Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza - Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande)

Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile CervezaRio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza

good

Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande) visit their website
New Mexico, United States

Chile Beer |  4.67% ABV

This beer has an unmistakable roasted chile aroma and flavor without being too hot. The whole chile is used to infuse the beer with a mild green chile flavor and leaves you with just a hint of heat on the back end.

(Beer added by: twiggamortis420 on 01-31-2010)
Reviews by eclaycamp:
3.08/5  rDev -6.7%

I really have no idea what I’m getting into with this beer. Tomorrow is Cinco De Mayo and I picked up what I initially thought would be your basic Mexican Lager (Cerveza is Spansih, after all). But a closer inspection of the label informs me that this is a berr with green chili flavor. No other pertinent information is available, which means no ABV, etc. Let me just say that I’ve had my share of chili beers that I’ve liked (Rogue Chipotle, Weston Labs #2, Flat Branch Green Chili, etc.), but more often than not they’re revolting (Cave Creek Chili Beer). Let’s see what this guy has to say. Pours a light straw that’s crystal clear, with a big foamy head that dies as quickly as it begins. So far so good. It looks like beer. First aroma is stale green chili and not much else. First taste is weird. There’s this very metallic and mineral aftertaste and not much else, except maybe a little bit of chili heat (nothing overwhelming) at the end. Second taste yields a bit more flavor, as both the beer character and the green chile flavor are finessed. I’m glad this thing isn’t the palate destroyer that I had feared when first opening the bottle, but I’m also a bit disappointed that it’s not a bit more substantial. This beer would be killer with some nice pork tacos or other spicy Mexican food. On it’s own it’s a little bit of a let down.

eclaycamp, May 05, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #49 (Feb 2011):

With the pop of the cap, the nose is invaded by an even green-chili flavor. Crystal-clear golden color and fine bubbles keep the lacing alive. Fluffy crispness in this lighter-bodied beer. Green chili flavor is very prevalent from start to finish, very even, while still letting other flavors through. Beery flavors ensue, with fermented grain and a quick kiss of hops. Clean dry finish with a very mild chili warmth. It screams "lunchtime beer"--what a great way to wake up the palate. Without a doubt this is a very well put together chili beer.

BeerAdvocate, Apr 07, 2011
1.05/5  rDev -68.2%

I think I may have been given bottle #5 of the 6-pack that GCBrewingCO bought. I *should* thank AKSmokedPorter for this, but I think kicking him in the balls for this concoction would be more appropriate.

The appearance is the only redeeming feature of this beer. Clear, amber-tinged straw. Negative head. None. Swirl the glass. Nothing. And it gets worse. Maybe it's 'cuz I'm not a chile pepper fan, but a beer bottle is NOT supposed to emit odors like this. Overpowering tendrils of powerful chile snake out the bottle and rape my nostrils. Flavor? Really nothing other than an excuse to take a layer or two of flesh off my tongue. I don't think I've ever come closer to a voluntary refunding of beer. I was afraid to pour it down the sink as I thought the resulting stench would be blamed on my recent visit to Taco Bell.

Maybe someone could show me the way, but I'll gladly steer clear of chile beers in the future, thank you very much.

Notes: So much for the beer I bought AKSP in Seattle. After this, he doesn't deserve it.

OldFrothingSlosh, Sep 30, 2005

LXIXME, Nov 25, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -31.8%

avisong, Nov 16, 2013
3.13/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours an effervescent gold with 2 fingers of pearl white head. Minimal head retention & lacing

S: Peppery & chile notes, smells like a beer of this ilk should!

T: Karo syrup/apple sweetness & slight pepper spice & dryness up front. Chile spice/slight heat& faint smokeyness tries to fight through sweetness. Finishes a little dry, with pears notes & slight heat

MF: Light bodied, carbonation is okay, but skews way too sweet

Started out with promise, the promise of Chile heat, but delivers far too little in the end, sigh...

russpowell, May 18, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +15.2%

Yes, I would have this beer again. I don't think it gets a fair shake from most people. I was a little afraid to try it myself and looked at the bottle wondering why the heck I bought it. Got it at Tops in Phoenix.

APPEARANCE: Respectable looking. Nice clear, medium gold color with just a little foam that quickly disappeared.

AROMA: Smells like a light lager beer with--no surprise here--noticible green chile aroma.

TASTE: Again, no surprise, tastes like a light later with chile flavoring. Imagine a Bud Light Lime or Miller Child WITHOUT the lime and bit more Chile kick and you've got the idea.

MOUTHFEEL was medium with nice carbonation--not too much and not flat. Pretty smooth considering the pepper.

cdcarresq, Jan 24, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -10.6%

Being from Arizona, where "Everything is available with "Salsa", "Chilies" are a mainstay of many meals, this should be a "Hoot". The beer pours a translucent gold color on the pour, the head minimal in size, the lace sparse, both off white in color. Nose, the "archetypal green chili" aroma with a start that is slightly sweet, the top waterish in feel. Finish is dry, sparingly acidic, middling on the hops, dry and a pepper like twang, quite malt dry aftertaste. Spicy to be sure, different “That’s a fact Jack”, actually drinkable, unlike the Arizona version Ed's Chili Beer which I will rate at a later time.

Gusler, Dec 03, 2002
4.25/5  rDev +28.8%

TheBishopco, May 16, 2012
3.78/5  rDev +14.5%

It seems Sierra Blanca Brewing took over the old Rio Grande brewey and decided to carry on a few of their beers, this is one of them. 12 oz bottle pours a light yellow color with a thin and rapidly diminishing white foam. Readily apparent this is a lager based chile beer.

The nose is pretty nice as the green chiles smell very much like being fire roasted. As with most beers in this category, the chiles dominate every other aroma in the beer. That's fine with me as I dont know if I could ever get sick of eating, drinking or smelling them!

Tastes like the base of this beer is a pretty bland lager, there is a light graininess from the malt and that is balanced by a faint hop bitterness. The chiles are great, not overly powerful or hot, but the roasted flavor has the faintest reminder of cardboard. This is far from the abomination that is Cave Creek, it's a pretty drinkable beer. There is a very slight heat in the back of the throat, but nothing dramatic. I probably will like this beer more than most, as I absolutely love green chiles in beer. This one is a pretty decent attempt, I like it.

twiggamortis420, Jan 31, 2010

brewyou2, Nov 18, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -11.2%

This beer was provided in trade by GCBrewingCo if I remember correctly. It's been a while. I just found it hiding in the back of my cellar, obviously too scared to drink it however many months ago. I feared it may be bad by now, but it was actually quite decent provided that this is a disgusting style.

The beer pours to a light clear yellow with no head (could be the age that this beer obviously is not meant to withstand). Nothing too impressive at all, but nothing off-putting.

The smell reminds me of my brother's chili. I've had chili beers that taste like peppers, but this one actually smells and tastes exactly like chili. It is intriguing, but the novelty wears off quick and you realize you are drinking a beer that tastes like chili. I like beer, and I like chili, and I like using beer to make my chili... but I realize I don't need a beer that tastes like chili. All I'm thinking now is that I also have a Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer in my fridge as well... I can only imagine how bad that one will be.

neonbrown82, Dec 16, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +29.7%

Pours a light gold with no head to speak of, only a rim. Aroma is like a freshly opened can of green chile. The taste is green chile dip on tortilla chips - cool! This is a absolutely great chile beer. Not hot at all but with big green chile flavor. New Mexicans (like me who love green chile) should flock to this. I'm going to have to try this with all sorts of New Mexican foods such as chile rellenos or chicken enchiladas ... will update. Should be beautiful.

atomicbeer, Apr 28, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -12.1%

12oz bottle from GCBrewingCo as part of BIF 20. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, and what head did form (not much) was gone in a flash, leaving a few stray bubbles aroud the rim of the surface of the light golden brew. Absolutely no lacing. Aroma is dominated by green peppers, which one would expect. Taste is dominated by the pepperness in all facets, but some pale malt sweetness does poke its nose out here and there. Mouthfeel is limp, with little carbonation, and drinkability is so-so. Not one for pepper-haters, but seemingly not as bad as that other crazy pepper beer.

ppoitras, Aug 19, 2005
2.05/5  rDev -37.9%

Ok, this was for me an oddly dichotomous beer. On the one hand, I could tell there was some quality here. The actual beer underneath the chile would have been boring. Not much body or flavor, but the chile flavor is legit and actually meshes well with the beer. Still something about it doesn't sit well with me and I couldn't finish it.

aracauna, May 10, 2003

tom79mp, Aug 10, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -54.5%

bugbear, Feb 12, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -6.1%

Served in a Surly shaker pint glass.

Thanks to jefferz5000 for this bottle!

The ninth entry in SwillFest 2011. It pours a clear sallow topped by a half-finger of white foam. The nose comprises nothing more than jalapeno skin and seeds. The taste brings in more of the same, along with some greens, and the lightest possible touch of peppery heat. The body is pretty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, a kinda sad chile beer, but, to its credit, it doesn't try to overpower with crappy pepper heat, which definitely makes this easier to drink than most chile beers.

TMoney2591, Jul 03, 2011

Vigilante, Apr 15, 2013

Beermazter310, Dec 03, 2013
Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza from Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande)