bad or overly dull about this gimmicky beer. I like that it stays in theme. Seems the entire town of Roswell is a gimmick. Not that I have a problem with that. Anyway, onto the beer, it definitely stands out from the amber ale crowd. It's got a yeasty thickness and a distinct taste of wheat. It's got little to no hop bitterness. These are things I generally appreciate in a beer, but all in all, I can't really say I find anything pleasant about this beer. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think it could use a hop or two. I would say this nice yeasty beer is basically "OK" as far as the flavour going on and I absolutely wouldn't suggest drinking it anywhere near Roswell. Not refreshing at all. Maybe up in the mountains, it'd be pleasant, but not at its craft brew price tag. I regret saying anything bad about a beer that's trying to stay away from hops, but I would not buy this again. It's decent, but not worth paying for.

3.15/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours an amber color with an off-white head. Virtually unnoticeable presence of co2, slippery lace and poor head retention. Pretty subtle aroma: smells sweet, with a little caramel and fruity esters, and some hop notes. Flavor is sweet and the mouthfeel is livelier than expected (but not much) ? some fizz and a hop finish that takes up the rear after a few sips. All in all an ok drink for The Land of Enchantment, but nothing to write home (or any other planets).

2.83/5  rDev -8.1%

Look, I’m just going to come out and say it. I bought this one because I’m an X-Files geek (or an X-Phile to those “in the know”) and I just couldn’t resist a bottle with a green alien head on it. I have high hopes for this beer just based on bottle design alone, so let’s see if it can live up to them. Pours – well look at this – amber. Beer looks like it’s filtered or they use finings – it’s damn clear. I could probably read a newspaper if the light was a bit brighter. Beer comes out lightly carbonated and the head disappears fast and pretty much without a trace. Aroma is malt backbone – again I’m travelling and my sinuses can get me gummed up from time to time, so this could be on me – and faint. Smells pretty good, actually. Very inviting malt aroma. My fist impression on my first taste is of forward malt sweetness, but there’s this (sorry for the cliché) alien thing going on in the finish. Something’s sticking out and I’m not quite sure what it is. It’s like this metallic / green apple / sour grape / fruit mineral thing. Maybe chewable vitamins is a good description? It’s out of place with this beer, which calls for a clean finish that this beer just doesn’t have. Seems like they tried to mask things by making it sweet, as the beer leans that way, for sure. It’s almost too sweet. It really has a cumulative effect as you continue to drink it and becomes somewhat cloying. More carbonation would scrub the palate a bit more, making the drink more enjoyable in the process. The best part of this beer was the beginning, including my anticipation of the first pour and the first sip before I got the weird fruit thing gong on. Overall I’m nonplussed but I’ll still likely pick up a bottle for the wife, as she’s an even bigger X-Phile than I am.

3.06/5  rDev -0.6%

Pours a nice clear amber color with a small white head made of small bubbles that dissipates rapidly. Sweet bouquet, toffee notes but not overpowering. The Alien is sweet from sip to swallow but the aftertaste is sour and very slightly metallic. This beer is not very refreshing but is modest alcohol contest and its lack of palate complexity do not make it particularly hard to drink.

12 oz bottle bought on impulse for the name.

Appearance was an amber color with white head

Smell sweet malt with a light hops

Taste was a mix of oak, vanilla and some smokiness to it.

Mouthfeel medium with some carbonation feel

Overall not bad but nothing that really stands out except the name.

2.35/5  rDev -23.7%

A- It's an amber. It poured an amber color. Nothing too impressive.

S- Spices and a few hops.

T- Spice with an unpleasant hop finish. Not the good kind.

M- Not too much here.

D- I'll not be having another.

Definitely brewed for alien enthusiasts. Not a whole lot of effort here.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Sierra Blanca Roswell Alien Amber from Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande)