Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza - Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande)

Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile CervezaRio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza

good

Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande) visit their website
New Mexico, United States

Chile Beer |  4.67% ABV

This beer has an unmistakable roasted chile aroma and flavor without being too hot. The whole chile is used to infuse the beer with a mild green chile flavor and leaves you with just a hint of heat on the back end.

(Beer added by: twiggamortis420 on 01-31-2010)
View: Beers (15) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza Alström Bros
OldFrothingSlosh

1.05/5  rDev -68.3%

I think I may have been given bottle #5 of the 6-pack that GCBrewingCO bought. I *should* thank AKSmokedPorter for this, but I think kicking him in the balls for this concoction would be more appropriate.

The appearance is the only redeeming feature of this beer. Clear, amber-tinged straw. Negative head. None. Swirl the glass. Nothing. And it gets worse. Maybe it's 'cuz I'm not a chile pepper fan, but a beer bottle is NOT supposed to emit odors like this. Overpowering tendrils of powerful chile snake out the bottle and rape my nostrils. Flavor? Really nothing other than an excuse to take a layer or two of flesh off my tongue. I don't think I've ever come closer to a voluntary refunding of beer. I was afraid to pour it down the sink as I thought the resulting stench would be blamed on my recent visit to Taco Bell.

Maybe someone could show me the way, but I'll gladly steer clear of chile beers in the future, thank you very much.

Notes: So much for the beer I bought AKSP in Seattle. After this, he doesn't deserve it.

09-30-2005 01:25:53 | More by OldFrothingSlosh
bugbear

District of Columbia

1.5/5  rDev -54.7%

02-12-2012 04:30:58 | More by bugbear
RblWthACoz

1.8/5  rDev -45.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

People in New Mexico have a little thing with their chiles. Well actually it is a big thing. Eat anywhere that serves regional cuisine and you will be asked "red, green, or both?" Chile is served on everything, so I guess it is only natural that someone makes a beer with it. While it may sound like a great idea, it ended up being a disaster in my mouth - and glass. No head whatsoever. The first sip actually burnt the back of my mouth a bit from the chile and after that the chile was so strong, I could barely keep it in my mouth. Now the question is what I am going to do with the other 5 bottles in my fridge. Not to mention the half full glass next to me that I won't be able to finish.

P.S. If a green chile could take a piss, this is what would be in the toilet.

12-30-2007 03:00:36 | More by RblWthACoz
aracauna

Georgia

2.05/5  rDev -38.1%

Ok, this was for me an oddly dichotomous beer. On the one hand, I could tell there was some quality here. The actual beer underneath the chile would have been boring. Not much body or flavor, but the chile flavor is legit and actually meshes well with the beer. Still something about it doesn't sit well with me and I couldn't finish it.

05-10-2003 01:09:22 | More by aracauna

soonerlight

06-01-2014 18:51:29 | More by soonerlight
ppoitras

2.9/5  rDev -12.4%

12oz bottle from GCBrewingCo as part of BIF 20. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, and what head did form (not much) was gone in a flash, leaving a few stray bubbles aroud the rim of the surface of the light golden brew. Absolutely no lacing. Aroma is dominated by green peppers, which one would expect. Taste is dominated by the pepperness in all facets, but some pale malt sweetness does poke its nose out here and there. Mouthfeel is limp, with little carbonation, and drinkability is so-so. Not one for pepper-haters, but seemingly not as bad as that other crazy pepper beer.

08-19-2005 20:41:34 | More by ppoitras
neonbrown82

Nebraska

2.93/5  rDev -11.5%

This beer was provided in trade by GCBrewingCo if I remember correctly. It's been a while. I just found it hiding in the back of my cellar, obviously too scared to drink it however many months ago. I feared it may be bad by now, but it was actually quite decent provided that this is a disgusting style.

The beer pours to a light clear yellow with no head (could be the age that this beer obviously is not meant to withstand). Nothing too impressive at all, but nothing off-putting.

The smell reminds me of my brother's chili. I've had chili beers that taste like peppers, but this one actually smells and tastes exactly like chili. It is intriguing, but the novelty wears off quick and you realize you are drinking a beer that tastes like chili. I like beer, and I like chili, and I like using beer to make my chili... but I realize I don't need a beer that tastes like chili. All I'm thinking now is that I also have a Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer in my fridge as well... I can only imagine how bad that one will be.

12-16-2005 06:01:09 | More by neonbrown82
Gusler

Arizona

2.95/5  rDev -10.9%

Being from Arizona, where "Everything is available with "Salsa", "Chilies" are a mainstay of many meals, this should be a "Hoot". The beer pours a translucent gold color on the pour, the head minimal in size, the lace sparse, both off white in color. Nose, the "archetypal green chili" aroma with a start that is slightly sweet, the top waterish in feel. Finish is dry, sparingly acidic, middling on the hops, dry and a pepper like twang, quite malt dry aftertaste. Spicy to be sure, different “That’s a fact Jack”, actually drinkable, unlike the Arizona version Ed's Chili Beer which I will rate at a later time.

12-03-2002 06:00:53 | More by Gusler

05-17-2012 02:37:38 | More by FriedGold2112
eclaycamp

Kansas

3.08/5  rDev -6.9%

I really have no idea what I’m getting into with this beer. Tomorrow is Cinco De Mayo and I picked up what I initially thought would be your basic Mexican Lager (Cerveza is Spansih, after all). But a closer inspection of the label informs me that this is a berr with green chili flavor. No other pertinent information is available, which means no ABV, etc. Let me just say that I’ve had my share of chili beers that I’ve liked (Rogue Chipotle, Weston Labs #2, Flat Branch Green Chili, etc.), but more often than not they’re revolting (Cave Creek Chili Beer). Let’s see what this guy has to say. Pours a light straw that’s crystal clear, with a big foamy head that dies as quickly as it begins. So far so good. It looks like beer. First aroma is stale green chili and not much else. First taste is weird. There’s this very metallic and mineral aftertaste and not much else, except maybe a little bit of chili heat (nothing overwhelming) at the end. Second taste yields a bit more flavor, as both the beer character and the green chile flavor are finessed. I’m glad this thing isn’t the palate destroyer that I had feared when first opening the bottle, but I’m also a bit disappointed that it’s not a bit more substantial. This beer would be killer with some nice pork tacos or other spicy Mexican food. On it’s own it’s a little bit of a let down.

05-05-2011 02:19:06 | More by eclaycamp
TMoney2591

3.1/5  rDev -6.3%

Served in a Surly shaker pint glass.

Thanks to jefferz5000 for this bottle!

The ninth entry in SwillFest 2011. It pours a clear sallow topped by a half-finger of white foam. The nose comprises nothing more than jalapeno skin and seeds. The taste brings in more of the same, along with some greens, and the lightest possible touch of peppery heat. The body is pretty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, a kinda sad chile beer, but, to its credit, it doesn't try to overpower with crappy pepper heat, which definitely makes this easier to drink than most chile beers.

07-03-2011 19:42:18 | More by TMoney2591
GCBrewingCo

3.1/5  rDev -6.3%

The beer opended with barely a wisp of carbonation leaving the bottle. It poured into the glass hazy with particulates pale golden straw and no head...none, nada, zip.

The aroma was green chillies, plain and simple. The whole time I was sniffing the aroma I was thinking, please, do not let this beer be a scotcher. The chillies overpower all other aromas that could possibly have been emitted from this beer. The chili aroma eventually takes your breath away.

The flavor was watery. The malt character was mostly absent and the chillies were actually well achieved in the flavor. The bittering was indecernable from the heat that came from the chillies which overpowered all else. There was a certain malt presence but the chillies drowned that out, however the heat was only mild to moderate.

The finish was even, not dry, not sweet and the chillie heat was in high in the back of the throat, not burning and not particularly overdone. The body was medium and the carbonation was nonexistent.

12 ounce bottle. No freshness dating. Purchased for $3.06 per six pack at Green's in Atlanta. This is a great beer for adding to chillie which is exactly what I plan to do with most of the rest of them.

04-13-2005 23:08:37 | More by GCBrewingCo
Nerudamann

Oregon

3.1/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from a bottle into a stein glass.

Look - light golden color, clear, with about half a finger's worth of foam that dissipates quickly.

Smell - smells just like the name suggests. It smells like straight up chiles.

Taste and Mouthfeel - taste matches the smell. It pretty much tastes like a chile, except that there is no spiciness (hot) to it. To be honest, I'm not a fan of the taste it has. Just seems like a combination that wasn't meant to be. Texture is a little on the watery side.

Overall - I've had other "chile" beers before, and although this is probably the best that I've tasted, I'm still not at all in love with the taste. Still, kudos to them for it not being horrible either.

06-29-2011 03:52:54 | More by Nerudamann
russpowell

3.13/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours an effervescent gold with 2 fingers of pearl white head. Minimal head retention & lacing

S: Peppery & chile notes, smells like a beer of this ilk should!

T: Karo syrup/apple sweetness & slight pepper spice & dryness up front. Chile spice/slight heat& faint smokeyness tries to fight through sweetness. Finishes a little dry, with pears notes & slight heat

MF: Light bodied, carbonation is okay, but skews way too sweet

Started out with promise, the promise of Chile heat, but delivers far too little in the end, sigh...

05-18-2011 02:29:26 | More by russpowell
beergoot

Colorado

3.23/5  rDev -2.4%

Pale, straw yellow color, white head that very quickly disappears (a common trait amongst chili beers - my understanding is the chili oils prohibit head formation/retention). Musty, chili aroma. Very mild flavor; not much chili 'oomph'. Slightly malty character. Thin body, somewhat watery. Crisp and clean.

A pretty basic and faceless chili beer. Underwhelming is my assessment, but I gave it a 3.5 rating for taste because you do get a light chili presence. I'm not sure, but it strikes me as being a lager as opposed to an ale. That might explain some of its smooth character. Perhaps a good 'starter' chili beer if someone is new to the style (and is afraid of too much heat) due to its mild nature. There are better examples out there.

07-19-2012 23:26:53 | More by beergoot
tom79mp

08-10-2013 06:35:45 | More by tom79mp
Razorback09

06-20-2013 21:33:59 | More by Razorback09
buckyp

South Carolina

12-29-2012 01:47:16 | More by buckyp
Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza from Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande)